• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Tom Sewell

Friday, November 8, 2019

These glasses look sufficiently different from the "Mad Scientist" specs that readers won't get confused, and they look mildly stylish. Also importantly, they are in an androgynous style that will go with all of Tedd's (humanoid) forms.

Hmm, if the type of wood is not too important, then drumsticks would seem to make for decent wand blanks to experiment with.

I think that Diane is going to be moderately impressed by the results.

1 hour ago, Tom Sewell said:

What was so bad on those watches? ... oh, right, no "battery".

8 minutes ago, ijuin said:

Hmm, if the type of wood is not too important, then drumsticks would seem to make for decent wand blanks to experiment with.

Maybe it is important, but not as important as Tedd's budget.

And maybe Tedd actually is trying multiple options now.

Wouldn't the cheapest wand be just pencil? Those ARE from wood, and the lead inside shouldn't interfere too much should it?

3 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

Tedd was already wearing a lab coat three panels before the new glasses, a clear sign of Mad Scientist Mode.

After getting over having new person in her house, she realized she has new person to experiment on :)

If Dan wouldn't confirm Tedd actually IS near-sighted, I would think she finally found way how to record magic ... or wants to record just the results.

Hmmm ... does she sees magic clearer with the glasses too? Maybe squinting to see magic wasn't due to seeing magic ...

6 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

Also, remember who told Tedd he was a wand maker? Could come up in conversation...

Assuming we get back to conversation from the distraction of Diane trying some magic.

1 hour ago, Tom Sewell said:

25 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Wouldn't the cheapest wand be just pencil? Those ARE from wood, and the lead inside shouldn't interfere too much should it?

36 minutes ago, ijuin said:

My first impression was "Drumsticks aren't cheap", serious drumsticks are fairly precisely made for balance and feel. And, if your town does not have a well stocked music store, you will probably have to mail order them or drive a while; probably not a problem in Moperville.

Googling, Amazon's cheapest are 12 pairs for $18, in maple. Not bad. There were other material options, but more costly. I suppose a nylon drumstick would not be "a proper wand".

I checked toy drumsticks; these were not cheaper, were mostly the same, but one entry suggested the rhythm sticks I recall from early years of school. These would probably be available in a well stocked teacher's supply store. Similar price.

My initial guess for a good source was dowel rods. These are generally available in a well stocked hobby shop in three foot lengths and various diameters; guessing meter lengths in metric land. Googling, well, actually, building supply carries them as well. 8x 12" (.375" dia) for $3, cheaper than drumsticks. If you wanted longer, the 36" (.375 dia) were $1.60. This was Lowes (hardware), Amazon had even more options.

The low end of drumsticks might still be a better option, they are already finished and need no further effort.

Standard pencils seem too small and lightweight, also the cheapies in the last decade or so seem to be some kind of odd soft wood or maybe not wood. (The "lead" is not lead, it's clay and graphite.) You can get oversized pencils for kids, but they are at best going to be similar in cost to drumsticks.

Chopsticks, the throwaways you get in restaurants tend to be lightweight; if you go to an Asian market, there are plenty of bamboo chopsticks and they are fairly dense. Not exactly cheap if you buy just a few, probably cheap if you buy in bulk from a restaurant supply. The feel would be significantly different than a drumstick, much more lightweight.

Bamboo rods would be another option. Garden supply had a good selection. I came back full circle to "bamboo drumsticks".

Huh. If you just want it ready to go, and don't want to mess with wood working, drumsticks are not a bad option.

This could lead to the hilarious high jinx of accidentally casting while you are playing the drum.

1 hour ago, ijuin said:

These glasses look sufficiently different from the "Mad Scientist" specs that readers won't get confused, and they look mildly stylish. Also importantly, they are in an androgynous style that will go with all of Tedd's (humanoid) forms.

I recall Tedd making the claim in canon that he did not need the glasses for his vision. Must be something he's discovered since then.

12 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:

(The "lead" is not lead, it's clay and graphite.)

Sure. However, I though it's still called "lead" despite not containing any. (Ok, less "though" and more "found in dictionary".)

13 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Bamboo rods would be another option.

Would they? I mean, it's not exactly wood, is it? Of course, that doesn't automatically disqualify it for being used as a wand, but as long as we assume Tedd wanted wood because it has good properties ...

12 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:

I recall Tedd making the claim in canon that he did not need the glasses for his vision. Must be something he's discovered since then.

That tends to be normal for nearsightedness. I mean, that it gets worse with age.

1 minute ago, hkmaly said:

Sure. However, I though it's still called "lead" despite not containing any. (Ok, less "though" and more "found in dictionary".)

Yes it is, and if you buy free standing centers, not in a pencil, they are called "leads" and if they are thick like in a pencil the device to hold them is called a "lead holder".Back in the day, I've had to use them for drafting. Otherwise, if they are thin and the device is a "mechanical pencil".

<bamboo>

Would they? I mean, it's not exactly wood, is it? Of course, that doesn't automatically disqualify it for being used as a wand, but as long as we assume Tedd wanted wood because it has good properties ...

Bamboo does not come from a tree. (There is an old song that has the phrase "under the bamboo tree, but it's wrong.) It is a self supporting plant that grows tall, so it has the characteristics of wood. Recognizing that there are many types of wood and bamboo both, bamboo is on the stronger side of the scale, but is only available in thin sections. Dowels of good thickness would be glued up composites of bamboo sections. Quality bamboo fishing rods are made this way. Bamboo rods, as used in the garden, are simpler, they are just thin bamboo stalks, and they are hollow.

That tends to be normal for nearsightedness. I mean, that it gets worse with age.

Actually, as you age, your eye will slightly elongate, and your nearsightedness my slightly improve, but you will almost certainly need glasses anyway because the overwhelming change to your eyesight as you age is that your lens gradually hardens and becomes less flexible.  This is why variable focus glasses are a thing for us. Count on needing glasses to either drive or read, at a minimum.

3 hours ago, ijuin said:

Material might still matter in terms of how much energy and how many spells the wand can store, a drumstick would be a step up from the watches, but maybe not on the level of the wand that Pandora gave Tedd.

3 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Hmmm ... does she sees magic clearer with the glasses too? Maybe squinting to see magic wasn't due to seeing magic ...

2 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

I kinda feel this was just dumped in as well, like sure Sarah and Grace back in Squirrel Prophet suggested that Tedd might need glasses because of all the squinting he did, but that was assumed to be a clue to Tedd using their Seer ability to see magic. It would have been nice if there was another moment prior to this that showed Tedd squinting for other reasons and maybe having a "huh, maybe I do need glasses" moment.

1 hour ago, Darth Fluffy said:
2 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Yes it is, and if you buy free standing centers, not in a pencil, they are called "leads" and if they are thick like in a pencil the device to hold them is called a "lead holder".Back in the day, I've had to use them for drafting. Otherwise, if they are thin and the device is a "mechanical pencil".

Aren't lead holders a subtype of mechanical pencil?

34 minutes ago, Scotty said:
4 hours ago, hkmaly said:

3 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

I kinda feel this was just dumped in as well, like sure Sarah and Grace back in Squirrel Prophet suggested that Tedd might need glasses because of all the squinting he did, but that was assumed to be a clue to Tedd using their Seer ability to see magic. It would have been nice if there was another moment prior to this that showed Tedd squinting for other reasons and maybe having a "huh, maybe I do need glasses" moment.

Yes.

My first impression was "Drumsticks aren't cheap", serious drumsticks are fairly precisely made for balance and feel. And, if your town does not have a well stocked music store, you will probably have to mail order them or drive a while; probably not a problem in Moperville.

I feel that a huge opportunity has been missed by not making magic dildos.

This could lead to the hilarious high jinx of accidentally casting while you are playing the drum.

Two drums and a cymbal roll off a cliff.

Bah dumm tish.

59 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:

This crossed my mind as well. Not in terms of opportunity, per se.

I think wood is less than ideal for a dildo. Imagine getting a splinter.

59 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:

Bah dumm tish.

Two drums and a cymbal roll into a bar ...

Edited by Darth Fluffy
typo

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

Aren't lead holders a subtype of mechanical pencil?

What is called a mechanical pencil and what is called a lead holder are as I described them, at least in the US. Technically, either could be considered to be a sub-type of the other, a mechanical pencil holds (thin) leads in a manner not dissimilar to how a lead holder does, and a lead holder is mechanical, and is used as a pencil. In a practical sense, the leads are different diameter and length, and you'd better know which one you need. Mechanical pencils are ubiquitous, lead holders are a specialty item. I can walk into any pharmacy, grocery store, <stuff>mart, or dollar store and find mechanical pencils. I would have to go to an art supply store, engineering store, university book store, or some such to find a lead holder. Well, I'd probably order it online, but you know what I mean.

2 hours ago, Scotty said:

It could be both. He needed to engage squinting because the ability to see how magic was working required greater acuity than walking across the room and chatting.

8 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:

What is called a mechanical pencil and what is called a lead holder are as I described them, at least in the US. Technically, either could be considered to be a sub-type of the other, a mechanical pencil holds (thin) leads in a manner not dissimilar to how a lead holder does, and a lead holder is mechanical, and is used as a pencil. In a practical sense, the leads are different diameter and length, and you'd better know which one you need. Mechanical pencils are ubiquitous, lead holders are a specialty item. I can walk into any pharmacy, grocery store, <stuff>mart, or dollar store and find mechanical pencils. I would have to go to an art supply store, engineering store, university book store, or some such to find a lead holder. Well, I'd probably order it online, but you know what I mean.

I read the wiki article you linked, they gloss over the difference. Their earliest examples are clearly lead holders. the integral ratcheting mechanism is a hallmark of a "mechanical pencil". Leads are manually inserted into a lead holder through the spread jaws; they typically just hold the one lead you are using. Mechanical pencils, if they are loadable, load from the back end through the eraser, which acts as a plug and a lead advance button; they typically hold several spare leads. IIRC, the all-plastic cheapies are not reloadable, you buy a fixed supply of spares sealed in the pencil.

Mechanical pencils, with thin lead, do not need sharpening. Also, I am recalling, back in the day there were thicker but still thin leads, and those and today's are not compatible. Lead holders have special sharpeners for their thicker lead. The design prevents the sharpener blades from contacting the holder.

I got nearsighted in my senior year of high school, stayed nearsighted into my fifties, and now I'm farsighted. So Tedd needing glasses to improve his vision after doing without for less than a year of story time or a mere sixteen or seventeen years in our time srikes me as plausible. Exactly why Dan decided to make the change? Not a clue.

4 hours ago, Scotty said:

The idea that the squinting had anything to do with Tedd's magic-reading ability never occurred to me; I always assumed it was foreshadowing for Tedd getting glasses at some future date (with enough built in vagueness that Dan could drop the idea if he decided he didn't feel like doing that after all). In fact, I'm pretty sure he said either in a commentary or on social media around that time that he was considering giving Tedd prescription glasses at some point. Personally, I liked the idea, and have been hoping Dan would follow through on it ever since.

One thing that does bug me about this reveal however is the timing within this story. Tedd has been without glasses in all her appearances so far "today"; why did she pick now to put them on?

3 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

I'm sure that will be a thing roughly around the same time we start seeing uncensored non-furry nudity in the comic. ;)

43 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:
43 minutes ago, ChronosCat said:

I'm sure that will be a thing roughly around the same time we start seeing uncensored non-furry nudity in the comic. ;)

I agree. But I can dream, can't I? :danshiftyeyes:

That's for Patreon (of course).

10 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Budget doesn't matter - you learn how with the cheapest suitable materials you have on hand or can readily obtain. Likewise for experimenting.

10 hours ago, hkmaly said:

And maybe Tedd actually is trying multiple options now.

While some lumber shops will have wooden dowels, a craft-and-hobby shop is a more likely place.

Or a general household-supply store, if you don't mind a slightly thicker dowel that probably has a plastic handle on one end and a mop-head or broom-bristles on the other. (It occurs to me that possessing a magic wand looks suspicious, but your average peasant hovel needs a broom.)

14 minutes ago, Don Edwards said:

While some lumber shops will have wooden dowels, a craft-and-hobby shop is a more likely place.

Also we have a number of quite excellent X-rated toy shops in Copenhagen for any enterprising wandmaker who might live here. :danshiftyeyes:

8 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

Bah dumm tish.

4 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

The idea that the squinting had anything to do with Tedd's magic-reading ability never occurred to me; I always assumed it was foreshadowing for Tedd getting glasses at some future date (with enough built in vagueness that Dan could drop the idea if he decided he didn't feel like doing that after all). In fact, I'm pretty sure he said either in a commentary or on social media around that time that he was considering giving Tedd prescription glasses at some point. Personally, I liked the idea, and have been hoping Dan would follow through on it ever since.

The thing is, the comic started with Tedd always wearing glasses, but then we have Tedd saying that he only wore them to make himself look less girly, and even stated that he had 20/20 vision, the question is then, had Tedd been tested before and told he had 20/20 vision, or had Tedd just been assuming it?

Now if we are to assume that no retcon has taken place, one could speculate that over the past year, Tedd was exposed to something that might have affected their eyesight, we could probably rule out the TFG because there's been studies done on it and I'd figure it affecting eyesight negatively would be a concerning side effect worth mentioning.

I dunno if the flash when Nanase's hair reverted was bright enough, Tedd was wearing his dad's special glasses at the time and it's possible it has special glare reduction tech among it's other feature. Tedd also shielded his eyes some so it probably didn't cause any real damage.

A good possible candidate though is Tedd's encounter with the whale, the psychic blast Tedd took as part of the whale's method of communication left Tedd with a nasty headache after, it might have been enough to cause some damage to Tedd's eyes.

Beyond that though, I wonder if it could just be a side effect of looking at magic a lot, like if Tedd only started experimenting with magic and watching transformations after Grace showed up and Elliot started having to transform, then that could explain it, Tedd was pretty gung ho about watching transformations for a while there, it could have caused a decent amount of strain.

As for Tedd "Suddenly" needing glasses?

When I was in High School, I was diagnosed as being slightly nearsighted.  Very slightly.  I did not need glasses.

It stayed that way until I was well over forty

Then one day, I could no longer read menus in dark restaurants and the computer screens gave me headaches at work

The change from not needing glasses to needing glasses can be very sudden

As I write this, I am reminded about a story my dad told about when he was working as a meat cutter in his 30s

One day, he was looking at the band saw and there were two blades where there was supposed to be one

His doctor told him that the problem was he had blue eyes

One blew one way and one blew the other

Again, it is not uncommon to get along just fine without glasses until you simply can not

Edited by Pharaoh RutinTutin
Oops

4 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

Also we have a number of quite excellent X-rated toy shops in Copenhagen for any enterprising wandmaker who might live here. :danshiftyeyes:

*starts to sing “A Wizard’s Staff Has a Knob on the End”*