• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Pharaoh RutinTutin

NP Monday November 11, 2019

Much like a love potion, the "chicken squawk" potion would seem to be the sort of potion designed for tricking other people into drinking rather than intentionally drinking oneself.  Perhaps it's marketed as being for using on oneself to get around legal issues? (Speaking of which, I'm reminded of how disturbing it is in Harry Potter that love potions aren't illegal.)

And if mind-altering potions in general are not banned where the consumer does not consent, then why hasn’t Veratiserum for all accused, accusers, and witnesses replaced court trials, since it makes both concealment and false confessions impossible?

1 hour ago, ijuin said:

And if mind-altering potions in general are not banned where the consumer does not consent, then why hasn’t Veratiserum for all accused, accusers, and witnesses replaced court trials, since it makes both concealment and false confessions impossible?

As long as it is clearly spelled out exactly what information you can demand, it could help, but you still need the rest of the trial. For example, demanding to know every time person A hit person B without mentioning that person B was attacking person A at the time would not result in justice.

10 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

Much like a love potion, the "chicken squawk" potion would seem to be the sort of potion designed for tricking other people into drinking rather than intentionally drinking oneself.  Perhaps it's marketed as being for using on oneself to get around legal issues?

Sounds likely.

10 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

Speaking of which, I'm reminded of how disturbing it is in Harry Potter that love potions aren't illegal.

They ARE banned in Hogwarts at least. Didn't stopped the students. One has to wonder if the reason isn't similar to why alcohol is not banned - because last time they tried it only resulted in lot of people using it illegally.

6 hours ago, Haylo said:
8 hours ago, ijuin said:

As long as it is clearly spelled out exactly what information you can demand, it could help, but you still need the rest of the trial. For example, demanding to know every time person A hit person B without mentioning that person B was attacking person A at the time would not result in justice.

It's not used for same reason polygraph isn't: it's not reliable. While probably more reliable than polygraph, the ones you would want to use it against most will also most likely be protected.

Of course, neither is problem for PC in game: it's quite likely that they are already doing even more illegal stuff (including, but not limited to, killing lot of people) and get away with it anyway.

23 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Of course, neither is problem for PC in game: it's quite likely that they are already doing even more illegal stuff (including, but not limited to, killing lot of people) and get away with it anyway.

They don't get away with it in Skyrim. Even the chickens rat murderers out there. And if you steal a horse, the horse itself will report you for stealing it.

3 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

No one can talk to a horse, of course
That is, of course, unless the horse...

1 hour ago, ijuin said:

. . . Is the famous Mister Ed?

Or Francis, who was technically a mule, not a horse.

8 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:
On 11/13/2019 at 5:43 PM, mlooney said:

Or Francis, who was technically a mule, not a horse.

The nadir of things talking that shouldn't has got to be My Mother the Car.

With current technology, it wouldn't be long before children will consider talking cars totally normal.

10 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

With current technology, it wouldn't be long before children will consider talking cars totally normal.

Fair enough, but it's still an excrementally enhanced show. I saw it, the very first episode aired and it was painful to behold. And I was in the demographic cited as having fond memories of it, Imagine what adults thought of it. What puzzles me is why it lasted as long as it did, most of a season. Better shows have been pulled after just a few airings.

2 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:
19 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Fair enough, but it's still an excrementally enhanced show. I saw it

Well, I didn't, so I can't comment about the specifics. I just read the wikipedia article. Well, skimmed the wikipedia article.

9 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Well, I didn't, so I can't comment about the specifics. I just read the wikipedia article. Well, skimmed the wikipedia article.

I read it, it seemed accurate.

The show did not destroy anyone's career, but Jerry Van Dyke did not get a lead role again for many years.

Avery Schreiber was apparently talented, but some of his roles did not work well for him, did not fit his comedic style. Jerry Van Dyke was at least a positive presence, even if the premise was stupid. Avery Schreiber was too over the top as the villain. In an already too silly show, he was bringing more silly to the table.

On 11/16/2019 at 7:51 AM, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Some people just don't see the humor in rein-car-nation

True, that. So one of the lesser quirks of the show among other more formidable glaring examples was the age of the car. I suppose the logic was she was old, so she should come back as an equally old car. But, and correct me if I'm wrong, oh true believer, when you are reincarnated, you are supposed to be reborn, as an infant, so she should have been a new car. Also, if you buy the show's premise that cars are inhabited by former human's souls, who did she displace? What happens to them?

There are probably worse shows, but I cannot think of one at the moment.

10 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

But, and correct me if I'm wrong, oh true believer, when you are reincarnated, you are supposed to be reborn, as an infant, so she should have been a new car. Also, if you buy the show's premise that cars are inhabited by former human's souls, who did she displace? What happens to them?

Was it really show's premise that ALL cars are inhabited by former human's souls?

And of course, one possible solution is to remember that time doesn't HAVE to be linear. You might reincarnate into past. (You might HAVE to, if there is limited number of souls and we already run out of them ...)

10 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

There are probably worse shows, but I cannot think of one at the moment.

Thaty might be because your brain is repressing such traumatic memory.

7 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

time doesn't HAVE to be linear. You might reincarnate into past.

This could lead to a disturbing "Ground Hog Day" type of existence where you keep living your life over and over again

As children do not have much control over their own lives, your existence up to early adolescence would probably be pretty similar each time around
Alternatively,  a small child who started making wild claims about reincarnation or knowledge of the future would likely find their way into some sort of hospital
Probably wouldn't want to spend too many childhood years like that...

As you enter adulthood with some degree of knowledge from the previous laps of your own rat race, you could find ways to get ahead, or throw yourself into wilder chaos

Edited by Pharaoh RutinTutin
Oops

20 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Was it really show's premise that ALL cars are inhabited by former human's souls?

No, it was not stated, they only focused on the one car. You are saying a cosmic aberration makes more sense?

And of course, one possible solution is to remember that time doesn't HAVE to be linear. You might reincarnate into past. (You might HAVE to, if there is limited number of souls and we already run out of them ...)

As long as we're being hypothetical, sure, why not? No point to keeping things simple ...

That might be because your brain is repressing such traumatic memory.

... and yet, I remember this awful p.o.s.

Oh, sweet, bwa,ha,ha, ha you, too can endure the memory of this awful show! But wait! There's more! I'll see if I can find the brain bleach.

The Porter automobile is a real thing, and the antique car they use in the show is in good shape, but is apparently not a Porter, which was a steam powered automobile.

32 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

This could lead to a disturbing "Ground Hog Day" type of existence where you keep living your life over and over again

As children do not have much control over their own lives, your existence up to early adolescence would probably be pretty similar each time around
Alternatively,  a small child who started making wild claims about reincarnation or knowledge of the future would likely find their way into some sort of hospital
Probably wouldn't want to spend too many childhood years like that...

As you enter adulthood with some degree of knowledge from the previous laps of your own rat race, you could find ways to get ahead, or throw yourself into wilder chaos

You know, this explains a lot of what I always did find strange about the Pharaohs. How many of them did you end up reincarnated as, anyway? :danshiftyeyes:

7 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

You know, this explains a lot of what I always did find strange about the Pharaohs. How many of them did you end up reincarnated as, anyway?

There is a reason why all the ruling males of the final dynasty shared the name Ptolemy and all the females used the name Cleopatra

Why do you think a certain Scandinavian monarchy habitually alternates between just two King names?

It isn't to make the "people" think the ruling house is somehow more stable than any other part of the Government

If you need to manage a country over several lifetimes, forgetting details like the username and passwords you used two centuries ago can be quite inconvenient

9 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

"He's just playing". Child can get away with much weirder stuff than adult.

9 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Assuming, of course, that you REMEMBER your previous lives. Might not be the case. Most people don't remember their previous lives clearly or at all. (Sure, it MIGHT be because they didn't have any ...)

9 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:
9 hours ago, hkmaly said:

No, it was not stated, they only focused on the one car. You are saying a cosmic aberration makes more sense?

Relatively speaking, yes. Maybe she got stuck in the car by mistake while heading somewhere else.

"All" makes least amount of sense. "Just single one" is close second. But if it's some sort of "technically possible, but not happening often" case ...

9 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:
9 hours ago, hkmaly said:

As long as we're being hypothetical, sure, why not? No point to keeping things simple ...

You really think if I would NOT speak hypothetically I would be allowed to admit it? :)

You know the phrase: "I can neither confirm nor deny ..."

3 hours ago, hkmaly said:

"He's just playing". Child can get away with much weirder stuff than adult.

Assuming, of course, that you REMEMBER your previous lives. Might not be the case. Most people don't remember their previous lives clearly or at all. (Sure, it MIGHT be because they didn't have any ...)

Relatively speaking, yes. Maybe she got stuck in the car by mistake while heading somewhere else.

"All" makes least amount of sense. "Just single one" is close second. But if it's some sort of "technically possible, but not happening often" case ...

You really think if I would NOT speak hypothetically I would be allowed to admit it? :)

You know the phrase: "I can neither confirm nor deny ..."

All too well, as a matter of fact ...

15 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Assuming, of course, that you REMEMBER your previous lives.

If there is no memory, knowledge, or other advantage transferred from previous to current life, then reincarnation remains an abstract concept and not a useful ability