• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
hkmaly

NP Friday, Jan 10, 2020

Talking is a free action, so the PCs and significant NPCs can (and often do) monologue without the other characters interrupting or delaying other game play

OR

If the hero and the villain are in the same room, and the villain has not yet completed the evil deed, it would be rude for the hero to interrupt
And if the villain has not yet completed the evil deed, is the hero allowed to act?  Breaking up the gang when the the crime is still in the "conspiracy" phase has nowhere near the visual drama as when the bad guys are attacking the innocents with glowing weapons

11 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

And if the villain has not yet completed the evil deed, is the hero allowed to act?  Breaking up the gang when the the crime is still in the "conspiracy" phase has nowhere near the visual drama as when the bad guys are attacking the innocents with glowing weapons

Considering that if the villain has already completed the evil deed it might be too late, definitely. LOT of villain plans are so bad you can't afford to wait after they do it. Typical examples: summoning demons, spreading diseases, detonating nuclear weapons.

(Also, where would the innocent people get those glowing weapons? They might not be as innocent as they seem. Reminds me the time when I saw a girl with binocular ... :))

21 hours ago, hkmaly said:
On 1/10/2020 at 7:36 AM, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Considering that if the villain has already completed the evil deed it might be too late, definitely.

It depends on what one means by "allowed". There are times where it would be morally justified for the heroes to act, but the writers would prefer the bad thing to happen, so the heroes can't do anything to stop it. (A certain scene in Final Fantasy VII comes to mind...)

4 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

(A certain scene in Final Fantasy VII comes to mind...)

Is that a scene where one of the heroes, who already died several dozens times and was always ok after using healing spell, is suddenly injured and dies in cutscene and for some reason you can't bring her back?

13 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Is that a scene where one of the heroes, who already died several dozens times and was always ok after using healing spell, is suddenly injured and dies in cutscene and for some reason you can't bring her back?

Yes.

(Supposedly all the "deaths" in battle in that game are actually just the characters being knocked out, and Phoenix Downs don't actually bring people back from the dead; if true then being unable to revive her is not a plot hole. However, none of that was actually explained in the game, so it's still bad writing.)

8 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

Supposedly all the "deaths" in battle in that game are actually just the characters being knocked out, and Phoenix Downs don't actually bring people back from the dead; if true then being unable to revive her is not a plot hole.

In real life, people knocked out with punch have non-zero probability of dying. Generally, there is no completely safe way to make someone unconscious, and that include anesthesia.

Not sure about final fantasy, but considering the kind of attacks available in other games, I find VERY unlikely it would JUST knock out someone.

On the other hand, it's not like it's only game like this: it's widely known that pokemon directly hit with thermonuclear bomb would faint and will be ok if you use max revive on it. Meanwhile, human hit with thermonuclear bomb would leave only shadow on wall. It's one of reasons why I don't believe pokemons are from normal (baryon) matter.

(Also,  the Aletap Rumors of Final Fantasy XII says that the Phoenix Down works by being offered to appeal to the mystical Phoenix itself to allow a lost soul to return ... that totally sounds like it should bring people back from the dead.)

6 hours ago, hkmaly said:

In real life, people knocked out with punch have non-zero probability of dying. Generally, there is no completely safe way to make someone unconscious, and that include anesthesia.

Generally, any unconsciousness that is not sleep-like stems from a malfunction of or damage to the nervous system in some manner. Fortunately, for practical combat purposes, a KO'd person does not need to be insensate--they only need to be incapable of fighting or fleeing.

2 minutes ago, ijuin said:
6 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Generally, any unconsciousness that is not sleep-like stems from a malfunction of or damage to the nervous system in some manner. Fortunately, for practical combat purposes, a KO'd person does not need to be insensate--they only need to be incapable of fighting or fleeing.

Considering 500 boxers died in the ring or as a result of boxing since 1884 and nearly 90-percent of boxers suffer a brain injury of some extent during their career I think that box can't be declared safe ...

9 hours ago, hkmaly said:

I think that box can't be declared safe ...

Who would have thought a sport played with the intention beating your opponent into submission or incoherence might have negative long term health consequences?

8 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:
18 hours ago, hkmaly said:

I think that box can't be declared safe ...

Who would have thought a sport played with the intention beating your opponent into submission or incoherence might have negative long term health consequences?

Almost everyone.

The fact it doesn't occurred to the boxers themselves can be easily explained by mentioned brain damage.

... oh right that was sarcasm.