• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Pharaoh RutinTutin

NP Wednesday November 27, 2019

In the few RPGs I've run, I've strenuously tried to avoid doing that - or at least being that blatant about it. (If I want the party to go right and they go left, I'd rather quickly retcon the geography than somehow force them to turn around.)

However, I'm more of a story-teller than a game-master, so I wasn't always successful.

Did Susan bought at least SOME XP potions before Arthur railroaded her back?

55 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

https://egscomics.com/egsnp/parable-039

A Question for Anyone who has ever been the GameMaster of a Role Playing Game...

How many times per game session do you need to do what Arthur did in this comic?

Once. From start to end of it. :)

(Ok, back when I was GameMaster, I didn't do any railroading ... which is why all my game session crashed hard and one of reasons why I stopped with it.)

53 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

How many times per game session do you need to do what Arthur did in this comic?

Very rarely, fortunately. If my players head off in a direction I did not expect, I prefer to let them do so and add further detail in that direction. Since I liked to do a lot of worldbuilding and add details that weren't really necessary just to support the important parts, I was in the happy situation of not being completely lost when the unnecessary added details turned out to be necessary after all.

One of my players gave me a rare compliment. He told me that in most games he had ever played, the world seemed like one of those little towns you saw in Westerns -- if you opened a door at random, you would see that the whole thing was just a front with no actual building behind it. But if he opened a door at random in my game, he had a sense that it would open up to a real home with people inside who would probably give him puzzled looks for just walking inside like that.

2 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

real home with people inside who would probably give him puzzled looks for just walking inside like that.

Brave people, considering average adventurers.

3 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

One of my players gave me a rare compliment. He told me that in most games he had ever played, the world seemed like one of those little towns you saw in Westerns -- if you opened a door at random, you would see that the whole thing was just a front with no actual building behind it. But if he opened a door at random in my game, he had a sense that it would open up to a real home with people inside who would probably give him puzzled looks for just walking inside like that.

Most video game RPGs are the kind where you could just waltz in unannounced, some games event let you rifle through their cupboards and dressers and take items and the owners don't even bat an eye.

Games like Skyrim at least have residents ask you to leave and get hostile if you're still in their house after they'd normally lock up for the night, and call the guards if they catch you stealing, unless of course you put a bucket over their head first.

56 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Most video game RPGs are the kind where you could just waltz in unannounced, some games event let you rifle through their cupboards and dressers and take items and the owners don't even bat an eye.

Like in Knights of the Old Republic. My standard line was, "Scuse me, coming through, I'll just take this stuff, need it to save the Galaxy from the Dark Side, have a good day at least till the Sith bomb the crap out of your planet, kay?"

59 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Games like Skyrim at least have residents ask you to leave and get hostile if you're still in their house after they'd normally lock up for the night, and call the guards if they catch you stealing, unless of course you put a bucket over their head first.

They had an early variant of this in Daggerfall. If you entered an empty house and poked around, nothing happened. But as soon as you picked up anything that didn't belong to you, all the town guards nearby would instantly rush to surround the house yelling, "HALT! HALT! HALT!" Goldang but they were hyper alert.

20 hours ago, Scotty said:

Yeah. Too scared to complain, IMHO.

19 hours ago, The Old Hack said:
20 hours ago, Scotty said:

They had an early variant of this in Daggerfall. If you entered an empty house and poked around, nothing happened. But as soon as you picked up anything that didn't belong to you, all the town guards nearby would instantly rush to surround the house yelling, "HALT! HALT! HALT!" Goldang but they were hyper alert.

How dangerous those town guards were?

9 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

How dangerous those town guards were?

Not too dangerous once you had leveled, I guess. Alternately you could drive a horse and cart backwards away from the guards while shooting at them. They would never catch up with you.

Or you could get beaten down by them and dragged in front of a judge. Then you could just pull a Trump and claim it was everybody else except you. You had a quite decent chance of being allowed to go free afterwards.

9 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

Not too dangerous once you had leveled, I guess. Alternately you could drive a horse and cart backwards away from the guards while shooting at them. They would never catch up with you.

Or you could get beaten down by them and dragged in front of a judge. Then you could just pull a Trump and claim it was everybody else except you. You had a quite decent chance of being allowed to go free afterwards.