• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Pharaoh RutinTutin

Story Friday September 06, 2019

https://egscomics.com/comic/party-058

So anyone who has ever encountered Ranma 1/2, AND has ever done ANYTHING else should be expected to turn their non-magna interests into a combat technique?

Yes.  I can see how that would work.
And I have been sorely negligent in my development of Trivia-Fu.
Destroying lives and defending property by recklessly revealing irrelevant facts and reciting inappropriate quotes.

En Garde!

The naked mole-rat (Heterocephalus glaber) lacks a neurotransmitter chemical known as Substance P and can not feel pain in its skin.

Edited by Pharaoh RutinTutin
Spelling

Too bad Tedd refused Elliot's offer, that sounds like it could have lead somewhere ;)

Don't worry, Grace! It's not like I already know what your first post-training fight's going to be, who it's going to be with, and why it happens!

(Nobody tell Grace I actually know all those things)

This isn't ominous at all....

Let the speculation begin, let's see...

General Shade Tail

Voltaire

Tony (Though she kinda already has a way of dealing with him)

Anyone else?

Yay for starburst background in panel seven! ...Hmm, this is that "splatter" variation again. I wonder if it's meant to invoke a different mood from Dan's usual starbursts, or if Dan just felt like using this version?

8 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

So anyone who has ever encountered Ranma 1/2, AND has ever done ANYTHING else should be expected to turn their non-magna interests into a combat technique?

Not anyone who has encountered it, just those who consider themselves fans. Personally, I've never been much of a fan of canon Ranma 1/2, but I was quite a fan of Ranma fanfiction for a while, reinforcing my desire to retell other people's stories with my own touches. (I don't just mean telling new adventures with the same characters, I mean retelling the entire story from the beginning... I don't know how many variations I've read of Ranma and Genma showing up at the Tendo Dojo for the first time...)

6 hours ago, Scotty said:

General Shade Tail

Voltaire

Anyone else?

The not-Camdin smoke person?

Someone who follows the griffins from their side of the world to "our" side?

4 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

The not-Camdin smoke person?

Oh yeah, I wouldn't be surprised that Smoke might now be obsessed over finding out why they couldn't learn her transformation, but Smoke could just be some jerk that will get a good talking to rather that having their face punched through...hehe I was just referencing Greg's comment to Noah, but given the possibility that Smoke's form might not actually be solid, one might literally be able to punch through their face...of course it's probably not going to do any damage to Smoke that way.

4 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

Someone who follows the griffins from their side of the world to "our" side?

I dunno if that's likely, they are due to return in a week(comic time) though so we'll see. Not really expecting it to be very eventful though.

Still, more than half of them are martial artists. And Susan is not even there.

13 hours ago, Scotty said:

Don't worry, Grace! It's not like I already know what your first post-training fight's going to be, who it's going to be with, and why it happens!

(Nobody tell Grace I actually know all those things)

General Shade Tail

Voltaire

Anyone else?

Arthur Arthur?

Magus?

That uryuom who really liked fire spells?

Note that Dan specifically said "why it happens", as if it would be important. My first though upon reading it was if it wasn't supposed to be "due to misunderstanding".

1 minute ago, hkmaly said:

Note that Dan specifically said "why it happens", as if it would be important. My first though upon reading it was if it wasn't supposed to be "due to misunderstanding".

That does narrow the list down to people like General Shade Tail and Voltaire, I don't think she'll fight the man that's giving Tedd a lab, and Magus should be left for Ellen to deal with really.

The pyro Uryuom does have potential, and Grace is fireproof, but if fire is the only thing the Uryuom can do, then it probably won't be much of a fight.

1 minute ago, Scotty said:
6 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

That does narrow the list down to people like General Shade Tail and Voltaire, I don't think she'll fight the man that's giving Tedd a lab, and Magus should be left for Ellen to deal with really.

I don't think misunderstanding is needed for fighting General Shade Tail. And Voltaire, well, I doubt martial arts is of any use against fairy.

It would need to be quite serious misunderstanding causing her to fight Arthur Arthur, but I wouldn't rule it out completely. And regarding Ellen, well, her intervention will be what will STOP that fight.

Still, most likely it's character we don't know yet.

1 hour ago, The Old Hack said:

It's been a while, old friend. Good to see you again. :)

Yeah, good to see you too. I won't go into why I've been gone (medical, boring, take care of your pancreas, trust me on this) this feels like home, in many ways. I wish I could invite you all to my real home, for a chat.

1 minute ago, hkmaly said:

I don't think misunderstanding is needed for fighting General Shade Tail. And Voltaire, well, I doubt martial arts is of any use against fairy.

It would need to be quite serious misunderstanding causing her to fight Arthur Arthur, but I wouldn't rule it out completely. And regarding Ellen, well, her intervention will be what will STOP that fight.

Maybe I misread what you meant that because Dan said he knows why it'd happen, then we could rule out it being due to a misunderstanding, which would essentially mean that Grace would fight someone that needed to be fought.

I can only think of one incident where Grace almost fought someone due to a misunderstanding, though she might have mainly be going for intimidation since she didn't actually take a swing at Jerry. During the fight with the fire dudes at the Dojo, attacking Dex was a calculated decision with the intent to subdue rather than actually harm him, I don't think Grace actually thought she was going to have to fight Not_Tengu or else she made a bad attempt at intimidation and thankfully wasn't needed (likely both really). And she handled Smoke pretty decently, if there was going to be a fight, it'd have been because Smoke took the first swing. I guess if there were any misunderstandings, it'd be because the other party reacted badly or tested whether she was bluffing or not but I don't think Grace would actually start a fight unless she was sure she had to fight.

4 hours ago, Scotty said:
5 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Maybe I misread what you meant that because Dan said he knows why it'd happen, then we could rule out it being due to a misunderstanding, which would essentially mean that Grace would fight someone that needed to be fought.

Maybe I wrote it incorrectly because I meant it WILL be misunderstanding. (... did I confused a phrase again?)

4 hours ago, Scotty said:

I can only think of one incident where Grace almost fought someone due to a misunderstanding, though she might have mainly be going for intimidation since she didn't actually take a swing at Jerry. During the fight with the fire dudes at the Dojo, attacking Dex was a calculated decision with the intent to subdue rather than actually harm him, I don't think Grace actually thought she was going to have to fight Not_Tengu or else she made a bad attempt at intimidation and thankfully wasn't needed (likely both really). And she handled Smoke pretty decently, if there was going to be a fight, it'd have been because Smoke took the first swing. I guess if there were any misunderstandings, it'd be because the other party reacted badly or tested whether she was bluffing or not but I don't think Grace would actually start a fight unless she was sure she had to fight.

Just because Grace is sure doesn't mean there is no misunderstanding. However, I agree that it's more likely the other party is the one misunderstanding the situation.

5 hours ago, Amiable Dorsai said:

Yeah, good to see you too. I won't go into why I've been gone (medical, boring, take care of your pancreas, trust me on this) this feels like home, in many ways. I wish I could invite you all to my real home, for a chat.

Seconded. Really glad to have you back.

Tell me, do you happen to live in the vicinity of New Jersey? I go there fairly frequently for family reasons, as in once or twice a year. If you prefer, please answer in PMs.

13 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Grace will fight Akiko.

Akiko will win.

It will not be pretty, for Grace.

I'm sure there will need to be major misunderstanding in that, as Akiko shouldn't have any reason to attack Grace.

Just now, hkmaly said:

I'm sure there will need to be major misunderstanding in that, as Akiko shouldn't have any reason to attack Grace.

At best, the method of attack will be a tackle-hug.

On 9/7/2019 at 1:25 AM, The Old Hack said:

Seconded. Really glad to have you back.

Tell me, do you happen to live in the vicinity of New Jersey? I go there fairly frequently for family reasons, as in once or twice a year. If you prefer, please answer in PMs.

Nah, Chicago boy, born and bred. More difficult for me to make side trips these days. but you never know...

Warning: Europeans often (not always) have little understanding of just how big the US. Newark New Jersey to Chicago is a relatively straight drive of 779 miles, estimated to take 12 hours of actual on-the-road time. For comparison: Copenhagen to Basel, Switzerland is estimated at a bit shy of 13 hours (and the bit at the north end is not straight).

Hell, many Americans don’t know distances in states outside of their own—I’m Californian, and I had thought Newark to Chicago was more like 550 miles. Conversely, people in the Northeast where the states are smallest don’t grasp that California is 770 miles long and 250 miles wide—they seem to think that San Francisco is within daily commuting distance of Los Angeles even though they are 400 miles apart.

4 hours ago, ijuin said:

Hell, many Americans don’t know distances in states outside of their own—I’m Californian, and I had thought Newark to Chicago was more like 550 miles. Conversely, people in the Northeast where the states are smallest don’t grasp that California is 770 miles long and 250 miles wide—they seem to think that San Francisco is within daily commuting distance of Los Angeles even though they are 400 miles apart.

When I was young and lived in the NE, I thought a two or three hour trek was a big deal. Two hours to Philly, three to JFK on Long Island, that was a long trip. Then, after graduation, my first duty station was in New Mexico. (Yes, a few folks asked about my passport and currency exchange.) Talk about a different driving culture. The "next town over" was generally two hours away, in any direction.

I went to one class reunion, and was amazed at the people who had "moved away", "Yeah, I live thirty minutes from here, now."

A few years later, and I'm visiting my folks. They are telling me about houses near the Jersey side of Pennsylvania being bought up by people willing to commute to NYC across New Jersey.

I guess it's all what you're used to and willing to put up with.

9 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:

I went to one class reunion, and was amazed at the people who had "moved away", "Yeah, I live thirty minutes from here, now."

... I moved to distance thirty minutes away ON FOOT. But I'm not calling it "moving away".

6 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

Warning: Europeans often (not always) have little understanding of just how big the US. Newark New Jersey to Chicago is a relatively straight drive of 779 miles, estimated to take 12 hours of actual on-the-road time. For comparison: Copenhagen to Basel, Switzerland is estimated at a bit shy of 13 hours (and the bit at the north end is not straight).

Note: Europeans often (not always) know how to read maps and to access airports. I am well aware of the fact that Chicago is lying smack dab in the centre of the North American continent. I was planning on going either by plane or by train.

1 hour ago, The Old Hack said:

I am well aware of the fact that Chicago is lying smack dab in the centre of the North American continent. I was planning on going either by plane or by train.

Sure, if you go for these new fangled fads

But you may want to consider taking Fulton's Steamboat up the Hudson, a barge through the Erie Canal, and then sail with La Salle on Le Griffon around Michigan (making sure to stop at Mackinac Island for Fudge on the way)

Of course, there is no more classic way to Chicago than to go to the Arctic coast of Canada, wait for the start of the next ice age, and surf a glacier to Gary

13 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

But you may want to consider taking Fulton's Steamboat up the Hudson, a barge through the Erie Canal, and then sail with La Salle on Le Griffon around Michigan (making sure to stop at Mackinac Island for Fudge on the way)

Waait, are you saying there is way how to get from ocean to Chicago without sailing the Niagara falls up? Sounds handy ...

15 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Of course, there is no more classic way to Chicago than to go to the Arctic coast of Canada, wait for the start of the next ice age, and surf a glacier to Gary

Do you THINK there will be any "next ice age"?