• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
hkmaly

Monday, Oct 14, 2019

6 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

It's true that despite how long the title is "Title Pending", I still think we WILL eventually get true (spoilerly) title. Just like Family Tree (what Ties?). However, EGS works long-term and Chekov's gun from The Fate of Magic is less than two years old, it can easily be something else.

Having Noriko and Van show up is my current most-hoped-for plot twist now, but I can think of other alternatives. Here's one: Maybe Title Pending really does hint at the plot in this way: Remember how the griffins thought Nanase was a princess? Maybe she is. Are the Kitsunes really from the Japan on the Moperville side of the world, or the other side, or from another universe? 

2 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:
2 hours ago, hkmaly said:

It's true that despite how long the title is "Title Pending", I still think we WILL eventually get true (spoilerly) title. Just like Family Tree (what Ties?). However, EGS works long-term and Chekov's gun from The Fate of Magic is less than two years old, it can easily be something else.

Having Noriko and Van show up is my current most-hoped-for plot twist now, but I can think of other alternatives. Here's one: Maybe Title Pending really does hint at the plot in this way: Remember how the griffins thought Nanase was a princess? Maybe she is. Are the Kitsunes really from the Japan on the Moperville side of the world, or the other side, or from another universe? 

Based on Magus, I would assume that if she would be from another universe, her magic would be different. The other side of the world, though ...

... on the other hand, why couldn't she be from Japanese imperial family? From Fujiwara clan? Maybe Japanese Emperors married women just from few related families to keep the magic strong?

23 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Chekov's gun was put over the mantlepiece more than a year ago now, when Dan revealed Van was Tedd's half-sibling. Tedd is in his own home, surrounded by all his friends, and his dad is conveniently out of the house for the weekend, so no fight between his mom and dad (yet). What would be a better time and place for Tedd?

Title Pending could be more of a smokescreen than a joke. It certainly doesn't give a big hint like Family Ties. Maybe Dan is planning on springing a surprise. Some reconciliation between Tedd and his mom sounds fairly upbeat to me.

Frankly, with all the build up, I would be a bit disappointed if Tedd's first meeting with his mother after all this time resulted in a happy reconciliation. If they're going to reconcile at all, I want it to take a lot of work on both sides, and some time. (Also, this is probably my own issues talking, but I actually would prefer it if they never fully reconciled. Much like with Justin and Melissa, sometimes when a relationship ends, it's for the best that it stays ended.)

As for whether the meeting is likely to take place in this story, I say no. Dan's tweets prior to the start of this story suggested it and the party it features were a more-or-less last-minute idea. I would expect Tedd and Noriko's reunion would be an event planned for well in advance, occurring in a story that had been in Dan's long term plans for some time.

3 minutes ago, ChronosCat said:

Frankly, with all the build up, I would be a bit disappointed if Tedd's first meeting with his mother after all this time resulted in a happy reconciliation. If they're going to reconcile at all, I want it to take a lot of work on both sides, and some time. (Also, this is probably my own issues talking, but I actually would prefer it if they never fully reconciled. Much like with Justin and Melissa, sometimes when a relationship ends, it's for the best that it stays ended.)

I said some reconciliation, and between Tedd and Noriko, NOT between Tedd's parents if that's what you mean. And I really do have some hope it will begin in this chapter. The biggest reason I justify this hope is the excuse Dan has given Edward for being out of the way for this party: Finally hooking up with Lavender in canon, throwing some cold water on the notion that Edward is carrying a torch for his ex. Also consider the possibility that know-it-all Edward knows Noriko is coming and has decided to be elsewhere. Perhaps Edward friend Cranium is keeping a secret eye on the party in case things go pear-shaped? Or Greg's in the bush again?

Also, it's unlikely that we've seen the last of Melissa because Noah.

BTW, if you actually follow the link, the "gauges-in-the-center" bit about Elliot's car is a real-life factoid. I test-drove the earliest model of the Toyota Prius, which is what  Elliot (and Ellen) are supposed to drive, and that's where all the gauges are. The reason they're there is to make it easier to produce; otherwise two there would be two different dashboards to make because cars in Japan have the steering wheel on the right.

17 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

I said some reconciliation, and between Tedd and Noriko, NOT between Tedd's parents if that's what you mean.

I missed the "some", but I did mean between Tedd and Noriko. Noriko really hurt Tedd, and while Tedd needs to work through that pain enough to heal, he doesn't need to forgive her, and unless she delivers a heartfelt apology and does everything she can to make it up to Tedd, I don't think he should forgive her. At lest, that's my opinion.

3 minutes ago, ChronosCat said:

unless she delivers a heartfelt apology and does everything she can to make it up to Tedd

And should Noriko wait for another decade or so to start trying? Van had no idea before he had a sibling; now he does. I think Noriko's self-justification up until a couple of weeks ago was "It's better I don't see Tedd because Van, and better Van doesn't know about Tedd." It may take years in our time for this meeting to happen, but it should happen reasonably soon in Moperville time.

1 hour ago, Tom Sewell said:

Also consider the possibility that know-it-all Edward knows Noriko is coming and has decided to be elsewhere.

That doesn't make any sense at all considering how much Edward's tried to keep Tedd from knowing the truth about his mother and even if Tedd were to tell Edward that Pandora already spilled those beans I doubt Edward would want to be out of the picture if he knew Noriko was on her way to surprise Tedd, not being there to support Tedd just because he doesn't want to face his ex-wife is cowardly for someone who's saved the world from complete destruction.

11 minutes ago, Scotty said:

That doesn't make any sense at all considering how much Edward's tried to keep Tedd from knowing the truth about his mother and even if Tedd were to tell Edward that Pandora already spilled those beans I doubt Edward would want to be out of the picture if he knew Noriko was on her way to surprise Tedd, not being there to support Tedd just because he doesn't want to face his ex-wife is cowardly for someone who's saved the world from complete destruction.

I don't think Edward has ever spoken of his ex-wife in 17 years of canon. One plausible reason is that he doesn't want to fly into a rage--like he did when Adrian called him in Death Sentence. So being elsewhere when Noriko shows up to talk to Tedd sounds like a pretty good idea to me. Also, have you ever faced a soon-to-be-ex-wife in court? I can assure you from my own experience that being scared of your ex-wife is nothing to be ashamed of, even if she can't attack you with magic swords.

1 hour ago, Tom Sewell said:

And should Noriko wait for another decade or so to start trying?

If you believe I was suggesting something like that, I don't know how you got that impression. I certainly didn't mean to suggest that.

All I've been trying to say is that reconciliation between Tedd and Noriko should only occur if both parties want it (and not just because it turns out Tedd has magic), and if written realistically (which I hope it will be) will take a lot of work and pain along the way. The early parts of it are particularly likely to be painful, and as such I expect the story their first meeting occurs within to be on the downbeat and/or bittersweet side.

58 minutes ago, ChronosCat said:

The early parts of it are particularly likely to be painful, and as such I expect the story their first meeting occurs within to be on the downbeat and/or bittersweet side.

Reconstructing a relationship between Tedd and his mother is worthy of an arc by itself. I'd like to see it before I die; I'm sixty-nine. 

Given what has happened and what Tedd knows of it, if Noriko were to show up now it would probably be extremely difficult to get Tedd to even consider the possibility that her reappearance isn't just because he has magic.

Her being Van's mother as well would, at least initially, help about as much as a hammer strike to the head helps cure a headache. Whether it would be a help or a hindrance in the long run is a rather complex question...

9 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

I said some reconciliation, and between Tedd and Noriko, NOT between Tedd's parents if that's what you mean. And I really do have some hope it will begin in this chapter. The biggest reason I justify this hope is the excuse Dan has given Edward for being out of the way for this party: Finally hooking up with Lavender in canon, throwing some cold water on the notion that Edward is carrying a torch for his ex. Also consider the possibility that know-it-all Edward knows Noriko is coming and has decided to be elsewhere.

8 hours ago, Scotty said:

Support Tedd? I think if he knew Noriko is coming he would try to PREVENT her reaching Tedd. Noriko is legendary monster hunter, but Edward is not mundane person either, and legally-wise, he might be in the right ... and I don't think Noriko would LIKE to fight him to get to her son.

9 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Perhaps Edward friend Cranium is keeping a secret eye on the party in case things go pear-shaped? Or Greg's in the bush again?

... of course that doesn't mean there isn't someone to keep eye on the party. Just in case.

2 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

Given what has happened and what Tedd knows of it, if Noriko were to show up now it would probably be extremely difficult to get Tedd to even consider the possibility that her reappearance isn't just because he has magic.

Yeah ... and not just Tedd. I wouldn't believe it either.

6 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Support Tedd? I think if he knew Noriko is coming he would try to PREVENT her reaching Tedd. Noriko is legendary monster hunter, but Edward is not mundane person either, and legally-wise, he might be in the right ... and I don't think Noriko would LIKE to fight him to get to her son.

Legally-wise, Tedd is now eighteen, which in the USA and all of its States means that she has no legal authority to compel Tedd to do anything at all regardless of who was Tedd's custodial parent.

7 hours ago, ijuin said:

Legally-wise, Tedd is now eighteen, which in the USA and all of its States means that she has no legal authority to compel Tedd to do anything at all regardless of who was Tedd's custodial parent.

All true, but Edward can refuse to relay messages to Tedd, refuse to give information to Noriko, and refuse to let Noriko in the house.

2 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

So, he is kinda like a Senate majority leader.

Well...

On the job, Edward is almost always putting the best interest of the public first
The one time he put personal (family) interests first, he didn't even try to make it look like something else and had to accept actual consequences

As for how he runs his own house, he remains consistent within what he believes to be the best interests of those in his house, he will listen to others in his house who may not share his views, and he does not change household policy based on the opinions and ambitions of his bosses and neighbors

1 hour ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

On the job, Edward is almost always putting the best interest of the public first
The one time he put personal (family) interests first, he didn't even try to make it look like something else and had to accept actual consequences

As for how he runs his own house, he remains consistent within what he believes to be the best interests of those in his house, he will listen to others in his house who may not share his views, and he does not change household policy based on the opinions and ambitions of his bosses and neighbors

Oh. I see your point. He is actually absolutely nothing like a senate majority leader.

17 hours ago, ijuin said:
On 10/18/2019 at 3:09 AM, hkmaly said:

True, but what if he had restraining order?

(Also, he might be acting out of authority of member of FBI protecting important resource from agent of foreign power, or something like that.)

10 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

All true, but Edward can refuse to relay messages to Tedd, refuse to give information to Noriko, and refuse to let Noriko in the house.

Also this.

2 hours ago, The Old Hack said:
4 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Oh. I see your point. He is actually absolutely nothing like a senate majority leader.

That's both true and funny. Why can I only put one reaction in?