• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Haylo

Story Wednesday, August 28, 2019

Is "saving my bacon" really common phrase? Sounds more like self-censure around the word "ass" ...

Also, second wrong about hair. First, Susan though that her claim that hair does spontaneously change color is ridiculous - proved wrong by Nanase. Now, Nanase thinks hair doesn't fill up with magic. Proven wrong by Susan. Interesting.

28 minutes ago, Haylo said:

So by actually needing to know (a wizard that doesn't know much about magic is known to be dangerous) Ashley behaves like normal people that can't resist prying?

There's that - specifically, she's more interested because it may directly affect her. In fact, considering she has very low magic, she may end up burned out regularly if they actually get rid of the clog and Moperville high-magic area.

There's also the fact that this party is as close to "make Ashley understand magic" it can get and stay party. If not more. I mean, there is no alcohol ...

And she might generally decide she needs to ask more after what happened.

The sideefect of making Nanase less suspicious is welcomed, though.

1 hour ago, The Old Hack said:

Yeah, it is. English can be weird like that. Yesterday I and some friends wondered precisely what was so great about being 'the bee's knees.' :icon_eek:

They are the cat's pajamas

1 hour ago, mlooney said:
3 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

Yeah, it is. English can be weird like that. Yesterday I and some friends wondered precisely what was so great about being 'the bee's knees.' :icon_eek:

They are the cat's pajamas

I'm sure that despite loud protests, someone DID managed to put pajamas on cat ... hmmm ... yeah:
Screen-Shot-2018-10-15-at-11.21.32-AM-80

There is also popular kind of pajamas like this:

adult-tabby-cat-pajama-costume.jpg

Neither is related to the phrase, but still, bee's knees are better example.

Just now, hkmaly said:

Nanase was baffled that Ashley wasn't asking lots of questions when they first met, she didn't think that was normal and so it bothered her, but now Ashley's asking questions and all's right in the world again.

It's kinda like how Justin gets bothered by Diane sounding too much like Susan sometimes, Justin and Nanase are just weird that way. ;)

Yay for starburst background in panel nine! It's a new and interesting variation too; almost a paint-splatter effect but less random.

9 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Is "saving my bacon" really common phrase? Sounds more like self-censure around the word "ass" ...

Sometimes certain self-censure phrases become so widely used that they become common phrases in and of themselves. Examples that come to mind include "What the heck" and "For cryin' out loud". (Also, I can't remember anyone else using it, but my grandfather would often say "Shoot a duck".)

9 hours ago, hkmaly said:

There's a common consensus that bacon is delicious and awesome, so saving bacon is generally appreciated.

More seriously, it's likely what ChronosCat mentioned: the self-censure phrase becoming so widely used that it just becomes a common phrase without the self-censure intent. The enjoyment of bacon likely helped that particular phrase spread though.

There is also this: previously, Ashley had mostly been involved in magic accidentally, pushed into situations by circumstances beyond the control of herself and the people around her. Other than Elliot (after the first time she saw him shift), Magus, and Sirleck, nobody had freely chosen to show her their magic. She knew that (a) it's something they try to keep secret and (b) it was none of her business beyond what might help people survive and get out of the situation.

NOW, magic IS something she needs to know about, and she knows that a major purpose of this party is to introduce her to magic and a group of magic-using people. Presumably everyone else at the party knows of this purpose, and therefore chooses to be there and share info about their magic with her. And the party is - hopefully - under controlled circumstances where nobody will find it necessary to reveal anything they'd prefer not to.

Darnitol

Now I've gone and made myself obsess over something

EIther I'll waste too much time looking into this, or get very upset with myself for not investigating.

But I am now wondering exactly how many EGS comics have specifically dealt with the interaction of hair and magic.

This seems to be a subject to which Dan returns frequently.

Is it at least once per year in "real" time? More often?

When was this subject first mentioned in the comic?  What was the longest gap between mentions?

Just now, Drasvin said:

There's a common consensus that bacon is delicious and awesome, so saving bacon is generally appreciated.

I'm sure Nanase would agree that Ellen is delicious and awesome. ;)

18 hours ago, Scotty said:
On 8/28/2019 at 7:46 AM, hkmaly said:

Nanase was baffled that Ashley wasn't asking lots of questions when they first met, she didn't think that was normal and so it bothered her, but now Ashley's asking questions and all's right in the world again.

It's kinda like how Justin gets bothered by Diane sounding too much like Susan sometimes, Justin and Nanase are just weird that way. ;)

I know and consider it more normal than Justin's reaction.

13 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

There is also this: previously, Ashley had mostly been involved in magic accidentally, pushed into situations by circumstances beyond the control of herself and the people around her. Other than Elliot (after the first time she saw him shift), Magus, and Sirleck, nobody had freely chosen to show her their magic. She knew that (a) it's something they try to keep secret and (b) it was none of her business beyond what might help people survive and get out of the situation.

NOW, magic IS something she needs to know about, and she knows that a major purpose of this party is to introduce her to magic and a group of magic-using people. Presumably everyone else at the party knows of this purpose, and therefore chooses to be there and share info about their magic with her. And the party is - hopefully - under controlled circumstances where nobody will find it necessary to reveal anything they'd prefer not to.

Yes. Already mentioned this is "make Ashley understand magic" party but didn't realized how important for Ashley might be that people knows that and are implying they don't mind by choosing to be there.

11 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Now I've gone and made myself obsess over something

EIther I'll waste too much time looking into this, or get very upset with myself for not investigating.

But I am now wondering exactly how many EGS comics have specifically dealt with the interaction of hair and magic.

This seems to be a subject to which Dan returns frequently.

Is it at least once per year in "real" time? More often?

When was this subject first mentioned in the comic?  What was the longest gap between mentions?

Good luck with it. The topic definitely appears a lot - no wonder, changing hair is quite obvious yet safe way to experiment - so it would be long quest to read all of that. If you get some result, can you post them on wiki?