• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Pharaoh RutinTutin

NP Friday September 06, 2019

Susan: "Think of all the cleaning I could do in a day with that spell!"

...You know, I'm not sure I feel comfortable with that line, I mean, I'm basing it on how Susan prefers everything to be clean, but it really does come across as a sexist "women are good for cleaning, cooking, etc" way which I sure would be deserving of a hammering.

5 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Be careful,  "Slow Time" sounds like a means to slow your own progress through time.  Effectively letting everyone else, including your enemies, move faster than you.

Based on commentary, we know it isn't.

31 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:

I am completely with Susan here.

Me too. "Slow Time" is very versatile spell, usable both in and out of combat. Granted, it might be worth it looking at detailed description before choosing, but if it's not available ...

On the other hand, even based on commentary the utility of "Slow Time" is mainly in combination with other spells. So, while it may be the most useful spell, it may not necessary be the best spell to take as first.

Also, am I only one who instinctively want to protest that fireballs should be hot, not cool? Or that cool fireballs would be useless, if they will be literally cool?

(Unless it's just relatively cool. Like cold fusion, which doesn't involve refrigerating anything: it's cold compared to normal fusion, but it may still be much hotter than normal - I mean chemical - flame.)

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

...You know, I'm not sure I feel comfortable with that line, I mean, I'm basing it on how Susan prefers everything to be clean, but it really does come across as a sexist "women are good for cleaning, cooking, etc" way which I sure would be deserving of a hammering.

Surprisingly, it does not.

6 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

In related news, the Pope has religious associations and many bears do their private business in the woods.

I like the juxtaposition. I may have to start using "Does the Pope $#!% in the wood?"

44 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:

I like the juxtaposition. I may have to start using "Does the Pope $#!% in the wood?"

I used to use, "<something blindingly obvious>, bears are Catholic and the Pope relieves himself in the woods, so what else is new?"

BTW, Fireball, Lightning Bolt, Animate Dead (for creating zombies), Haste & Slow are 3rd Level spells in D&D.

Not really something a 1st level character would have access to.

1 hour ago, detrius said:

BTW, Fireball, Lightning Bolt, Animate Dead (for creating zombies), Haste & Slow are 3rd Level spells in D&D.

Not really something a 1st level character would have access to.

In D&D maybe. Fable nor Fable II is not D&D.

1 hour ago, mlooney said:

If they have experience points and something like level, they owe a huge debt to D&D.  Both of those ideas were from D&D.

I prefer a simpler system

The player who brings the best snacks for the game master wins

43 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

I prefer a simpler system

The player who brings the best snacks for the game master wins

While you don't "win" TTRPG, I, as a the game master, approve of this plan.

since the subject is here anyway, one thing that's always bugged me in games:  why do haste, slow, and related abilities never seem to have a drastic effect on your hit/dodge chances? being able to move faster than your opponent can react to, or react faster than they can attack, should be an absolute game changer. even a difference of milliseconds is enough to mean the difference between seeing a thing coming and not in some situations. pitching normally, a fastball, a screwball (reverse curveball), or a curveball, for example. a batter has an extremely narrow window of time, a few milliseconds at the professional level, to figure out which type of pitch it is and correct his swing accordingly.

12 hours ago, mlooney said:
19 hours ago, hkmaly said:

In D&D maybe. Fable nor Fable II is not D&D.

If they have experience points and something like level, they owe a huge debt to D&D.  Both of those ideas were from D&D.

So what, United States also don't rush with paying their huge national debt.

10 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

Gamesmaster and all players have fun. Everybody wins.

I'm not sure how could you play RPG with any other goal. The rules simply don't allow fair victory of anyone specific. Sure, you may take it as puzzle and consider victory if players solve it, but Game Master is still supposed to work WITH players and not against them.

5 hours ago, InfiniteRemnant said:

since the subject is here anyway, one thing that's always bugged me in games:  why do haste, slow, and related abilities never seem to have a drastic effect on your hit/dodge chances? being able to move faster than your opponent can react to, or react faster than they can attack, should be an absolute game changer. even a difference of milliseconds is enough to mean the difference between seeing a thing coming and not in some situations. pitching normally, a fastball, a screwball (reverse curveball), or a curveball, for example. a batter has an extremely narrow window of time, a few milliseconds at the professional level, to figure out which type of pitch it is and correct his swing accordingly.

Perhaps for same reasons why talking is a free action and that no amount of haste sets you on fire due to friction.

The haste spell won't make you twice as fast. It only allows you to make twice as many actions.

2 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Perhaps for same reasons why talking is a free action and that no amount of haste sets you on fire due to friction.

The haste spell won't make you twice as fast. It only allows you to make twice as many actions.

in D&D maybe, but in other series, particularly among videogames, there's a visible difference in movement speed and animation speed, implying that the character very much is going faster/slower, or in some offline games the manuals describe it as having that effect, yet the only examples i can think of of that translating to a change in base reaction time, are video games that involve the player manually dodging. none of the ones that use RNG hit chance seem to do it.

In D&D and other games inspired by it, a character's chance to hit is determined by their Dexterity stat, whereas speed of movement is determined by an Agility or Speed stat, so moving faster would not affect the probability of a hit or miss.

That said, if we wanted to bring reality into the situation and decide that a faster-moving character has a better chance to defeat an opponent's reaction time, there's also the matter that more speed means more kinetic energy behind every melee attack, which implies that hastened attacks should deal extra damage.

3 hours ago, ijuin said:

In D&D and other games inspired by it, a character's chance to hit is determined by their Dexterity stat, whereas speed of movement is determined by an Agility or Speed stat, so moving faster would not affect the probability of a hit or miss.

In this context is interesting that Haste DOES influence dexterity saves (at least in 5th edition, whatever that is) but not Agility ... waaaaait, Agility isn't separate stat in D&D is it?

3 hours ago, ijuin said:

That said, if we wanted to bring reality into the situation and decide that a faster-moving character has a better chance to defeat an opponent's reaction time, there's also the matter that more speed means more kinetic energy behind every melee attack, which implies that hastened attacks should deal extra damage.

Yes. In case of unarmed combat, to both defender and attacker.

Then there is question of inertia ...