• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
mlooney

NP, Friday Feb 7 2020

Here is.

Oh, by all means, let's have a couple of strips of Monk!Rhoda spending time in a Pub.

And I'm not sure how much of that last sentence was sarcasm or not.  I mean it could be cute, but then again this story line has gotten long enough with out side dealies.

Susan has shown that she has more money than she knows what to do with in this story, so her funding Rhoda and any other companions is viable for as long as she wishes to. Also, she seems to be in the mood to annoy Arthur after her unpleasant experience with the Abbot.

7 hours ago, ijuin said:

Susan has shown that she has more money than she knows what to do with in this story, so her funding Rhoda and any other companions is viable for as long as she wishes to.

She might have enough money to fund EVERYONE in whole country. Like, in real economy that's impossible, but in simplified game economy ...

So yes, why not? If Arthur didn't wanted Rhoda to go to pub, he should tell why, not mock her about not having money.

7 hours ago, ijuin said:

Also, she seems to be in the mood to annoy Arthur after her unpleasant experience with the Abbot.

... of course, it's possible it wouldn't help.

9 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Actually, that may be a viable plan for financing Rhoda

I don't think Friar Tuck ever paid for his own drinks in any of the Robin Hood legends

Also this.

13 hours ago, mlooney said:

I mean it could be cute, but then again this story line has gotten long enough with out side dealies.

... and the way Dan speaks about splitting into parts, we likely aren't in half yet.

47 minutes ago, hkmaly said:
14 hours ago, mlooney said:

I mean it could be cute, but then again this story line has gotten long enough with out side dealies.

... and the way Dan speaks about splitting into parts, we likely aren't in half yet.

Well, he's over half a year, real time on this.  I just a soon it not make it to a full year or more.

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

If Arthur didn't wanted Rhoda to go to pub, he should tell why, not mock her about not having money.

I love this quote. It is so to the point. Regrettably, people are often not so mature as to say what they mean.

1 hour ago, Darth Fluffy said:

I love this quote. It is so to the point. Regrettably, people are often not so mature as to say what they mean.

I also read his tirade as "You don't know the first thing about how the world outside of a temple works!" He is chewing her out for generally being naive in ways that could get her in serious trouble.

6 hours ago, ijuin said:

I also read his tirade as "You don't know the first thing about how the world outside of a temple works!" He is chewing her out for generally being naive in ways that could get her in serious trouble.

About d@mn time she got an edumacation, amirite?

12 hours ago, ijuin said:

I also read his tirade as "You don't know the first thing about how the world outside of a temple works!" He is chewing her out for generally being naive in ways that could get her in serious trouble

Unfortunately, her lack of knowledge about how the world works may well include gaps involving innuendo, understatement, or sarcasm
If he does not plainly tell her why she can't wait at the pub, she probably won't understand

I am guessing that this is not the right place for a rant about how a cloistered life, if entered into voluntarily by an adult, can be worthwhile spiritual pursuit
But putting a child into such an environment will almost guarantee an emotionally damaged young adult when he or she eventually must step outside the order, even briefly

23 hours ago, mlooney said:

I just a soon it not make

... is that phrase I don't know or autocorrect?

7 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:
21 hours ago, ijuin said:

I also read his tirade as "You don't know the first thing about how the world outside of a temple works!" He is chewing her out for generally being naive in ways that could get her in serious trouble

Unfortunately, her lack of knowledge about how the world works may well include gaps involving innuendo, understatement, or sarcasm
If he does not plainly tell her why she can't wait at the pub, she probably won't understand

Good point. So not only he's chewing her out for not being mature in way which is not really mature itself, he's also using "language" she might not understand despite understanding the words.

8 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

But putting a child into such an environment will almost guarantee an emotionally damaged young adult when he or she eventually must step outside the order, even briefly

Also, there is this little problem of it not being voluntarily: even if the child agrees, it can't count because the child don't understand what she's agreeing to. Actually, she STILL wouldn't understand.

14 hours ago, ijuin said:

We don’t need no edumacation!

We don’t need no thought control!

I'm sure the drinking will help with that:  Bottle in front of me <==> Frontal Lobotomy

9 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

I am guessing that this is not the right place for a rant about how a cloistered life, if entered into voluntarily by an adult, can be worthwhile spiritual pursuit

She is pursuing spirits, she's going to a pub.

I assume that even though she's barly a young adult in the main comic, in the context of the game she's clearly a young adult. There was not question, "I wonder if a pub will serve me." Also, it seems like she's been a monk for a while.

24 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:

She is pursuing spirits, she's going to a pub.

Maybe she will only get a beer?

25 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:

I assume that even though she's barly a young adult in the main comic, in the context of the game she's clearly a young adult. There was not question, "I wonder if a pub will serve me." Also, it seems like she's been a monk for a while.

In most of world (both by land size and population), legal drinking age is 18.

Also, in history, legal drinking age was zero. Considering the conservation effect of alcohol, lack of alternatives and rarity of really clean water, it was actually much better idea to drink alcohol - meaning, weak wine or beer, not spirits - than anything else (granted, Coca Cola might be almost as good as spirit in this regard, but Coca Cola was only invented in 1886). Also, alcohol consumption has severe effect on driving car, but much lower effect when riding horse.

Finally, armed person is usually allowed to drink at least until their ability to use those weapons is seriously affected by it.

Besides the lack of age-related drinking restrictions, back before high school was a thing for commoners, people were more or less considered adults at sixteen-ish. Juliet, from Shakespeare’s Romeo and Juliet was considered marriageable at fourteen, for example.

4 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Maybe she will only get a beer?

Fair point, although the end result will be similar.

In most of world (both by land size and population), legal drinking age is 18.

I believe it is lower in a good portion of the world. Mexico is (or was) early teens, as one of my kids figured out during a trip.

Many places have a "You can't take alcohol out of the bar" law. He also discovered that.

Also, in history, legal drinking age was zero.

I find the mental image of the doctor delivering the newborn handing him or her a shot disturbing.

Considering the conservation effect of alcohol, lack of alternatives and rarity of really clean water, it was actually much better idea to drink alcohol - meaning, weak wine or beer, not spirits - than anything else

Oh, it's still a thing. Visit Flint, Michigan, if you doubt it.

(granted, Coca Cola might be almost as good as spirit in this regard, but Coca Cola was only invented in 1886).

Sure, substituting sugar as the toxic substance can work.

Also, alcohol consumption has severe effect on driving car, but much lower effect when riding horse.

So far, horses are smarter than cars.

Finally, armed person is usually allowed to drink at least until their ability to use those weapons is seriously affected by it.

Not true in the US of A. You can fight and die for your country three years before you can drink. When I was young, it was on a state by state basis, and we used to go to New Jersey to get alcohol. Now, I believe it is a federal mandate. Unlike pot, it's actually honored.

1 hour ago, ijuin said:

Besides the lack of age-related drinking restrictions, back before high school was a thing for commoners, people were more or less considered adults at sixteen-ish. Juliet, from Shakespeare’s Romeo and Juliet was considered marriageable at fourteen, for example.

I had this in mind, too. I would not vouch that even then, such an individual was sufficiently mature, but family and community had more influence to prop them up that the do in my neck of the woods today. OTOH, I can also vouch that "young adults" fresh out of school and serving in the military are generally still far from mature.

I find the mental image of the doctor delivering the newborn handing him or her a shot disturbing.

LMAO! :beerchug:

But seriously, before Europeans discovered opium and its derivatives, the main painkiller (and antiseptic) used in surgery was alcohol--namely getting the patient drunk enough that he wouldn't struggle while the surgeon worked. And yes, this included if the patient was an infant.

Not true in the US of A. You can fight and die for your country three years before you can drink. When I was young, it was on a state by state basis, and we used to go to New Jersey to get alcohol. Now, I believe it is a federal mandate. Unlike pot, it's actually honored.

Not just die for your country, but kill for it too--apparently it requires less maturity to make the call on whether to kill somebody than it does to drink a beer. Old enough to kill is still too young to drink booze.

4 hours ago, ijuin said:

Not just die for your country, but kill for it too--apparently it requires less maturity to make the call on whether to kill somebody than it does to drink a beer. Old enough to kill is still too young to drink booze.

When you put it in that context, it actually makes sense to restrict it. Do you really want inebriated 18/19 Y.O.s carrying arms?

Of course, in our case, it would make more sense to restrict congress and the Presidential staff. But what are you going to do?

13 hours ago, hkmaly said:
On 2/7/2020 at 7:56 PM, mlooney said:

It should have been "I'd just as soon it not make it to a full year or more".  I have used the "I'd just as soon" as part of a sentence  most of my life.  See here.

3 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

When you put it in that context, it actually makes sense to restrict it. Do you really want inebriated 18/19 Y.O.s carrying arms?

Of course, in our case, it would make more sense to restrict congress and the Presidential staff. But what are you going to do?

Actually, I don’t want sober 18/19 year olds carrying arms—kids that age are too prone to act impulsively against orders on a battlefield and just indiscriminately shoot anybody who isn’t wearing a friendly uniform.

2 hours ago, ijuin said:

Actually, I don’t want sober 18/19 year olds carrying arms—kids that age are too prone to act impulsively against orders on a battlefield and just indiscriminately shoot anybody who isn’t wearing a friendly uniform.

... and their more likely to hit what they are aiming at.

12 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:
16 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Also, in history, legal drinking age was zero.

Doctor is historically pretty new idea. And I believe alcohol was used for "better sleep" of children (i.e. when they didn't wanted to stop crying) even quite recently. But, mainly the fact it was legal doesn't mean they really started immediately.

Considering the conservation effect of alcohol, lack of alternatives and rarity of really clean water, it was actually much better idea to drink alcohol - meaning, weak wine or beer, not spirits - than anything else

Oh, it's still a thing. Visit Flint, Michigan, if you doubt it.

I'm pretty sure you can buy all kind of bottled water in Flint. Or at least buy it elsewhere and bring there. In history there was no such option.

(granted, Coca Cola might be almost as good as spirit in this regard, but Coca Cola was only invented in 1886).

Sure, substituting sugar as the toxic substance can work.

The phosphoric acid also won't hurt. Or rather it WILL hurt the bacteria.

Also, alcohol consumption has severe effect on driving car, but much lower effect when riding horse.

So far, horses are smarter than cars.

Yes. And despite current progress in self-driving car, horse has one critical advantage: his self-preservation programming is extremely hard to change.

6 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:
10 hours ago, ijuin said:

Yeah, it definitely doesn't make sense ... and there were attempts to fix it by lowering legal age for drinking ... but apparently, the logical alternative of raising minimal age for soldiers didn't occurred to ANYONE.

Also note that in pubs near the military bases where young soldiers might be trying to get some alcohol have military police on speed dial.

6 hours ago, mlooney said:
19 hours ago, hkmaly said:
On 2/8/2020 at 2:56 AM, mlooney said:

It should have been "I'd just as soon it not make it to a full year or more".  I have used the "I'd just as soon" as part of a sentence  most of my life.  See here.

... I think I did met THAT phrase at least in some limited way before but the "it" really doesn't fit there.

5 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Doctor is historically pretty new idea. And I believe alcohol was used for "better sleep" of children (i.e. when they didn't wanted to stop crying) even quite recently. But, mainly the fact it was legal doesn't mean they really started immediately.

If you want to get technical, unfortunately, many start before birth.

I'm pretty sure you can buy all kind of bottled water in Flint. Or at least buy it elsewhere and bring there. In history there was no such option.

If only. Flint is a community of over 100,000 people. Imagine your town's entire water supply being toxic for the past five years. That's a lot of bottled water. Many Good Sams have taken to trucking water in, but can't keep up.

The remediation is supposed to wrap up this summer, 2020; that's for the plumbing, not for the human damage already done.

The entire story is full of more political bullshit than you can imagine. One of the worst points is this was in part precipitated to save $140.00 per year. You read that right.

I've never watched the alleged demonstration of dissolving a tooth in Coke, but I imagine it would work.

Yes. And despite current progress in self-driving car, horse has one critical advantage: his self-preservation programming is extremely hard to change.

Honestly, I don't quite get this one. Granted, the horse knows it's way home, but they aren't exactly the safest mode of transport ever devised. I personally known people who have gotten thrown by horses, and look at Christopher Reeves. The wife of a friend of mine had something similar happen. I can't imagine being inebriated and riding a horse is a good combination.

Yeah, it definitely doesn't make sense ... and there were attempts to fix it by lowering legal age for drinking ... but apparently, the logical alternative of raising minimal age for soldiers didn't occurred to ANYONE.

Unfortunately, it is a good age for soldiers. You have a large pool of relatively unskilled personnel needing jobs to enter the workforce, who incidentally have an inflated sense of their own immortality, and are used to have someone else direct their lives. Or you can take a somewhat older crowd, who are already an integral part of the economy, more likely than not to be starting families, and have a fair sense of independence. Hmm, which to choose, which to choose, ...

Also note that in pubs near the military bases where young soldiers might be trying to get some alcohol have military police on speed dial.

Yes, the irony of being arrested for underage drinking by a fellow soldier who is himself underage and will be attempting to do the same in a few hours ...

22 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:
6 hours ago, hkmaly said:

If only. Flint is a community of over 100,000 people. Imagine your town's entire water supply being toxic for the past five years. That's a lot of bottled water. Many Good Sams have taken to trucking water in, but can't keep up.

So, are you telling me that you can't get bottled water in Flint if you offer to pay for it twice as much as major?

Obviously, there is real crisis in progress as there is not enough clean water for everyone, but the situation is still significantly better than in history, when you simply had NO other option. Like, I have serious suspicion that Cleopatra, who definitely wasn't poor, had her options limited to alcohol, water from Nil and camel milk. (She chosen wine.)

24 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:

I've never watched the alleged demonstration of dissolving a tooth in Coke, but I imagine it would work.

Also, most bacteria are not as resistant as tooth.

26 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Honestly, I don't quite get this one. Granted, the horse knows it's way home, but they aren't exactly the safest mode of transport ever devised. I personally known people who have gotten thrown by horses, and look at Christopher Reeves. The wife of a friend of mine had something similar happen. I can't imagine being inebriated and riding a horse is a good combination.

Right. The horse will take care of itself, but may get rid of the rider in unsafe way.

I still think that it's easier to hit other car frontally with car, even self-driving one, than with horse. Also, generally the faster you move the harder the injuries: sure, Christopher Reeves was left quadriplegic, but many people involved in car crash were left dead.

29 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Unfortunately, it is a good age for soldiers. You have a large pool of relatively unskilled personnel needing jobs to enter the workforce, who incidentally have an inflated sense of their own immortality, and are used to have someone else direct their lives. Or you can take a somewhat older crowd, who are already an integral part of the economy, more likely than not to be starting families, and have a fair sense of independence. Hmm, which to choose, which to choose, ...

Depends: do you want soldiers who are mature and ready for killing and being killed, or do you plan to take advantage of the fact your soldiers are NOT mature enough to be soldiers? ... rhetorical question. Of course the age for soldiers is lower than for alcohol because you WANT them immature.

32 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Yes, the irony of being arrested for underage drinking by a fellow soldier who is himself underage and will be attempting to do the same in a few hours ...

... I would question the intelligence of such attempt, but we already established that intelligence and maturity are not the traits you want in soldiers.

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

So, are you telling me that you can't get bottled water in Flint if you offer to pay for it twice as much as major?

Yes. I am saying that during a multi-years long crisis in which the water supply leads to various health hazards, long term complications, and even death, not to mention smells and looks bad, even the poorest people are sufficiently motivated to buy up the available supply, to the point where "bottled water for sale in Flint" is not a thing. People do truck some in form elsewhere, and lord knows how many folks have by now set up their own makeshift water treatment plants in their homes.

Worldwide, unsafe water still kills vast numbers; our aggregate carelessness is likely to allow such to remain a problem.