• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
hkmaly

Story Friday, Dec 13, 2019

2 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

:lol: I don't think the verb is add at this point. I'm curious, why did I never get a comment back on a "bag of Cole"?

I must have missed it and/or wasn't feeling like dealing with puns that day.

17 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:
20 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Going out more wouldn't help. I'm not that good at making friends.

Any idea why?

I'm usually blaming my personality :)

But maybe the fact that I rarely drink and don't ENJOY drinking is also a factor.

Or that I'm not much better at reading body language live than on internet.

17 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:
20 hours ago, hkmaly said:

"Don't know him good enough" confirmed.

Well, there's two different Barrack Obamas, from the point of view of the voters. Half of us think he was a very reasonable president, bookended by two incompetents; the right thinks he's the worst thing that ever happened to the USA. I cannot adequately explain their point of view; it seems irrational to me.

For my tastes, he did not live up to initial expectations, albeit, there was a concerted effort by the right to thwart him, and they were largely successful. Still, some of the responsibility is his; the roll-out for his healthcare plan was incredibly dysfunctional, and that was all in his wheel house. Still, I would rate him in at least the top 20% of our past leaders. He inherited a lot of problems, many of which he fixed or at least mitigated, the economy did well, and there were some efforts toward social reform.

A surprising bit about the reaction of the right is that Obama was really not all that liberal, he was pretty much a moderate. Prior to his presidency, he was a "work across the aisle" kind of guy. But, then again, a lot of their own Republican heroes would not pass muster either, if they reflected on their views. (Not much danger of that; reflection and self-awareness it not part of their skill set.)

As a human being, he's fairly admirable. Articulate, erudite, hard working, yet knows how to humanly relate, took care of his family, inclusive of the marginalized, willing to learn and change his stance (a rare trait in a high level politician), took time to interact with people who would never be in a position to return a political favor. My biggest regret about his presidency is that we lost a good legislator prematurely.

Perhaps also noteworthy, if you check before and after photos of US presidents, many of them age horribly while in office. Obama does not seem badly impacted by his tenure.

I might know more about his as president than about him as person.

12 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

Not only did we live just north of the literal beer capital of the world

(Checking map ... hmmm ....)

20 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Also known as Germany, which admittedly might be a mite large for 'capital.' More to the point, beer is serious business to Germans. The town of Bamberg, for example, has eleven breweries, as well as sixty more in the surrounding county. Collectively they produce more than four hundred different kinds of beer.

I do not have the gall to talk about beer to people who live in a country where just one township alone has one third of the number of all the breweries in my entire home country. They might invite the neighbouring towns to join in and then we would really be in trouble. :icon_eek:

8 hours ago, mlooney said:

I must have missed it and/or wasn't feeling like dealing with puns that day.

But, but, it's a direct response to the previous admonition and it's seasonal. Should be worth extra check marks.

6 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

"I'd say it was too early in the day for puns... but that would presuppose that there was ever a right time for them."

-- Doc, "The Whiteboard"

Just remember, the pun is mightier than the sword.

39 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:

Also known as Germany, which admittedly might be a mite large for 'capital.' More to the point, beer is serious business to Germans. The town of Bamberg, for example, has eleven breweries, as well as sixty more in the surrounding county. Collectively they produce more than four hundred different kinds of beer.

I do not have the gall to talk about beer to people who live in a country where just one township alone has one third of the number of all the breweries in my entire home country. They might invite the neighbouring towns to join in and then we would really be in trouble. :icon_eek:

Most of the US breweries that I can think of off the top of my head were founded by Germans. Might be a regional thing, though.

10 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

Does this include single malts? :danshiftyeyes:

I had to do some research to answer this. If I understand right, single malts are always light, so then, yes. There's only a few actual ginger beers worldwide, beer brewed with ginger, and I've sampled a couple, and they were light, blond and cloudy.

Royal Jamaican Ginger Beer

Crabbies Ginger Beer

8 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Most of the US breweries that I can think of off the top of my head were founded by Germans. Might be a regional thing, though.

I understand that you can find some truly excellent craft beers in both Spain and Mexico. I don't know how numerous or popular they are, mind you. I just didn't want their accomplishments in the field of beer to go unrecognised.

50 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:
1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

Ok, if you mean whole country hard to argue with that.

Although to be fair, I wouldn't feel safe to argue otherwise either. Arguing against American bear is easy, but going into details with German beer would require more experience than I have.

11 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Most of the US breweries that I can think of off the top of my head were founded by Germans.

Unfortunately, said Germans are now dead by old age if nothing else, aren't they?

9 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Ok, if you mean whole country hard to argue with that.

Especially all at once.

Arguing against American bear is easy, ...

Point of fact. if you are arguing with your beer, you've had too many.

Unfortunately, said Germans are now dead by old age if nothing else, aren't they?

Lulz; Why yes, as a matter of fact. On the other hand, I have no data on who starts up microbreweries today.

19 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:
33 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Lulz; Why yes, as a matter of fact.

Why? ... because they wouldn't allow it if they would be alive. They are probably turning in their graves considering what happened to the breweries they founded. :)

19 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:
33 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Point of fact. if you are arguing with your beer, you've had too many.

Not how I meant it, but otherwise good point :)

21 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:

I understand that you can find some truly excellent craft beers in both Spain and Mexico. I don't know how numerous or popular they are, mind you. I just didn't want their accomplishments in the field of beer to go unrecognised.

I don't know. Now you have me curious, and I'll have to try some.

Mexican brands are popular in Mexican restaurants, which are ubiquitous here, understandably so, as the traditional role of transient Mexican labor was agricultural work, so even rural communities have a strong Mexican presence. I imagine they buy what they are used to.

Mexican beer

Dos Equis ("XX") is heavily marketed in the US. The ads are fairly clever.

9 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Dos Equis ("XX") is heavily marketed in the US. The ads are fairly clever.

That reminds me of a time when I was on a chat with some friends. This was during one of the polar vortices, I think, and one of my friends who lived in Texas complained about them having deep snow there, and they weren't used to snow.

I replied that 'Texas Snow' sounded like a brand of beer to me and on the spot improvised a slogan for it. "Texas Snow. Burns hot. Ice cold." And another friend of mine, who worked in marketing, told me I ought to be writing ad copy. :icon_eek:

5 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Why? ... because they are probably turning in their graves considering what happened to the breweries they founded. :)

"Why, yes" is an idiom, it is roughly, "Yes, but I am surprised you are asking"; so not actually asking, "Why?"

However ... since you brought it up ...

References to people turning in their graves reminds me of a proposal I saw for the production of electric power by coupling a generator to said rotating corpse. Imagine, you could perhaps run the brewery this way?

5 minutes ago, hkmaly said:
41 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Well, the typo version isn't true either, in the wild. Not generally considered to be safe, although, until the bear mails you, you are undeniably making a better case. If the bear is caged, then yes, you are correct.

I may have to start having conversations with my beer mug and see what kind of reactions I get.

This is not without precedent. "Hey, Norm, what do you say to a little beer?" "Daddy wuvs you"

3 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Well, the typo version isn't true either, in the wild. Not generally considered to be safe, although, until the bear mails you, you are undeniably making a better case.

Speaking of typos. Once the bear mails you, you had best start to exercise some thought about what you are doing. Superintelligent bears which can manage envelopes, paper, writing utensils and stamps are bound to be more dangerous than the common kind. Or even if they are just using a computer and an e-mail system.

2 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:

Speaking of typos. Once the bear mails you, you had best start to exercise some thought about what you are doing. Superintelligent bears which can manage envelopes, paper, writing utensils and stamps are bound to be more dangerous than the common kind. Or even if they are just using a computer and an e-mail system.

Although, 'd rather be mailed by a bear than mauled by a bear.

3 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Why? ... because they are probably turning in their graves considering what happened to the breweries they founded. :)

"Why, yes" is an idiom, it is roughly, "Yes, but I am surprised you are asking"; so not actually asking, "Why?"

However ... since you brought it up ...

References to people turning in their graves reminds me of a proposal I saw for the production of electric power by coupling a generator to said rotating corpse. Imagine, you could perhaps run the brewery this way?

Well, sure, however if this method of producing electricity worked, I don't think we would need to search for some brewery founders: like, America founding fathers would be able to power up not just whole U.S., but also laser big enough to get rockets to orbit, greatly advancing the space program.

Well, the typo version isn't true either, in the wild. Not generally considered to be safe, although, until the bear mails you, you are undeniably making a better case. If the bear is caged, then yes, you are correct.

Actually, I think arguing against American bear while being in Europe sounds safe enough.

And yes, at that distance the arguing would need to be done by mail.

5 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

Ah, when you said that Denmark was "just north" of them, my first thought was Hamburg, which I thought slightly odd because Munich is better known for its beers.

2 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

"Honey, we just got another package of bear poo. Maybe it is time for you to consider apologising to that poor bear?"

The real question is, "Is the return address 'The Woods'", because that would answer a lot.