• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Pharaoh RutinTutin

Story Wednesday December 11, 2019

https://egscomics.com/comic/party-096

No, Grace is not a squirrel who turned human
How could you possibly interpret her previous comment about being a squirrel like that?

As for how Diane anticipated Tedd's explanation so quickly?
I think there is more than simply trousers of intelligence at work here
Diane knows more about magic and "Spooky Stuff" than you would expect from someone who's first confirmed exposure to the phenomena was just a few weeks ago at the New Year's party

Has Diane been reading Charlotte's blog?  Likely
Has she encountered some other source of esoteric information?  That would be an interesting plot twist...

41 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

https://egscomics.com/comic/party-096

No, Grace is not a squirrel who turned human

She's half-squirrel turned human, so it's half-right.

(Reminds me RoCR: "You're Kel's sister, a half-elf!" - "Wrong. I'm Kel's half-sister, an elf.")

46 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

How could you possibly interpret her previous comment about being a squirrel like that?

Easily.

47 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

As for how Diane anticipated Tedd's explanation so quickly?
I think there is more than simply trousers of intelligence at work here
Diane knows more about magic and "Spooky Stuff" than you would expect from someone who's first confirmed exposure to the phenomena was just a few weeks ago at the New Year's party

Has Diane been reading Charlotte's blog?  Likely

While possible, it wouldn't help her in this case. This is kind of information which was top secret just few weeks ago and actually may still be.

Also, Tedd being one of the smarty-pants totally shouldn't surprise anyone.

I think this proves the glove is still useful Tedd.

Being able to fine tune what a spell does rather than just putting the raw spell on the wand and leaving it entirely up to the caster would prevent embarrassing moments like this.

Of course in a wizard training situation, having the raw spell would be best for teaching a caster control of their imaginations, picturing exactly what they want to happen instead of just... Well it probably would have gone exactly how Nanase pictured if Tedd hadn't set a minimum looseness.

5 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Maybe Diane's seen Sword in the Stone as well?

2 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

I don't think you're allowed to officially reach ten years old without seeing that movie

1 hour ago, The Old Hack said:

I think Dad was eighteen when it came out. Does that mean he has to go to jail? :(

I had just turned 4 when it came out.  I'm not 100% sure I have seen it.  Read the book, of course.

Diane has also seem Grace in her Shade Tail “hero” form. The usual first assumption would be that Grace is a human who changes into squirrel-like forms.

Just now, ijuin said:

Diane has also seem Grace in her Shade Tail “hero” form. The usual first assumption would be that Grace is a human who changes into squirrel-like forms.

That would be a good assumption.  Given Grace's genetic makeup it's also possible to call her a squirrel that has human like forms.  Plus two kinds of aliens that have variable forms.

2 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Maybe?

I don't think you're allowed to officially reach ten years old without seeing that movie

I probably saw it before I was 10, but it didn't make much of an impression on me the first time. The first time I distinctly remember watching it was when I was 12, and it sticks in my head more for the circumstances under which I was watching it than from the movie itself (I was visiting my Grandparents for a week without my parents, the first time I'd been away from my parents for so long, and one of the first things I did after getting there was watch that movie with my aunt and a few other relatives).

While I don't dislike it, it's never been among my favorite Disney movies, and I was actually mildly surprised at first when Dan and others were talking about loving so much it back when it came up in the comic. (Upon further consideration, it shouldn't have been a surprise; pretty much everything that isn't horribly made and some things that are horribly made are someone's favorite.)

12 hours ago, Scotty said:

I think this proves the glove is still useful Tedd.

Being able to fine tune what a spell does rather than just putting the raw spell on the wand and leaving it entirely up to the caster would prevent embarrassing moments like this.

Well, yes ... glove probably makes harder to forget something, although I think Tedd mostly WANTED the spell to be more flexible.

I still think the main advantage of the glove is for clone forms, as without it you basically needs to construct whole spell in your head, and imagine how exactly should the result look is harder that it seems.

Of course in a wizard training situation, having the raw spell would be best for teaching a caster control of their imaginations, picturing exactly what they want to happen instead of just... Well it probably would have gone exactly how Nanase pictured if Tedd hadn't set a minimum looseness.

Probably yes. And not just wizards, people with flexible spells might need some training as well.

8 hours ago, mlooney said:
8 hours ago, ijuin said:

That would be a good assumption.  Given Grace's genetic makeup it's also possible to call her a squirrel that has human like forms.  Plus two kinds of aliens that have variable forms.

I think the half-squirrel would be closest to "main" form Grace has. Of course, we know EXACTLY what she is - Tulougol Seyunolu.

Saying she's squirrel is exactly as wrong as saying she's human.

10 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Maybe?

Maybe in US. Of course, with Moperville being in US that IS relevant.

7 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

While I don't dislike it, it's never been among my favorite Disney movies, and I was actually mildly surprised at first when Dan and others were talking about loving so much it back when it came up in the comic. (Upon further consideration, it shouldn't have been a surprise; pretty much everything that isn't horribly made and some things that are horribly made are someone's favorite.)

It's also movie with lot of transformations, and list of such movies was likely quite short at that time.

I would be able to compose quite a long list of movies I saw and books I read which are not good and likely awful, but besides nostalgia, they had big value in containing topics which other stuff available to me as child lacked.

(EDIT: Assuming I would be able to remember enough to find how it was NAMED of course ...)

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

Probably yes. And not just wizards, people with flexible spells might need some training as well.

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

You basically saved me the trouble of finding the Elliot example. Though there really is no shortage when it comes to Elliot.

On 12/11/2019 at 3:33 AM, Scotty said:

14 hours ago, hkmaly said:

It's also movie with lot of transformations, and list of such movies was likely quite short at that time.

Both The Sword in the Stone (which I've never seen) and Camelot (which I have) are based on T.H. White's The Once And Future KIng. It's been over forty years since I've read it, and I don't remember a squirrel story, but I do remember a lot of passages where the wizard Merlyn turns Wart (the young Arthur) into various animals to teach him lessons.

Diane seems more likely to have read the book than seen the cartoon. BTW, the book does have a griffin.

22 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

I probably saw it before I was 10, but it didn't make much of an impression on me the first time. The first time I distinctly remember watching it was when I was 12, and it sticks in my head more for the circumstances under which I was watching it than from the movie itself (I was visiting my Grandparents for a week without my parents, the first time I'd been away from my parents for so long, and one of the first things I did after getting there was watch that movie with my aunt and a few other relatives).

I feel this way about Spaceballs. It's OK, it's funny, I like it, but it's not really great. Galaxy Quest is a much better movie, and among Mel Brooks's movies, there are better. My kids, who were introduced to it when they were young, think it's hysterical.

1 hour ago, Tom Sewell said:

Both The Sword in the Stone (which I've never seen) and Camelot (which I have) are based on T.H. White's The Once And Future KIng. It's been over forty years since I've read it, and I don't remember a squirrel story, but I do remember a lot of passages where the wizard Merlyn turns Wart (the young Arthur) into various animals to teach him lessons.

Diane seems more likely to have read the book than seen the cartoon. BTW, the book does have a griffin.

'Tis a silly place.

1 hour ago, Darth Fluffy said:

'Tis a silly place.

You have your Arthurs mixed up. It was Graham Chapman who said Camelot was silly, whereas it was Richard Harris in the 1967 Camelot. Don't mix up the English drunk with the Irish drunk. And don't forget that it was Harris who played Dumbledore in the first two Harry Potter movies, possibly because his granddaughter threatened to never speak to him if he didn't.

10 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Why? It's not cinema movie. She could totally see it in TV at home before she started to care about what people think about her.

9 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

I feel this way about Spaceballs. It's OK, it's funny, I like it, but it's not really great. Galaxy Quest is a much better movie, and among Mel Brooks's movies, there are better.

Well obviously Galaxy Quest is better because it's parodying Star Trek and Star Trek is better than Star Wars :)

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

Well obviously Galaxy Quest is better because it's parodying Star Trek and Star Trek is better than Star Wars :)

My friend has a t shirt with a picture of a Dalek, the text says, "I loved R2D2 in Star Trek." :P

9 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

You have your Arthurs mixed up. It was Graham Chapman who said Camelot was silly, whereas it was Richard Harris in the 1967 Camelot. Don't mix up the English drunk with the Irish drunk. And don't forget that it was Harris who played Dumbledore in the first two Harry Potter movies, possibly because his granddaughter threatened to never speak to him if he didn't.

I like this one.

13 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:
9 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

I like this one.

This one was also good.

15 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:

My friend has a t shirt with a picture of a Dalek, the text says, "I loved R2D2 in Star Trek." :P

Hmmm ... now, how to add B5 into the mix?

17 minutes ago, hkmaly said:
29 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:

This one was also good.

I've seen the 2004 Arthur and enjoyed it--though I was disappointed that none of the Sarmartians were women. They had women warriors, and might be the inspiration for the Amazons.

I missed the Merlin miniseries; hope to check it out some day.

3 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:
26 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Hmmm ... now, how to add B5 into the mix?

The 60's Lost in Space one, right? Robbie is a classic, too.

I think HK is referencing Babylon 5, sort of the stepbrother of Deep Space 9. Robbie the robot is from Forbidden Planet, which is sort of Star Trek 1956. Leslie Neilson (!) played the captain of the starship Bellerophon. Like the robot in Lost in Space, Robbie had all the best lines.

5 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

I think HK is referencing Babylon 5, sort of the stepbrother of Deep Space 9. Robbie the robot is from Forbidden Planet, which is sort of Star Trek 1956. Leslie Neilson (!) played the captain of the starship Bellerophon. Like the robot in Lost in Space, Robbie had all the best lines.

I think you're right. This is what I was thinking of. B9.

Robbie has had a long career. He's been an antagonist robot on the same Lost in Space twice, appeared in a Monkees episode, and an Addams Family episode. I'm sure there's quite a few more. B9 was similarly recycled, but I don't recall where.

Forbidden Planet wasn't bad.

5 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:
17 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

I think you're right. This is what I was thinking of. B9.

Robbie has had a long career. He's been an antagonist robot on the same Lost in Space twice, appeared in a Monkees episode, and an Addams Family episode. I'm sure there's quite a few more. B9 was similarly recycled, but I don't recall where.

Forbidden Planet wasn't bad.

Oh. So the reference I found about Bill Mumy playing Lennier in Babylon 5 and also someone in Lost in Space and guest role in Star Trek was NOT what you meant?

(Yes, I was referencing Babylon 5.)