• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Tom Sewell

Wednesday, October 9, 2019

Wait...

Tedd Knows Latin?

This opens up a whole new realm of wild speculation

What if Tedd spent a significant portion of his alone time during the shy/mute years studying Latin because his young and fragile psyche turned to religion to make sense of what happened in his family?  What if he was seriously considering becoming a Priest?

Yes, I know Tedd is presenting as female right now
I was thinking of a point in the past before Tedd had access to transformative tech and identified as gender-fluid
This would have been before Tedd was aware of either the technology or terminology

Tedd learned Latin from listening to Era?

[spoiler="excerpt from Infanate, translated"]Infanati working del dele
sensore Infanati
Sensore Infanati on a subject matter of the gods
Devouring matter senza mia
Irrento matter senza mia
Infanati ...[/spoiler]

Tedd learned Latin by listening to Era?

A portion of Infanate, by way of Google Translate

Infanati working del dele
sensore Infanati
Sensore Infanati on a subject matter of the gods
Devouring matter senza mia
Irrento matter senza mia
Infanati ...

16 hours ago, mlooney said:

Of course Susan wouldn't just bring Diane with out asking.

She's not stupid. Also, she might be aware of the possibility that Tedd's home is protected.

7 hours ago, ijuin said:

I was thinking less Church Latin and more Harry Potter style pseudo-Latin incantations.

The "undoubtedly incorrect latin" made me think that too. If Tedd would actually get into studying Latin, he would be good in it.

I hope we will get full explanation - or DEMONSTRATION - of what that is. List of spells which can be cast just by saying stuff? Sounds like something from one of previous versions of magic.

Or are those activation phrases for home defense system?

... or wait, maybe those are for activating some wand. That would be fairly normal.

12 hours ago, ijuin said:

I was thinking less Church Latin and more Harry Potter style pseudo-Latin incantations.

There is another book series Dan has read about a wizard named Harry.

4 hours ago, hkmaly said:

She's not stupid. Also, she might be aware of the possibility that Tedd's home is protected.

Or, because she considers Tedd her friend, she feels that just crashing the party with an uninvited guest (Diane) would be rude.

If it wasn't for her hugging Diane after the pep talk earlier, I'd probably say she could also be hoping for another way out like if Tedd wasn't comfortable having Diane over, or if she did need to be processed by Edward first (Tedd might not have control of any whitelist)

2 minutes ago, Scotty said:
4 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Or, because she considers Tedd her friend, she feels that just crashing the party with an uninvited guest (Diane) would be rude.

... that probably too.

3 minutes ago, Scotty said:

If it wasn't for her hugging Diane after the pep talk earlier, I'd probably say she could also be hoping for another way out like if Tedd wasn't comfortable having Diane over, or if she did need to be processed by Edward first (Tedd might not have control of any whitelist)

Just because she's not hoping for that doesn't mean she won't get it, of course.

Just now, hkmaly said:

Just because she's not hoping for that doesn't mean she won't get it, of course.

Yeah it does, cus Dan won't tease us with the possibility of Susan finally showing up at the party then be like "nope there are factors that literally prevent this from being possible"

Just now, ijuin said:

How much does Dresden use pseudo-Latin for incantations?

I dunno, but Dan on reddit stated that "using poorly translated latin" was a "time-honored tradition" in more than just Harry Potter, and didn't try to correct the person that mentioned Dresden Files.

19 hours ago, Scotty said:
19 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Yeah it does, cus Dan won't tease us with the possibility of Susan finally showing up at the party then be like "nope there are factors that literally prevent this from being possible"

No it doesn't, although she won't.

Unpacked: The reason why she won't get the way out of visiting is that Dan wouldn't tease us with it and then not deliver, NOT that she's not hoping for it.

In-universe, Susan is aware that there may be good reason why Diane can't come. She doesn't have fourth-wall-breaking knowledge we do which make it unlikely.

12 hours ago, Scotty said:
17 hours ago, ijuin said:

How much does Dresden use pseudo-Latin for incantations?

I dunno, but Dan on reddit stated that "using poorly translated latin" was a "time-honored tradition" in more than just Harry Potter, and didn't try to correct the person that mentioned Dresden Files.

He might just forgot or not consider it important.

9 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

In-universe, Susan is aware that there may be good reason why Diane can't come. She doesn't have fourth-wall-breaking knowledge we do which make it unlikely.

The knowledge we have is based on what Tedd's stated about the house being protected, how it's protected is completely speculative, and if Susan's aware, it's probably because she's heard it from Tedd as well at some point, and if Tedd ever went into more detail off panel about how the protections work and whether or not she can modify them, Susan would probably have an idea of whether or not Diane would be able to come to the party without asking Tedd.

Susan texting Tedd to ask either means she doesn't know the details, or Tedd does have the ability to modify them, in which case I would hope we're able to learn about that shortly, otherwise, lack of such details would imply that maybe we're overthinking this and yet it would feel like a plot hole to mention the house being protected, but we haven't seen that protection in action, which should be setting off your "chekhov's gun" sense.

Like seriously, through the course of the comic, we've had Greg bust down the door, Magus attempt to manipulate Ellen (and it was revealed that he was responsible for manipulating Tedd and jamming the TFG which prompted her to go to Elliot's house, also manipulated Grace into looking up the facility holding the diamond), a space whale making contact with Tedd, and there's been 4 immortals (Pandora, Helena, Demetrius, Voltaire) that we know of enter and leave the house with no problems, what's it going to take to see these defenses actually defend?

21 minutes ago, Scotty said:
50 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

The knowledge we have is based on what Tedd's stated about the house being protected, how it's protected is completely speculative, and if Susan's aware, it's probably because she's heard it from Tedd as well at some point, and if Tedd ever went into more detail off panel about how the protections work and whether or not she can modify them, Susan would probably have an idea of whether or not Diane would be able to come to the party without asking Tedd.

Tedd herself might not know that many details ... or she might know them NOW but not when he mentioned it to Susan last time.

Or, like, she's politely asking, because it would be rude to say "add Diane to the whitelist, she's coming with me" even if she would be sure Tedd can do that.

23 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Susan texting Tedd to ask either means she doesn't know the details, or Tedd does have the ability to modify them, in which case I would hope we're able to learn about that shortly, otherwise, lack of such details would imply that maybe we're overthinking this and yet it would feel like a plot hole to mention the house being protected, but we haven't seen that protection in action, which should be setting off your "chekhov's gun" sense.

Exactly, totally chekhov's gun.

23 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Like seriously, through the course of the comic, we've had Greg bust down the door, Magus attempt to manipulate Ellen (and it was revealed that he was responsible for manipulating Tedd and jamming the TFG which prompted her to go to Elliot's house, also manipulated Grace into looking up the facility holding the diamond), a space whale making contact with Tedd, and there's been 4 immortals (Pandora, Helena, Demetrius, Voltaire) that we know of enter and leave the house with no problems, what's it going to take to see these defenses actually defend?

We have Greg, that's all. It was repeatedly stated that Immortals are capable to make themselves invisible even to all other immortals (unless very young),  Magus also being on spiritual plane might be similarly hard to detect by anyone except other immortals, and the whale was totally UNKNOWN to Edward and DGB, so it not being detected is also nothing weird.

That doesn't mean it's not high time for the defenses being acknowledged and ideally actually useful soon.

However, I would like to remind one thing: until Elliot mentioned there is no way Edward hasn't done background checks on every friend Tedd has ever had, we had nothing in the comics pointing out something like that happened, except the general "it would make sense from director of secret agency". Then it was mentioned like something totally obvious. Compared to that, the defenses are totally solid info and if next page would imply that they all talked about them in detail I wouldn't be surprised.

Edward was not aware of Grace entering his home until after he arrived

Before he realized who Grace actually was, Edward reprimanded Tedd
Reminding him that Elliot and Sarah were the only people he was permitted to bring into the house

There was no reason Edward would have anticipated Grace seeking out himself or Tedd before that event

If someone with Grace's level of power could enter the Verres house without triggering at least an alert to Edward, or more serious automatic defenses, the default condition was very likely in the range of passive monitoring

So the question becomes, how has the security at the Verres house changed since then?
Knowing that there would be several unusual, but authorized, visitors present at this party lead Edward to dial up or dial back the defenses?

And does Tedd have enough authorized access to the security system to bring in an unexpected visitor today?

Businesses will have a lobby or reception area where a person off the street can enter and wait while those on the inside determine where this visitor may go and who they can see
Is the Verres house similarly partitioned?
When Grace first arrived (if I remember correctly) she did not go directly to Tedd's room or lab but remained in the area immediately around the living room
(admittedly, this could have been an artifact of Dan's artistic style at the time which had not yet mastered many architectural details)

13 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Edward was not aware of Grace entering his home until after he arrived

Before he realized who Grace actually was, Edward reprimanded Tedd
Reminding him that Elliot and Sarah were the only people he was permitted to bring into the house

There was no reason Edward would have anticipated Grace seeking out himself or Tedd before that event

If someone with Grace's level of power could enter the Verres house without triggering at least an alert to Edward, or more serious automatic defenses, the default condition was very likely in the range of passive monitoring

Grace entered the house in weak form. As confirmed by Greg, her power goes up when she's transforming.

Also, Edward arrived quite fast afterwards, don't you think so? Totally could been alert.

And maybe Tedd inviting her in wasn't just formality ... (still wouldn't explain Greg ; seriously, Greg destroying the door seems like plot hole)

So the question becomes, how has the security at the Verres house changed since then?

And how often it changed? Is it just Edward upgrading the defenses to match rise in threat level, or is he regularly changing settings depending on what currently happens and if he's home?

Knowing that there would be several unusual, but authorized, visitors present at this party lead Edward to dial up or dial back the defenses?

Also, someone is going to bring pizza ... but he's not supposed to enter the home.

And does Tedd have enough authorized access to the security system to bring in an unexpected visitor today?

And is Diane unauthorized? Because I can totally see Edward predicting she will get into the circle faster than he would like ... on the other hand, this was faster than I would expect, so ...

14 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Also, Edward arrived quite fast afterwards, don't you think so? Totally could been alert.

His speedy return was because the security guard at the PTTwhatever called him to say his son and Elliot had been caught.  And a very hungry Jeremy made him go to the school.

There was no indication whatsoever that Edward was alerted to unauthorized entry into the house.

1 minute ago, Scotty said:
14 hours ago, hkmaly said:

His speedy return was because the security guard at the PTTwhatever called him to say his son and Elliot had been caught.  And a very hungry Jeremy made him go to the school.

There was no indication whatsoever that Edward was alerted to unauthorized entry into the house.

I meant that Edward arrived quite fast after GRACE arrived first time.

Yes, I have no idea how Greg got away with breaking the door.

9 minutes ago, Scotty said:
14 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

I meant that Edward arrived quite fast after GRACE arrived first time.

He could have been walking by the stairs to the main floor and heard Tedd and Grace talking, and since Grace's voice wasn't Elliot's, he had to go down and investigate.

... or that, yes :)