• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Tom Sewell

Friday September 20, 2019

14 minutes ago, Illjwamh said:

Was 100% expecting this and am very excited about it.

Can't say I'm surprised, but they could've give Ashley at least SOME time for the original purpose of the party ...

1 hour ago, Tom Sewell said:

Maybe even more interesting, since Diane's "WE'RE GOING TO THAT PARTY" had to be heard by everyone else in the store.

If not the rest as well. Although, based on bubbles border color, presumably everything except "WE'RE GOING TO THAT PARTY" and Susan's "WE'RE" was whispering.

2 hours ago, Drasvin said:

This is going to be interesting. I wonder if Tedd made enough cake.

I wonder if Edward already put Diane in "allowed" list of automatic home defense.

3 hours ago, Illjwamh said:

Was 100% expecting this and am very excited about it.

I go 100% eventually included, 70%-ish this party, for me; glad the train has left the station.

So, some people deserve some cookies for predicting this. Personally, not only did I not expect any party-crashers, but once the party stared without her I was figuring Susan probably wouldn't show up either.

I do hope that we don't get any other party crashers; the more characters in the story, the harder it is to balance pacing versus giving everyone the attention they deserve.

47 minutes ago, ChronosCat said:

I do hope that we don't get any other party crashers; the more characters in the story, the harder it is to balance pacing versus giving everyone the attention they deserve.

You have a point, but in counterpoint, there were actually more characters at Grace's birthday party. Besides the Main Eight, we had:

•  Magus, or the Other Ellen
  •  Helena
  •  Demetrius
  •  The Demonic Duck
  •  Matt Cohen delivering the pizza

5 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Looks like we'll have a party crasher...

Liz is going to be soo dissappointed that Elliot let this happen....

2 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Can't say I'm surprised, but they could've give Ashley at least SOME time for the original purpose of the party ...

It might still take 15-20 minutes to get there, might be enough time.

If not the rest as well. Although, based on bubbles border color, presumably everything except "WE'RE GOING TO THAT PARTY" and Susan's "WE'RE" was whispering.

I don't really expect Dan to continue this scene and have Rhea get involved.  I'm also certain that Susan will protest, but that doesn't have to be shown. Monday's likely going to cut back to the party.

I wonder if Edward already put Diane in "allowed" list of automatic home defense.

I still doubt he has those kinds of defenses, best example, Edward clearly wasn't alerted to any issues when Greg busted down the door thinking Grace was in trouble, about the only home defense that was triggered there was Jeremy.

In any case, Edward is completely aware of Diane, he's met her in person, and knows about her involvement with Ellen and Nanase's recent activities and has attempted doing a background check (though unsuccessfully due to the difficulty in getting access to adoption records), He might believe it's inevitable that she'd end up at his place at some point anyway.

46 minutes ago, Scotty said:

I don't really expect Dan to continue this scene and have Rhea get involved.  I'm also certain that Susan will protest, but that doesn't have to be shown. Monday's likely going to cut back to the party.

I wouldn't bet any cookies against that, but Dan might surprise both of us. Bringing in Rhea and her friends, or Mr. Tensaided, or all of them have potential for both comedy and plot advancement. Plus, Dan may not have inspiration for the next scene at the party yet, and he does have several obvious hooks for more misadventure at the video store. 

52 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

I wouldn't bet any cookies against that, but Dan might surprise both of us. Bringing in Rhea and her friends, or Mr. Tensaided, or all of them have potential for both comedy and plot advancement. Plus, Dan may not have inspiration for the next scene at the party yet, and he does have several obvious hooks for more misadventure at the video store. 

The issue is, Diane's already decided that she's getting Susan to the party, any interference from Rhea or Tensaided or anyone else is going to delay that.

Yes, the potential is there, but considering Dan left us hanging on Grace turning Squirrel for Ashley, I'm not expecting shenanigans here.

10 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

DIane referring to herself as Susan's "Aunt" isn't as creepy as Ellen calling Elliot "Mommy"

Not nearly as creepy by a long shot

But still creepy enough

Why?

Now, if she referred to herself as Susan's GrandGrandAunt ...

7 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:
8 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

You have a point, but in counterpoint, there were actually more characters at Grace's birthday party. Besides the Main Eight, we had:

•  Helena
  •  Demetrius
  •  The Demonic Duck

Don't compare until the party is over.

2 hours ago, Scotty said:
15 hours ago, hkmaly said:

I still doubt he has those kinds of defenses, best example, Edward clearly wasn't alerted to any issues when Greg busted down the door thinking Grace was in trouble, about the only home defense that was triggered there was Jeremy.

Good reason to upgrade those defenses, don't you think?

In any case, Edward is completely aware of Diane, he's met her in person, and knows about her involvement with Ellen and Nanase's recent activities and has attempted doing a background check (though unsuccessfully due to the difficulty in getting access to adoption records), He might believe it's inevitable that she'd end up at his place at some point anyway.

Which is why I said "already". Because yes I totally expect he has it in plan.

And BTW, the background check wasn't unsuccessful. Sure, he didn't found her parents, but considering Diane was not aware of them either, it wasn't critical. Or at least it wasn't ASSUMED to be critical. The background check certainly included herself, her adoptive family, her friends, places she was on ... lots of things to check (luckily, Rhoda was already checked, so that was less work, also the school is probably already checked well). It's possible the check is still running and that Edward waits on it to finish before adding Diane on list.

I don't think they will actually bring Rhea or anyone else along (now, if Rhoda would be there, she might tag along) but yes, we may have something more to happen at the store, especially if Dan isn't sure what to do at party.

56 minutes ago, Scotty said:

The issue is, Diane's already decided that she's getting Susan to the party, any interference from Rhea or Tensaided or anyone else is going to delay that.

Yes, the potential is there, but considering Dan left us hanging on Grace turning Squirrel for Ashley, I'm not expecting shenanigans here.

On the other hand, I'm not expecting Monday would be "Susan and Diane already got to party". There should be some delay.

20 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

If he even knows that Greg busted down the door, Greg seemed to do a pretty good job fixing it.

The other thing is, how would he go about "whitelisting" Ashley when he's never met her personally? I'd think he'd need some way of having whatever is protecting the house tell that Ashley is Ashley?

20 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

And BTW, the background check wasn't unsuccessful. Sure, he didn't found her parents, but considering Diane was not aware of them either, it wasn't critical. Or at least it wasn't ASSUMED to be critical. The background check certainly included herself, her adoptive family, her friends, places she was on ... lots of things to check (luckily, Rhoda was already checked, so that was less work, also the school is probably already checked well). It's possible the check is still running and that Edward waits on it to finish before adding Diane on list.

Not knowing her biological parents would still be a security hole because what if the biological parents were to turn up one day looking for her and they happened to be dangerous?

Of course, that's not the case, but then again, how would Edward feel about meeting the daughter of his former friend and mentor?

23 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

On the other hand, I'm not expecting Monday would be "Susan and Diane already got to party". There should be some delay.

Sure, we'll probably get some more show and tell from the others and then "Ding Dong!!"

30 minutes ago, Scotty said:

If he even knows that Greg busted down the door, Greg seemed to do a pretty good job fixing it.

The other thing is, how would he go about "whitelisting" Ashley when he's never met her personally? I'd think he'd need some way of having whatever is protecting the house tell that Ashley is Ashley?

Ever wonder why Ashley's parents decided to move to Moperville from California? The family might have already be in the database of Edward's oh-so-secret magical organization. They might even be in that organization. They could be magic users with the same "problem" as Edward and Noriko: Having a child who seems to have little or no magic potential.

Whether or not Ashley's parents are magical spooks, Arthur has taken a personal interest in Ashley, so she would have had a background check by now if she didn't already have one. And, of course, Arthur has already arranged for Ashley to train with Tedd.

Well, we know Ashley isn't a seer... she knew about magic before that pseudo-reset, and wasn't at the gathering of seers. And both Arthur and Kevin said she's low-powered.

3 hours ago, hkmaly said:

... note that the door I have wouldn't be fixable after someone gets through them. If Edward has worse it must be trap.

You think Arthur has no way to give Edward Ashley's identification? (Assuming that Edward really didn't met Ashley yet. Ashley wasn't exactly hiding. And that the security footage from the mall where she's kicking the ball on griffin isn't enough.)

Remember this is universe where Abraham was able to find Ellen AND tell someone else how to find her.

Not knowing her biological parents would still be a security hole because what if the biological parents were to turn up one day looking for her and they happened to be dangerous?

And the biological parents would know where to search for her how?

Pandora only found her using precognition.

Sure, it IS something to be aware of, but as I said, not expected to be critical.

Of course, that's not the case, but then again, how would Edward feel about meeting the daughter of his former friend and mentor?

I would argue that with correct motivation, Adrian may be dangerous :)

2 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Ever wonder why Ashley's parents decided to move to Moperville from California? The family might have already be in the database of Edward's oh-so-secret magical organization. They might even be in that organization. They could be magic users with the same "problem" as Edward and Noriko: Having a child who seems to have little or no magic potential.

Unlikely. Also, Ashely DO have little or no magic potential even AFTER being "boosted" by the diamond.

1 hour ago, Don Edwards said:

Well, we know Ashley isn't a seer... she knew about magic before that pseudo-reset, and wasn't at the gathering of seers. And both Arthur and Kevin said she's low-powered.

Yeah ... and seers are wells of power. While if she resisted them she would register as no power at all.

2 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Whether or not Ashley's parents are magical spooks, Arthur has taken a personal interest in Ashley, so she would have had a background check by now if she didn't already have one. And, of course, Arthur has already arranged for Ashley to train with Tedd.

I would expect Edward was already scheduling the check based on Elliot starting dating her.

2 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

You think Arthur has no way to give Edward Ashley's identification? (Assuming that Edward really didn't met Ashley yet. And that the security footage from the mall where she's kicking the ball on griffin isn't enough.)

I'm talking about the equivalent of biometrics though, anyway, this is something that if it was an important piece of info, Dan would have mentioned it somewhere.

11 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Sure, it IS something to be aware of, but as I said, not expected to be critical.

We've had Abraham go after Ellen by tracking her down with magic.

There could have been a case of a magic user hiding their child away until at time when they'd want to reunite with them, or maybe the father gotten into something evil and the mother left and hid the baby from him and it took years for the father to be able to home in of the child's aura that might have been magically masked at first but no longer.

And Pandora didn't find Diane using precognition, she new about Susan and Diane for a while and felt there was something familiar, but ignored it, and it's quite possible she at least knew of Adrian's first time (him being in is actual twenties probably meant she was still teaching him how to use magic and such and she wouldn't have been past the 200 year mark yet either) and it was probably the first time Pandora would have told Adrian about how it wasn't possible for him to get anyone pregnant. One Pandora learned that was a lie, it wouldn't have taken much to go back to Diane and Susan to double check, probably by comparing aura's or something, of course Zeus could have filled in some blanks too.

23 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

•  Helena
  •  Demetrius
  •  The Demonic Duck

Magus, Helena, and Demetrius were in all of one scene, which was over before the party properly got started. Matt Cohen was in exactly two strips, with one more strip talking about the incident, after which the only affect of his appearance was that they had pizza.

Only the Demonic Duck actually stuck around for long. However he still didn't get much panel time, mostly lurking in the background and only being focused on when he was relevant to the story arcs of the main 8. I can't see Dan treating most of the characters I've heard proposed as party crashers that way (particularly since anyone the main 8 don't know will require introductions, and anyone who doesn't know much about magic is going to have interesting reactions to learning about it).

1 hour ago, ChronosCat said:

Magus, Helena, and Demetrius were in all of one scene, which was over before the party properly got started.

Magus split early (literally) but Helena and Demetrius were around for the karaoke contest. 

While they weren't actually at the party itself, Mr. Sciuridae and Grace's "siblings" got in touch with Grace the morning of her birthday, and that was important to how the party went.

There's another person who would really fit into the party: Charlotte. She knows Diane, Ellen, Nanase, and even Ashley now, and she knows about magic. Plus, she's about as smart as Susan and Diane, and more level-headed. She's probably been investigated by now, so maybe she's whitelisted. But unless Charlotte actually tagged along with Rhea-tachi to the video store, I don't see a convenient way to involve her now.

5 hours ago, Scotty said:
16 hours ago, hkmaly said:

You think Arthur has no way to give Edward Ashley's identification? (Assuming that Edward really didn't met Ashley yet. And that the security footage from the mall where she's kicking the ball on griffin isn't enough.)

I'm talking about the equivalent of biometrics though

I'm pretty sure most of those defenses are magic-based and would be completely satisfied with the method Abraham used to show Bloodgrem who's Ellen.

16 hours ago, hkmaly said:

We've had Abraham go after Ellen by tracking her down with magic.

There could have been a case of a magic user hiding their child away until at time when they'd want to reunite with them, or maybe the father gotten into something evil and the mother left and hid the baby from him and it took years for the father to be able to home in of the child's aura that might have been magically masked at first but no longer.

Technically true, but there could be lot of other reasons why someone else than parents would like to trace the child - consider Nanase. If it WOULD be considered problem, I'm sure they would get the adoption records somehow. Like, Agent Cranium would be able to get to them.

(... maybe she did, but only AFTER that talk ... if the background check wasn't finished yet ... of course father likely wouldn't be mentioned there.)

And Pandora didn't find Diane using precognition, she new about Susan and Diane for a while and felt there was something familiar, but ignored it, and it's quite possible she at least knew of Adrian's first time (him being in is actual twenties probably meant she was still teaching him how to use magic and such and she wouldn't have been past the 200 year mark yet either) and it was probably the first time Pandora would have told Adrian about how it wasn't possible for him to get anyone pregnant. One Pandora learned that was a lie, it wouldn't have taken much to go back to Diane and Susan to double check, probably by comparing aura's or something

Are you sure it wasn't precognition? She certainly knew Susan for some time, but I wouldn't be so sure about Diane. But ok maybe she knew her as well.

And that "something familiar" probably WAS aura. She's immortal, she don't need to focus on reading auras, she can totally read them subconsciously. But, yes, after Egypt she likely went to double-check.

of course Zeus could have filled in some blanks too.

I'm pretty sure she already knew everything when she grabbed him. Meanwhile Zeus wasn't sure about anything at that point.

There's another person who would really fit into the party: Charlotte. She knows Diane, Ellen, Nanase, and even Ashley now, and she knows about magic. Plus, she's about as smart as Susan and Diane, and more level-headed. She's probably been investigated by now, so maybe she's whitelisted. But unless Charlotte actually tagged along with Rhea-tachi to the video store, I don't see a convenient way to involve her now.

I suspect Charlotte doesn't really want to know more about what she's forbidden to write. And yes I would expect she would be shown already if she was in the shop.

Just now, hkmaly said:

I'm pretty sure most of those defenses are magic-based and would be completely satisfied with the method Abraham used to show Bloodgrem who's Ellen.

And Edward would need to know what Ashley's aura is and we didn't see Edward and Arthur talking face to face did we?

Just saying though, Dan's never made a big deal over what kind of protection Edward's got around the house so it's probably not as elaborate as you might think.

Just now, hkmaly said:

Are you sure it wasn't precognition? She certainly knew Susan for some time, but I wouldn't be so sure about Diane. But ok maybe she knew her as well.

Diane was a student of Adrian's there's a decent chance that Pandora's encountered her if she happened to be peeking in on any of Adrian's classes or passed her by in the halls. Especially around the time of Abraham's attack. In any case, she'd have felt a familiarity the same way Adrian felt that Susan seemed familiar, and despite Diane being his daughter, his form and the fact that she wasn't an awakened magic user would have kept him from getting the same feeling from her, but Pandora being much more powerful, she would have felt it.

Just now, hkmaly said:

I'm pretty sure she already knew everything when she grabbed him. Meanwhile Zeus wasn't sure about anything at that point.

Heka would have made Pandora realize that she had lied to herself about the whole "elves can't have children" thing which would have made her remember the familiar feelings she felt in Susan and Diane, all Zeus would do is confirm that he felt a similar connection between the two as well....actually wait....this would have to mean that Jerry knew about Diane at the time that he vowed to help Susan, maybe there was more to him suggesting they go to Adrian for help aside from Adrian being more likely to help than Arthur?

On 9/21/2019 at 10:12 PM, Scotty said:
On 9/21/2019 at 8:19 PM, hkmaly said:

And Edward would need to know what Ashley's aura is and we didn't see Edward and Arthur talking face to face did we?

The party happens two weeks after the magic reset. If Edward and Arthur didn't talked in that time, one of them is very sloppy in  their job and will be fired. Just because WE didn't see that talk, doesn't mean it didn't happen.

Just saying though, Dan's never made a big deal over what kind of protection Edward's got around the house so it's probably not as elaborate as you might think.

Dan also never made a big deal with the hammers ... until Hammerchlorians. Or with the facility holding dewitchery diamond ... until Sirleck appeared and mentioned he was involved in that plan.

Remember that Tedd though he wouldn't be able to notice anything that could get around the defenses Edward set up. Although he obviously underestimated himself at that point.

I think Dan is becoming expert on using being vague as preparations for future story lines.

Although for the record, despite all this talk about Diane being already added ... I think that it's unlikely Dan will bring the defenses in this story line. It's more likely that in the future, it will be mentioned that she was added at this point already.

Diane was a student of Adrian's there's a decent chance that Pandora's encountered her if she happened to be peeking in on any of Adrian's classes or passed her by in the halls. Especially around the time of Abraham's attack. In any case, she'd have felt a familiarity the same way Adrian felt that Susan seemed familiar, and despite Diane being his daughter, his form and the fact that she wasn't an awakened magic user would have kept him from getting the same feeling from her, but Pandora being much more powerful, she would have felt it.

Hmmm ... right, just because Adrian didn't saw her in years doesn't mean she wasn't spying on his classes.

Heka would have made Pandora realize that she had lied to herself about the whole "elves can't have children" thing which would have made her remember the familiar feelings she felt in Susan and Diane

and then she visited them, looked at their aura and confirmed that. No need for Zeus to get involved. When she FIRST met Zeus, she attacked him because she already knew Susan is her great-great-etc-daughter.

all Zeus would do is confirm that he felt a similar connection between the two as well....actually wait....this would have to mean that Jerry knew about Diane at the time that he vowed to help Susan

Considering Jerry just met Susan, if he knew about Diane it WOULD be precognition.

maybe there was more to him suggesting they go to Adrian for help aside from Adrian being more likely to help than Arthur?

Wait, when he was suggesting they got to Adrian for help?

EDIT: Oh, right, Jerry did, not Zeus. Well, he explicitly said Adrian is guaranteed to not involve Arthur ... but yes, it's totally possible he suspected Susan and Adrian are related at this point.

On 9/20/2019 at 10:14 AM, ChronosCat said:

I <did> not expect any party-crashers

Friday night She crashed the party
Saturday She'll say "I'm sorry"
Sunday comes to trash her out again
She was only having fun
Wasn't hurting any one
And we all enjoyed the weekend for a change