• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Tom Sewell

Story December 30, 2019

6 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

school buildings don't magically appear and disappear.

One exception during WW2. Due to a British bomber going astray while attempting to bombard the Gestapo headquarters in Copenhagen, it hit the famous old French school instead. The school disappeared with a bang in a puff of smoke.

That would probably be a non-magical disappearance. Unguided bombs are notoriously inaccurate--the typical Circular Error Probability radius (i.e. the radius within which 50% of bombs are expected to hit) was slightly upwards of half a kilometer during WWII, and that was considered such an improvement over earlier aerial bombing that Allied bombers had a self-destruct device implanted into their bombsights in order to prevent the Nazis from copying them.

19 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Wait, junior high is different school than high school? ... ok, that explains why Susan looks younger in that flashback than in France story.

Weird. The wikipedia says that you can't ever be Freshman if you were in junior high school.

Yes, where I grew up, the system had Junior High, grades 7 though 9. In 10th grade, we started High School as sophomores.

Everywhere I've lived as an adult, Middle School is used, grades 6 through 8.

I don't know that the names match up with the age ranges, but in my experience, they have.

On 1/1/2020 at 2:20 PM, Don Edwards said:

What's fairly reliable: 3rd through 5 grades are in elementary school, 7th and 8th are in either middle school or junior high, and 10th through 12th are in senior high.

"Fairly reliable" perhaps, but not always the case. In my school district when I was in school, elementary was 1-4 (Kindergarten was in a separate building for me, but was added to Elementary when the school was renovated after I left), middle school was 5-8, and high school 9-12.

Thanks to declining populations, that renovated elementary school was eventually abandoned as a school (it got turned into a gym); I'm not sure what the current set up is, but I believe they currently only have two buildings for all of the grades.

10 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

Thanks to declining populations, that renovated elementary school was eventually abandoned as a school (it got turned into a gym); I'm not sure what the current set up is, but I believe they currently only have two buildings for all of the grades.

The schools my granddaughter attended recently (in the last year or two) did that.

The schools my lady attended went further, but we don't know when: they now have ONE building for all the grades including preschool (which pushes total enrollment up to 99).

I attended a combined junior-senior high school. The main building has since been torn down and a complex of new buildings replace it, including separate buildings for junior and senior high school. Enrollment was declining when I graduated but is now increasing - and is basically back up to what it was back then.

If school districts build to meet their peak anticipated enrollment, then any year that they do not meet that number they are left with unused / underused facilities that they must continue to maintain, heat, and secure even if they have become little more than a storage shed

If school districts do not build facilities to meet their peak enrollment, or significantly underestimate what their peak enrollment could be, then they wind up overcrowded with more than a few students condemned to long bus rides across different school districts

It is as if humans do not take the plight of local bureaucracies into account when engaged in behavior that might result in new humans

9 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

If school districts build to meet their peak anticipated enrollment, then any year that they do not meet that number they are left with unused / underused facilities that they must continue to maintain, heat, and secure even if they have become little more than a storage shed

If school districts do not build facilities to meet their peak enrollment, or significantly underestimate what their peak enrollment could be, then they wind up overcrowded with more than a few students condemned to long bus rides across different school districts

It's fascinating how often are schools surprised how many people registers for another year. They must be appearing out of thin air or maybe grow during last month instead of like living there for five years already.

:)

9 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

It is as if humans do not take the plight of local bureaucracies into account when engaged in behavior that might result in new humans

Anyone who just looks at how social security and retirement plans works knows how irresponsible is for any woman to NOT be pregnant for any amount of time. At least in Europe, we totally need more new humans to finance current humans pensions.

(Note: I don't want to single out women, but biological reality is that they are the bottleneck.)