• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Pharaoh RutinTutin

Story Friday August 30, 2019

This is totally Q&A worthy material. Did noone asked before? Wait ... they DID asked, this WAS in Q&A, only it was "explained" even worse than this. Finally we get at least acknowledgement.

... also, this would be good place to acknowledge Ashley's dark green hair.

25 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Grace, we know you want to be honest.  But you don't need to airquote "Home School".

True, government labs and The Nest were not much of a home.

She wasn't in any government lab. That was totally private lab.

26 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

But there are most assuredly much worse schools.

Also, I'm surprised she didn't specifically read all textbooks to catch up.

So Tedd doesn’t just have genes for purple hair? Odd that Nanase is counting Ellen’s green hair among the “mysterious” hair colors when they already know that her hair got that way from absorbing the Diamond’s energy.

22 minutes ago, Wanderer said:

So Tedd doesn’t just have genes for purple hair?

He doesn't have genes for purple melanin. I would suspect that his purple hair ARE related to some of the genes transmitting his magical talents.

2 hours ago, Wanderer said:

Odd that Nanase is counting Ellen’s green hair among the “mysterious” hair colors when they already know that her hair got that way from absorbing the Diamond’s energy.

Odd, yes. It's completely different case, more similar to how Susan has dark blue hair since awakening. But maybe she wanted to simplify that for Ashley ...

Hair dye is not mysterious, and we know their universe has it. Seeing random person X with unnaturally colored hair, you would still conclude "Hair dye" in their universe before "Used magic to change my hair color", unless you had a specific reason, probably a history with that person, to suspect otherwise.

Ellen's green hair was the result of magic, and Ashley saw that. That does not mean that Liz's hair is, and you'd think Ashley would know if it is dye, as the color would be more vivid when fresh and she'd see the natural roots sometimes. Maybe that implies Liz's hair is actually magically green; I'll vote for "Ashley is jumping to conclusions" until we see more evidence.

1 hour ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Hair dye is not mysterious

Says the dog that doesn't dye his hair.  Having been around people that do, and having done it a couple of time my self, getting hair dye to work right is a capital M Mystery.

10 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Hair dye is not mysterious, and we know their universe has it. Seeing random person X with unnaturally colored hair, you would still conclude "Hair dye" in their universe before "Used magic to change my hair color", unless you had a specific reason, probably a history with that person, to suspect otherwise.

You would conclude, yes. Of course you might be wrong.

The idea that group of people using hair dye would be able to confuse enough scientists the topic gets to be taught in schools is funny. They definitely tested for dye.

Ellen's green hair was the result of magic, and Ashley saw that. That does not mean that Liz's hair is

Well, no, but ...

you'd think Ashley would know if it is dye, as the color would be more vivid when fresh and she'd see the natural roots sometimes.

Also, like, Liz would probably mention the dye at least once.

Maybe that implies Liz's hair is actually magically green; I'll vote for "Ashley is jumping to conclusions" until we see more evidence.

Compared to other conclusion jumps made in the story this is rather solid conclusion. As you said, if Liz would dye her hair, Ashley would be likely to find out in all that time they're friends. And as just explained, mysterious hair colors (the kind you have since birth) are totally thing in EGS universe, so accepted that it's mentioned in school.

At this point, Occam's razor actually says that it's more likely there's ONE reason for people having green hair than two. Pity Liz is unlikely to have dragon power so there would be two reasons anyway.

10 hours ago, mlooney said:

Says the dog that doesn't dye his hair.  Having been around people that do, and having done it a couple of time my self, getting hair dye to work right is a capital M Mystery.

Lol, that's fair.

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

You would conclude, yes. Of course you might be wrong.

WOT? Tedd says in panel 5 it's dye!  ; p    Also, I can't believe that scene is that long ago.

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

The idea that group of people using hair dye would be able to confuse enough scientists the topic gets to be taught in schools is funny. They definitely tested for dye.

And as just explained, mysterious hair colors (the kind you have since birth) are totally thing in EGS universe, so accepted that it's mentioned in school.

If it happens naturally, it is no longer mysterious.

I took it to be artistic license and individual stylistic choice until it was occasionally pointed out to be otherwise, though up to now, it tended to be both dye and later magic, if magic was involved. Tedd's pink hair does not preclude magic pink covering dyed purple, if it was dyed.

If he uniquely has natural purple hair, he should stand out in a crowd for that, although folks might assume like I would that it is dyed. If he is one of many, then it's not mysterious in his universe. Similarly Rich's blue, Liz's green, and so on. Even the ones that are magic won't stand out if everyone assumes they are dye, per Occam's Razor which you site. Also George seems to have taken a change blindness immunity feat.

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

Well, no, but ...

Also, like, Liz would probably mention the dye at least once.

Compared to other conclusion jumps made in the story this is rather solid conclusion. As you said, if Liz would dye her hair, Ashley would be likely to find out in all that time they're friends.

Liz mentioning: we don't know that she didn't. She hasn't had all that much face time, and it is usually counter-culture comedy relief, or more recently underscoring plot points, and then the big reveal on the roof top that hasn't panned out to be much of anything yet but feels like it's meant to foreshadow ... not much room for chit chat like "I dye my hair" that you've probably already assumed.

Solid conclusion: They have dye in their universe, has been mentioned. Has not been mentioned that they have bright colors, but no reason to think they'd be deficient. FWIW, there is at least some positive correlation between dying your hair a bright color and being Goth; neither require the other, also dying your hair black, but at least some positive correlation.

Solid conclusion: They have magic, magic can color hair, few people have magic. It generally isn't magic. That conclusion does not work so well with our crew of interest.

Not a conclusion yet: People are born in their universe with what in our universe would be unnatural colored hair. Clearly stated, mysteriously colored hair is contrary to genetics, in their universe. TBD what exactly that means. I'll bet cookies (which I'll eat either way) that Dan revisits this shortly because it is not clear from the current comic and Dan will have to field questions.

Ashley would be likely to find out (already knows): I agree.

Trolling: Liz is short for lizard, she's actually a lizard person, and when she's transformed as human, the green from her scales goes to her hair.

Trolling, take 2: She's not a lizard person, she's actually is a green dragon in human form.

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

At this point, Occam's razor actually says that it's more likely there's ONE reason for people having green hair than two. Pity Liz is unlikely to have dragon power so there would be two reasons anyway.

At this point we already know Occam's Razor is wrong, there's at least two reasons in their universe, maybe a third.

Occam could have made this easy by just shaving everyone with his Razor. No more hair color controversy.

5 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:
7 hours ago, hkmaly said:

And as just explained, mysterious hair colors (the kind you have since birth) are totally thing in EGS universe, so accepted that it's mentioned in school.

If it happens naturally, it is no longer mysterious.

It is if we (or them) don't know how.

I took it to be artistic license and individual stylistic choice until it was occasionally pointed out to be otherwise, though up to now, it tended to be both dye and later magic, if magic was involved. Tedd's pink hair does not preclude magic pink covering dyed purple, if it was dyed.

Technically, it doesn't. However, dying your hair is not that easy, as already mentioned. Susan must've been really determined to keep long dyed hair all the time. Tedd doesn't seem like someone who would dye his hair ... I mean, not unless female.

If he uniquely has natural purple hair, he should stand out in a crowd for that, although folks might assume like I would that it is dyed. If he is one of many, then it's not mysterious in his universe. Similarly Rich's blue, Liz's green, and so on. Even the ones that are magic won't stand out if everyone assumes they are dye, per Occam's Razor which you site.

Based on this page, he is one of many. Like, maybe not that many, but there is definitely more people with naturally and mysteriously purple hair than seers.

And yes, people you meet on street may assume it's dye but people who knows you better ...

Liz mentioning: we don't know that she didn't. She hasn't had all that much face time, and it is usually counter-culture comedy relief, or more recently underscoring plot points, and then the big reveal on the roof top that hasn't panned out to be much of anything yet but feels like it's meant to foreshadow ... not much room for chit chat like "I dye my hair" that you've probably already assumed.

WE don't know. ASHLEY would know. She was around Liz much more often than we did.

Not a conclusion yet: People are born in their universe with what in our universe would be unnatural colored hair. Clearly stated, mysteriously colored hair is contrary to genetics, in their universe. TBD what exactly that means. I'll bet cookies (which I'll eat either way) that Dan revisits this shortly because it is not clear from the current comic and Dan will have to field questions.

Depends how many people find it as hard to understand as you do. I find it quite clear.

In our universe, there are clear verifiable links between genes, amount and kinds of melanin, and hair and eye color. It's so clear that it's used as example of genetics, along with blood type.

In EGS universe, the same links exists for presumably majority of people. But, there is big minority where it doesn't work. Some of them have bright hair colors, which may be natural but definitely not caused by melanin. Some have quite normal color, but it still doesn't match rest of their family or results of DNA tests of melanin-related genes. There is obviously at least one additional factor determining hair color, but between not being that common, not being that easy to find and people knowing they have magic not wanting to be tested scientists still didn't found it.

7 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Pity Liz is unlikely to have dragon power so there would be two reasons anyway.

Trolling: Liz is short for lizard, she's actually a lizard person, and when she's transformed as human, the green from her scales goes to her hair.

Trolling, take 2: She's not a lizard person, she's actually is a green dragon in human form.

Well ... yes, Liz may be dragon pretending to be human. Or one of her ancestors was. Wouldn't be so weird in EGS. Pandora would likely notice, but may not find it remarkable.

Or, well, we have Catalina Bobcat and Kitty. Maybe Liz has name-based affinity coloring her hair green.

2 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Judging by how so many people with magic have found their way into our little group, I think Dan could justify "People with magic tend to attract each other."

That's so obviously true it doesn't need to be justified. Remember that Elliot (and Ellen) only has any magic BECAUSE they are friends with Tedd and Nanase, Justin due to Nanase, Sarah due to Tedd (Pandora wouldn't notice her otherwise), and Nanase and Tedd are relatives. Even Susan got her mark due to being around Nanase, although it's true she already had magic talent.

Also, number of magic users in Moperville is way over the average, Pandora made sure of that.

And, like ... Dan doesn't usually do "fate", but if there is something like that in EGS, there is totally going to be something causing people with magic talents being attracted to seers. Hell, maybe Will of Magic does it, or rather it's part of the whole seer setup along with their ability to teach magic after reset. It would be quite hard for them to teach magic if everyone around would be without talent ...

It's actually weirder that so many non-cis-hetero people ended in that little group. I mean, sure, LGBTQK+ people sort of do attract each other, but it's usually only when they start searching.

.... oh, wait, this one is on Elliot. He deliberately befriended bully victims, that's going to raise the LGBTQK+ probability ...

I think there's also some degree of people who are "a little bit different" tending to congregate because of the way other people treat them... before they even begin to figure out why they are "a little bit different". And often when they are also "a little bit different" from each other...

2 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Technically, it doesn't. However, dying your hair is not that easy, ...

I have numerous nearby hair care outlets, offspring units, and stained towels that give evidence otherwise, but worst case, you can easily pay to have it done for you at your barber/hair stylist. I've done my own for job interviews on occasion (it seems to help, might be my expectations more than the actual coloring), and I would not call it difficult; I just followed the instructions. (To be fair, I picked a brand that looked easy to use in the store.) I have a coworker who has his done regularly by his stylist. Come to think of it, so did my mom.

WE don't know. ASHLEY would know. She was around Liz much more often than we did.

Rewind, we've both said Ashley should know. There are some subtle factors why she might not. She hasn't known Liz all that long, so if Liz had a different hair color years ago, she wouldn't know (well, she might have seen an old photo). They hang out online a lot, not necessarily helpful in this regard. If Liz dyes, we don't know how well or how often, nor how secretive she is. (See above, said coworker does this to hide that his hair is no longer naturally red; my mom had similar motivation.) You can, if you dye often enough, keep the roots from showing; not that it's healthy for your hair.

Another factor is Ashley herself. She kind of lives in her head and in her fantasies more so than the norm. She is not the realist, like Liz, Susan, and Diane, so what does that make her? I'm thinking that it is not out of character for her to leap to a wrong conclusion, hold it tentatively, and refine it as she goes. Look at her reaction to Elliot's transformation, she immediately connected it to Ranma (as did Greg). I don't see it as out of character for her to be discussing magic hair color and thinking Liz's green is magical with little evidence.

(People I'm around are very helpful with this. Whenever I get the crazy notion that people behave reasonably, they never fail to provide evidence to the contrary.)

Depends how many people find it as hard to understand as you do. I find it quite clear.

In our universe, there are clear verifiable links between genes, amount and kinds of melanin, and hair and eye color. It's so clear that it's used as example of genetics, along with blood type.

In EGS universe, the same links exists for presumably majority of people. But, there is big minority where it doesn't work. Some of them have bright hair colors, which may be natural but definitely not caused by melanin. Some have quite normal color, but it still doesn't match rest of their family or results of DNA tests of melanin-related genes. There is obviously at least one additional factor determining hair color, but between not being that common, not being that easy to find and people knowing they have magic not wanting to be tested scientists still didn't found it.

You misunderstand; I do not find "Bright colored hair of various hues is common" difficult to understand; I just don't believe the comic has actually stated that, evidence that Nanase calls it mysterious. To be fair, I also find the implied biology behind that troubling, because, as you point out, they would need melanin or a melanin analog on their world for the same reasons we do, but the reveal when the melanin is deficient being multi-hued makes less sense (although we have a rusty colored variant in our universe) and lacks a driving evolutionary reason for being. Maybe. I can't argue that birds aren't multi-hued. It is probably significant that non-fliers tend toward earthy tones, and the brightest colors can scoot away airborne.

Speaking of birds, it could be, if they have multi-hued hair, that it is not hair, but modified feathers; or hair with a similar structure. Feathers can be colored by their structure rather than by pigment. It amounts to the same thing, resonance at some wavelength. (I don't know if this is all the time, some time, or just certain colors).

Well ... yes, Liz may be dragon pretending to be human. Or one of her ancestors was. Wouldn't be so weird in EGS.

Liz is a dragon vs Liz is a goth and likes to color her hair, hmm, which one seems more likely? ... tough call. Going to have to ponder on this for a while.

Maybe Liz has name-based affinity coloring her hair green.

Trolling 3: Liz is a sentient ficus.

Trolling 4: Copper based blood is a real thing for some critters.

20 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:
3 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Technically, it doesn't. However, dying your hair is not that easy, ...

I have numerous nearby hair care outlets, offspring units, and stained towels that give evidence otherwise, but worst case, you can easily pay to have it done for you at your barber/hair stylist. I've done my own for job interviews on occasion (it seems to help, might be my expectations more than the actual coloring), and I would not call it difficult; I just followed the instructions. (To be fair, I picked a brand that looked easy to use in the store.) I have a coworker who has his done regularly by his stylist. Come to think of it, so did my mom.

I should have said "keeping it dyed". Doing it once probably isn't that difficult, but based on my mom, dying it often enough noone would notice is.

22 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Rewind, we've both said Ashley should know. There are some subtle factors why she might not. She hasn't known Liz all that long, so if Liz had a different hair color years ago, she wouldn't know (well, she might have seen an old photo). They hang out online a lot, not necessarily helpful in this regard. If Liz dyes, we don't know how well or how often, nor how secretive she is. (See above, said coworker does this to hide that his hair is no longer naturally red; my mom had similar motivation.) You can, if you dye often enough, keep the roots from showing; not that it's healthy for your hair.

Ok, I admit that it's just should. It's just that I don't see reason why would Liz hide it from her ; the reason of "coloring the hair to color it used to have naturally" is unlikely to apply.

25 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Another factor is Ashley herself. She kind of lives in her head and in her fantasies more so than the norm. She is not the realist, like Liz, Susan, and Diane, so what does that make her? I'm thinking that it is not out of character for her to leap to a wrong conclusion, hold it tentatively, and refine it as she goes. Look at her reaction to Elliot's transformation, she immediately connected it to Ranma (as did Greg). I don't see it as out of character for her to be discussing magic hair color and thinking Liz's green is magical with little evidence.

Yeah, IF Liz would be secretive enough, I can totally see Ashley would jump to that conclusion with little evidence.

However, there is still meta reason: conclusion jumping works more often in fiction than reality, because unless it's plot point that they made mistake, it's going to be true and author just didn't bothered with all the reasoning to make it evident.

29 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:

You misunderstand; I do not find "Bright colored hair of various hues is common" difficult to understand; I just don't believe the comic has actually stated that, evidence that Nanase calls it mysterious.

The reasoning is that if it's talked about in biology class, it can't be that rare.

... well, ok, actually it might be rare, it's just that if it would be rare they would mention it's rare in this context. The way they talked about it seems more likely it's something that in most classes the teacher can find example of.

On the other hand, children usually are not allowed to dye their hair until certain age ...

Meanwhile, the "mysterious" doesn't refer to how common it is, just how it's not explained well yet.

Also, we may doubt Liz, but Nanase and Tedd having mysterious hair color is proven: THEY know they don't dye it.

33 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:

To be fair, I also find the implied biology behind that troubling, because, as you point out, they would need melanin or a melanin analog on their world for the same reasons we do, but the reveal when the melanin is deficient being multi-hued makes less sense (although we have a rusty colored variant in our universe) and lacks a driving evolutionary reason for being. Maybe. I can't argue that birds aren't multi-hued. It is probably significant that non-fliers tend toward earthy tones, and the brightest colors can scoot away airborne.

Speaking of birds, it could be, if they have multi-hued hair, that it is not hair, but modified feathers; or hair with a similar structure. Feathers can be colored by their structure rather than by pigment. It amounts to the same thing, resonance at some wavelength. (I don't know if this is all the time, some time, or just certain colors).

All of those issues disappear if it's magic related. Hair color of fairies has nothing to do with melanin or evolution ... or physic at all. And we know fairies have children with humans. It's entirely possible that there are two results of this (transmitted together or separately): mysterious hair colors and magical talents.

I'm not sure how common that coloring by structure happens but yes I also read about it ; and if works better for bright colors than pigment. Especially if it's blue, as blue colors tend to be poisonous dangerously often. And while I don't expect any relation to birds, I wouldn't be surprised if those mysterious hair color would be caused by structure. If it would be pigment, it wouldn't be so mysterious ...

39 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Well ... yes, Liz may be dragon pretending to be human. Or one of her ancestors was. Wouldn't be so weird in EGS.

Liz is a dragon vs Liz is a goth and likes to color her hair, hmm, which one seems more likely? ... tough call. Going to have to ponder on this for a while.

Do you really consider more likely she's dragon than just having mysterious hair?

41 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Maybe Liz has name-based affinity coloring her hair green.

Trolling 3: Liz is a sentient ficus.

Trolling 4: Copper based blood is a real thing for some critters.

The joke with ficus notwithstanding, yes, Liz might be part plant and her hair being colored by chlorophyll. However, we know that Ellen's hair color is related to dragons, so this explanation seems not only less likely than Liz being part dragon, it would also not solve the issue of "all green hair color should have same source" we mentioned :)

There is no blood in hair, so I don't see any relation.

Hair colour might be an indication of Immortal ancestry, like Pandora was blonde, and so Susan and Diane are blonde, of course Adrian has black hair but maybe the males of the family get their colour from Blaike whereas the females from Pandora.

But then there's Nanase's family where Nanase has red hair, and Noriko apparently has red hair, but if this sketchbook is any indication, Nanase's father has the red hair, so unless Mama Kitsune dyes her hair, the red skipped her, or maybe because of their family's tradition of hooking up with other strong wizards, there's multiple Immortal ancestors mixing up hair colours.

This does mean that almost anyone has the potential to use magic, but as for affinities, they could be as hard to detect as Sarah's was.

7 hours ago, Scotty said:

Hair colour might be an indication of Immortal ancestry, like Pandora was blonde, and so Susan and Diane are blonde, of course Adrian has black hair but maybe the males of the family get their colour from Blaike whereas the females from Pandora.

Blaike was not immortal, but maybe it sort-of-works: Susan and Diane may have Pandora's mysterious blonde hair color, while Adrian has Blaike's mundane melanin-gene-based black.

But then there's Nanase's family where Nanase has red hair, and Noriko apparently has red hair, but if this sketchbook is any indication, Nanase's father has the red hair, so unless Mama Kitsune dyes her hair, the red skipped her, or maybe because of their family's tradition of hooking up with other strong wizards, there's multiple Immortal ancestors mixing up hair colours.

Putting aside the fact that red totally could've skipped her, yes they are likely to have multiple immortal ancestors (Tedd's hair is PURPLE). Also, Nanase's father may easily have talent or at least immortal ancestry as well, even if he's not awakened: there are mundane red hairs, but, like, the shade of red they have does look little unnatural ...

This does mean that almost anyone has the potential to use magic, but as for affinities, they could be as hard to detect as Sarah's was.

... in fact, based just on numbers, it's quite likely that almost everyone has some immortal ancestry. Note however that it doesn't mean they has magic potential: rules of EGS universe seem to allow the possibility of NOT inheriting your parent magic talent and/or affinity (or inherit just weak form of it as Sarah).

(Or, depending on definition of potential ... it's possible that people with no immortal ancestors can't get magic AT ALL - like, can't be marked, can't get name-based affinity, they may be even unable to use watches ... but noone noticed, as last person with no immortal ancestry died hundred years ago, around the time when horny sailors tried really hard to move MRCA closer to now. Seriously, Dan didn't do the math: if immortals already had children with humans as far back as ancient Egypt, people descended from them are far from being rare and just the fact that heredity and magic are not always as straighforward prevents everyone from being wizard ; and now with magic getting public, it's quite likely non-wizards will eventually get extinct anyway.)

Just now, hkmaly said:

Blaike was not immortal, but maybe it sort-of-works: Susan and Diane may have Pandora's mysterious blonde hair color, while Adrian has Blaike's mundane melanin-gene-based black.

That's what I meant, and we know Susan's dad had black hair too and Susan did say that Adrian without the disguise looked like her dad.

Also, I guess Pandora wasn't true blonde like Susan and Diane, so I'm not as certain now.

11 minutes ago, Scotty said:
35 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

That's what I meant, and we know Susan's dad had black hair too and Susan did say that Adrian without the disguise looked like her dad.

Also, I guess Pandora wasn't true blonde like Susan and Diane, so I'm not as certain now.

Looks blonde to me, and "true" is weird word to use for shapeshifter, but I agree it doesn't seem to be same hue.

Actually, looking at hues, seems Adrian's hair color doesn't matches Blaike either.

Ok, maybe Diane isn't good example of mysterious hair ... it's possible she has blond hair for mundane melanin reasons based on her mother and Susan having same color is just the Will of Magic making sure they notice they are related (and possibly Adrian having type).

Just because mysterious hair is from immortals (presumably) doesn't mean EVERY immortal is spreading mysterious hairs.

Just now, hkmaly said:

Actually, looking at hues, seems Adrian's hair color doesn't matches Blaike either.

Yeah, maybe I should have actually looked back, I was just going by memory when I originally posted, I obviously misremembered.

I had never thought of Tedd's hair color being "mysterious" (i.e. counter to genetics) in this sense. It seemed simple--a red hair gene from his maternal side, combined with a blue hair gene from his paternal side, and the combination results in purple hair.

2 hours ago, ijuin said:

I had never thought of Tedd's hair color being "mysterious" (i.e. counter to genetics) in this sense. It seemed simple--a red hair gene from his maternal side, combined with a blue hair gene from his paternal side, and the combination results in purple hair.

I'm not remembering who would make the specific "counter to genetics" claim necessary either. Like, sure, I'm not sure if blue and red hair color gene would actually result in purple (and not like multicolored hair or maybe different color) and the hair colors being mysterious is a way to avoid questions of how exactly would some bright colors work (as I - and also Darth Fluffy - said, blue pigment is extremely rare, most animals and plants cheat to get blue color, and purple dye used to be so rare it was reserved to emperors in ancient word), but the specific claim that it's contrary to genetics sounds like either I overlook someone or Dan is preparing something ...

18 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

but the specific claim that it's contrary to genetics sounds like either I overlook someone or Dan is preparing something ...

I dunno if it's because Tedd's a Seer or because there's something else about Tedd specifically due to how even the WoM felt it necessary to keep Van's identity as Tedd's half-brother from Tedd.  The idea of it being Seer related is shakey though since we don't know what Arthur's hair colour is, I'm assuming it's gray considering his age, but what was his original colour? Is Van's dual tone an indicator of something beyond who his parents are? Or did Van just want that style after seeing it on TV or something.

9 hours ago, Scotty said:
10 hours ago, hkmaly said:

but the specific claim that it's contrary to genetics sounds like either I overlook someone or Dan is preparing something ...

I dunno if it's because Tedd's a Seer or because there's something else about Tedd specifically due to how even the WoM felt it necessary to keep Van's identity as Tedd's half-brother from Tedd.  The idea of it being Seer related is shakey though since we don't know what Arthur's hair colour is, I'm assuming it's gray considering his age, but what was his original colour? Is Van's dual tone an indicator of something beyond who his parents are? Or did Van just want that style after seeing it on TV or something.

If you are trying to imply all seers have same hair color I find it very unlikely. First, Tedd directly said it's not related to magic potential, second, that would make very easy to identify seers.

Yes, Arthur probably had different hair color when younger.

Hmmm ... Van's hair is really interesting. Note that what we see is not reality, it's some dream-like space, and while Tedd and Arthur look like in reality we can't rule out Van doesn't. But maybe that's really how he looks ... in which case, well, two-color hair were not mentioned yet so maybe that's dye ... OR transformation. He's young but Noriko might already taught him some spells.

Just now, hkmaly said:

If you are trying to imply all seers have same hair color I find it very unlikely. First, Tedd directly said it's not related to magic potential, second, that would make very easy to identify seers.

No no, I was saying that being a Seer might put another twist on hair colours, like the mixing of the parent's colours to produce a different colour, Tedd's purple hair would appear to be a mix of Edward's blue and Noriko's red, but for Van, instead of being a mix, he end up with the two toned, though we can't be certain if he's got any red hair until Dan does Van in colour at some point.

But yeah, it would make it easy to identify Seers, if anyone is able to confirm it. I suspect one would need to find more than 3 confirmed Seer's and compare their hair colours against what is already considered unusual.