• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Tom Sewell

Story January 20, 2020

Seer senses allowing to distinguish between spell being resisted and spell not being cast at all actually makes lot of sense.

Sooo, the doorknob really does consume magic energy. Now, why? Is it JUST consuming it or is it using it up for something? Also, is it just consuming it and the wand really was used up and just didn't recharged as expected, or is it draining it?

Also, why the shrinking? How much energy used that shrinking?

... was Grace drained or is she just not used to shrinking so much?

4 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

Literally the power supply.

Yeah, where are the times when he was afraid he has no power? :)

To be honest, I never thought of the wand being out of power.  And as for what caused that, I'm sorta leaning towards the door knob, but am keeping an open mind as to other reasons. 

16 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Tedd has left the wand on the charger too often
Now the battery is damaged and it can no longer hold much of a charge

Modern batteries, in theory,  don't have that as an issue.  Not saying that wands are modern batteries, just saying that batteries don't have that problem most of the time.

8 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Sooo, the doorknob really does consume magic energy. Now, why? Is it JUST consuming it or is it using it up for something? Also, is it just consuming it and the wand really was used up and just didn't recharged as expected, or is it draining it?

The doorknob that clicked so long ago without anyone in the basement noticing? (Especially Tedd?)

If there is anything to that theory, I think it would be more likely the door itself consuming energy. It's bigger than a doorknob or a drumstick, after all. As to why, maybe building up power to open some sort of magical gateway to another dimension. Or to the PTTAOLUTASF. Or to the miraculously clean gas station restroom down the street from Salty Comics. Or Lavender's place.

I guess it's too much to ask for Belldandy to come through that mirror...

So yeah, definitely leaning toward the "the doorknob is draining energy" hypothesis now. Perhaps someone wants to gather lots of magical energy to cast a spell, and figured that someone like Mr. Verres would be likely to have a lot of magic used at his place? (Of course that requires the person know about Mr. Verres job.)

I also wonder how long that door has been in the basment, and whether it's been draining energy the whole time. Given that Tedd does most of her magical experiments down there, and she sees this as unusual, it seems unlikely this has been going on long, but it would be an interesting twist if Tedd has been unknowingly working under a handicap.

...On an unrelated note, I'm a bit confused by Justin's reaction here. I have a hard time reading it as anything but disappointment, but why would he be disappointed?

2 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

As to why, maybe building up power to open some sort of magical gateway to another dimension.

Wild speculation: Maybe Nioi's dimension-gate spell uses a lot of energy, and so the last time she was in the main EGS dimension she left a device to gather energy for when she or Kaoli returned. And maybe the reason Kaoli is late is because the device wasn't working properly until now...

5 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

I also wonder how long that door has been in the basment, and whether it's been draining energy the whole time. Given that Tedd does most of her magical experiments down there, and she sees this as unusual, it seems unlikely this has been going on long, but it would be an interesting twist if Tedd has been unknowingly working under a handicap.

Note that the door were in different part of basement and quite likely out of range of most of Tedd's experiments.

5 hours ago, ChronosCat said:
9 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

As to why, maybe building up power to open some sort of magical gateway to another dimension.

Wild speculation: Maybe Nioi's dimension-gate spell uses a lot of energy, and so the last time she was in the main EGS dimension she left a device to gather energy for when she or Kaoli returned. And maybe the reason Kaoli is late is because the device wasn't working properly until now...

Wasn't working properly WHY? Inside Moperville's high magic area, gathering energy should be simple. Also, I think the whale would note about it if it was working.

I consider more likely it didn't worked at all before the magic change. It's not like they did anything to it which could explain why it would suddenly start working.

... which is a pity, because if they did ... there is definitely one point in Moperville which would drain magic a lot - but Pandora clogged it.

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

I consider more likely it didn't worked at all before the magic change. It's not like they did anything to it which could explain why it would suddenly start working.

The problem with that theory is that the last magic change was hundreds of years ago, and doorknobs like the one in question didn't appear before the late 1800s. Of course, Dan may not have done any research into the history of doorknobs

31 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:
1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

The problem with that theory is that the last magic change was hundreds of years ago, and doorknobs like the one in question didn't appear before the late 1800s. Of course, Dan may not have done any research into the history of doorknobs

Yeah and that mirror is hundred year old tops, but Dan isn't really that good in research ... and as I mentioned, just because it's doorknob of quite modern door now doesn't mean it wasn't something else before.

Note that the reasoning why it didn't worked at all is based on assumption that gathering energy is it's primary function, that it's supposed to drain energy every time it's not full. If it's sideefect, then it would be possible it was active and "observing" and just now started draining energy because ... well, that depends on what the primary function is, but basically because it noticed some reason to change status.

17 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Dan may not have done any research into the history of doorknobs

WHAT?

Are you implying that there are people who do not spend every waking moment relentlessly obsessing over the the marriage of strike plate and latch?

Oh what a sad place this world has become
If only I could close the door and secure it in such a way that no one outside could bother me