• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
hkmaly

Story Friday, Sep 13, 2019

I don't think Grace will deliberately reveal any secrets about anyone else

But don't ask her to lie about her own life

Now we know Enemy agents will be able to make Grace talk.  What story do we give her?  How do we convince Grace that the cover story is true and accurate?  Does the deception involve Cake?

1 hour ago, Haylo said:

I think Grace is counting on the "Can't keep secrets from a Wizard studying under a Seer even if you Try" defense.

I thought keeping the alien part secret would be on the table, but I'm not Grace (or Dan, for that matter). 

It might just be me, but I'm almost anticipating a tipping point in all this. Things are going too smoothly. 

7 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Now we know Enemy agents will be able to make Grace talk.  What story do we give her?  How do we convince Grace that the cover story is true and accurate?  Does the deception involve Cake?

What kind of cake?  I don't like the yellow version of cake.

While I love how Ashley reacts to Grace dumping the bag of cats all over, it's the reaction from everyone else that's absolutely priceless.

Just now, hkmaly said:

Soooo, is Grace that bad at lying or did she sabotaged Edward's plan deliberately? Starting with the air quotes on previous pages.

Just now, Darth Fluffy said:

Arrgh, Grace! You're not that naive! There has to be an insight reason this made sense to her.

I did say that the air quotes she was doing might be intentional. Maybe bringing up Sword in the Stone was a kind of "test the water" thing where Grace could see how Ashley would react and the whole bonding experience we had in the previous page was exactly what Grace was hoping for to be able to tell Ashley about her mixed genetics.

Next Monday at school:

Grace: Hey Rhoda! Have you ever seen Sword in the Stone?

Just now, PrimordialSoul253 said:

It might just be me, but I'm almost anticipating a tipping point in all this. Things are going too smoothly. 

I don't think hearing about hearing about Grace's origin (Grace hasn't gone into those details yet) or anyone else's experience with magic will be an issue, the tipping point might be when it's Ashley's turn to talk about her experience, we know Elliot and the others aren't going to push her into saying anything if she doesn't want to, but she might feel guilty about not contributing.

Ashley is a bit of an anomaly as well. A normal person does not take these claims at face value, although she is predisposed to think of the members of this group favorably, for various reasons.

A normal person does not get abducted and magically mind-whammied by a wizard and a vampire who have possessed her boyfriend and his sister respectively six days ago, then taken to a secret government warehouse full of magical artifacts  which suddenly awaken and attack, and then find out that she herself is now a beginner wizard with a sapient magic wand for a tutor. After that experience, anyone would be more willing to believe in absurd-seeming things.

6 minutes ago, ijuin said:

A normal person does not get abducted and magically mind-whammied by a wizard and a vampire who have possessed her boyfriend and his sister respectively six days ago, then taken to a secret government warehouse full of magical artifacts  which suddenly awaken and attack, and then find out that she herself is now a beginner wizard with a sapient magic wand for a tutor. After that experience, anyone would be more willing to believe in absurd-seeming things.

I hear you. I don't see "Gee, magic is real." equating to "I'm going to be incredibly credulous from now on." Both Ellen and Nanase, who are more than adequately exposed to magic, show a healthy skepticism from time to time.

A normal person doesn't know their boyfriend is a shapeshifting female superhero, with a friend who magically creates and animates fairydolls, with another friend who routinely changes sex, and who occasionally fights or chats with gryphons. (In addition to all the stuff ijuin mentioned.)

Ashley already knows the world is weirder than she imagines. During the battle at the mall she demonstrated substantial mental agility for coping with that weirdness, and she came to the party expecting to get more info on just how weird it is. With most of a week to mentally prepare for it.

Also, in the next-to-last panel Ashley's face looks slightly non-human to me...

So that was a thing that happened. I really wonder what was going on in Grace's head there - and whether she's going to put any limits on how much she shares with Ashley.

In other matters,  yay for Tedd's Basement background in panel nine!  Er, I mean starburst backgrounds in panels one and two...

Speaking of the basement, I notice behind Justin (and in some previous comics) there's what looks like a curtain. Does Tedd have the transformation booth set up like at Grace's Birthday Party?

6 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

Ashley already knows the world is weirder than she imagines. During the battle at the mall she demonstrated substantial mental agility for coping with that weirdness, and she came to the party expecting to get more info on just how weird it is. With most of a week to mentally prepare for it.

Edward's (and Arthur's) assumptions that revealing the existence of Aliens to Ashley at this time would be too overwhelming for her. This certainly seems to prove them wrong.

Though maybe there's a reason the idea of aliens didn't phase her, would be amusing if it turned out her neighbours are William and Gillian and she found out from them.

5 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

Speaking of the basement, I notice behind Justin (and in some previous comics) there's what looks like a curtain. Does Tedd have the transformation booth set up like at Grace's Birthday Party?

Tedd didn't bother setting it up for Susan and Nanase in Playing with Dolls because she didn't plan on using the TFG. And considering what Edward told Tedd about keeping the show and tell to a minimum in regards to the TFG and scanner, it's unlikely Tedd would have set up the booth for this party, Grace going off script here basically means the TFG and scanner are free game again but there'd be no booth ready, I suspect there's a curtain of sorts that divides the basement, like it's currently being used to hide the scanner.

If we look where Elliot's standing here, that's where the curtain behind Justin is.

17 hours ago, Haylo said:

I think Grace is counting on the "Can't keep secrets from a Wizard studying under a Seer even if you Try" defense.

Good luck. I expect Edward would say "You should've still tried".

13 hours ago, Scotty said:

While I love how Ashley reacts to Grace dumping the bag of cats all over, it's the reaction from everyone else that's absolutely priceless.

Seems everybody thinks Grace should've tried.

I did say that the air quotes she was doing might be intentional. Maybe bringing up Sword in the Stone was a kind of "test the water" thing where Grace could see how Ashley would react and the whole bonding experience we had in the previous page was exactly what Grace was hoping for to be able to tell Ashley about her mixed genetics.

Next Monday at school:

Grace: Hey Rhoda! Have you ever seen Sword in the Stone?

.... makes sense. Including the "Grace will totally try to use something similar to excuse her telling everything to Rhoda". Instead of, like, trying to get her to tell something WITHOUT telling her these secret first.

I don't think hearing about hearing about Grace's origin (Grace hasn't gone into those details yet)

Nevertheless, she DID let out that aliens exists AND (indirectly) are or were on Earth.

8 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:
8 hours ago, ijuin said:

I hear you. I don't see "Gee, magic is real." equating to "I'm going to be incredibly credulous from now on." Both Ellen and Nanase, who are more than adequately exposed to magic, show a healthy skepticism from time to time.

She hopefully wouldn't take stuff like this as face value from everyone, but she's aware that this group knows much more about magic than she does and assumes they won't feed her disinformation.

Also, it's not like she has other option. Asking for proof? Putting aside that such proof would reveal even more secret, what kind of proof can you give to mundane person to prove specifically that your parents are from another planet and not another universe? It's even harder than to prove that you have magic as opposed to just very advanced technology.

7 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

It's possible that the curtain is hiding Uryuom technology.

2 hours ago, Scotty said:

Edward's (and Arthur's) assumptions that revealing the existence of Aliens to Ashley at this time would be too overwhelming for her. This certainly seems to prove them wrong.

While that may be issue, I think for them is more important that she has no need to know about aliens. Unlike Grace, for secret agents the default is to NOT tell.

Though maybe there's a reason the idea of aliens didn't phase her, would be amusing if it turned out her neighbours are William and Gillian and she found out from them.

... how could she suspect them? Their disguise is flawless :)

Grace going off script here basically means the TFG and scanner are free game again

No it isn't. It's still something they CAN keep secret from her and she doesn't need to know. If they want to give her option to transform herself, they can give her watches. It would have additional advantage that using watches is basically part of her training (getting her closer to awakening), while the TF gun won't help her in this regard.

Just now, hkmaly said:

While that may be issue, I think for them is more important that she has no need to know about aliens.

Edward didn't say that Grace was forbidden from telling Ashley though, he just wanted her to take it slow with revealing things to her based on Arthur's suggestion that she's timid.

2 hours ago, hkmaly said:

... how could she suspect them? Their disguise is flawless

Well I suspect that Ashley moved to Moperville after Will and Gill stopped by to get their human forms from Tedd, but they were going to wait for their child to be old enough to choose boy or girl before they came back to get a form made up for them, so there might be a chance of Ashley accidentally seeing their baby.

Also Ashley might be the type of person that's soo open-minded to anything being possible that she's immune to most coverup methods.

2 hours ago, hkmaly said:

No it isn't. It's still something they CAN keep secret from her and she doesn't need to know. If they want to give her option to transform herself, they can give her watches. It would have additional advantage that using watches is basically part of her training (getting her closer to awakening), while the TF gun won't help her in this regard.

They can still show it off, Ashley's heard about the TFG already from Magus and we can't assume she's forgotten about it just yet simply because she hasn't mentioned it yet, there's still time. Also Tedd can just tell Ashley that it wouldn't help with training.

5 hours ago, hkmaly said:

While that may be issue, I think for them is more important that she has no need to know about aliens.

Edward didn't say that Grace was forbidden from telling Ashley though, he just wanted her to take it slow with revealing things to her based on Arthur's suggestion that she's timid.

He did say he would LIKE to say that.

5 hours ago, hkmaly said:

... how could she suspect them? Their disguise is flawless

Well I suspect that Ashley moved to Moperville after Will and Gill stopped by to get their human forms from Tedd, but they were going to wait for their child to be old enough to choose boy or girl before they came back to get a form made up for them, so there might be a chance of Ashley accidentally seeing their baby.

Actually I was ironically referring to their pre-Tedd disguise of T-shirts saying "human". But you have point, with human forms, it would really be hard to find out ... unless, yes, she noticed the child.

They can still show it off, Ashley's heard about the TFG already from Magus and we can't assume she's forgotten about it just yet simply because she hasn't mentioned it yet, there's still time. Also Tedd can just tell Ashley that it wouldn't help with training.

Yes, if she asks about it THEN it means TFG is free game again. However, note that Tedd was likely not informed that Ashley heard about TFG from Magus.

2 hours ago, InfiniteRemnant said:

so does the bag even have any cats left in it at this point? cause she let a ton out right there...

Hmmmm ... she even mentioned two aliens ... but Ashley still doesn't know Uryuomoco. Presumably. Unless she met William.

And, well, she doesn't know Susan, Diane and Adrian are part fairies.

4 hours ago, Haylo said:

I don't think anyone yet has mentioned that as an empath, Grace knows Ashley is nowhere near panicking.

Since when is Grace empath?

She is very good in reading body language, but actual extrasensory empathy? And with antenae hidden?

6 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Well yeah, but that doesn't mean he's going to be mad that Grace went and told Ashley this quickly.

6 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Aside from Adrian of course, no one at the party knows that Susan and Diane are, though can we really say that Susan is at this point? She might be no more Fairy than say Nanase, whereas Diane would be what, 1/4 fairy?

10 hours ago, Scotty said:
16 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Well yeah, but that doesn't mean he's going to be mad that Grace went and told Ashley this quickly.

Mad, no. Disappointed yes.

16 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Aside from Adrian of course, no one at the party knows that Susan and Diane are

Know, no. Sarah might suspect, though.

though can we really say that Susan is at this point? She might be no more Fairy than say Nanase

Nanase is likely more fairy than Susan, BUT noone present knows that. Pandora did told that to Adrian, Susan and Diane, but not to Tedd.

whereas Diane would be what, 1/4 fairy?

Probably little more. Even Adrian is likely little more than half fairy, considering Pandora's previous incarnation KNEW fairies and humans can have children and lied about it to "our" Pandora, so that mixing must've been going for some time already.

9 hours ago, InfiniteRemnant said:
16 hours ago, Haylo said:

I don't think anyone yet has mentioned that as an empath, Grace knows Ashley is nowhere near panicking.

that ability only works in squirrel chimera form or omega form though.

12 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Since when is Grace empath?

She is very good in reading body language, but actual extrasensory empathy? And with antenae hidden?