• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
mlooney

Cats, Dogs, Other pets.

One of our cats, Baker, was transported to a 24-hour veterinarian's office by Mrs. Prof last night. For two straight days, we'd found kitty litter scattered all over the floor around the litter boxes (we have multiple, since we've got two cats). Last night, Mrs. Prof noticed Baker going back and forth between the litter boxes. She kind of spied on him using one of them, and noted that nothing came out. She felt his abdomen and got worried that he might have a urethral blockage, so off to the vet they went.

The good news was that there was no blockage. However, he might have been developing crystals. The vet couldn't tell since Baker's bladder was empty. So, conservatively, they gave him a pain med and medication to help relax his urethra. They also put him on prescription canned food. Meanwhile, Mrs. Prof needs to do some more research and consulting with her cat rescue friends.

As of this morning, Baker is still on the medicine. He's rather grogged out and assuming the pose of Meatloaf Cat on the floor. I've seen him use the litter box successfully, and he's not scattering the litter so much. He's not too enamored with the prescription food, but we'll deal with that. Time will tell how he progresses.

4 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

Update: Baker's tossing kitty litter again.

He had been ignoring his prescription food, but just now I saw him begin eating it. Let's hope it helps.

Here's hoping that Baker starts to feel better soon.

Explorer the Cat has separation anxiety if I leave for more than an hour.  I was gone for about 5 hours to my weekly D&D game and she has been on my chest for most of the 45 minutes I've been back.  She was in the bed when I can home.  She had been in the cat cave when i left.  

7 hours ago, mlooney said:

Explorer the Cat has separation anxiety if I leave for more than an hour.  I was gone for about 5 hours to my weekly D&D game and she has been on my chest for most of the 45 minutes I've been back.  She was in the bed when I can home.  She had been in the cat cave when i left.  

Poor kitty. She really loves her human. I am glad you are taking such good care of her.

22 minutes ago, mlooney said:

She's been exactly what I needed these last few months.

And it seems that you have been exactly what she needed as well. ^_^

11 hours ago, mlooney said:

I'm surprised you are doing it face to face.

4 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:

I'm surprised you are doing it face to face.

This is the first week we have done it.  The way our tables are laid out we get about 6' separation.

Update on Baker the cat:

Baker had two good pees overnight. No apparent litter tossing. Mrs. Prof was impressed enough that she decided not to give him the medicine that makes him all goofy 'n stuff. He's trotting around the house like normal today, so far.

5 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

Update on Baker the cat:

Baker had two good pees overnight. No apparent litter tossing. Mrs. Prof was impressed enough that she decided not to give him the medicine that makes him all goofy 'n stuff. He's trotting around the house like normal today, so far.

Good news!

19 minutes ago, mlooney said:

Explorer the Cat leaving the food area, trying to decide on this morning's activities.

Seems that most of this morning is being taken up by running about.

Update:

Baker the cat did not, in the overall scheme of things, end up liking the prescription food, so Mrs. Prof bought some Feline Urinary Tract support food that a cat organization she is acquainted with uses. Baker reportedly dove into it and chowed down. She also bought an oral gel called Methigel, which is a DL-Methionine amino acid supplement for urinary tract health, again at the cat organization's advice. I'm assuming Baker ate his first dose, because she didn't tell me about the outcome.

We've had one incident of litter scattering, but that's it, and it was prior to the new food (which is chicken & gravy flavored, BTW, a supposed fave of his) and Methigel regimen.

This is not going to be a short road to recovery. It's going to take daily monitoring and dietary adjustment. Will report as new info is available.