• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Tom Sewell

Friday, October 18, 2019

"I just don't have a filter..."

Picture it, network television in the 1980s

An elderly character with dementia symptoms (that varied by season, by episode, or even within episodes) called Sophia Petrillo (portrayed by Estelle Getty) becomes one of the most popular personalities on The Golden GIrls and related TV shows by simply saying any thought that may enter her head with no filter whatsoever (at least to the limit that a Mouse produced show could get away with that)

So when will Ashley begin telling allegorical anecdotes of her childhood in the weird and fictitious land of California?

51 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

So when will Ashley begin telling allegorical anecdotes of her childhood in the weird and fictitious land of California?

Soon I hope, cus that probably includes mentioning her internet girlfriend.

Yay for bubbly background in panel seven!

While the show of support for Ashley is nice, it seems strange to me to have them all bringing up their interest in sex-change transformations when as far as we've seen it isn't nearly as big an interest for any of them as it is for Ashley & Tedd. Sarah is more into transformation in general, Ellen likes sexy girls but otherwise I've always assumed her focus on FV5 was just because it was her first power, I think this is the first time Justin's interest in teasing straight men has shown up in canon (unless you count his desire to get Elliot's attention around the time of Grace's party), and I don't remember Nanase's interest in transformations ever being mentioned before at all.

13 minutes ago, detrius said:

Ellen is her girlfriend.

While Nanase has plenty of reason to be grateful to Tedd for playing around with mtf transformations, it seems to me Nanase thinks of Ellen as her own person (who has always been female), not as a copy of transformed Elliot. Nor do I think Ellen's powers have anything to do with Nanase's interest in her.

I suppose Ellen's own interest in transformation could have gotten Nanase into it, but I can't recall any indication of that in the comic.

Do you disagree with my assessment, or is there something I missed?

4 minutes ago, ChronosCat said:

Nanase made a fairy doll for Ellen of her cockatoo hair version on the night of Grace's birthday party. Once she actually transformed, she didn't seem to have any problems being male. Her really big embarrassment was being caught picking out that sexy outfit for Ellen.

Speaking of transformations, do you all remember that MV5 is canon? How about a buff Ashley?

41 minutes ago, Scotty said:

I suggest everyone re-read "Playing with Dolls" regarding Nanase's transformation interests.

I definitely need to re-read the comic sometime soon, I keep forgetting about things from the period after I stopped obsessively re-reading the comic (roughly the end of Sister II)...

However, while Playing with Dolls does establish that Nanase has an interest in transformation, that just puts her in the same boat as Sarah. I still don't recall any evidence that either of them have a specific interest in sex-change transformations.

1 hour ago, ChronosCat said:

However, while Playing with Dolls does establish that Nanase has an interest in transformation, that just puts her in the same boat as Sarah. I still don't recall any evidence that either of them have a specific interest in sex-change transformations.

For Nanase, how about seeing Elliot turn into Cheerleadra 2.0?

For Sarah, there's what Tom linked, but I imagine the MV5 storyline covers it well.

1 hour ago, Tom Sewell said:

The next comic suggests to me that had more to do with her relationship with Elliot than her having a strong interest in ftm transformations for their own sake. On the other hand...

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

For Nanase, how about seeing Elliot turn into Cheerleadra 2.0?

For Sarah, there's what Tom linked, but I imagine the MV5 storyline covers it well.

Yeah, Sarah was pretty enthused about the MV5 form, though it's hard to say how much of that is about the transformation and how much of that is about admiring male bodies...

As for Nanase and Cheerleadra, I'm definitely reading that as interest in a female body, not in the transformation itself.

I guess I might as well concede that Sarah's statement isn't entirely out of the blue. However, Nanase's statement still seems like new info to me.

At any rate, my chief complaint isn't that I don't think the characters like sex-change transformations, it's that this in this comic they seem to be implying they have a similar level of interest in it as Ashley and Tedd do, which I do not believe to be the case. Perhaps they are merely showing solidarity, which I suppose is fine so long as Ashley doesn't get too much of a wrong impression. What I'm afraid of, though, is that they all really do have almost the same interests now; I prefer characters to be very distinct from one another, and would find this turn of events disappointing and annoying - not to mention somewhat immersion breaking.

9 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

While Nanase has plenty of reason to be grateful to Tedd for playing around with mtf transformations, it seems to me Nanase thinks of Ellen as her own person (who has always been female), not as a copy of transformed Elliot. Nor do I think Ellen's powers have anything to do with Nanase's interest in her.

I suppose Ellen's own interest in transformation could have gotten Nanase into it, but I can't recall any indication of that in the comic.

I get O.P.'s point, Ellen can kind of be viewed as a female transformation of Elliot, or a record of his transformation, even though she's clearly her own person.

2 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

At any rate, my chief complaint isn't that I don't think the characters like sex-change transformations, it's that this in this comic they seem to be implying they have a similar level of interest in it as Ashley and Tedd do, which I do not believe to be the case. Perhaps they are merely showing solidarity, which I suppose is fine so long as Ashley doesn't get too much of a wrong impression. What I'm afraid of, though, is that they all really do have almost the same interests now; I prefer characters to be very distinct from one another, and would find this turn of events disappointing and annoying - not to mention somewhat immersion breaking.

Well maybe their levels of interest may not be the same as Ashley's or Tedd's but they have enough that they can't deny it so they may as well just say so.

11 minutes ago, Scotty said:

maybe their levels of interest may not be the same as Ashley's or Tedd's but they have enough that they can't deny it so they may as well just say so.

Yes, it was quite a reveal when Elliot finally admitted to himself that he enjoyed The-Unfortunately-Named-Cheerleader-Themed-Super-Heroine and the other female forms
Such a reveal that getting the others to admit something similar might almost be seen as anticlimactic

Grace, I get what you meant, but it sounded like you want to study formal psychology, which is not exactly what would normal people do in your situation ...

(Also, no wonder that she's not so well in it considering her upbringing. Her powers give her more information than average person has about stuff like body language, but she lack the experience in evaluating those.   .... also, maybe she WOULD pick it up if she had her antennae out.)

17 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Does any doubt remain that Ashley's wizardry will emphasize transformations?

Kevin might do what he can to prevent that, but between her own interest and studying with Tedd ...

14 hours ago, Scotty said:
15 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Soon I hope, cus that probably includes mentioning her internet girlfriend.

... actually, she must be just small step from mentioning that she didn't felt so welcomed since talking with her internet girlfriend ...

41 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:
56 minutes ago, Scotty said:

maybe their levels of interest may not be the same as Ashley's or Tedd's but they have enough that they can't deny it so they may as well just say so.

Yes, it was quite a reveal when Elliot finally admitted to himself that he enjoyed The-Unfortunately-Named-Cheerleader-Themed-Super-Heroine and the other female forms
Such a reveal that getting the others to admit something similar might almost be seen as anticlimactic

While Nanase's reaction sounds like something she should specify more, I think the others did imply they mean it little more general and not exactly in same way Ashley does ...

... and yes, Ashley is going to fit extra nicely. At least until Susan and Diane will arrive - not that Susan didn't enjoyed the time she spend as man, but ... They should use the time they have. Quickly, everyone transforms! :) ... or, maybe just Elliot and Justin. Elliot can transform by himself and Justin can ask Ellen.

9 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Grace, I get what you meant, but it sounded like you want to study formal psychology, which is not exactly what would normal people do in your situation ...

You know this gives Grace ideas on what to major in when she goes to college.

10 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Kevin might do what he can to prevent that, but between her own interest and studying with Tedd ...

Kevin's goal is to train Ashley, how he trains and what kinds of spells are involved are unclear, they might be based on Arthur's idea of what wizards working for the Paranormal Division should learn, or maybe Kevin will tailor a curriculum that's a reflection of Ashley's personality.

16 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

... and yes, Ashley is going to fit extra nicely. At least until Susan and Diane will arrive - not that Susan didn't enjoyed the time she spend as man, but ... They should use the time they have. Quickly, everyone transforms!

Susan might not be interesting in being a man again, but she'd probably be up for other kinds of transformations, like the shorter, hippy form she had Tedd make a watch for, heck she could even bust out the "Vladia" hair for a change.

24 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

and Justin can ask Ellen.

I'm sure Ellen would be thrilled.

When I was in college, a flatmate who was studying psychology once told me that most psychology students chose that discipline just to cure their own mental problems.

3 hours ago, detrius said:

When I was in college, a flatmate who was studying psychology once told me that most psychology students chose that discipline just to cure their own mental problems.

And we've yet to see any evidence that Grace has seen that counseling that Ellen demanded Edward get for her.

12 hours ago, Scotty said:

You know this gives Grace ideas on what to major in when she goes to college.

Speculation: The reason Dan hasn't introduced any counselor characters is because he's been planning since back when he thought the comic would get to the main cast's college years quickly that Grace would become the counselor of the group.

18 hours ago, Scotty said:

Well maybe their levels of interest may not be the same as Ashley's or Tedd's but they have enough that they can't deny it so they may as well just say so.

It does seem like Nanase's previously unstated affinity is entirely made up for this particular comic; it came from, if not left field, somewhat over and to the side of the pitcher's right shoulder. (Apologies to those of you to whom baseball analogies are foreign.)

7 hours ago, Scotty said:

And we've yet to see any evidence that Grace has seen that counseling that Ellen demanded Edward get for her.

I dunno, some counselors are just that crappy. Actually, that would still support your point; not that she hasn't been to counseling, just no evidence of it.