• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Tom Sewell

Story Monday, September 23, 2019

Elliot and Ellen look unusually similar, but could be fraternal twins; not getting why it's obvious to Diane that they're not. Given that she knows they both do magic stuff, she might have cause to wonder about it. She seems just a tad too certain.

2 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Elliot and Ellen look unusually similar, but could be fraternal twins; not getting why it's obvious to Diane that they're not. Given that she knows they both do magic stuff, she might have cause to wonder about it. She seems just a tad too certain.

Possibly because Diane was there to hear Dame Tara describe the strange difference between Elliot and Ellen, along with Diane's potential as a vampire hunter.

Nice summary, Diane, however that still means you don't know about Tedd and Ashley. Or that Grace is part space alien.

And even if you did, it should still be Edward's call if you are allowed to know any details. National security etc.

... of course, you succeed in convincing Susan so you get to be in. And, well, Edward might disagree but I don't think he will be SURPRISED you got in ...

1 hour ago, Tom Sewell said:

Still in the video store, folks.

... unlike previous page though, here I'm SURE noone would hear that, despite how unlikely that is, because there is noone else in the store who would be plot-convenient to get this summary.

25 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:
29 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Possibly because Diane was there to hear Dame Tara describe the strange difference between Elliot and Ellen, along with Diane's potential as a vampire hunter.

That wouldn't make it obvious, but I do suspect she tries to pretend knowing even more than she knows.

2 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

... unlike previous page though, here I'm SURE noone would hear that, despite how unlikely that is, because there is noone else in the store who would be plot-convenient to get this summary.

So Mr. Tensaided, Rhea, Rick, and Elijah would not be plot-convenient. Unless, of course, Dan decides they are.

Tonight (its after midnight here) I'm expecting we will be going back to the party on Wednesday, but we might find out later that someone in the video store did pick up at least part of this.

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

So Mr. Tensaided, Rhea, Rick, and Elijah would not be plot-convenient. Unless, of course, Dan decides they are.

Well, yes, obviously Dan's opinion is more important but I find it unlikely.

Tonight (its after midnight here) I'm expecting we will be going back to the party on Wednesday, but we might find out later that someone in the video store did pick up at least part of this.

Also, I think that if Dan would like someone to hear, he would add just single frame with that person after the conversation, to imply he heard but leave open how much of it.

... of course, with Dan we can't completely rule out even the possibility that he gets the idea that it would actually be good if someone hear later.

3 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

3 hours ago, hkmaly said:

That wouldn't make it obvious, but I do suspect she tries to pretend knowing even more than she knows.

There is also the fact that when Diane found out Ellen and Elliot were siblings, she questioned why they'd go to separate schools and Rhoda said that Grace quickly changed the subject after telling her that. So that, along with Tara's mentioning of Ellen being oddly different, would give Diane reason to suspect that there's more to Ellen that people have let on.

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

Also, I think that if Dan would like someone to hear, he would add just single frame with that person after the conversation, to imply he heard but leave open how much of it.

... of course, with Dan we can't completely rule out even the possibility that he gets the idea that it would actually be good if someone hear later.

Dan has been pretty clear on the subject of new characters vs known characters but disguised/transformed in that he'd leave a hint if the latter was the case, I'd say the same can be said about people overhearing/seeing something they otherwise shouldn't have, so if any of this conversation was heard by someone else, Dan would drop a hint.

Now in terms of talking at the party, I'm gonna guess Pandora's going to be mentioned, either by Tedd, Grace or Sarah which would surprise Diane, (I dunno if Susan knows that Pandora was the one that gave Tedd and Sarah their marks, Sarah probably would have mentioned her as "Box" but there's no confirmation that Susan's connected the two names.  Diane would ask how they know Pandora, and Tedd might reveal that Mr Raven is their God Father, that would make Diane Tedd's God Sister, right? ;)

2 hours ago, Scotty said:

There is also the fact that when Diane found out Ellen and Elliot were siblings, she questioned why they'd go to separate schools and Rhoda said that Grace quickly changed the subject after telling her that. So that, along with Tara's mentioning of Ellen being oddly different, would give Diane reason to suspect that there's more to Ellen that people have let on

This is the strongest reason for any one that is aware of both persons to suspect that there is something weird going on.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

There is also the fact that when Diane found out Ellen and Elliot were siblings, she questioned why they'd go to separate schools and Rhoda said that Grace quickly changed the subject after telling her that. So that, along with Tara's mentioning of Ellen being oddly different, would give Diane reason to suspect that there's more to Ellen that people have let on.

Diane had a few more clues than I was recalling. I'll go with rhetorical obvious, "I think this is the way it is, and I'm going to overstate my certainty, because that's what I do." What hkmaly said. She is smart, but she likes to appear smart.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

Now in terms of talking at the party, I'm gonna guess Pandora's going to be mentioned, either by Tedd, Grace or Sarah which would surprise Diane, (I dunno if Susan knows that Pandora was the one that gave Tedd and Sarah their marks, Sarah probably would have mentioned her as "Box" but there's no confirmation that Susan's connected the two names.  Diane would ask how they know Pandora, and Tedd might reveal that Mr Raven is their God Father, that would make Diane Tedd's God Sister, right? ;)

Actually, it's been a while since we've seen Pandora, and last appearance, she was reforming from the void or something like that. She retained her memories of her family (yet to be demonstrated), it is possible that she could show up. Such an event could be oddly beneficial for her, as the group knows her, a good portion care about her, and can back fill her on recent events she may not recall, such as her heroic sacrifice.

The role of godparent does not leave a lot of room for a godsib, but it gets a mention on the page; it's the root of the word gossip. It's a (Christian) religious role (in many older denominations), which would make it something to be avoided in a typical web comic. However, Pandora's godmother role is like Cinderella's fairy godmother, which is only similar by analogy.

I have a godsib. Her parents were my godparents and mine were hers; our dad's were good friends. She was several years older than me, and we were never close. I haven't seen her in over forty years, I'm not certain she's still alive. I consider friendship to be more meaningful than a godsib relationship, although the importance of the root godparent relationship appears to vary widely; maybe in some contexts godsibs are more meaningful as well.

It’s only been two weeks in-story since Pandora’s “refresh”, so it may be a bit too soon for her reappearance. I don’t think that she will be back until after the second Griffin meeting scheduled one week hence.

Speaking of the Griffins, I wonder what Andrea will have to say about Ellen’s new “dragon-boosted” status.

33 minutes ago, ijuin said:

Speaking of the Griffins, I wonder what Andrea will have to say about Ellen’s new “dragon-boosted” status.

Given both Tara and Andrea's ability so sense auras in detail, they might have something to say about whether there is an actual dragon connection or not. Also for Ashley.

1 hour ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

I've seen criminal defendants take an affirmative defence for Justifiable Homicide

Is there legal precedent for Justifiable Party Crashing?

Law And Order: Pizza Night

I know there was at least one case where, according to the jury, there was such a thing as justifiable arson.

Just now, Darth Fluffy said:

She is smart, but she likes to appear smart.

Being right most of the time does help though.

Actually, it's been a while since we've seen Pandora, and last appearance, she was reforming from the void or something like that. She retained her memories of her family (yet to be demonstrated), it is possible that she could show up. Such an event could be oddly beneficial for her, as the group knows her, a good portion care about her, and can back fill her on recent events she may not recall, such as her heroic sacrifice.

It's only been 2 weeks since her reset, Jerry said he'd be out for "a few weeks" so I don't think Pandora's refresh would go any quicker, in fact I'd expected it to take longer because she'll be reintegrating her memories differently in order to carry on any emotional connections.

Still if Pandora does come up, Tedd can assure Diane that Pandora will be OK.

The role of godparent does not leave a lot of room for a godsib, but it gets a mention on the page; it's the root of the word gossip. It's a (Christian) religious role (in many older denominations), which would make it something to be avoided in a typical web comic. However, Pandora's godmother role is like Cinderella's fairy godmother, which is only similar by analogy.

Well I guess based on the meaning of godsibb from that link, it's more like Edward and Adrian are the godsibs and Tedd and Diane would be godcousins?

But I was mainly trying to establish that Tedd and Diane could have some common ground to build a friendship from, it might even be as much, if not more, of a bonding point than Tedd and Susan having dealt with divorced parents.

Also, maybe Sarah might say how her visit with Adrian went, at this point it seems clear that Adrian didn't mention being Diane's father and Susan's ancestor, but again if the subject comes up, Sarah could have something to contribute.

Just now, ijuin said:

Given both Tara and Andrea's ability so sense auras in detail, they might have something to say about whether there is an actual dragon connection or not. Also for Ashley.

At the very least they might be able to give insight into what happened to them, dragon or no dragon, they absorbed power and it gave or unlocked abilities they didn't have before, maybe there's been record of similar cases on the other side of the world.

8 hours ago, ijuin said:

It’s only been two weeks in-story since Pandora’s “refresh”, so it may be a bit too soon for her reappearance. I don’t think that she will be back until after the second Griffin meeting scheduled one week hence.

Agree, it's too soon for her to appear.

3 hours ago, Scotty said:

It's only been 2 weeks since her reset, Jerry said he'd be out for "a few weeks" so I don't think Pandora's refresh would go any quicker, in fact I'd expected it to take longer because she'll be reintegrating her memories differently in order to carry on any emotional connections.

Yes.

Still if Pandora does come up, Tedd can assure Diane that Pandora will be OK.

Mostly OK. I expect complicated explanation.

7 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:
8 hours ago, ijuin said:

More importantly, they might actually know some dragon.

Note that we didn't find out if the spellbook says anything new about Ellen - last time she wanted to look they were distracted by the books suddenly being much less verbose.

But yes, griffins might bring more light on the issue ...

At the very least they might be able to give insight into what happened to them, dragon or no dragon, they absorbed power and it gave or unlocked abilities they didn't have before, maybe there's been record of similar cases on the other side of the world.

... also possible. Only library on THIS side of the world having information useful for this would likely be the one Heka is guarding, but on the griffin side, stuff like that might be mentioned in standard encyclopedias ...

29 minutes ago, Scotty said:
56 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Mostly OK. I expect complicated explanation.

Well Tedd can relay what the WoM told her. I can even see Tedd emphasizing the "You will still be family" part.

Yeah, still. Diane doesn't have the same knowledge about how immortal deaths work as Susan has (unless she told her, but I don't think so), so they first need to tell her how it normally works and then how it will be different with Pandora.

2 hours ago, Scotty said:

Gonna make a prediction:

Justin has expressed interest in answering the door while female when the pizza gets delivered,  I'm gonna guess that Susan and Diane ring the doorbell at Tedd's at just about the time the pizza is expected. :)

I'll take 25Q$ of that action.

11 hours ago, Scotty said:

Justin has expressed interest in answering the door while female when the pizza gets delivered,  I'm gonna guess that Susan and Diane ring the doorbell at Tedd's at just about the time the pizza is expected. :)

... sounds likely, especially considering the time window for pizza delivery may not be SO short.

I mean ...

*ring*

Justin: "What, pizza is already there?" (transforms himself and hurries to the door)

Tedd: "I didn't ordered it yet ... Nanase?"

... sounds likely, especially considering the time window for pizza delivery may not be SO short.

I mean ...

*ring*

Justin: "What, pizza is already there?" (transforms himself and hurries to the door)

The pizza could have been ordered ahead of time, it is possible that Tedd asked for it to be delivered at a specific time. Tedd could have also remembered everyone's topping preferences from Grace's birthday or any other time a bunch of them have had pizza together.

22 minutes ago, Scotty said:

I mean ...

*ring*

The pizza could have been ordered ahead of time, it is possible that Tedd asked for it to be delivered at a specific time. Tedd could have also remembered everyone's topping preferences from Grace's birthday or any other time a bunch of them have had pizza together.

... while possible, the idea was that it's Susan and Diane but Justin assumes it's pizza even without having any reason for it.

1 minute ago, hkmaly said:

... while possible, the idea was that it's Susan and Diane but Justin assumes it's pizza even without having any reason for it.

Justin assuming it's pizza would mean he assumed the pizza had already been ordered, and if he didn't see anyone order it, then he'd have to assume the order was placed before he arrived.

I would expect that if Tedd hadn't ordered it yet, she would have given everyone an idea of when she was planning on it, like as soon as everyone had arrived or once they got settled in, especially if Tedd decided to ask for topping preferences (in case she forgot what everyone liked at Grace's birthday or if they might want to try something different). If Tedd did order ahead of time, she could also tell everyone as they arrived when the pizza will get there.

This is assuming Tedd is trying to be a good host, which I do expect she would.

I just remembered this:

On 9/18/2019 at 6:25 AM, hkmaly said:
On 9/18/2019 at 6:15 AM, Scotty said:

I guess Susan could be like "I didn't want to reveal anything about your connection to them if you weren't ready to tell anyone either." and maybe Diane would be "I wanted to be sure I wasn't stepping on your toes if I did, but I think we could at least trust them with this." and then they finally go to the party.

Yeah, could be. However I think it would be more words. Possibly not fit on Friday page.

So while it ended up being on a Monday comic, and not quite the same way, Diane does reveal that she expected Susan to have told her friends about that night, and is also ok with Susan telling them and will even be there to support her if she does.