• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
mlooney

Story, Monday 3 Feb 2020

Here is.

Looks like Diane is learning a lot about her self at this party.  Also, seems like she should get together with Ashley as they seem to have similar tastes in weirdness.

So it is the opinion of Diane that defines what is "Weird" and "Normal"?

Good to know

Growing up, it was always my little sister who let me know what was weird
So since she moved out (over thirty years ago) there has not been a reliable source for me to consult on a daily basis

2 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Good to know

I think it's more like she just answered the question she had in "So a Date" of "Am I into this?" and she's now going "Yes, yes I am into this, I am soo into this, no one can be further into this than I am right now."

Ashley: "hold my soda"

On the one hand I enjoy seeing people embrace the fun of transformation. On the other hand, every once and a while I get concerned that Dan is making his characters more and more similar over time to a level that is unrealistic (and potentially could lead to them no longer feeling like distinct characters); I'm feeling that concern again. (Other examples: Both Tedd and Elliot are nonbinary/gender-fluid. All of the main 10 except Justin and Nanase (and arguably male!Tedd) are some form of bisexual. ...Though at least those examples are of things which don't get enough representation elsewhere. Having most of the cast being interested in transformation just feels indulgent.)

At any rate, yay for blurry-sunburst-with-bubbles background in panel three! Yay for diagonal-lines-and-bubbles background in panel four!  

38 minutes ago, ChronosCat said:

On the one hand I enjoy seeing people embrace the fun of transformation. On the other hand, every once and a while I get concerned that Dan is making his characters more and more similar over time to a level that is unrealistic (and potentially could lead to them no longer feeling like distinct characters); I'm feeling that concern again. (Other examples: Both Tedd and Elliot are nonbinary/gender-fluid. All of the main 10 except Justin and Nanase (and arguably male!Tedd) are some form of bisexual. ...Though at least those examples are of things which don't get enough representation elsewhere. Having most of the cast being interested in transformation just feels indulgent.)

At any rate, yay for blurry-sunburst-with-bubbles background in panel three! Yay for diagonal-lines-and-bubbles background in panel four!  

*nod* That concerns me too and, as far as I can tell, I'm very much like Dan in many ways relevant to what I like to read and write about.

I suspect the difference is that Dan feels the pressure to keep a schedule while I'm much more willing to delay producing something in order to meet a certain standard.  After all, everyone productive agrees that "perfection is no good if it means you never get it done" but where to draw the line is a fuzzy thing.

(For my story ideas, I'm taking the "plan out the whole novel/fanfic first, then fill it in like a progressive JPEG, then only share it with strangers after it's more or less done," approach... something that keeps getting me dopamine hits from a trickle of insights I never could have had from writing in linear order, which cause me to make significant but proportionately worthwhile changes to the character bio charts, backstory, etc.)

Heck, once I clear out some more urgent projects, I have a Scrivener competitor in a very early stage of development where the ability to pull up note cards which share a certain tag (eg. character bios) in a cross-comparison display is on the TODO list specifically because I'm finding it's starting to get laborious to double-check that my characters aren't evolving toward too much similarity as I continue to develop my conceptions of them.

4 hours ago, Scotty said:

I think it's more like she just answered the question she had in "So a Date" of "Am I into this?" and she's now going "Yes, yes I am into this, I am soo into this, no one can be further into this than I am right now."

As with Ashley thinking “My People!” earlier in the party, Diane has discovered that she will fit right in with her new friends.

On 2/3/2020 at 3:50 PM, Scotty said:
On 2/3/2020 at 3:46 PM, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Good to know

Actually, I understood that "no longer considered weird" part as realizing that there are other people who are into it so it can't be that weird.

On 2/3/2020 at 1:25 PM, mlooney said:

Also, seems like she should get together with Ashley as they seem to have similar tastes in weirdness.

I think Ashley's is weirder.

On 2/3/2020 at 5:31 PM, ChronosCat said:

I wasn't concerned with Elliot as I think Tedd and Elliot are very different kinds of nonbinary/gender-fluid.

And Sarah starting to like transformations wasn't that big surprise.

And Ashley was INTRODUCED as someone liking transformations.

... but NOW, with Diane, I'm starting to feel same concern. The way she likes transformations really seem too similar to Ashley ... but unlike Ashley, it's unexpected.

2 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Actually, I understood that "no longer considered weird" part as realizing that there are other people who are into it so it can't be that weird.

That's no different than what I had said though.

She's into it, therefore it's not weird to her.

51 minutes ago, Scotty said:

That's no different than what I had said though.

She's into it, therefore it's not weird to her.

I'm pretty sure it's exact opposite.

I see it as "other people are into it, therefore it's not weird".

Pharaoh RutinTutin see it as "I'm (Diane) into it, therefore it's not weird".

And what you said seems more like Pharaoh's version ...

(Note that the question of who guessed how Diane means it correctly is separate.)

I think Ashley's is weirder.

On 2/3/2020 at 3:50 PM, Scotty said:

Ashley: "hold my soda"

Meanwhile, here we seem to be in agreement.

48 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Thing is, there was a period where she thought everything geeky was weird to the point that she'd deny any interest in it, but now she's more open to a lot of it and realizing just how much stuff interests her which fits the "Also maybe into some stuff that can no longer be considered weird", she used to think stuff was weird but because she's realized she's really into it, she can't call it weird anymore.

10 hours ago, Scotty said:
18 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Thing is, there was a period where she thought everything geeky was weird to the point that she'd deny any interest in it, but now she's more open to a lot of it and realizing just how much stuff interests her which fits the "Also maybe into some stuff that can no longer be considered weird", she used to think stuff was weird but because she's realized she's really into it, she can't call it weird anymore.

Yeah. Maybe my view is too optimistic.

Speaking about which, I wonder if she already applied her openness on being geeky or if that is still in future. Because yes, after being so open about so many stuff, I can't see her remain to be afraid of becoming geek.

2 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Speaking about which, I wonder if she already applied her openness on being geeky or if that is still in future. Because yes, after being so open about so many stuff, I can't see her remain to be afraid of becoming geek.

I think just showing interest in magic counts, as evident in "So a Date", but again, she was trying (and failing) to deny it, so what's really changed is that she seems to have completely dropped the "I'm too good for this stuff" routine.

Though, it's possible that Charlotte might have had some influence in which Diane's attitude really took a bad turn and she found herself really thinking about how she was acting, also this, which lead to this.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

I think just showing interest in magic counts, as evident in "So a Date", but again, she was trying (and failing) to deny it, so what's really changed is that she seems to have completely dropped the "I'm too good for this stuff" routine.

Well, Warcraft doesn't count. At this point, we don't know if Diane would argue that magic is so cool it doesn't count as geeky or if she would accept she's geek.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

Though, it's possible that Charlotte might have had some influence in which Diane's attitude really took a bad turn and she found herself really thinking about how she was acting, also this, which lead to this.

It's like ... the idea is there, but we can't be sure if Diane though about it more. She DID though about SOME stuff, but I think there are still some things she didn't re-though.

16 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

It's like ... the idea is there, but we can't be sure if Diane though about it more. She DID though about SOME stuff, but I think there are still some things she didn't re-though.

There apparently was a time when Diane used to like Rick calling her Barbie, sure it was probably because she had a crush on him before she found out he was gay. And, as revealed further into her introspection, Diane was already in the process of changing things, Elliot would have been the first guy she wanted to have a meaningful relationship with since junior high. Agreeing to help Ellen and Nanase with the griffin mystery was a move into geeky territory. In a sense, Diane's behaving more like she did when she was 12.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

There apparently was a time when Diane used to like Rick calling her Barbie, sure it was probably because she had a crush on him before she found out he was gay. And, as revealed further into her introspection, Diane was already in the process of changing things, Elliot would have been the first guy she wanted to have a meaningful relationship with since junior high. Agreeing to help Ellen and Nanase with the griffin mystery was a move into geeky territory. In a sense, Diane's behaving more like she did when she was 12.

Yes. She also didn't finished being introspective at that point because she was interrupted by the bell. Did she found another opportunity later or is that still waiting in future?

Agreeing to help with the griffin mystery was extremely geeky, but it also happened before her introspective moment, meaning she would reject that if asked. Would she admit it now? Maybe. At least to herself. But noone asked, which may mean she didn't realized it yet.

9 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Yes. She also didn't finished being introspective at that point because she was interrupted by the bell. Did she found another opportunity later or is that still waiting in future?

The only thing they didn't finish discussing was related to fashion though, not very groundbreaking compared to this recent bit of introspection, but this current introspection probably wouldn't have happened without the earlier session at school, so I'd say that opportunity just happened.

To add, Diane's introspection's going to develop much like Elliot's probably, it's not going to be about a particular subject, just that it's going to happen more often now that she's started.

3 hours ago, hkmaly said:

At this point, we don't know if Diane would argue that magic is so cool it doesn't count as geeky or if she would accept she's geek.

Maybe she's figured out that pretty much everyone is a geek, just about different things. D&D geeks, computer geeks, football geeks...

21 hours ago, Don Edwards said:
On 2/6/2020 at 1:16 AM, hkmaly said:

At this point, we don't know if Diane would argue that magic is so cool it doesn't count as geeky or if she would accept she's geek.

Maybe she's figured out that pretty much everyone is a geek, just about different things. D&D geeks, computer geeks, football geeks...

I doubt that.

Sure, you rarely find someone who is not geek of SOME kind on any university, but they are not at university yet.

And, frankly, even from main characters ... Elliot doesn't look like geek material. For start, he has no idea what to do with his life. Granted, he DID watched whole TNG twice.

21 hours ago, Don Edwards said:
On 2/7/2020 at 1:32 AM, hkmaly said:

And, frankly, even from main characters ... Elliot doesn't look like geek material.

Martial-arts geek.

He didn't even tried to visit another dojo. He only knows ONE martial art (granted, possibly the best one ... unless there is kung-fu taught the proper way by someone who KNOWS it gives people magic powers in EGS universe). I don't think so.