• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
hkmaly

Story Monday, Nov 18, 2019 [Party-089]

http://egscomics.com/comic/party-089

Another important difference from Harry Potter is that the "correct" spelling is how TEDD thinks it's spelled, which is even more likely to be wrong than how it's written.

...  I mean, sure, especially "Wingardium Leviosa" might not even be bad latin but no latin at all, but in-universe, there is supposed to be correct spelling. In EGS, if Tedd puts incorrect spelling into the wand, even if he does so deliberately, it will work how he says, not how it's correctly.

Also, yes, Harry Potter can't exactly be labeled "nerdy" ... there is potential, but it's too famous. On the other hand, Nanase is also right: Diane would likely be tempted to see Harry Potter even if less famous, although she might be able to resist the temptation.

... did you notice Tedd said that worst SHOULD be the spell doesn't happen?

Also, I see I was mistaken when I though Ashley don't get to enjoying magic after Diane gets there. Granted, she only get the opportunity because she volunteer as guinea pig, but still.

... now, what color does Ashley have now? White? Blond? Cyan? Radium Green?

Wait. I just realized Ellen has unenchanted (green) hair now. Since start of part 2 actually.

Behind the Scenes Bouncing Around

Well, I think that everybody's mind can run different, but I think that while sketching multiple pages in same day without pauses certainly wouldn't work for Dan, he overdid it with doing the panels out of sequence. The chance for mistake rises a lot when he inks panel with previous panel not sketched yet ...

4 hours ago, hkmaly said:

now, what color does Ashley have now? White? Blond? Cyan? Radium Green?

I'm going to go with blonde until and unless proven otherwise.  Of course we are talking about the person that The Dan says hair color matches what ever looks good in the scene and has no "cannon" hair color.

16 minutes ago, mlooney said:
5 hours ago, hkmaly said:

now, what color does Ashley have now? White? Blond? Cyan? Radium Green?

I'm going to go with blonde until and unless proven otherwise.  Of course we are talking about the person that The Dan says hair color matches what ever looks good in the scene and has no "cannon" hair color.

It sounds most likely ... but maybe it sounds that way just because we are from word which does NOT have any mysterious hair.

... I know I would try cyan just because no one around has it. The web cyan I mean.

37 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

I was thinking she would do something related to invisibility...

She has some kind of invisible touch, yeah
it reaches in and grabs right hold of your heart
she has some kind of invisible touch, yeah
it takes control and slowly tears you apart...

10 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Diane's first attempt at enchantment is to give someone else the same hair colour as herself?

I was thinking she would do something related to invisibility...

I don't think invisibility is even an option on the wand.

16 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Given that Tedd's been pretty cautious about how the watches get used to the point that a person needs to know exactly how to activate them, it makes sense that the wand would be "programmed" to only recognize specific words and that even mispronouncing them would result in nothing rather than any type of malfunction.

16 hours ago, hkmaly said:

The colour would be what Diane would have pictured it to be, given that the last panel has Diane making sure her and Ashley are both in the mirror, I'd reckon she wanted to be able to compare how close she got Ashley's hair colour to her own. But that's how I'm looking at it.

3 minutes ago, Scotty said:
19 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Given that Tedd's been pretty cautious about how the watches get used to the point that a person needs to know exactly how to activate them, it makes sense that the wand would be "programmed" to only recognize specific words and that even mispronouncing them would result in nothing rather than any type of malfunction.

Note the emphasis on "should". He effectively says "the worst that is supposed to happen is that the spell doesn't happen ... unless I made a mistake when preparing the wand".

5 minutes ago, Scotty said:
19 hours ago, hkmaly said:

The colour would be what Diane would have pictured it to be, given that the last panel has Diane making sure her and Ashley are both in the mirror, I'd reckon she wanted to be able to compare how close she got Ashley's hair colour to her own. But that's how I'm looking at it.

Makes sense. She MIGHT be just dragging Ashley to the correct place to see the mirror, but it really looks like she wants to be in the mirror as well.

4 minutes ago, Scotty said:

So if Diane does the undo spell, and conceives it as meaning "Ashley's natural hair color", perhaps that natural color now is Dragon Sister Green.

1 hour ago, Don Edwards said:

(the merfolks' understanding of landfolk customs regarding clothing is less than complete.)

Maybe not so much. Xanth has some weird and unusual rules ...

2 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Then I suppose the answer is "Yes", but it still sounds fishy to me. But I'm not going to sit here and carp about it, I'll go along with your reasoning just for the halibut.

\me takes a note and adds "Trying too hard"

On 11/17/2019 at 11:55 PM, hkmaly said:

Another important difference from Harry Potter is that the "correct" spelling is how TEDD thinks it's spelled, which is even more likely to be wrong than how it's written.

...  I mean, sure, especially "Wingardium Leviosa" might not even be bad latin but no latin at all, but in-universe, there is supposed to be correct spelling. In EGS, if Tedd puts incorrect spelling into the wand, even if he does so deliberately, it will work how he says, not how it's correctly.

The spell needs to be spoken to be cast, not written, so I don't think the spelling matters. Besides, Tedd's spelling is going to be just as accurate as that of the translation site he was using, so if the spelling is wrong it's the website's fault.

On 11/17/2019 at 11:55 PM, hkmaly said:

Well, I think that everybody's mind can run different, but I think that while sketching multiple pages in same day without pauses certainly wouldn't work for Dan, he overdid it with doing the panels out of sequence. The chance for mistake rises a lot when he inks panel with previous panel not sketched yet ...

Considering that he inks digitally, making changes shouldn't be that hard. So long as he doesn't have to completely redraw the entire panel a mistake shouldn't increase the page's drawing time too much. (Mind you, I'm assuming that he at least had the basic layout of the comic worked out before he started inking; if things were so up in the air that panel size could change or the comic could undergo major restructuring then staring in on the inking could indeed lead to a lot of wasted time or at least a sub-optimal comic layout.)

Panel size change may not be an issue either. Cropping the panel smaller should be easy, the loss being the time spent on stuff that is no longer in-panel. Shrinking the whole panel and everything in it might be even simpler, although there's some risk of artifacts to clean up.

Stretching a panel would be a lot like shrinking it. Cropping it larger would take more time to do stuff that's outside the old boundary but inside the new one...

4 hours ago, ChronosCat said:
On 11/18/2019 at 5:55 AM, hkmaly said:

The spell needs to be spoken to be cast, not written, so I don't think the spelling matters. Besides, Tedd's spelling is going to be just as accurate as that of the translation site he was using, so if the spelling is wrong it's the website's fault.

Right. I meant correct pronunciation. Which probably isn't available on that translation site at all.

4 hours ago, ChronosCat said:
On 11/18/2019 at 5:55 AM, hkmaly said:

Considering that he inks digitally, making changes shouldn't be that hard. So long as he doesn't have to completely redraw the entire panel a mistake shouldn't increase the page's drawing time too much. (Mind you, I'm assuming that he at least had the basic layout of the comic worked out before he started inking; if things were so up in the air that panel size could change or the comic could undergo major restructuring then staring in on the inking could indeed lead to a lot of wasted time or at least a sub-optimal comic layout.)

Sure it would be worse when drawing in analog way, but for example the "undo" history will be less useful.

3 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

Panel size change may not be an issue either. Cropping the panel smaller should be easy, the loss being the time spent on stuff that is no longer in-panel. Shrinking the whole panel and everything in it might be even simpler, although there's some risk of artifacts to clean up.

Stretching a panel would be a lot like shrinking it. Cropping it larger would take more time to do stuff that's outside the old boundary but inside the new one...

Panel size change may require moving other panels.

19 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Yeah, that would be pretty easy.

With any decent digital-drawing program - and the free programs paint.net and gimp both qualify, along with others - you don't want to think of your screen as a single sheet of paper. Better to think of it as a collection of magical post-it-notes. You can move them around, stack them on top of each other, just as you can with paper ones. They're magical because you can do things that you can't do with paper ones - change how transparent the background of the note is, change whether things drawn on it are visible or not, pull a note out of the middle of a stack without disturbing those that were on top of it, put one into the middle of the stack just as easily, stretch or shrink it...

55 minutes ago, Don Edwards said:
1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

Yeah, that would be pretty easy.

With any decent digital-drawing program - and the free programs paint.net and gimp both qualify, along with others - you don't want to think of your screen as a single sheet of paper. Better to think of it as a collection of magical post-it-notes. You can move them around, stack them on top of each other, just as you can with paper ones. They're magical because you can do things that you can't do with paper ones - change how transparent the background of the note is, change whether things drawn on it are visible or not, pull a note out of the middle of a stack without disturbing those that were on top of it, put one into the middle of the stack just as easily, stretch or shrink it...

... "I should've made that different layer" ...

4 hours ago, hkmaly said:

... "I should've made that different layer" ...

I'm not nearly that good at it yet, but I think that calls for "Duplicate layer" followed by erasing the background part from one copy and drawing the hidden part of the background part over the foreground in the other copy.