• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
hkmaly

NP Monday, Sep 23, 2019

http://egscomics.com/egsnp/parable-011

On 9/21/2019 at 0:43 AM, hkmaly said:

Now ... will the game even allow her to not kill him? I would say that's the most obvious problem with all that options Dan was speaking about: if game won't consider the fight finished until you kill all enemies, it doesn't really matter what kinds of funny options it has, you WILL eventually use the slow to attack them.

(NOTE: I have strong suspicion that we won't see any killing, and most likely Dan even wouldn't comment about that.)

Ok. I got it half right. We won't see any killing, but Dan DID commented about that, mentioning exact problem I mentioned.

Also, yes, tie up mechanics would be terrible for pacing, also most of those bandits are murderers who deserve to die. But no way would Susan actually be killing them. Maybe later if she gets really angry.

(We commented about "non-lethal take downs" before ... not even web may help ... only way for fighting or RPG game to realistically avoid killing people is, well, to not include any people.)

4 hours ago, hkmaly said:

(We commented about "non-lethal take downs" before ... not even web may help ... only way for fighting or RPG game to realistically avoid killing people is, well, to not include any people.)

On the other hand, too much realism can make a game not very fun...

Obviously not every game with fighting needs non-lethal means of victory, but most games are going to have enough other departures from reality that safe non-lethal take downs would not really be out of place.

On September 23, 2019, Dan Shive said:

Which, as I've said, isn't really a big deal until you make an hour long video in which you endlessly berate the creators and insult their intelligence while suggesting things that wouldn't actually work, PERSON WHO DOES THAT!

(I was going to jokingly end that sentence with some random name, but given how many people make critique videos these days, there's probably no name I could go with that wouldn't be linked to an actual person.)

I thought the EGS SOP was to blame it on Tedd?

The ability to do things that the original designer didn't think about is a key reason why TTRPG are better, in my arrogant opinion then CRGP.

15 hours ago, ChronosCat said:
19 hours ago, hkmaly said:

On the other hand, too much realism can make a game not very fun...

Obviously not every game with fighting needs non-lethal means of victory, but most games are going to have enough other departures from reality that safe non-lethal take downs would not really be out of place.

Good point.

Another nice example of not-exactly-realistic option are FPS games like Unreal Tournament and Quake Arena, based on non-lethal killing.

7 hours ago, mlooney said:

The ability to do things that the original designer didn't think about is a key reason why TTRPG are better, in my arrogant opinion then CRGP.

I would like to say that computers will eventually get there, but considering how many games are not bothering even with options which would be easy to think about ...

(in lot of sci-fi, the strong AI developed from RPG AI)

Of course, with non-experienced game master this aspect will make the game more complex, but not better. Following story is usually more fun than "exploring open world" (read: get lost in open world, going into circles and missing all interesting areas no matter how the game master tries to move them in front of you).