• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Tom Sewell

Story Wednesday, January 22, 2020

The wand was made as safe as possible, but nothing can be completely safe. Therefore need for rules.

Also, especially Nanase and especially in situation like this would really be as assertive as possible.

It was still funny to read it on twitter in advance.

... now, the disadvantage is we got page where basically nothing happens. But hopefully we get some magic next page. I wonder if something unexpected happens ... like, Sarah NOT becoming as small as Ashley despite Elliot trying ... or becoming even smaller.

2 hours ago, hkmaly said:

The wand was made as safe as possible, but nothing can be completely safe. Therefore need for rules.

It's not that it wasn't safe, it's that Elliot appeared startled and annoyed by the sudden attempt to shrink her (and interrupting the conversation to), Elliot was letting it slide after Sarah apologized because that's how Elliot is, can't guarantee that everyone else at the party will react the same way though.

Making this a rule gives everyone an opportunity for a sort of revenge that's agreed upon by everyone so if someone were to do something like that again, the victim can return the favor and there'd be no hard feelings.

Besides Sarah's actions showed that it's still very possible to enchant someone against their wishes. I mean, yeah Elliot wanted to be shrunk, but the surprise attempt could have been done to someone else and the idea was for the target to be ready for it so yeah, this applies.

It seems to me that some form of control over the use of the wand is, in fact, needed.  Unless Tedd has a set of watches that she can hand out that increase the wearer's resistance to magic.  Given that increasing peoples resistance to magic is a major goal of Tedd, I'm surprised she hasn't already made something like that, assuming it can be done as a watch/wand.

13 hours ago, Scotty said:

Besides Sarah's actions showed that it's still very possible to enchant someone against their wishes.

That's what I was talking about.

10 hours ago, mlooney said:

It seems to me that some form of control over the use of the wand is, in fact, needed.

Especially considering Tedd only made one so they needs to take turns instead of everyone transforming each other as fast as possible ... which might be fun but Tedd wouldn't be able to make research.

10 hours ago, mlooney said:

Unless Tedd has a set of watches that she can hand out that increase the wearer's resistance to magic.  Given that increasing peoples resistance to magic is a major goal of Tedd, I'm surprised she hasn't already made something like that, assuming it can be done as a watch/wand.

I'm not. She has very little to go on and very limited resources. Basically, it's a long-term goal, so it's understandable she doesn't have it already solved. It may be possible to do something like that but it's not easy.

7 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Seems like something that should have been set up before the party

Diane was not even expected to be on the party. They are improvising.

Standard meta-rule is that if it becomes necessary to create another rule on-fly, it doesn't need to apply on the event which proved it's necessary, just on any later instances. However, Sarah agreed it's fair ...

19 minutes ago, Scotty said:
1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

That's what I was talking about.

I thought you meant safe as in physically safe.

Tedd didn't made any effort to make the wand more physically safe. Like, she could've added some padding I suppose. But I guess she didn't consider THIS to be an issue. Like, sure, Nanase probably would be able to kill someone with a drumstick, but she's not likely to try it on her friends.

All the effort was to make the casting spell with the wand safer. So yes that was what I was talking about.

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:
11 hours ago, mlooney said:

It seems to me that some form of control over the use of the wand is, in fact, needed.

Especially considering Tedd only made one so they needs to take turns instead of everyone transforming each other as fast as possible ... which might be fun but Tedd wouldn't be able to make research.

I would be somewhat surprised if Tedd doesn't have an even number of wands. Considering that drumsticks of that sort generally come in pairs.

Note however that (a) a pair of drumsticks need not be turned into identical wands and (b) just because she has more doesn't necessarily mean that she'll bring more out for the party.

(Oh, and also it's possible that one got broken.)

3 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Like, sure, Nanase probably would be able to kill someone with a drumstick

Nanase, Elliot, Ellen, Justin, and Grace are able - and know how - to kill someone with their bare hands. Or feet. Or, for Grace, antennae.

Diane may have also learned how, incidental to her cheerleading training. Ashley, in dance and/or soccer.

2 minutes ago, Don Edwards said:
1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

I would be somewhat surprised if Tedd doesn't have an even number of wands. Considering that drumsticks of that sort generally come in pairs.

Note however that (a) a pair of drumsticks need not be turned into identical wands and (b) just because she has more doesn't necessarily mean that she'll bring more out for the party.

(Oh, and also it's possible that one got broken.)

Drumsticks coming in pairs doesn't mean Tedd already turned the other one into wand. She might've leave it for later, so it's not wand yet.

Or what you proposed.

Or, like ... maybe the second drumstick didn't survive the recharging. Anything remotely similar to battery can be overcharged with destructive results, and Tedd definitely was showing off with that flashy recharging ...

3 minutes ago, Don Edwards said:
6 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Like, sure, Nanase probably would be able to kill someone with a drumstick

Nanase, Elliot, Ellen, and Grace are able - and know how - to kill someone with their bare hands. Or feet. Or, for Grace, antennae.

That reminds me the joke about how to hack an ATM. You need notebook and pickaxe ...

Also, I don't think Grace can kill anyone with her antennae. Like she may kill someone with telekinesis, but physically hurting someone with the antennae, I don't think they are sturdy enough.

1 hour ago, Don Edwards said:

Or just pick them up... and up... and up... and then let go.

I'm not sure she's capable of either telekinetically pick up a person OR levitate while holding another person. I suspect that the second will be easier for her.