• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Pharaoh RutinTutin

Story Wednesday December 18, 2019

https://egscomics.com/comic/party-099

Sarah, that was extremely reckless on your part

You knew that the wand had just produced an unexpected result, and you deliberately attempted to use it while hoping for more unexpected results?

What if the growth spell had not stopped at 2X?  If your mass or volume had increased significantly beyond that point, you would have risked severely damaging or destroying the Verres' house

Grace totally asked incorrectly. Of course she didn't crossed the line to "flirty rudeness". She just crossed the line to seducing.

Is her being tired and hungry something special or just because she spend lot of magic for that over-limit resizing?

1 hour ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Sarah, that was extremely reckless on your part

You knew that the wand had just produced an unexpected result, and you deliberately attempted to use it while hoping for more unexpected results?

... yes, totally reckless, totally expected from Sarah.

1 hour ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

What if the growth spell had not stopped at 2X?  If your mass or volume had increased significantly beyond that point, you would have risked severely damaging or destroying the Verres' house

Remember that the wand will STILL stop at the result she's imagining. And she what, sit down? Kneeled? And probably imagined to be just big enough to reach the ceiling or something, not really Kaiju-sized. (Kaiju sized would be probably even bigger than legendary 22m Susan.)

So I don't think it was particularly dangerous as long as you expect only risk being the limits not working.

... BTW, another click. Despite the result of spell not changing. What does that clicking mean?

3 hours ago, hkmaly said:

... BTW, another click. Despite the result of spell not changing. What does that clicking mean?

This time the click doesn't appear to come from the door knob, unless the door knob just fell off the door, but then it'd make a noticeable :thud: rather than click.

Is there something in Tedd's lab coat?

You know... it's a good thing Sarah didn't mispronounce it as Amplio DeCrisco, or else she would have ended up with a different kind of shortening. ;)

2 hours ago, Scotty said:

You know... it's a good thing Sarah didn't mispronounce it as Amplio DeCrisco, or else she would have ended up with a different kind of shortening. ;)

Trying to lard over the rest of us?

3 hours ago, Scotty said:

1 hour ago, Tom Sewell said:

Trying to lard over the rest of us?

/me takes down both names.   Don't get started...

15 hours ago, hkmaly said:

(Kaiju sized would be probably even bigger than legendary 22m Susan.)

Usually, but not necessarily. It largely depends on if she was going to be heading into a city with skyscrapers, or just hanging out in the suburbs; Kaiju sizes are generally chosen to be big enough to trash buildings and look impressive, but (barring plot requirements or meeting fan expectations) no bigger than necessary (as the smaller the Kaiju the better you can see the details of the buildings it's destroying, and thus the better and more realistic it looks). So a Kaiju that only destroys houses and other buildings no more than a few stories tall will be a lot smaller than one that trashes skyscrapers. (Fun fact: Godzilla's increasing height over the years was in response to the rising height of Tokyo's skyline...)

13 hours ago, Scotty said:

This time the click doesn't appear to come from the door knob

I think it's supposed to ... although the perspective seems weird.

50 minutes ago, ChronosCat said:
17 hours ago, hkmaly said:

(Kaiju sized would be probably even bigger than legendary 22m Susan.)

Usually, but not necessarily. It largely depends on if she was going to be heading into a city with skyscrapers, or just hanging out in the suburbs; Kaiju sizes are generally chosen to be big enough to trash buildings and look impressive, but (barring plot requirements or meeting fan expectations) no bigger than necessary (as the smaller the Kaiju the better you can see the details of the buildings it's destroying, and thus the better and more realistic it looks). So a Kaiju that only destroys houses and other buildings no more than a few stories tall will be a lot smaller than one that trashes skyscrapers. (Fun fact: Godzilla's increasing height over the years was in response to the rising height of Tokyo's skyline...)

Hmmmmm ... interesting trivia. I guess I didn't saw any movie with Kaiju destroying suburbs, though.

And looking at King Kong, it was even worse: official materials present him as 15.2 m height, but the actual shots might showed him as anything between 5.5 m and 21.3 m ...

19 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Perspective wise, the door knob would be behind Tedd's head, so the click should be coming from around that spot, instead the click is down towards the floor which suggests the source of the click is not the door knob this time.

Maybe it is an invisible entity doing that, the question is who though?

I still say it's too early for Pandora to return, also pretty sure Voltaire has no reason to be there anymore either.

Zeus, Helena and Demetrius could still be hanging around, Zeus because of Jerry's vow to Susan and Nanase, Helena and Demetrius might still feel obligated to keep an eye on Elliot.

Another possibility would be that "Smoke" had followed Grace home at some point and is currently getting to see them cast spells while hidden, but then that would imply that "Smoke" can become completely invisible, not just the smoke form.

42 minutes ago, Scotty said:
1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

Perspective wise, the door knob would be behind Tedd's head, so the click should be coming from around that spot, instead the click is down towards the floor which suggests the source of the click is not the door knob this time.

I actually think it will be behind his shoulder.  Still higher than it is. But ... well ... I suspect that it's art error and not suggestion it's something else.

43 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Maybe it is an invisible entity doing that, the question is who though?

I still say it's too early for Pandora to return, also pretty sure Voltaire has no reason to be there anymore either.

Zeus, Helena and Demetrius could still be hanging around, Zeus because of Jerry's vow to Susan and Nanase, Helena and Demetrius might still feel obligated to keep an eye on Elliot.

Fairies are not heart anymore than seen.

44 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Another possibility would be that "Smoke" had followed Grace home at some point and is currently getting to see them cast spells while hidden, but then that would imply that "Smoke" can become completely invisible, not just the smoke form.

Yup.

In addition to that, "click" would be weird sound for anyone to make. Unless it's some sort of robot.

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

Fairies are not heart anymore than seen.

They might still be able to manipulate things while unseen, but then the question becomes why would they? Especially in this setting.

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

In addition to that, "click" would be weird sound for anyone to make. Unless it's some sort of robot.

The idea being that someone invisible bumped into the door knob as they were moving to get a better look at the spell being cast.

The second time around, if it wasn't the door knob, then the person who's invisible used something (that's also invisible) that made a click.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:
2 hours ago, hkmaly said:

The idea being that someone invisible bumped into the door knob as they were moving to get a better look at the spell being cast.

The second time around, if it wasn't the door knob, then the person who's invisible used something (that's also invisible) that made a click.

The door knob won't typically make a "click" noise when bumped into.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

They might still be able to manipulate things while unseen, but then the question becomes why would they? Especially in this setting.

They might deliberately, but not just by bumping into something, so yes, why?

Guess the click could be the sofa leg giving, which can explain why Sarah opted to sit down – to not break the ceiling. Or the "mirror", which is STILL not explained.

Alas, welcome to the [transient] club, Sarah. Not much, but a dang milestone.

19 hours ago, mlooney said:

/me takes down both names. Don't get started...

Fat chance<_<

Just now, hkmaly said:

Tell that to the door knobs I've bumped before, and I'm not talking about full body weight against it either, like a hand hitting it as a person walks by would be enough to make it shift a bit, it can also be the kind of knob you push in to lock and that makes a click, and can be done by accidentally brushing up against it.

Just now, Stature said:

I'm pretty sure Sarah would have tried out being double size before, she was just hoping to be bigger than that this time around.

The original Godzilla was  about 25 times as tall as a human for a very simple reason: The sets and miniatures were 1/25 scale, and the creature was an actor in a suit. Way back Saturday Night Live put on a spoof where an actor in a suit did the kaiju bit but without miniatures.

12 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Typically, no, but it's an old door. There could be significant slack in the parts of the doorknob, allowing some of them to move relative to others, and bang against them.

Of course, that would require that either the knob or the latch be bumped - just bumping the door would be quite unlikely to do the job.

As for the positioning of the "click" - the door in this page is definitely NOT the door-with-mirror that got brought in earlier. That door has a much wider center panel (the mirror). Also the doorknob on that door is to the right; on this page, the last panel shows that portion of the door and there's no knob. So the position of "click" has no relationship to the door shown.

40 minutes ago, Don Edwards said:

Also the doorknob on that door is to the right; on this page, the last panel shows that portion of the door and there's no knob. So the position of "click" has no relationship to the door shown.

Yeah. It's a bit of a clicky wicket.

41 minutes ago, Don Edwards said:

Of course, that would require that either the knob or the latch be bumped - just bumping the door would be quite unlikely to do the job.

Moreover, the first click also came accompanied by movement lines around the doorknob. They hinted at circular movement, not being bumped into.

6 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

Yeah. It's a bit of a clicky wicket.

Moreover, the first click also came accompanied by movement lines around the doorknob. They hinted at circular movement, not being bumped into.

It's a one-sided Möbius door. If you go through, you come right back out, reversed.

18 hours ago, Stature said:

Guess the click could be the sofa leg giving, which can explain why Sarah opted to sit down – to not break the ceiling. Or the "mirror", which is STILL not explained.

What sofa? She sit on FLOOR, not sofa.

17 hours ago, Scotty said:
18 hours ago, Stature said:

I'm pretty sure Sarah would have tried out being double size before, she was just hoping to be bigger than that this time around.

She did and she ended up naked multiple times.

10 hours ago, Don Edwards said:
22 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Typically, no, but it's an old door. There could be significant slack in the parts of the doorknob, allowing some of them to move relative to others, and bang against them.

Exactly.

10 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

As for the positioning of the "click" - the door in this page is definitely NOT the door-with-mirror that got brought in earlier. That door has a much wider center panel (the mirror). Also the doorknob on that door is to the right; on this page, the last panel shows that portion of the door and there's no knob. So the position of "click" has no relationship to the door shown.

The door with mirror is on Tedd's right and the doorknob is CERTAINLY covered by Tedd in all panels. There is the original mirror behind him, which sort-of looks like also being part of door but there are no doors there.

It's visible on fifth panel here.

I'm surprised that nobody mentioned anything about Grace being suddenly hungry and tired. I'm guessing that she burnt up a bunch of calories with all of her transformation/shrinking?

2 hours ago, ijuin said:

I'm surprised that nobody mentioned anything about Grace being suddenly hungry and tired. I'm guessing that she burnt up a bunch of calories with all of her transformation/shrinking?

I did mention it on Discord, thought I did here too but guess not.

I think she's using calories as well, which is likely an indicator that the shrinking is actually using Magic energy instead of Uryuom energy cus she never mentioned ever being hungry from using her abilities before, and the only time we saw her with a "Nanase-sized" appetite seemed more like a one off gag cus Dan never linked it to Grace using her abilities at that time. Meanwhile, we've had not only Nanase just come right out and say she can burn calories to cast spells, but Elliot's also mentioned getting really hungry after healing from the bulldog dragon incident. Of course Nanase's case seems like a general "either/or" kind of thing where she can choose which type of energy she uses, and Elliot's case is more of a spell specifically requiring specific energy, which makes it seem more like a safety measure in case magic energy has been used up. Grace might fall somewhere in between, or, because she hasn't used magic before, doesn't have much magic energy reserves built up yet so ends up using caloric energy instead for abilities that don't use Uryuom Power.

So, I haven't totally dropped my theory that the click involves some sort of magical "locking" spell, but I have a new alternate theory:

What if the click is the result of a device hidden in the doorknob designed to record the spells being used nearby (and possibly spy on things in general)? Maybe Mr. Verres set it up so he could pass on the information to the Paranormal Division, or at least keep tabs on the party (he was the one who told Tedd to use the door after all). Maybe someone set it up years ago and it still works (but who and why?)*. Or maybe a wizard recently decided to try to learn spells from Tedd and his friends (maybe Smoke, since they at least know about Grace's magic, and might be able to sneak into the house in smoke form).

* I don't think it was in this context, but I believe someone on Discord did mention the possibility that Noriko had enchanted the door. Assuming the door's really been in the house all these years, she at least would have the opportunity (but what would her motive be?).

On 12/18/2019 at 9:03 AM, hkmaly said:

Is her being tired and hungry something special or just because she spend lot of magic for that over-limit resizing?

16 hours ago, Scotty said:
19 hours ago, ijuin said:

I did mention it on Discord, thought I did here too but guess not.

I'm what, chopped liver?

16 hours ago, Scotty said:

I think she's using calories as well, which is likely an indicator that the shrinking is actually using Magic energy instead of Uryuom energy cus she never mentioned ever being hungry from using her abilities before, and the only time we saw her with a "Nanase-sized" appetite seemed more like a one off gag cus Dan never linked it to Grace using her abilities at that time. Meanwhile, we've had not only Nanase just come right out and say she can burn calories to cast spells, but Elliot's also mentioned getting really hungry after healing from the bulldog dragon incident. Of course Nanase's case seems like a general "either/or" kind of thing where she can choose which type of energy she uses, and Elliot's case is more of a spell specifically requiring specific energy, which makes it seem more like a safety measure in case magic energy has been used up. Grace might fall somewhere in between, or, because she hasn't used magic before, doesn't have much magic energy reserves built up yet so ends up using caloric energy instead for abilities that don't use Uryuom Power.

She's obviously using Magic for shrinking her clothes, but otherwise ... I think that Magic energy and Uryuom energy are now much more interchangeable, that they worked differently before just because Will of Magic blocked it.

And that she's hungry because she used LOT of magic/energy to get this small.

But your theory that for getting this small she must've used magic instead of Uryuom energy and that she doesn't have enough of it (unlike Uryuom energy, which she has lot because she already trained it a lot) could also explain it.

13 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

What if the click is the result of a device hidden in the doorknob designed to record the spells being used nearby (and possibly spy on things in general)? Maybe Mr. Verres set it up so he could pass on the information to the Paranormal Division, or at least keep tabs on the party (he was the one who told Tedd to use the door after all). Maybe someone set it up years ago and it still works (but who and why?)*. Or maybe a wizard recently decided to try to learn spells from Tedd and his friends (maybe Smoke, since they at least know about Grace's magic, and might be able to sneak into the house in smoke form).

* I don't think it was in this context, but I believe someone on Discord did mention the possibility that Noriko had enchanted the door. Assuming the door's really been in the house all these years, she at least would have the opportunity (but what would her motive be?).

Mr. Verres recording stuff, definitely, although I'm not sure why he would use the door.

Noriko enchanting the door, possible. In same category, maybe it was Mr. Verres enchanting them but it was years ago and he forgot the spell is still there.

But how would SMOKE or any other wizard get to those door?