• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Scotty

The next NP story

Ever get into one of those discussions about superpowers?  "If you could either fly or turn invisible, which would you choose?"  Most of the time, when invisibility is discussed, it doesn't take very long before the idea of sneaking into locker rooms or following women home comes up.  For some men, spying on women for their own gratification is not exactly an abhorrant idea, and most men who would never do so themselves have been in enough discussions with men who would that it's easy for them imagine someone taking it out of the realm of fantasy and actually trying to spy on women in real life.

Add in the cultural idea that having external genitals of the opposite sex in the same locker room will somehow overcome all self-control and cause men to commit rape or sexual assault (eg be seen as an excuse for it) and you have a lot of people who would reject the option of anyone pre-op being allowed to share facilities with those born into their gender.

2 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

Add in the cultural idea that having external genitals of the opposite sex in the same locker room will somehow overcome all self-control and cause men to commit rape or sexual assault (eg be seen as an excuse for it)

I have long considered this a supremely offensive notion in so many ways. That it is a large part of the mindset that makes it possible to blame victims for being sexually assaulted does not precisely further endear it to me.

11 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

Add in the cultural idea that having external genitals of the opposite sex in the same locker room will somehow overcome all self-control and cause men to commit rape or sexual assault (eg be seen as an excuse for it) and you have a lot of people who would reject the option of anyone pre-op being allowed to share facilities with those born into their gender.

8 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

I have long considered this a supremely offensive notion in so many ways. That it is a large part of the mindset that makes it possible to blame victims for being sexually assaulted does not precisely further endear it to me.

Unfortunately, it is close enough to true of a sufficiently large minority of men - rarely that they are compelled (and those few have a duty to recognize this flaw in themselves and avoid, not seek out, such situations), but more often that they think they are entitled to take what they see - to make it a reasonable concern. That minority is well under 1% in civilized societies, but there are far smaller dangers that large numbers of people are seriously upset over.

I suspect that genuinely transgender people are vastly UNDER-represented in that minority, but it seems to me that the assh*les who do are also more likely to be the sort to go to, say, a public gym they've never been to before (and probably will never go to again) and falsely claim to be trans in order to gain access to the women's locker room.

And if I were, say, a high-school principal, I wouldn't want a trans kid who's presenting as their gender to undress in EITHER the boys' or girls' locker room - not to protect the other kids from them, but to protect them from the other kids. (This policy would also remove any temptation for other teenagers - who are more prone to do stupid things than adults are - to falsely claim to be trans in order to get some free peeks.)

Most actual transgendered persons, as opposed to false claimants, would rather forget that they have the "inappropriate" set of genitals. A MTF person is far less interested in having access to nude women than in being one of them--wanting to feel like and be seen as "one of the girls". She would not want to display or use her male parts for unwelcome sexual encounters, and would in fact prefer to pretend not to have them at all.

Apparently North Carolina just passed a law that forces transgendered people to use public restrooms of the gender they were born as, everyone that follows Dan probably saw him retweet this earlier.

Sounds like the lawmakers were only thinking about the person's genitals and not their actual appearance when making this law.

57 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Sounds like the lawmakers were only thinking about the person's genitals and not their actual appearance when making this law.

It is more heinous than that. They know perfectly well that most transgender people are already under tremendous social pressure. To quote Cerberus from the Dumbing of Age patreon:

Nah, they don't want that either. As we see with the Kansas bounty law Matthew linked, the point is to basically make it so dangerous and risky for trans people to use the toilet that trans people decide to stop existing in public for long enough periods of time to need to pee. It's an attempt to essentially make illegal trans participation in general society, by making our existence "controversial" and selling the idea that we are "inherently dangerous" to people's (especially women and children who are their property) well being.

On 3/24/2016 at 2:56 PM, Scotty said:

Apparently North Carolina just passed a law that forces transgendered people to use public restrooms of the gender they were born as, everyone that follows Dan probably saw him retweet this earlier.

On 3/24/2016 at 3:58 PM, The Old Hack said:

It is more heinous than that. They know perfectly well that most transgender people are already under tremendous social pressure. To quote Cerberus from the Dumbing of Age patreon:

Well that's horrible and disgusting....

Prey tell why a person's genitals matter to anyone but the owner of them in a bathroom with lockable stalls?

Aside from some people being generally offended by the mere thought of transgendered people, there is the ongoing narrative that nobody with male genitalia could possibly restrain themselves from lewd conduct in the presence of unclothed hypothetically-potential sex partners.

2 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

If the law is as described here, what about trans people who've had bottom surgery?

My reply is in the Political Discussion thread.

On 03/21/2016 at 2:37 AM, ijuin said:

Testing to prove that a competitor is genetically the same sex that they present as. Basically, some people with clout panicked over the idea that transgendered people would try to compete as their self-identified gender instead of their assigned gender, or that a sufficiently competitive male might try to compete as a female in order to take advantage of the less-muscular competition. Gene tests were adopted in order to catch those who have had genital surgery.

It isn't only thing which is completely legal and normal but classified as illegal performance enhancement in professional sport. Seems that the pressure to cheat is just too big. I mean, you can't say it's just panic if they really catches someone cheating from time to time even on higher levels.

On 03/22/2016 at 8:04 AM, CritterKeeper said:

Ever get into one of those discussions about superpowers?  "If you could either fly or turn invisible, which would you choose?"  Most of the time, when invisibility is discussed, it doesn't take very long before the idea of sneaking into locker rooms or following women home comes up.  For some men, spying on women for their own gratification is not exactly an abhorrant idea, and most men who would never do so themselves have been in enough discussions with men who would that it's easy for them imagine someone taking it out of the realm of fantasy and actually trying to spy on women in real life.

Well ... it's this or directly breaking law. Or do you have any other idea how to use invisibility without breaking law? (Not necessary for crime.) Actually, the best legal usage of invisibility is if you have BOTH superpowers, so you can use invisibility to fly without attracting attention.

(Both flying and invisibility are the kind of powers which gets lot less attractive when you actually think about how could you use them in everyday life.)

Flying would have been really, really handy for me last weekend. Hovering, really. Tree doctoring and gutter cleaning would be a snap. Invisibility... I can't think of a single time it'd be useful in day to day life, except perhaps surprising people as a joke, which is kind of marginal.

Back on the subject of NP stories. Apparently Dan's already started writing for story following Grace's Fallout adventure and stated that Susan would be in it.

Of course he hasn't hinted as to what this one would be about so I can't really guess at anything at the moment. Although, it could be a followup to "Playing with Dolls" in which Susan reads her spellbook and tries going first person mode with her fairy. That'd be cool. :)

Scratch that, I think I just figured out what the next NP storyline is.