• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
mlooney

Cats, Dogs, Other pets.

"There is stuff on the table.  What is 'Pennsic' and 'Garb'?  And why does he need so many pouches?" - Explorer the Cat.

dsc_7937.jpg

Since cats (along with most non-primate mammals) have bichromatic vision (red and blue cones, no green ones, rendering them blue-green blind, with green looking blue to them), they tend to recognize monochrome images more easily than they do with color images that are made for our trichromatic eyes (and hence do not look the same color as the real thing to them).

50 minutes ago, ijuin said:

Since cats (along with most non-primate mammals) have bichromatic vision (red and blue cones, no green ones, rendering them blue-green blind, with green looking blue to them), they tend to recognize monochrome images more easily than they do with color images that are made for our trichromatic eyes (and hence do not look the same color as the real thing to them).

I wonder why. Seeing green seems pretty useful, especially to an herbivore. Blue, on the other hand, is the sky, which does not directly affect you - maybe to contrast with predators like hawks and eagles?

4 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

I wonder why. Seeing green seems pretty useful, especially to an herbivore. Blue, on the other hand, is the sky, which does not directly affect you - maybe to contrast with predators like hawks and eagles?

Oh, they can see green things—it’s just that they can’t tell green and blue apart, i.e. green looks blue to them.

1 hour ago, ijuin said:

Oh, they can see green things—it’s just that they can’t tell green and blue apart, i.e. green looks blue to them.

I suppose I worded that poorly. Having food jump out visually from the background seems useful to an herbivore. But, hell, for all I know, maybe deer find food mostly by smell.

You'd think that if they can't see a blue/green distinction, there would be more blending of the coloration on their skin, but neither color is common on mammals. Birds see color well, so not being noticed by hawks would still be a thing. But a bird that is blue would be hiding from cats in the trees.

I want a phone camera viewer that does a generic mammal color translation. I want 'What would a cat  or dog see?', but you could also take pictures specifically for your cat or dog.

Cats are also drawn to movement, their vision system highlights small motions, so a picture that has a twitching tail would draw a cat's interest.

"You seem to be up very early today.  I assume you will be going back to bed.  I'm going to go over to the bookcase where the cold air blows" - Explorer the Cat.

dsc_7948.jpg

dsc_7947.jpg

As mammals, Cats are capable of regulating their own body temperature.  Allowing sunbeams & air conditioning to deal with that allows our Feline overlords more time & energy to plot their other diabolical schemes.

"OK I'm gonna hang out on The Box with the other boxes on it.  I'll be helping you 'Read Soon Now' " - Explorer the Cat.

dsc_7951.jpg

4 hours ago, mlooney said:

"It's hot in here this morning.  You took the little breeze maker last night" - Explorer the Cat.

dsc_7961.jpg

Poor kitty is hot. Sticking out tongue to sweat.

21 hours ago, mlooney said:

"An now I'm in the box.  Favorite box to sit in, but not on." - Explorer the Cat.

dsc_7955.jpg

Ahm takin a trip, bee bak sune.

The feline boxes made me think of Schrödinger's cat again.  

The cat goes into a box, and then an hour later sees humans who are surprised to see the Cat alive.

From the Cat's point of view, it is always just an hour in a box.  No big deal.

The Cat that doesn't leave the box is not the surviving Cat's concern.

12 minutes ago, ijuin said:

Yeah, my cats panic when they hear all of the explosions going off.

It's wasn't the explosions that really made her panic is was the "screamer" rockets.  She didn't like the firecrackers, but really freaked out when a screamer went off.