• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
hkmaly

Story Wednesday, Sep 11, 2019

I have yet to see The Sword in the Stone, but I have read the book it was based on: T.H. White's The Once and Future King. I don't recall any squirrels in it, but I do remember a notable griffin. Maybe the squirrel was a Disney invention.

There were several scenes in the TH White book in which Arthur was changed into various creatures as part of Merlin's lessons, but the only one shared in common between the book and the movie was the fish scene. The squirrel scene and the bird scene are unique to the movie (and Madam Mim in the book captures a human Arthur rather than catching him as a bird).

Okay, so I know that any two (or more, or in rare circumstances even just one) characters that exist are potential shipping candidates, but based on my memories of the movie I don't really get this one. From what I recall, Arthur/Wart had zero interest in girls, squirrel or otherwise (presumably thanks to his age, though other options would be available in fanon) and was rather freaked out by the female squirrel's advances.

(But maybe I'm remembering wrong? It has been a while.)

9 hours ago, Darkxemjas said:

Oh yeah, there was a scene like that.(Haven't seen Sword in the Stone since the 90s, but this comic jogged my memory)

For other people wanting to jog their memory: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDOTky9ynmDGQMi5SKyKp6peAxkTdwotc

5 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

Okay, so I know that any two (or more, or in rare circumstances even just one) characters that exist are potential shipping candidates, but based on my memories of the movie I don't really get this one. From what I recall, Arthur/Wart had zero interest in girls, squirrel or otherwise (presumably thanks to his age, though other options would be available in fanon) and was rather freaked out by the female squirrel's advances.

Your mistake is thinking that would stop any just little serious shipper.

The fact those two actually met puts them in top bracket of possible shippings. And not just that, the girl was clearly into Arthur!

6 hours ago, Scotty said:

And we've got a bond forming between Grace and Ashley, Ashley's gonna flip when Grace shows off her squirrel forms (both half squirrel and full squirrel).

IF she manages to show that. They failed to show flying.

... ok, they probably get to Grace's squirrel form, but seriously, they COULD show flying.

6 hours ago, Scotty said:

I'm gonna say that it's quite possible Sarah's responsible for Grace watching Sword in the Stone.

Well, I would assume it would be quite a race between Grace finding such movie on her own, Sarah mentioning it and Tedd mentioning it.

7 hours ago, Scotty said:

I'm gonna say that it's quite possible Sarah's responsible for Grace watching Sword in the Stone.

17 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Well, I would assume it would be quite a race between Grace finding such movie on her own, Sarah mentioning it and Tedd mentioning it.

A classic bit of DIsney fantasy?  This could easily have been the background movie for a tournament night at the Salty Crackers.

Justin sees how fascinated Grace is with the story, even though she is only able to catch a few bits a pieces whilst working, and insists that she take the DVD home that night.
As soon as she gets home, she then keeps Tedd up all night watching the Arthurian Documentary.

Alternatively, to keep Grace from becoming distracted at work, Justin may have suggested that Grace borrow the movies in the Salty Crackers collection and watch them at home before the tournaments.

39 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

I would not be surprise if the three of them watched it together one night.

10 minutes ago, Scotty said:
50 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

I would not be surprise if the three of them watched it together one night.

Sarah and Grace might watch it even multiple times. I think Tedd would only watch once. Unless Grace hugs him often enough during such movie ...

13 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:
50 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

A classic bit of DIsney fantasy?  This could easily have been the background movie for a tournament night at the Salty Crackers.

Justin sees how fascinated Grace is with the story, even though she is only able to catch a few bits a pieces whilst working, and insists that she take the DVD home that night.
As soon as she gets home, she then keeps Tedd up all night watching the Arthurian Documentary.

Alternatively, to keep Grace from becoming distracted at work, Justin may have suggested that Grace borrow the movies in the Salty Crackers collection and watch them at home before the tournaments.

I don't think such movie would be THAT likely to be used. And, Salty Crackers DVD collection might be quite big. However, Justin might realize movie like this would interest Grace even if he wouldn't choose it for the night.

Wait. Susan works in video rental. Normally, I wouldn't expect her to watch movie like this OR be good in guessing what movie might interest someone, but working in video rental such skill is part of job ... and, well, realizing Grace might like movie with squirrels is not so hard anyway.

So let's also add Susan to the race.

16 hours ago, hkmaly said:

The fact those two actually met puts them in top bracket of possible shippings. And not just that, the girl was clearly into Arthur!

I'm not saying I'm surprised people would ship them (though I'm a little surprised neither Grace nor Ashley seem to have cared about Arthur's feelings on the matter), I'm just saying I personally don't see the appeal. Generally speaking, when I encounter unrequited love in fiction, I feel that the person in love needs to move on (or at least accept that it's unrequited), not that the subject of those affections needs to fall in love with or humor their admirer.

...I actually encountered a similar situation in the Sonic fandom years ago. Back in the 00s, the games and Sonic X usually portrayed Amy as obsessed with the idea of being in a relationship with Sonic, but with the possible exception of one or two episodes of Sonic X, Sonic mostly ignored her, ran from her, or at best treated her as a platonic friend. And yet that was enough to inspire a devoted band of SonAmy shippers, a fact which contributed to the great "shipping wars" over who Sonic should be with.

7 hours ago, ChronosCat said:
23 hours ago, hkmaly said:

I'm not saying I'm surprised people would ship them (though I'm a little surprised neither Grace nor Ashley seem to have cared about Arthur's feelings on the matter), I'm just saying I personally don't see the appeal. Generally speaking, when I encounter unrequited love in fiction, I feel that the person in love needs to move on (or at least accept that it's unrequited), not that the subject of those affections needs to fall in love with or humor their admirer.

Well, I'm not sure if "feeling they needs to move on" has even actual relation to shipping. To me it seems that shipping rarely takes common sense into account, much less opinion of those shipped. I assume it's because it's more fun that way (and if I ship something with such problem, I definitely do it because it's fun ; I might not be typical shipper, though ...).

However, specifically in this case, it's very likely Arthur will change mind in few years.

11 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

I am wondering....

Will we see a sketchbook entry of Grace as the Squirrel Queen of Camelot?

You mean with or without someone paying for it? :)

9 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

I'm not saying I'm surprised people would ship them (though I'm a little surprised neither Grace nor Ashley seem to have cared about Arthur's feelings on the matter), I'm just saying I personally don't see the appeal.

Ever seen a "crack shipping" thread? The usual procedure is to build a list of characters, then challenge people to randomly select two characters from the list and write a scene shipping them. Roughly preserving their personalities and basic natures, but with  little regard for gender identity, sexual orientation, which side of battles they are on, or any other consideration. So, hey, Damien and Arthur Arthur - fair game.

33 minutes ago, Don Edwards said:
9 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

I'm not saying I'm surprised people would ship them (though I'm a little surprised neither Grace nor Ashley seem to have cared about Arthur's feelings on the matter), I'm just saying I personally don't see the appeal.

Ever seen a "crack shipping" thread?

No, I don't see it anywhere.

2 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

Do you have a Conkrite reason for that or are you just being wishy-washy?

Quick Google search: "Cronkhite Name Meaning. Americanized spelling of Dutch Krankheid, from an abstract noun meaning 'weakness', hence probably a nickname for a sickly individual." My gut says this is not exactly right, that it could also be from a very similar German name, but I don't really know.

Walter Cronkite was a good bit older than Dan Rather, born nearly twenty years apart. Quoting Wiki, "When Walter Cronkite retired in 1981, Rather was promoted to news anchor for the CBS Evening News, a role he occupied for 24 years."