• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Stature

Story Monday October 7, 2019

2 minutes ago, Stature said:

Shrug it off, Ashley is just sheepish. More than ever, really.

IMHO not just sheepish but also not sure how to react to Nanase being too sexy for her now. Of course, Grace did pointed out the outfit might be too sexy ...

Anyway, the main problem with that "localized" anomaly will be the boundary. Because if everything on one side of boundary moves faster, it means it's MUCH HOTTER. Kinetic energy is proportional to temperature. If something is twice as fast, it means it's four times more hot - in Kelvins, so room temperature will become hot enough to melt silver coins. Forget Lara Croft having hard time to turn the knife due to the knife being time stopped: it would MELT when she would touch it ... melt and BOIL. (Let's ignore what would the air do.)

Theory of relativity allows two ways for time going at different speed: in the special one, the objects are "separated" by moving at so different speeds any contact is fatal anyway. In the general one, the boundary is never sharp.

Anything that would have as widespread an effect as stopping the entire universe would require deity-level power (i.e. power that makes supernovas look puny). Even all of the Immortals working in concert would probably be unable to reach much beyond a planetary scale. Far easier would be something like "speed you up so much that it seems like even bullets are barely moving", with some compensation for stuff like air resistance.

16 minutes ago, ijuin said:

Anything that would have as widespread an effect as stopping the entire universe would require deity-level power (i.e. power that makes supernovas look puny)

I think even most deities don't have that level of power. Sure, lot of them claims to, but ...

16 minutes ago, ijuin said:

Even all of the Immortals working in concert would probably be unable to reach much beyond a planetary scale.

Yes. Even Pandora with all her power couldn't wipe out all aberrations directly herself. Although, technically, the anomaly MIGHT be limited to planet ... only, WHY? Because the idea is to have YOU moving faster RELATIVELY to the rest of planet, and if that's what you want, it's much simpler to ...

18 minutes ago, ijuin said:

Far easier would be something like "speed you up so much that it seems like even bullets are barely moving", with some compensation for stuff like air resistance.

... just make you faster and try to compensate for lot of things to not kill you immediately.

3 hours ago, hkmaly said:

IMHO not just sheepish but also not sure how to react to Nanase being too sexy for her now. Of course, Grace did pointed out the outfit might be too sexy ...

Not just the outfit, Ashley probably feels like Nanase is hitting on her, which given that both Elliot and Ellen are in the room, would of course make things awkward.

Everything related to the time stop conversation.

Given that manipulation of time is just not possible, everything is just speculation based on sci-fi tropes.

Of course it doesn't really stop anyone from talking about said tropes as if it might be possible. Justin and Sarah haven't been told it's not possible.

Sure any effect that alters the perception of time, such as speeding up to the point where everything else seems to be moving slow or stopped completely, or slowing your body down making everything seem like it's moving faster, could also be possible, it'd might also work on the whole "as you accelerate towards the speed of light, time around you speeds up so x number of seconds you travel that fast = x number of days/months/years pass in real time.

Of course those methods aren't reversible so, and you'd have to hope that a magic "make everything seems like time's stopped" doesn't have you continue to age while you're using it, spending even a few minutes a day like that adds up.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

Of course those methods aren't reversible so, and you'd have to hope that a magic "make everything seems like time's stopped" doesn't have you continue to age while you're using it, spending even a few minutes a day like that adds up.

That's why Sarah has her 18 year old form backed up on Tedd's transformation gun

Anyhoo...

The meddling kids who actually can manipulate time and space discuss it like Star Trek Technobabble
They need to get in touch with an actual astrophysicist
Preferably one who is on the "Authorized" list

Maybe Ashley doesn't like fairies as much as she likes squirrels. Maybe Nanase is coming on too strong. Or maybe, like me, Ashley's not a fan of that outfit.

I guess we'll find out Wednesday!

3 hours ago, Scotty said:

Given that manipulation of time is just not possible, everything is just speculation based on sci-fi tropes.

Specifically, sending anything (matter, energy, information) into the past is impossible and breaks causality. Speeding or slowing an individual being or object's relative experience of time still appears possible given sufficient energy and the blessing of the Will of Magic.

6 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

Maybe Ashley doesn't like fairies as much as she likes squirrels. Maybe Nanase is coming on too strong. Or maybe, like me, Ashley's not a fan of that outfit.

2 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Uh-oh. Nanase seems to be thinking "Ashley held Grace, but she doesn't want to hold me?"

Nanase might have been expecting Ashley to be more enthusiastic based on her reaction to seeing the doll she made to be able to talk to the griffins, but I still say she's coming off as trying to flirt with Ashley rather than impress her, I mean did she let Diane hold her? Diane would likely have loved to.

5 hours ago, ijuin said:

Specifically, sending anything (matter, energy, information) into the past is impossible and breaks causality. Speeding or slowing an individual being or object's relative experience of time still appears possible given sufficient energy and the blessing of the Will of Magic.

Yeah, but it's not really time travel or really time manipulation at all. It's altering your perception of time as well as the speed at which you move in relation to your surroundings.

Maybe Ashley is blushing (again) because she's thinking about baseball?

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

but I still say she's coming off as trying to flirt with Ashley rather than impress her, I mean did she let Diane hold her? Diane would likely have loved to.

Given Nanase's clothing and pose in the next-to-last panel, I'd vote for flirting too, even if Nanase might not be aware of what she's doing. Might also explain why Ashley's made Nanase uncomfortable from day one.

Diane would love to, but given how she doesn't like to be caught geeking out like Elijah, she probably wouldn't admit it. Diane might figure out that Ashley is the reason why Nanase is wearing that very abbreviated outfit.

Just now, Tom Sewell said:

Maybe Ashley is blushing (again) because she's thinking about baseball?

Of course,  and both Ellen and Elliot are in the room so the awkward is stronk  here. :)

2 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

Diane would love to, but given how she doesn't like to be caught geeking out like Elijah, she probably wouldn't admit it. Diane might figure out that Ashley is the reason why Nanase is wearing that very abbreviated outfit.

I think Diane's more open to admitting she likes geeky things now than she was prior falling in love with Lucy. Though I guess we'll see if falling in love with Lucy has changed how Diane views Nanase soon enough.

12 hours ago, Scotty said:
16 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Not just the outfit, Ashley probably feels like Nanase is hitting on her, which given that both Elliot and Ellen are in the room, would of course make things awkward.

... yeah that sounds likely.

1 hour ago, Tom Sewell said:
2 hours ago, Scotty said:

but I still say she's coming off as trying to flirt with Ashley rather than impress her, I mean did she let Diane hold her? Diane would likely have loved to.

Given Nanase's clothing and pose in the next-to-last panel, I'd vote for flirting too, even if Nanase might not be aware of what she's doing. Might also explain why Ashley's made Nanase uncomfortable from day one.

That panel MIGHT be "Ashley's vision" ... but yes I suspect Nanase could really pose like this. Although probably not because she would have feelings for Ashley ... it will still come out as flirting to Ashley.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:
1 hour ago, Tom Sewell said:

I think Diane's more open to admitting she likes geeky things now than she was prior falling in love with Lucy. Though I guess we'll see if falling in love with Lucy has changed how Diane views Nanase soon enough.

Why would THAT change how she feels about geeky things? However, she MIGHT react differently based on all the introspection about how other see her. Like, her main worry about geeky things was what would others think about her, and after finding out what they actually DID though about her, she may care less.

9 hours ago, ijuin said:
13 hours ago, Scotty said:

Did DAN actually specified it this way? I'm still not convinced getting information from future is entirely impossible in EGS.

Of course, this is complicated by the possibility of non-magic ways to time travel.

13 hours ago, Scotty said:

Of course it doesn't really stop anyone from talking about said tropes as if it might be possible. Justin and Sarah haven't been told it's not possible.

Yes, definitely.

11 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

The meddling kids who actually can manipulate time and space discuss it like Star Trek Technobabble

... they can?

5 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Uh-oh. Nanase seems to be thinking "Ashley held Grace, but she doesn't want to hold me?"

Wait. Nanase probably doesn't know Ashley held Grace. And Ashley might react differently to Grace if Tedd would be in room ... (assuming she knows Grace is Tedd's girlfriend, which she probably does).

Why would THAT change how she feels about geeky things? However, she MIGHT react differently based on all the introspection about how other see her. Like, her main worry about geeky things was what would others think about her, and after finding out what they actually DID though about her, she may care less.

The point I was trying to make was that she took the cynical jerk side of her and tossed it out the window which opened her up to being able to embrace the stuff she'd been suppressing the past couple years or so.

Wait. Nanase probably doesn't know Ashley held Grace. And Ashley might react differently to Grace if Tedd would be in room ... (assuming she knows Grace is Tedd's girlfriend, which she probably does).

Sarah got to hold Grace, so I wouldn't doubt that she'd come to the conclusion that Grace let Ashley hold her, as for whether Ashley knows Grace is Tedd's girlfriend...I don't believe it's been stated to her on panel, I don't see why she couldn't have been told off panel though.

20 hours ago, Scotty said:
On 10/8/2019 at 1:28 AM, hkmaly said:

The point I was trying to make was that she took the cynical jerk side of her and tossed it out the window which opened her up to being able to embrace the stuff she'd been suppressing the past couple years or so.

My point was that admitting her love to Lucy was result of that, not a cause.

(Also note that "falling in love with Lucy" would be very hard to point to specific time.)