• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Pharaoh RutinTutin

NP Monday December 02, 2019

https://egscomics.com/egsnp/parable-041

I've seen this type of effect in games, and I was left with two possibilities

Either the job you were supposed to do will be ignored by EVERYONE else, including the good guys, bad guys, and victims therein, until you actually show up

OR

This type of game crisis is so common that it doesn't matter if you deal with it today, there will be an identical crisis tomorrow

I'm not sure which alternative I find more disturbing

Speaking of Disturbing...

Is Susan supposed to remind me that much of Nanase?

1 hour ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Either the job you were supposed to do will be ignored by EVERYONE else, including the good guys, bad guys, and victims therein, until you actually show up

OR

This type of game crisis is so common that it doesn't matter if you deal with it today, there will be an identical crisis tomorrow

There are games where you can repeat same quest with multiple characters, implying that yes this crisis happens all the time. Even if it means that some guy periodically takes over the kingdom and then you kill him every time.

However ... you assume the time in game words works similarly as in our world. It doesn't. The crisis is real and you just happen to arrive before anyone else capable of solving it, no matter WHEN you arrive or if you look at it, gets leveling for few months and then return to finally solve it.

Her hair apparently got red as result of becoming evil. It wasn't SO visible while she had the hat, but now without it ...

Also, her abs are more Nanase-like ... and breasts ...

Elder Scrolls Online used to base quests available on the player's level, even the main questline had it's segments level gated meaning the questgiver (who is basically the equivalent of Arthur here) would give you a task, and when you completed it would say "I'll contact you after I've figure out our next move" and they you have to level up a few times before you either get an ingame mail or telepathic message calling you back. But then the ESO devs rolled out an update that let players play any quest at any level and now the guy is like "I'll contact you after I've figured out our next move, I've figured out our next move, come back and we'll discuss it" before you've even moved 2 steps from him.

Honestly, I think this is a look that Tedd would have.

3 minutes ago, Scotty said:
2 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Honestly, I think this is a look that Tedd would have.

(Looking at the horns ...) Lord Tedd?

15 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

OR

14 hours ago, hkmaly said:

However ... you assume the time in game words works similarly as in our world. It doesn't. The crisis is real and you just happen to arrive before anyone else capable of solving it, no matter WHEN you arrive or if you look at it, gets leveling for few months and then return to finally solve it.

Exactly. Most events in most video games take place at the speed of plot. How much gameplay time or how many day-night cycles have passed is irrelevant, events happen when all the pieces are in place for them to occur the way they were meant to occur.

Personally, I think of it as a somewhat confusing version of the concept of time being relative. If a crisis starts, you leave and do a bunch of other things, then return to find the crisis still in progress, it doesn't mean everyone was waiting for you, it means as far as the people involved in the crisis are concerned little or no time passed while you were away.

41 minutes ago, ChronosCat said:
14 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Exactly. Most events in most video games take place at the speed of plot. How much gameplay time or how many day-night cycles have passed is irrelevant, events happen when all the pieces are in place for them to occur the way they were meant to occur.

Personally, I think of it as a somewhat confusing version of the concept of time being relative. If a crisis starts, you leave and do a bunch of other things, then return to find the crisis still in progress, it doesn't mean everyone was waiting for you, it means as far as the people involved in the crisis are concerned little or no time passed while you were away.

It's closer to logical clock than just relative time. But yes: in our universe, event can't happen without it's cause preceding it. In game world, multiple causes may need to happen before the events. If one is missing, the event happening anyway would be causality paradox ... something like killing your grandfather before he knew your grandmother (in the biblical way).