• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Tom Sewell

Friday, October 11, 2019

Grace so wants to spill all the beans

Actually, I think she would like to go around the world and give one bean at a time to everyone on the planet

Also, is The Ghost Shark now an EGS character we need to follow?
How does Ghost Shark fit into the One True n-hedron?

Grace's desire to spill beans for Diane feels grafted on for plot purposes, not entirely in-character. She had an affinity for Ashley, contrawise she barely knows Diane, and the Diane she met had a less positive personality. I don't see any big negatives in the interactions they had, but nor do I see a big draw, where she'd be excited to share herself with Diane. It feels to me very much like she's overreacting.

It makes sense for Nanase to be on the positive side of neutral, and Ellen. In addition to knowing something about how much she knows, they've also hung out with her a bit. They would also be aware of her recent changes. I would expect Justin, Elliot and Grace to be similar, and Ashley if she has a say, Justin, because he has some interaction, even some recent positive hanging out, and Elliot and Grace because they were there for one (Grace) or both (Elliot) of her encounters with magical stuff. Plus, they all trust Susan, they know she leans skeptical, and her endorsement would carry a lot of weight. (I'm not saying Ashley does.) Both Tedd and Sarah are open minded. Including Diane would not be a great stretch; the biggest hangup might be that Edward hadn't already blessed it, they seem to respect his say-so, more or less.

So, I wonder if this represents a change in how Dan views Grace, a personality shift for her. She's been struggling with keeping secrets, maybe she broke? As Grace is a popular character, a change in Grace is risky. She's moving from being a cornerstone of sanity and stability to becoming one of the flakier members.

What I hope this doesn't represent is Dan is feeling an inordinate amount of pressure to justify his decisions in his own freaking story. Dude, the InterWebs does not lack for idiots, and even if you strike one down, two more will arise. You can't not ignore them. (OMG, that seems to be the most consistent way to say that, "You have to ignore them" isn't quite the same. It's a horrible construction, and, it probably does not translate well out of English.)

56 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Grace has been worried about how Rhoda would react to Grace telling her about herself, telling Ashley of course has been some help alleviating those concerns, but I'm pretty sure that knowing that Diane's already figured out that Shade Tail at New Years was Grace has great potential for being able to tell not only Diane that she's part Alien, but also give her confidence to tell Rhoda. Maybe Grace thinks that Diane knows about Rhoda having magic and has been helping her keep that secret? How would Diane react when Grace mentions that she believes Rhoda and Catalina have magic, has Grace even told Susan that yet? I guess Grace and Susan haven't really interacted any since probably the day the infamous couch throwing video went live, so unless Tedd, Sarah or Justin told Susan that Grace had prophetic dreams about Catalina getting a magic mark I dunno how else Susan would know.

1 hour ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Also, is The Ghost Shark now an EGS character we need to follow?

The existence of a Ghost Shark would only mean one thing...

The Uryuom in orbit won.

3 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:

I would expect Justin, Elliot and Grace to be similar, and Ashley if she has a say, Justin, because he has some interaction, even some recent positive hanging out, and Elliot and Grace because they were there for one (Grace) or both (Elliot) of her encounters with magical stuff. Plus, they all trust Susan, they know she leans skeptical, and her endorsement would carry a lot of weight. (I'm not saying Ashley does.) Both Tedd and Sarah are open minded. Including Diane would not be a great stretch; the biggest hangup might be that Edward hadn't already blessed it, they seem to respect his say-so, more or less.

Elliot would probably be on the fence due to limited interaction, Justin's had better experiences recently with Diane and could more easily vouch for her now than he would have a few weeks earlier, his uneasiness here would likely be due to the whole "outgoing bisexual doppel-Susan" thing, and Sarah would be feeling a combination of being intimidated by Diane being an "outgoing bisexual dopple-Susan" and being worried about Susan seeing her transforming later, which Tedd knows about.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

Elliot would probably be on the fence due to limited interaction, ...

Elliot is non-judgemental, he's met Diane twice, he knows Ellen and Nanase have hung out with her, and he knows she's had exposure to magic happening. He also knows she's a potential vampire hunter and might want to enclude her to either encourage her or out of concern for her safety.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

... Justin's had better experiences recently with Diane and could more easily vouch for her now than he would have a few weeks earlier, his uneasiness here would likely be due to the whole "outgoing bisexual doppel-Susan" thing, and Sarah would be feeling a combination of being intimidated by Diane being an "outgoing bisexual dopple-Susan" and being worried about Susan seeing her transforming later, which Tedd knows about.

Justin, who has reason to dislike her, had a shared experience bowling with her. I think his relationship with Susan says that he could see the value of a similar personality knowing what is going on. Sarah would likely set aside her personal concerns about transforming, in any case, she's aware that Susan is making a choice to come at this point an that implies buy-in to ongoing activities. But, neither one is aware of what Diane has witnessed, as far as I can recall.

So, this is more to do with this storyline in general than this strip in particular, but this strip brought it to mind and it doesn't seem worth creating a new thread in General Discussion for...

The main eight all interacted during Sister I and Painted Black, but it was Grace's Birthday Party that really solidified them as a group rather than just a network of friends. Now, it looks like another party is going to see Ashley and Diane truly brought into the group after having spent quite some time as important satellites. ...Thus was the "Main Eight" upgraded to the "Main Ten"?

3 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

How does Ghost Shark fit into the One True n-hedron?

2 hours ago, Scotty said:

The existence of a Ghost Shark would only mean one thing...

The Uryuom in orbit won.

No, no. The Ghost Shark is the Space Shark's one true love; that's how it fits into the OTn.

Oops, almost missed it!

Yay for starburst background in panel six!

6 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

So, I wonder if this represents a change in how Dan views Grace, a personality shift for her. She's been struggling with keeping secrets, maybe she broke?

Alternatively: since the whole point of this party is to explicitly not keep secrets, Grace is feeling like the pressure is off her. Now there's another person that they can justify not keeping secrets from, and that's even better.

Just now, Darth Fluffy said:

Elliot is non-judgemental, he's met Diane twice, he knows Ellen and Nanase have hung out with her, and he knows she's had exposure to magic happening. He also knows she's a potential vampire hunter and might want to enclude her to either encourage her or out of concern for her safety.

I mainly meant that Elliot would be more likely to defer the decision to the rest of them, he probably wouldn't care either way unless it happened to be clearly detrimental in some way.

Just now, Darth Fluffy said:

Justin, who has reason to dislike her, had a shared experience bowling with her. I think his relationship with Susan says that he could see the value of a similar personality knowing what is going on.

Justin history with Diane hasn't been good, sure, but recent experiences does suggest he's willing to give her a chance and so far so good, him saying no strictly because she can behave too much like Susan sometimes, doesn't really feel like a fair judgement.

Hmmm ... still nothing about the house security ... I'll mention it on reddit, perhaps Dan will read it there. Can someone tweet about it?

12 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Grace's desire to spill beans for Diane feels grafted on for plot purposes, not entirely in-character. She had an affinity for Ashley, contrawise she barely knows Diane, and the Diane she met had a less positive personality. I don't see any big negatives in the interactions they had, but nor do I see a big draw, where she'd be excited to share herself with Diane. It feels to me very much like she's overreacting.

12 hours ago, Scotty said:
13 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Grace has been worried about how Rhoda would react to Grace telling her about herself, telling Ashley of course has been some help alleviating those concerns, but I'm pretty sure that knowing that Diane's already figured out that Shade Tail at New Years was Grace has great potential for being able to tell not only Diane that she's part Alien, but also give her confidence to tell Rhoda. Maybe Grace thinks that Diane knows about Rhoda having magic and has been helping her keep that secret? How would Diane react when Grace mentions that she believes Rhoda and Catalina have magic, has Grace even told Susan that yet?

This might be only way to explain Grace's overreacting. I mean, she's aware about Rhoda's relationship with Diane, and might consider Diane important stepping stone. Like, maybe she thinks Diane would know how would Rhoda reacts?

12 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

It makes sense for Nanase to be on the positive side of neutral, and Ellen. In addition to knowing something about how much she knows, they've also hung out with her a bit. They would also be aware of her recent changes.

Also, they know how much of their own magic they already shown her ... which I'm still not sure if it was good idea. Or at least if Edward would approve.

9 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

The main eight all interacted during Sister I and Painted Black, but it was Grace's Birthday Party that really solidified them as a group rather than just a network of friends. Now, it looks like another party is going to see Ashley and Diane truly brought into the group after having spent quite some time as important satellites. ...Thus was the "Main Eight" upgraded to the "Main Ten"?

Maybe, but I would wait for Edward confirming it before considering it final ...  I mean, it's unlikely Ashley and Diane wouldn't get accepted, but it's still possible that IF there would be upgrade of the group, someone else will be added as well.

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

This might be only way to explain Grace's overreacting. I mean, she's aware about Rhoda's relationship with Diane, and might consider Diane important stepping stone. Like, maybe she thinks Diane would know how would Rhoda reacts?

I think Grace may be closer to Rhoda than Diane is at this point, they probably spend more time together since the tutoring started.

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

Also, they know how much of their own magic they already shown her ... which I'm still not sure if it was good idea. Or at least if Edward would approve.

Ellen and Nanase have been circumspect, as far as situations allowed. Non-Tengu did not exactly give them a lot of options. I suppose they might have dumped her prior to meeting the griffins, wait, no, she drove. The fairy doll to talk to the griffins was kind of necessary, and much of the rest if what she's witnessed was not about them. Nanase couldn't even clean up fairy dolls at the school, she was out of it.

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

Maybe, but I would wait for Edward confirming it before considering it final ...  I mean, it's unlikely Ashley and Diane wouldn't get accepted, but it's still possible that IF there would be upgrade of the group, someone else will be added as well.

Ashley is mostly approved, pending whatever for Grace's background that she's already revealed. I don't think Diane has come up before to Edward. If he knew she was Adrian's daughter, he'd probably investigate her regardless of relationship to the group. Adrian might be obliged to volunteer that information; he's had contact with Arthur before.

1 hour ago, Darth Fluffy said:
2 hours ago, hkmaly said:

I think Grace may be closer to Rhoda than Diane is at this point, they probably spend more time together since the tutoring started.

It's hard to compare who is closer friend. It's definitely not just about the time spent together. Also, Grace might evaluated who's closer friend differently than Rhoda would.

3 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Ellen and Nanase have been circumspect, as far as situations allowed. Non-Tengu did not exactly give them a lot of options. I suppose they might have dumped her prior to meeting the griffins, wait, no, she drove. The fairy doll to talk to the griffins was kind of necessary, and much of the rest if what she's witnessed was not about them. Nanase couldn't even clean up fairy dolls at the school, she was out of it.

Oh, Diane already saw the fairy in action before the griffins ... along with FOX. Completely unnecessary. Also note that Ellen is double-FV5 there. They were showing her their magic just to boast.

Ashley is mostly approved, pending whatever for Grace's background that she's already revealed. I don't think Diane has come up before to Edward. If he knew she was Adrian's daughter, he'd probably investigate her regardless of relationship to the group. Adrian might be obliged to volunteer that information; he's had contact with Arthur before.

Well, we have precedent here: NOAH is not part of the group ... yet. Diane might end up with Noah ... OR Noah might end up being part of the group as well, as result of Adrian talking with Arthur and/or Edward. Their relationship is not good, but Diane's situation might force him to rethink. He's afraid he will have bad influence on Tedd and/or Grace, but if he will get more information about what they are doing, he may either decide it won't be so bad, or that the cat is already out of the bag and he can't make it worse.

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

Oh, Diane already saw the fairy in action before the griffins ... along with FOX. Completely unnecessary. Also note that Ellen is double-FV5 there. They were showing her their magic just to boast.

It's quite possible that Charlotte knows just as much as Diane does, since she's also seen the stuff Ellen and Nanase can do, met Elliot, and knows he's cheerleadra, she's also met Grace in Shade Tail form, although the difference here is that Charlot probably wouldn't have known Grace as well from school since she was a year ahead, but she might connect Shade Tail as being Grace by the fact that both are associated with Ellen and Nanase, and Shade Tail came in with Cheerleadra whom Charlotte knows is Elliot.

Whether or not Charlotte thinks Ellen "isn't simply Elliot's sister" is probably dependent on if she connected what Tara said about Ellen being oddly different than Elliot, and Ellen having been the target of the attack the previous year.

22 minutes ago, Scotty said:

It's quite possible that Charlotte knows just as much as Diane does

Except, obviously, the stuff about Pandora. About immortals she only know what she saw in TV and on internet ... on the other hand, I'm sure she watched those, Diane might not.

Just now, hkmaly said:

Except, obviously, the stuff about Pandora. About immortals she only know what she saw in TV and on internet ... on the other hand, I'm sure she watched those, Diane might not.

yeah, the stuff that happened at the mall with Susan and Diane wouldn't be known to Charlotte. Diane must know about Pandora's appearance on TV though because Rhoda was involved and Rhoda probably told Diane immediately after it happened so she could catch a replay of it on the evening news (the breaking coverage was Live so unless everyone was watching in the school cafeteria or something, the students would need to wait till the evening replay)

18 minutes ago, Scotty said:
8 hours ago, hkmaly said:

yeah, the stuff that happened at the mall with Susan and Diane wouldn't be known to Charlotte.

Yes. She would know about the rumors that Diane killed a big snake monster and if that rumor is based on someone filming it with phone she likely saw that video ... but it's not likely someone filmed the discussion: it didn't looked that interesting. Well, unless you count that Pandora hovered in air. And even if someone DID filmed that, Pandora doesn't look THAT similar to her appearance in TV, so she can't really connect those.

25 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Diane must know about Pandora's appearance on TV though because Rhoda was involved and Rhoda probably told Diane immediately after it happened so she could catch a replay of it on the evening news (the breaking coverage was Live so unless everyone was watching in the school cafeteria or something, the students would need to wait till the evening replay)

THAT coverage someone definitely recorded from TV and put on internet.

20 hours ago, hkmaly said:

I'm not talking about Mr. Verres' "keep everything to you eight and there won't be any problems" (or whatever the exact quote is), I'm talking about how the characters see themselves, and how us readers see them. And I don't think either the group or we need Mr. Verres permission to think of Ashley and Diane as part of the group.

That said, I don't think it will end with just ten. Too many characters are close to the "eight" and/or are given a lot of attention by the narrative. I think it's only a matter of time until Catalina and Rhoda join, and if their relationships with Jusin and Sarah get serious it would make sense for Luke and Sam to eventually join. Plenty of other characters have potential as well. However, I don't expect any of that any time soon (and certainly not during this story line).

27 minutes ago, ChronosCat said:
21 hours ago, hkmaly said:

I'm not talking about Mr. Verres' "keep everything to you eight and there won't be any problems" (or whatever the exact quote is), I'm talking about how the characters see themselves, and how us readers see them. And I don't think either the group or we need Mr. Verres permission to think of Ashley and Diane as part of the group.

I am reader and while I didn't NEED Mr. Verres's permission I just say I wouldn't mind waiting for it.

Or for any other moment actually solidifying the group. Frankly, the not-sharing of information about Pandora made the main eight stop feeling as consistent group to me.

31 minutes ago, ChronosCat said:

That said, I don't think it will end with just ten. Too many characters are close to the "eight" and/or are given a lot of attention by the narrative. I think it's only a matter of time until Catalina and Rhoda join, and if their relationships with Jusin and Sarah get serious it would make sense for Luke and Sam to eventually join. Plenty of other characters have potential as well. However, I don't expect any of that any time soon (and certainly not during this story line).

Actually, I wouldn't say "plenty". Charlotte and Noah, who else? Hmmm ... maybe Liz or Lucy, but that feels even more remote.

And both Luke and Sam have issues. Sam doesn't seem to be capable of opening anytime soon and Luke is likely still keeping the existence of other groups he's part of secret from Justin.

8 hours ago, hkmaly said:

... but it's not likely someone filmed the discussion: it didn't looked that interesting. Well, unless you count that Pandora hovered in air. And even if someone DID filmed that, Pandora doesn't look THAT similar to her appearance in TV, so she can't really connect those.

I was under the impression that the mall had been evacuated by then, obviously people saw Susan save the kid being chased by the one aberration, but Sarah was confused when Susan said "someone else"  and stated the the news only mentioned "a woman with a sword and a fairy" so it would seem apparent that Adrian wasn't seen fighting the other aberrations. This page is the last time in that part of the story that we see bystanders running and then every page in that part since shows a rather empty part of the mall except for our heroes and the aberrations.

4 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

George already knows everything

He's not that old, but I still think his chance to be counted is same as Edward Verres or Adrian Raven's himself.

3 hours ago, Scotty said:
12 hours ago, hkmaly said:

... but it's not likely someone filmed the discussion: it didn't looked that interesting. Well, unless you count that Pandora hovered in air. And even if someone DID filmed that, Pandora doesn't look THAT similar to her appearance in TV, so she can't really connect those.

I was under the impression that the mall had been evacuated

I though it's only called evacuation if it's organized, and not when just everyone ran away.

by then, obviously people saw Susan save the kid being chased by the one aberration, but Sarah was confused when Susan said "someone else"  and stated the the news only mentioned "a woman with a sword and a fairy" so it would seem apparent that Adrian wasn't seen fighting the other aberrations

Or Susan was more memorable :)

Sarah probably watched just normal news. CHARLOTTE watched the youtube videos done by people who found all recordings of the event and analyzed it frame by frame. Something like when they analyze trailers to new blockbuster movies. (Well, expected-to-be-blockbusters at least.) Or maybe she was CREATING those.

We still don't know if Arthur managed to confiscate all security cameras footage.

This page is the last time in that part of the story that we see bystanders running and then every page in that part since shows a rather empty part of the mall except for our heroes and the aberrations.

NEXT page shows Pandora discussing with Susan and Adrian. Someone might've noticed that. And some people with camera phones are stupid enough to risk more than professional war reporters. And frankly, I'm not exactly sure that Dan wanted to draw more bystanders than absolutely necessary ...

... although there likely wasn't anyone around for the final discussion.

7 hours ago, Scotty said:

I was under the impression that the mall had been evacuated by then, obviously people saw Susan save the kid being chased by the one aberration, but Sarah was confused when Susan said "someone else"  and stated the the news only mentioned "a woman with a sword and a fairy" so it would seem apparent that Adrian wasn't seen fighting the other aberrations. This page is the last time in that part of the story that we see bystanders running and then every page in that part since shows a rather empty part of the mall except for our heroes and the aberrations.

I'm under the impression that Dan didn't want to draw any more fleeing bystanders that didn't have anything to contribute to the story in his head at the time. He implied that there are people in the parking lot when Ashley undid her ponytail to change her appearance, but didn't show any other people who weren't developed characters until after Tara destroyed the spider vampire. He also didn't show the train that delayed Ellen, Nanase, and Ashley; it was just "sound effects" including "CHOO-CHOO" which was absolutely absurd--I haven't seen an actual working steam locomotive since 1955!

I think I made that last point before, but I'm going to elaborate: Steam locomotives in the United States were well on their way to be replaced by diesels or electrics by the end of the 1930s. World War II gave them a reprieve.

Anyway, the second incident in the Moperville Mall in less than a week should have drawn a lot of police, media, and lookie-loos, and Dan could pull all sorts of plot points  from that premise if he wants to at any time.

NEXT page shows Pandora discussing with Susan and Adrian. Someone might've noticed that. And some people with camera phones are stupid enough to risk more than professional war reporters. And frankly, I'm not exactly sure that Dan wanted to draw more bystanders than absolutely necessary ...

Just now, Tom Sewell said:

I'm under the impression that Dan didn't want to draw any more fleeing bystanders that didn't have anything to contribute to the story in his head at the time.

I feel like if there were people crazy enough to stick around to see the whole event, then there would like have been some that would even stay to tell reporters, the news Sarah and other people read should have reflected that.

Just now, Tom Sewell said:

He implied that there are people in the parking lot when Ashley undid her ponytail to change her appearance,

He didn't imply that there for certain were people in the parking lot, he implied that Ashley was erring on the side of caution in case someone happened to be out there and see them before they got to Elliot's car.

It's not a definite, but even if the parking lot was completely empty of other people, it's still a good idea to act like there might be someone else there.

18 hours ago, hkmaly said:

I am reader and while I didn't NEED Mr. Verres's permission I just say I wouldn't mind waiting for it.

Well, I'm certainly not waiting for it. :)

18 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Actually, I wouldn't say "plenty". Charlotte and Noah, who else? Hmmm ... maybe Liz or Lucy, but that feels even more remote.

And both Luke and Sam have issues. Sam doesn't seem to be capable of opening anytime soon and Luke is likely still keeping the existence of other groups he's part of secret from Justin.

He's well behind Rhoda and Catalina, but I suspect that Noah will one day be part of the main cast. In fact, between the big deal Dan made of him when he was introduced, and the fact that he was made to be Elliot's friend, I suspect that Dan has always intended him to become a major character if not one of the main group, it just hasn't worked out that way (yet).

Charlotte has all the makings of an important character, particularly if we get more focus on Ellen and Nanase's adventures.

Liz seems okay being outside the group, but between how much she cares about Ashley and her having been implied to have magic, I expect her to get more focus in the future, and after that who knows.

If Diane and Rhoda are both main characters, it would be strange for Lucy to be left out; besides, romantic partners have a tendency to be drawn into the main group (or at least it worked that way with Ashley).

Luke and Sam are on my list because they are in relationships with main characters. But yes, they're nowhere near ready to be main characters; this is why I specified they would be candidates if the relationships got serious (if the relationships get serious they will likely get  lot more panel time and spend more time with the current main characters, but if the relationships don't go anywhere I expect them to fade out of the narrative once their plotlines are complete).

Other characters I can think of off the top of my head that I expect to get more panel time and who might far in the future become main characters (or at least get their own storyline) are Rhea, Akiko, and (together) Kitty & Felix. (And also the Germahn Labs crew, but besides a few cameos we haven't even seen them in canon yet.)

On 10/11/2019 at 9:53 PM, hkmaly said:

It's hard to compare who is closer friend. It's definitely not just about the time spent together. Also, Grace might evaluated who's closer friend differently than Rhoda would.

Granted, it's difficult to read the minds of fictional characters, and there is no canonical statement, but pre-change Diane was openly bitchy, and Grace has always been empathetic and friendly to pretty much everyone. Diane has know Rhoda for a while, but not a long while; a few years. There was some friction in their clique, and Rhoda was the only partially included one. Diane was condescending the few times we've seen them interact; Grace doesn't do that.

It's not clear how much time Rhoda spent with Diane (and Lucy), but conjecture says, apparently not much outside of school; they didn't comment that she spent less time with them when she started tutoring or got a girlfriend. The length of tutoring sessions is also indeterminate, it could vary by an order of magnitude from around twenty minutes to a a couple of hours. Given the investment in travel time, probably more like at least an hour. We also don't know the frequency, but I'm going to assume a minimum of one a week. That's a solid hour or so of close face time in a non-judgemental setting to develop some sort of rapport. There is some evidence in their few casual encounters that they enjoy these sessions and look forward to seeing each other. I would conjecture that is not merely for the sake of the material being studied. Also, the tutoring has been going on for over one school year, a significant fraction of the time Diane has known Rhoda, and probably beyond the need to continuing tutoring, given Grace and Rhoda's abilities (Rhoda is a talented magic user who has trained herself by experimentation, not a shabby feat).

Do I know for sure that Grace is closer to Rhoda than Diane is? No. Do I have reason to believe she is? Yes.