• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
mlooney

Story. Monday 10 Feb 2020

Just now, mlooney said:

Here is.

I'm amused by the various people's reactions to Grace being nude. 

Yeah, Ashley starts off not looking, but then looks.

Sarah has seen Grace naked enough times now that she's wished she could be that comfortable with it, and I think she's more amazed by Grace stating that she was using actual magic there.

Elliot's...well probably being Elliot here and would likely not look out of respect regardless as to whether she's used to it or not.

Ellen's also seen Grace naked enough times, but Nanase hasn't and we know Nanase feels the same way about Grace as Ellen does.

Justin blushing is probably just from the fact that Grace is naked which is embarrassing to look at regardless of whether or not one's attracted to her.

Diane's been blushing a fair bit already and had just had her "yes I'm attracted to girls" mood cranked to 11 (or higher) moments ago.

Susan we knew is attracted to both men and women, at least she's not in male form this time around.

As for Grace's clothing failure, I guess maybe each change she made to herself affected her clothes in some way, and apparently those changes, plus her going full squirrel earlier took some big chomps out of the ambient energy.

I kinda figured that if she was using actual magic she wouldn't have enough of her own personal magic reserves if any at all due to her having only relied on Uryuom Power up until 2 weeks ago. But I didn't think clothing resizing would drain the area that quickly.

1 hour ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Tedd, for the mental health and comfort of anyone else who spends a significant amount of time around Grace...

PLEASE figure out a way to adapt the Uryuom suit as an undergarment

I suspect that will require Will and/or Gill to get involved.  And they will not understand why they need to do this.

So I it didn't make sense to me that Grace would be so energetic when she hasn't had any food or sleep since using the "common magic" made her tired. I asked about it on twitter, and Dan's answer was "Adrenaline rush."

Based on that, we probably haven't seen the last of sleepy Grace, and for the sake of her health I hope she gets something to eat soon.

2 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Tedd, for the mental health and comfort of anyone else who spends a significant amount of time around Grace...

Well, it would increase the comfort of those who haven't gotten used to her being naked (and would be a good idea for situations where there's a risk of wardrobe malfunctions but not everybody around her knows about or is okay with that risk).

...But personally I think it would be more healthy if people who are going to spend a significant time around Grace learn to accept and get used to her being naked. While there are good reasons to wear clothing in many circumstances, I feel the blanket taboo against nudity is overkill and contributes to people feeling insecure about their bodies.

15 hours ago, Scotty said:
17 hours ago, mlooney said:

I'm amused by the various people's reactions to Grace being nude. 

Sarah has seen Grace naked enough times now that she's wished she could be that comfortable with it, and I think she's more amazed by Grace stating that she was using actual magic there.

Elliot's...well probably being Elliot here and would likely not look out of respect regardless as to whether she's used to it or not.

Ellen's also seen Grace naked enough times, but Nanase hasn't and we know Nanase feels the same way about Grace as Ellen does.

Justin blushing is probably just from the fact that Grace is naked which is embarrassing to look at regardless of whether or not one's attracted to her.

Diane's been blushing a fair bit already and had just had her "yes I'm attracted to girls" mood cranked to 11 (or higher) moments ago.

Susan we knew is attracted to both men and women, at least she's not in male form this time around.

Amusing indeed, and I'm not surprised with anyone, maybe except Justin.

6 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

So I it didn't make sense to me that Grace would be so energetic when she hasn't had any food or sleep since using the "common magic" made her tired. I asked about it on twitter, and Dan's answer was "Adrenaline rush."

Based on that, we probably haven't seen the last of sleepy Grace, and for the sake of her health I hope she gets something to eat soon.

Yeah. Would make sense for her to get this excited. Would also make sense for her to collapse soon afterwards, especially if she plans to use more human magic.

8 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Well, it would increase the comfort of those who haven't gotten used to her being naked (and would be a good idea for situations where there's a risk of wardrobe malfunctions but not everybody around her knows about or is okay with that risk).

...But personally I think it would be more healthy if people who are going to spend a significant time around Grace learn to accept and get used to her being naked. While there are good reasons to wear clothing in many circumstances, I feel the blanket taboo against nudity is overkill and contributes to people feeling insecure about their bodies.

Agree. Also, I think that it would be quicker than convincing Grace to always wear the Uryuom suit undergarment "just in case". It's not like this was PLANNED.

As for Grace's clothing failure, I guess maybe each change she made to herself affected her clothes in some way, and apparently those changes, plus her going full squirrel earlier took some big chomps out of the ambient energy.

I kinda figured that if she was using actual magic she wouldn't have enough of her own personal magic reserves if any at all due to her having only relied on Uryuom Power up until 2 weeks ago. But I didn't think clothing resizing would drain the area that quickly.

It's specifically the fact that it was BIG resizing - like, big differences in sizes. Over the standard limits on TF gun.

That is, assuming they are right and this is the reason and the doorknob was red herring. I'm still not convinced about that. I mean, seriously, who would use fish as material for doorknob? And with that weird color?

19 hours ago, Scotty said:

Jumping and running around nude while shouting "Eureka" has much precedent--Archimedes     was the one to start the trend.

Nobody really needs to be averting their eyes here--they're all girls here right now, except for the one male who is openly gay.

Diane and Ashley probably have no idea what Grace means by "Uryuom", since they have not yet been told about the aliens walking among us.

As for Grace's clothes themselves, non-living things seemingly have no energy of their own to maintain an enchantment (unless explicitly made to store energy, as with wands, etc.), so they only have the initial energy from the spell cast upon them. When that runs out, the enchantment expires. Sizechanging is an explicitly unnatural status (as opposed to changing things like hair length, bosom size, etc., which only "violate" normal biology/physics to change into the new form, not to remain in it), which means that it needs to be maintained with energy. Thus, once Grace was no longer able to supply the energy to keep her clothes shrunk, they quickly reverted.

Just now, ijuin said:

Nobody really needs to be averting their eyes here--they're all girls here right now, except for the one male who is openly gay.

Pretty much the only one actually averting their eyes is Elliot and as I said before, it's probably completely in character for Elliot to not want to stare at her best friend's naked girlfriend. Other than Justin, who's reason for blushing might just be general embarrassment (I dunno), for the other girls it's likely due to being attracted to Grace which Dan's teased us with before with Nanase and Ellen.

Just now, ijuin said:

Diane and Ashley probably have no idea what Grace means by "Uryuom", since they have not yet been told about the aliens walking among us.

Ashley didn't hear the word Uryuom before, but she already knows about aliens, well in that she knows Grace is human/squirrel/alien/alien. Diane doesn't know yet.

Just now, ijuin said:

As for Grace's clothes themselves, non-living things seemingly have no energy of their own to maintain an enchantment (unless explicitly made to store energy, as with wands, etc.), so they only have the initial energy from the spell cast upon them. When that runs out, the enchantment expires. Sizechanging is an explicitly unnatural status (as opposed to changing things like hair length, bosom size, etc., which only "violate" normal biology/physics to change into the new form, not to remain in it), which means that it needs to be maintained with energy. Thus, once Grace was no longer able to supply the energy to keep her clothes shrunk, they quickly reverted.

I dunno if it was a retcon but Dan did have us believe back in "Indiana Elliot and the TOSF"  and then reiterated in "New and Old Flames" and "Playing with Dolls" that clothes would hold enchantments after they were taken off, of course in "Playing with Dolls" it was said that clothes needed to be worn to benefit from a person's resistance but I don't see Grace running out of magic being related to resistance. Only thing I can think of is if stacking enchantments simply has diminishing returns on how long each enchantment would last, or just makes the enchantments unstable, and it's not at all related to how much energy a person has, yet Tedd seems to believe it does.

17 hours ago, ijuin said:

I'm pretty sure the idea that girl doesn't need to be averting eyes from other girl is heavily hetero-normative. Sure, only man here is Justin, but Elliot is bisexual when transformed, Ashley and Ellen are bisexuals always, Nanase is lesbian and Sarah and Diane are also not completely straight ...

13 hours ago, Scotty said:
18 hours ago, ijuin said:

I dunno if it was a retcon but Dan did have us believe back in "Indiana Elliot and the TOSF"  and then reiterated in "New and Old Flames" and "Playing with Dolls" that clothes would hold enchantments after they were taken off, of course in "Playing with Dolls" it was said that clothes needed to be worn to benefit from a person's resistance but I don't see Grace running out of magic being related to resistance. Only thing I can think of is if stacking enchantments simply has diminishing returns on how long each enchantment would last, or just makes the enchantments unstable, and it's not at all related to how much energy a person has, yet Tedd seems to believe it does.

Clothes would hold enchantments after being taken off, BUT only the default time. When worn, they are influenced by wearer, meaning the enchantment resistance can shorten the time AND wanting the enchantment prolongs it - which likely uses up wearer's magic energy.

Stacking enchantments makes them last less time due to unstability. In clothes situation, wearer can try to use her energy to keep the enchantment running, but Grace don't have too much of it so she run out.

And note that sizechanging is "explicitly unnatural" only when it violates the square-cube law, which becames issue when the difference in sizes is too big. I believe that the TF gun limit is a limit on how much you can change size without the square-cube law becoming problem. Of course, transformations Grace did were over the TF gun limit so they needed to violate the square-cube law.

Yes, beyond a certain point, the atoms in the shrunken object must become either smaller or denser. Thus, I hypothesize that keeping the atoms reduced takes more energy to maintain than simply keeping them in a different arrangement (as in changing the shape of clothes without reducing their mass).

16 hours ago, ijuin said:

Yes, beyond a certain point, the atoms in the shrunken object must become either smaller or denser.

I suppose you wanted to say that either the space between atoms or the space inside atoms needs to be reduced.

Of course, both options lead to serious violation of basic laws of physics.

And neither explains why is Grace lighter as squirrel than as human.

16 hours ago, ijuin said:

Thus, I hypothesize that keeping the atoms reduced takes more energy to maintain than simply keeping them in a different arrangement (as in changing the shape of clothes without reducing their mass).

What needs constant energy input is mainly the boundary. Particles which are not part of shrunk object are interacting with particles which are part of shrunk object, and no matter what you do with the shrunk object on level of particles, the boundary needs constant intervention of magic.

(Unless, of course, you just rearranged the atoms).

However, it seems that the amount of intervention will raise even more when you get into ratio where square-cube law becames issue. Possibly because to get intuitively "correct" results you need to intervene not just on boundary but around it as well.

Yes, this need for intermediation between "compressed" matter and unenchanted matter (e.g. air has to be "reduced" before the shrunk person can breathe it) is why I believe that it takes constant energy expenditure to maintain matter in a state of compression.