• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Tom Sewell

Friday, November 8, 2019

6 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Actually, the toy watches did NOT worked well - as mentioned, they lack the ability to store magic, which means they don't work outside Moperville hight ambient magic area.

Good point. Although it's still T.B.D. that wooden wands do any better.

I was thinking after I posted that, that the watches affect the wearer. From what we've seen of Edward Verres and his team, wands can be aimed and the magic directed. The source of the magic, wand ambient, or wielder, is not spelled out.

There was at least one Q&A that talked about wands. Did they mention "store"?

3 hours ago, hkmaly said:

(I think Halo from grrrlpower is not only superhero who failed to win contest of best cosplay of said superhero.)

On a related note, Charlie Chaplin once entered a Chaplin lookalike contest and won third prize. :icon_eek:

There is a legend involving Christopher Columbus
and like many Columbus legends I would advise a healthy dose of skepticism even though it makes a good story

It seems that just before Columbus reached shore, several Caribbean natives spotted the ships and told others in their community
But when the others reached the shore, several (especially some of the older people) could not see the ships at all even though they were looking right at them
The large European ships were so unlike anything they had ever seen in the ocean that they could not comprehend what was coming

3 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

This mentions that the size of the catalyst can determine how much energy is stored, but also said that a well crafted wand can be more energy efficient than a big staff.

The drumstick Tedd used probably isn't as great as the wand Pandora gave Tedd, but Pandora said that wand could hold a small arsenal of spells and enough power for anyone to cast them even without ambient energy. The drumstick might be a bit limited in terms of number of spells and amount of energy in comparison, but still be better than the watches.

4 hours ago, The Old Hack said:
7 hours ago, hkmaly said:

(I think Halo from grrrlpower is not only superhero who failed to win contest of best cosplay of said superhero.)

On a related note, Charlie Chaplin once entered a Chaplin lookalike contest and won third prize. :icon_eek:

Right. This might be the oldest example, and possibly only non-fictional.

21 minutes ago, Scotty said:
4 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

This mentions that the size of the catalyst can determine how much energy is stored, but also said that a well crafted wand can be more energy efficient than a big staff.

And here is Whale talking about it ... wait, that's referenced in commentary of that page already ...

24 minutes ago, Scotty said:

The drumstick Tedd used probably isn't as great as the wand Pandora gave Tedd, but Pandora said that wand could hold a small arsenal of spells and enough power for anyone to cast them even without ambient energy. The drumstick might be a bit limited in terms of number of spells and amount of energy in comparison, but still be better than the watches.

Considering the watches only hold single spell with six variants ... although that might've been limit of the imprinting device. Still, the drumstick will probably be closer to the wand than the watches.

37 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

There is a legend involving Christopher Columbus
and like many Columbus legends I would advise a healthy dose of skepticism even though it makes a good story

It seems that just before Columbus reached shore, several Caribbean natives spotted the ships and told others in their community
But when the others reached the shore, several (especially some of the older people) could not see the ships at all even though they were looking right at them
The large European ships were so unlike anything they had ever seen in the ocean that they could not comprehend what was coming

Yeah doesn't seem likely. Also, top links in google when searching for it including this one debunks it.

What WOULD seem likely is that they might underestimate size of those ships until they be really close.

There is the common situation where fading eyesight is "assisted" by memory -- remembering what those few hints you can still see should be associated with. Something totally unfamiliar is missing the many details that your memory fills in for you, leaving just a fuzzy cloud (the give-away that you are starting to do this is when you "notice" details that are usually there but just don't happen to be there this time).

5 hours ago, Haylo said:

There is the common situation where fading eyesight is "assisted" by memory -- remembering what those few hints you can still see should be associated with. Something totally unfamiliar is missing the many details that your memory fills in for you, leaving just a fuzzy cloud (the give-away that you are starting to do this is when you "notice" details that are usually there but just don't happen to be there this time).

Somehow this post is perfect for a poster who uses a pair of glasses as their avatar.

6 hours ago, Haylo said:

Anyone with THIS bad eyesight wouldn't be able to spot say their own canoe returning from fishing AT ALL. There is no hint big enough telling you if there are or aren't any canoe in the ocean - and if there would be one, bigger ship would likely trigger it as well. Also, the fuzzy cloud would still be something.

Memory-assisted eyesight can fill in JUST the details.

On 11/10/2019 at 8:10 PM, hkmaly said:

"canoe in the ocean"

Is that a thing? I was under the impression that canoes weren't nearly stable enough for the wave action of the ocean. Doubtless someone somewhere has tried it, but I'm guessing with limited success. I'm curious if this is a false perception.

20 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

A big problem is when memory or imagination fills in details that aren't actually there

As the saying goes, it's not what you don't know, but what you do know that ain't so.

1 hour ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Is that a thing? I was under the impression that canoes weren't nearly stable enough for the wave action of the ocean. Doubtless someone somewhere has tried it, but I'm guessing with limited success. I'm curious if this is a false perception.

Canoes aren't stable enough for the open ocean away from land, but people have used them for close-to-shore work such as fishing when the wave height is not too bad (i.e. when the surf is not up).

1 hour ago, ijuin said:
2 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Canoes aren't stable enough for the open ocean away from land, but people have used them for close-to-shore work such as fishing when the wave height is not too bad (i.e. when the surf is not up).

And we know for sure that natives Columbus found DID have canoe (or something similar) as Columbus himself mentioned they rowed some of those to his ships. Some big enough for forty people actually.

It's debatable how SAFE those canoes are on open ocean, but it's obvious natives used them within some limits.

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

And we know for sure that natives Columbus found DID have canoe (or something similar) as Columbus himself mentioned they rowed some of those to his ships. Some big enough for forty people actually.

It's debatable how SAFE those canoes are on open ocean, but it's obvious natives used them within some limits.

A small boat with a forty person capacity does not fit my working definition of a canoe, although you're probably right, what they had wasn't a whole lot safer, unless they had outriggers for stabilization, as the Polynesians did.

The waters around the Caribbean islands are more tranquil in normal weather conditions than what we're used to in a more temperate climate, famously so. Hence all the very clear water and snorkeling. I suppose on a good day, a canoe-like vessel makes sense. They get bad storms and hurricanes, though. Even a beached boat can get damaged in that.

31 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:
2 hours ago, hkmaly said:

A small boat with a forty person capacity does not fit my working definition of a canoe

It does fit Columbus's definition, apparently.

I think the main difference between what natives used and boats would be that the natives used "canoe" from single piece of wood. Maybe they were not able to connect multiple pieces of wood in water-tight way.

The waters around the Caribbean islands are more tranquil in normal weather conditions than what we're used to in a more temperate climate, famously so. Hence all the very clear water and snorkeling. I suppose on a good day, a canoe-like vessel makes sense.

Could be the reason.

They get bad storms and hurricanes, though. Even a beached boat can get damaged in that.

Even building miles from coast can get damaged in hurricane. However, such hurricanes don't happen so often (or at least don't strike same area so often).

And in the northwest corner of Washington's Olympic Peninsula, the Makah tribe went whaling in dugout canoes.

The first of Australia's Aborigines got there, and the Polynesians spread across the Pacific arriving at hundreds of isolated islands, in canoes with various features clearly intended to make them more suitable for the open ocean. Among these features: outriggers for stability, upraised prows to cut large waves away from the bow of the canoe, sails for relatively effortless propulsion, and deep - even V-shaped - hulls also for stability particularly in crosswinds.

9 hours ago, hkmaly said:

I think the main difference between what natives used and boats would be that the natives used "canoe" from single piece of wood. Maybe they were not able to connect multiple pieces of wood in water-tight way.

Could be the reason.

Even building miles from coast can get damaged in hurricane. However, such hurricanes don't happen so often (or at least don't strike same area so often).

Once is too many times; places that are prone to them get hit maybe every second or third year, although I swear, the Carolina Outer Banks seems to get hit once or twice a season. I'm inland, in Raleigh Durham area, and we've had one roughly every five or six years.

The only mitigating thing I can think of for the Caribbean is that they are nearer to where the cells spawn, so maybe fewer of them have built up power. The recent on in Puerto Rico says otherwise.

9 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Could be the reason.

I would call that a dugout, though I have heard the term dugout canoe. The handling is different than a light canoe, it has to be, way more mass. Maybe comparable instability.

Actually, re: mass, I vaguely recall something about balsa dugouts. That would be closer. I don't know where or what culture.

I've had an aluminum canoe, it was almost too heavy and un-canoe-like. Rugged, though. Performance wise, I think the plastic ones do better.

1 hour ago, Darth Fluffy said:
10 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Once is too many times; places that are prone to them get hit maybe every second or third year, although I swear, the Carolina Outer Banks seems to get hit once or twice a season. I'm inland, in Raleigh Durham area, and we've had one roughly every five or six years.

The only mitigating thing I can think of for the Caribbean is that they are nearer to where the cells spawn, so maybe fewer of them have built up power. The recent on in Puerto Rico says otherwise.

There are lot of people claiming there used to be less hurricanes before the industrial revolution ...

16 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

There are lot of people claiming there used to be less hurricanes before the industrial revolution ...

Yeah, the weather extremes have been going nuts in recent years.