• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Tom Sewell

Story December 30, 2019

Susan is so disappointed to see that Diane went right ahead and hugged Sarah while Susan herself was too inhibited to do so. Nanase does seem to notice Susan's disappointment though--she knows Susan longer than anyone present other than Sarah.

1 hour ago, ijuin said:

Susan is so disappointed to see that Diane went right ahead and hugged Sarah while Susan herself was too inhibited to do so. Nanase does seem to notice Susan's disappointment though--she knows Susan longer than anyone present other than Sarah.

Susan looks angry or jealous in panel 3, more toward disappointed with herself in panel 4. The need for her to be more spontaneous has been highlighted, and she seems to be making some progress. I doubt if she is going to be discouraged long term, but at the moment, she seems to be dwelling in Diane's shadow.

1 hour ago, ijuin said:

Wait, Sarah knows Susan longer than Nanase? Maybe they spend more time together, but Nanase knew her first.

16 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Susan looks angry or jealous in panel 3, more toward disappointed with herself in panel 4. The need for her to be more spontaneous has been highlighted, and she seems to be making some progress. I doubt if she is going to be discouraged long term, but at the moment, she seems to be dwelling in Diane's shadow.

I don't think she's angry in panel 3. Jealous, sure ... but, like, not sure if she's more jealous that Diane got the hug she wanted or that Diane is so spontaneous.

And in panel 4 ... I would say it's at least partially sadness.

Now, let's move to rest ...

... It's pretty hard to measure someone taller than you. Maybe it would be simpler if Sarah measured herself.

I also like how Diane thinks, but I suspect that Tedd doesn't want to be hugged by Diane (or Susan) ... and Grace would hug him no matter the size so it wouldn't help from scientific standpoint.

And yes. Ellen totally looks like being angry at Diane. I'm glad that Dan explained what he meant with it.

3 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Wait, Sarah knows Susan longer than Nanase? Maybe they spend more time together, but Nanase knew her first.

Yes, she was in elementary school with Susan when Susan stopped being Tiffany.

Just now, hkmaly said:

I also like how Diane thinks, but I suspect that Tedd doesn't want to be hugged by Diane (or Susan) ... and Grace would hug him no matter the size so it wouldn't help from scientific standpoint.

Tedd has been hugged by Susan before though, so I think it's unlikely that Susan wouldn't want to. Diane hugging Tedd would probably make Tedd continue to believe that Diane thinks she's always female.

Just now, hkmaly said:

And yes. Ellen totally looks like being angry at Diane. I'm glad that Dan explained what he meant with it.

Ellen's a troll (the actual funny kind, not the kind that wants to start flamewars on twitter), of course she'd do this.

7 hours ago, mlooney said:
11 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Link?

I mean, I remember this incident but that wasn't elementary school AND I suspect they were not friends at that time yet.

If they would be friends, I would expect Sarah would know about the France - wait. Susan actually brought Sarah the berret from France. That means that they were already friends when Susan met Nanase and Susan just really didn't told anything to Sarah before ...

Ok. Sarah must've been really sooner than Nanase.

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:
8 hours ago, mlooney said:

Link?

I mean, I remember this incident but that wasn't elementary school AND I suspect they were not friends at that time yet.

If they would be friends, I would expect Sarah would know about the France - wait. Susan actually brought Sarah the berret from France. That means that they were already friends when Susan met Nanase and Susan just really didn't told anything to Sarah before ...

Right, that's what I meant.  I was wrong about  the grade level.

3 hours ago, mlooney said:
4 hours ago, hkmaly said:
11 hours ago, mlooney said:

Link?

Right, that's what I meant.  I was wrong about  the grade level.

Also I think you were wrong about the "stopping being Tiffany". I'm almost sure she was going by Susan before already, with different teachers, and this is close to meeting this specific teacher who refused to call her Susan.

I wonder what would happen if (or maybe "when") Diane's adoptive sister Rhea finds out Diane knows who her biological father is. If EGS were a soap opera (or even more of a soap opera), Rhea searching for her birth parents could be good for several seasons...

2 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Remember, Diane discovered the story of her ancestry essentially through an accident

How will Rhea arrange a catastrophe that will publicly reveal a great personal truth about herself?

I wouldn't say it was through an accident, more like tragedy, but I suspect that if Pandora hadn't needed to step in and get forced to reset she would have told Diane and Susan anyway.

24 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Remember, Diane discovered the story of her ancestry essentially through an accident

How will Rhea arrange a catastrophe that will publicly reveal a great personal truth about herself?

I think the question here is more like "How will Dan arrange a catastrophe that will publicly reveal the truth about herself." The obvious answer for that one is for Rhea to witness an incident with Diane involving magic, either her own or her magical friends. Maybe a good way to arrange that is to have Rhea grow curious about Diane's changed behavior. As long as Diane isn't telling Lucy what's going on, Lucy's likely to be curious too, and maybe the two could get together for some detective work. One or both could shadow Diane and find Diane visiting Mr. Raven at home, or maybe even to the rendezvous with the griffins coming up in another couple of weeks, Moperville time. Hey, it's a change of pace from "wandering monster shows up."

On the other hand, Diane doesn't want to lose her relationships with Lucy or Rhea, and, after a suitable period of arguing with herself, decides she must tell one or both. 

Edited by Tom Sewell
added alternative thought

Tom, I think the sentence "How will Rhea arrange a catastrophe that will publicly reveal a great personal truth about herself?" is looking for something that will tell Rhea something about Rhea - not something about Diane.

Spying on Diane seems an unlikely route to such a discovery.

12 hours ago, Scotty said:

I think it's safe to say that Susan had known Sarah for at least a couple years before the France trip.

I don't. The trip to France was summer after Freshman year ... which is the first year of first school Sarah was without Elliot.

I would assume that Sarah and Susan became friends during that Freshman year.

7 hours ago, Scotty said:
7 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

I wouldn't say it was through an accident, more like tragedy, but I suspect that if Pandora hadn't needed to step in and get forced to reset she would have told Diane and Susan anyway.

She would tell Adrian and both would presumably visit them when Adrian would recover from that information.

45 minutes ago, Don Edwards said:

Tom, I think the sentence "How will Rhea arrange a catastrophe that will publicly reveal a great personal truth about herself?" is looking for something that will tell Rhea something about Rhea - not something about Diane.

Spying on Diane seems an unlikely route to such a discovery.

I would also think this.

2 hours ago, hkmaly said:

I don't. The trip to France was summer after Freshman year ... which is the first year of first school Sarah was without Elliot.

Except Sarah stated that she was in some of the same classes as Susan in Junior High, and we'd already mentioned before  that was how she knew Susan's first name was Tiffany, so that was before freshman year.

5 hours ago, Scotty said:
7 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Except Sarah stated that she was in some of the same classes as Susan in Junior High, and we'd already mentioned before  that was how she knew Susan's first name was Tiffany, so that was before freshman year.

Wait, junior high is different school than high school? ... ok, that explains why Susan looks younger in that flashback than in France story.

Weird. The wikipedia says that you can't ever be Freshman if you were in junior high school.

Just now, hkmaly said:

Wait, junior high is different school than high school? ... ok, that explains why Susan looks younger in that flashback than in France story.

Weird. The wikipedia says that you can't ever be Freshman if you were in junior high school.

I guess it depends on which grades junior high covers, it varies from 5–6, 5–8, 6–8, 7–8 or 7–9, and grade 9 is usually considered freshman year, if junior high that the EGS gang spent time in covered the 7-9 then yeah there wouldn't be a freshman year, but if we're basing this on Dan's experience going to school, Naperville has a few junior high schools by the looks of it in the 5-8 and 6-8 range, so high school grade 9 would still be considered freshman year, at least by Dan's experience.

7 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Yes, depending on the number of students involved - mostly; there's also a significant amount of inertia, as school buildings don't magically appear and disappear. That inertia also causes some variability in arrangements, as a building that was big enough for N grades is now only big enough for N-1 grades with more students per grade.

What's fairly reliable: 3rd through 5 grades are in elementary school, 7th and 8th are in either middle school or junior high, and 10th through 12th are in senior high.

Lower-population school districts tend to combine junior and senior high in a single facility, or even to combine all schools into a single facility.

In general, areas of declining population tend toward combining school facilities, while areas of increasing population tend toward separating them. Which makes sense: if you have a good school building for a thousand students and you now need to accommodate expected growth to two thousand, it's cheaper to build a new school for one thousand and cut the existing school in two than to build a new school for two thousand and then have a vacant school to dispose of. The preferred direction of the cut - whether you divide each grade into two parts, or leave each grade the same and move the entirety of some of them to the new school - would depend on circumstances. Flip side, if your student body is declining and you have to replace an obsolete building, an addition to a non-obsolete building means you can make better use of that building and share some facilities and staff, reducing the amount of new construction needed - saving both capital and operating costs as compared to a new separate school.

4 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

as school buildings don't magically appear and disappear

I think I would be able to provide several counterexamples, but yes it's rare.

4 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

What's fairly reliable: 3rd through 5 grades are in elementary school, 7th and 8th are in either middle school or junior high, and 10th through 12th are in senior high.

Lower-population school districts tend to combine junior and senior high in a single facility, or even to combine all schools into a single facility.

In general, areas of declining population tend toward combining school facilities, while areas of increasing population tend toward separating them. Which makes sense: if you have a good school building for a thousand students and you now need to accommodate expected growth to two thousand, it's cheaper to build a new school for one thousand and cut the existing school in two than to build a new school for two thousand and then have a vacant school to dispose of. The preferred direction of the cut - whether you divide each grade into two parts, or leave each grade the same and move the entirety of some of them to the new school - would depend on circumstances. Flip side, if your student body is declining and you have to replace an obsolete building, an addition to a non-obsolete building means you can make better use of that building and share some facilities and staff, reducing the amount of new construction needed - saving both capital and operating costs as compared to a new separate school.

So it's even less consistent than the wikipedia says. Well, it does make sense to adapt to population, especially with generally bigger distances in US ... like, you didn't mentioned it but it may be useful to add new junior high with bigger area coverage than the elementary school, wouldn't it?

In my home town, the elementary schools, that had served neighborhoods, were specialized into two grade schools in the 1990s
One was for Kindergarten, First, and the other early education programs
One was for Second and Third
And the last one was Fourth and Fifth

The Middle School (which had been the High School until the 1960s) was Six, Seventh, and Eighth

And the High School was the typical four year institute

The School Board really wanted to combine all the Elementary Schools into a single new building, but could not get the funding