• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
hkmaly

NP Monday, Feb 17, 2020

https://egscomics.com/egsnp/parable-069

And that's BEER. Whiskey would be worse.

When I first drank strong alcohol (about 40%), I compared the experience to hexetidine-based medicine against strep throat.

I still didn't drink enough alcohol to like it, although it's true I didn't tried that many kinds of alcoholic drinks. The one I like most is mix of wine with grape-flavored carbonated drink (turning it technically into sparkling wine), but there is not that much alcohol in it :)

18 minutes ago, ijuin said:

First timers would probably be better off having wine rather than grain-based beverages.

Also, wine is sort of traditional for monks. Well, christian monks at least.

30 minutes ago, ijuin said:

First timers would probably be better off having wine rather than grain-based beverages.

Or cider, which might just be like a strong apple or pear juice.  Anything with low alcohol and no hops would be what you should start with. 

13 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Also, wine is sort of traditional for monks. Well, christian monks at least.

Yes and no.  German monks make a very dark beer.  "liquid bread" 

The amount of wine drank during a mass is fairly small.  The monks on the other hand drink a lot of beer.  Some of the best beer in the world is made by or for monks.  Trappist beers are thought of by many1 as being one of the better beers types made.

1Many in this context maps to mlooney and a bunch of his friends, at a minimum 

19 minutes ago, mlooney said:

The amount of wine drank during a mass is fairly small. 

Good point.

19 minutes ago, mlooney said:

The monks on the other hand drink a lot of beer.

At least those German and Belgium Monks I suppose.

Might be different in England, France, Italy ...

1 minute ago, hkmaly said:

Good point.

At least those German and Belgium Monks I suppose.

Might be different in England, France, Italy ...

Granted that some monks made wine, but on a gallon per monk basis I think that more monks made beer than wine.  I could be wrong, but I do know that even in the wine growing areas of Germany there are (or were) monks making both.  Part of the reason why is that the raw ingredients for beer store better than grapes and as such can be brewed year round, vs the fall only aspect of wine making.

7 hours ago, hkmaly said:

And that's BEER. Whiskey would be worse.

And Kahlua White Russians would have been dangerous. 

Seriously, you could get them in 200ml bottles and while they're vodka based, they're still only 5% alcohol/bv which puts it in the range of a light beer so you'd need to drink a few to get drunk, but it's sooo easy to drink them because they just taste like iced mocha with no burn from the vodka.

13 hours ago, hkmaly said:

I would assume even those drink wine during ... what's the word ... mass.

So, churches that celebrate "mass" would be "massive"?

So, if you are a little kid, that is being forced to attend, but you break away and run, that's   a=F/m  , right?

That last panel. That was probably exactly the same face I made the first time I tasted akvavit. I think I was something like seven or eight and very curious about what it was in those small glasses my parents drank from sometimes at more festive occasions. So eventually my father took a few drops on a spoon an let me taste. I thought my tongue would never work again, and the burn!

But it worked. I think I was at least 17 before I had another taste, and it wasn't much more favorable, and even now when I'm over 50 I'm still not into the hard stuff for the burn or the alcohol. Don't like most wine either, and beer is something I can appreciate but doesn't feel is necessary to have a good time. Having said that some drinks can be dangerously delicious. A good example is a Long Island iced tea.

That's 1 part Vodka, 1 part Gin, 1 part Tequila, 1 part Triple sec, 1 part Rum, 2 parts sweet and sour mix, a slice of lemon and a splash of Cola for color.

It may sound like the recipe for a cure for sobriety, and it is, and yet it tastes great while putting you on your ass. Enjoy with care...

11 hours ago, Scotty said:

And Kahlua White Russians would have been dangerous. 

Seriously, you could get them in 200ml bottles and while they're vodka based, they're still only 5% alcohol/bv which puts it in the range of a light beer so you'd need to drink a few to get drunk, but it's sooo easy to drink them because they just taste like iced mocha with no burn from the vodka.

Kahlua is deadly, so smooth and so tasty.

4 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:
17 hours ago, hkmaly said:

I would assume even those drink wine during ... what's the word ... mass.

So, churches that celebrate "mass" would be "massive"?

So, if you are a little kid, that is being forced to attend, but you break away and run, that's   a=F/m  , right?

I found the translation funny as well, but if you follow the link you will see it's correct.

1 hour ago, Cpt. Obvious said:

A good example is a Long Island iced tea.

That's 1 part Vodka, 1 part Gin, 1 part Tequila, 1 part Triple sec, 1 part Rum, 2 parts sweet and sour mix, a slice of lemon and a splash of Cola for color.

... I wonder why it's called tea when there's none in it. And is it even iced? ... wait, let me guess, it's from mainland and quite short. :)

(Ok, it's actually from Long Island ...)

45 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

I found the translation funny as well, but if you follow the link you will see it's correct.

I knew what it was, I've been to a couple of masses.

The article said that Lutherans have mass. I went to a Lutheran church when I was little, and we never called it mass, but then again, there are different flavors of Lutheran.

45 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

... I wonder why it's called tea when there's none in it. And is it even iced? ... wait, let me guess, it's from mainland and quite short. :)

Quoting Wiki: Long Island Iced Tea:

" a splash of cola, which gives the drink the same amber hue as its namesake"

"Close variants often replace the sour mix with lemon juice, replace the cola with diet cola or actual iced tea, or add white crème de menthe. Most variants do not include any tea."

2 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:
56 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

I knew what it was, I've been to a couple of masses.

The article said that Lutherans have mass. I went to a Lutheran church when I was little, and we never called it mass, but then again, there are different flavors of Lutheran.

I went to multiple churches, but was very careful to not do it when something is in progress there.

Waaait ... maybe that thing with last goodbye to grandma counted?

3 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:
57 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Quoting Wiki: Long Island Iced Tea:

" a splash of cola, which gives the drink the same amber hue as its namesake"

I consider that quite weak reason.

I went to multiple churches, but was very careful to not do it when something is in progress there.

I had a hard time figuring out what your first sentence meant, then I laughed. Church buildings are interesting in their own right, so I get that.

My experience with mass has to do with weddings and funerals as well, and one Christmas Eve, I went with several friends to a big name Catholic Church in NYC, St. Peters in mid town Manhattan,  if memory serves. It was different; the uhm, bishop?, was waving a large censer on a chain hanging from a long pole he was carrying. I didn't see any rats nor cockroaches, so whatever he was burning in it must have been effective. :D  St. Peters was big and bright, and there were lots of people, I think he spoke some Latin, and that's all I can recall.

I did not realize that there was a committee that rated drink names. I'll be sure to pass your assessment along the next time I see "Long Island Iced Tea" on the menu. :P

Is this a truth in advertising kind of thing? Because if it is, you might also be interested to know that a Grasshopper contains no actual grasshoppers. There is probably some room for development here, where you could make a more nutritious version that actually used insect guts. ;)

See also, Girl Scout Cookies.

7 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:

I had a hard time figuring out what your first sentence meant, then I laughed. Church buildings are interesting in their own right, so I get that.

Well I didn't bothered visiting the less interesting ones.

8 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:
34 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

My experience with mass has to do with weddings and funerals

... I think it wasn't technically funeral as that was in different city? Was easier to move the coffin than all the people who wanted to give her goodbye, probably.

10 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:
35 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

I did not realize that there was a committee that rated drink names. I'll be sure to pass your assessment along the next time I see "Long Island Iced Tea" on the menu. :P

I would be surprised if there would be only one ... however, if there isn't, high time to found it! :)

(There is already committee which said that drink can't be called rum unless it's based on sugarcane. EXACTLY with the claim that it's false advertising. REGULATION (EC) No 110/2008 OF THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT AND OF THE COUNCIL ... never underestimate bureaucracy ...)

12 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Is this a truth in advertising kind of thing? Because if it is, you might also be interested to know that a Grasshopper contains no actual grasshoppers. There is probably some room for development here, where you could make a more nutritious version that actually used insect guts. ;)

I suppose that Green Fairy also doesn't contain any fairy and baby oil any babies. However, in case of the Long Island Iced Tea, there is real potential for confusion.

57 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

I suppose that Green Fairy also doesn't contain any fairy and baby oil any babies. However, in case of the Long Island Iced Tea, there is real potential for confusion.

Absinthe make the heart grow fonder.

On 2/17/2020 at 2:04 AM, mlooney said:

Or cider, which might just be like a strong apple or pear juice.  Anything with low alcohol and no hops would be what you should start with. 

I recently saw some news/documentary show(I forget which show) that had a segment on beer making. There was one stage where most of the ingredients had been mixed together but no hops added (and if I remember correctly didn't have any alcohol yet either); it actually sounded rather good. They they said the were going to add hops to give it bitterness. I know different people have different tastes and all, but as someone who is not a fan of bitterness, my first thought was "Why would you do that?!"

10 minutes ago, ChronosCat said:

They they said the were going to add hops to give it bitterness. I know different people have different tastes and all, but as someone who is not a fan of bitterness, my first thought was "Why would you do that?!"

I used to like IPA (India Pale Ales), which are fairly high in their hops.  Then the hipsters got active in the craft beer scene and hop bomb IPA started to be a thing.  I can't deal with modern IPA.