• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Tom Sewell

Story Friday, February 21, 2020

Seriously Diane? I mean, sure, there are several debatable cases here, but how can you NOT count Tedd as nerd?

(... of course the next page likely reveals that everyone except Ellen feels like nerd.)

4 hours ago, hkmaly said:

of course the next page likely reveals that everyone except Ellen feels like nerd.

I'm not sure that Ellen doesn't have some nerd about her, but I can't think of what she might be a nerd of.

24 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Diane has no idea who or what a Nerd actually is

Diane...

YOU ARE SURROUNDED BY NERDS

YOU ARE IN THE HOUSE OF THE SECOND BIGGEST NERD IN THE FBI (Arthur has Edward beat by at least a furlong)

Diane's most likely thinking of nerd as in the stereotypical "George McFly" sense, but it's much broader than that and can even apply to herself.

2 hours ago, Scotty said:

Diane's most likely thinking of nerd as in the stereotypical "George McFly" sense, but it's much broader than that and can even apply to herself.

Do you mean George McFly as a teen? At the end of the movie, the timeline has been edited, he still a nerd, just a very successful one.

There is a case to be made for "A nerd is someone who is competent at some specialty."

Just now, ijuin said:

More commonly, it is “someone who is competent at some specialty at the cost of being abysmal at something else” e.g.  lack of social skills.

Diane: "You all can't be nerds, you're not socially inept!"

1 hour ago, ijuin said:

In that case, Diane should have paid more attention to Grace when she started at MSHS—Grace was quite socially uneducated before the summer timeskip.

Rhoda was also not very good in the social category, and Diane wanted to help her, I'd imagine she'd have tried to get Grace into the group if Grace wasn't already with Ellen, Nanase and Justin, and it's probably good that she didn't try, Justin could handle being called a "defective male", not sure how Ellen would have taken to Diane pulling something similar while attempting to recruit Grace.

So while Diane's tactfulness on the subject leaves a lot to be desired and is probably still a remnant of her jerk phase. The desire to help boost people's self esteem and confidence seems run at least as far back as when she was helping Lucy with her issues. I don't think she'd have used "socially inept" if she'd never gone through the jerk phase.

2 hours ago, ijuin said:

More commonly, it is “someone who is competent at some specialty at the cost of being abysmal at something else” e.g.  lack of social skills.

Yes, and the comic arc is addressing that perception. Are you saying Diane is right?

11 hours ago, mlooney said:
15 hours ago, hkmaly said:

of course the next page likely reveals that everyone except Ellen feels like nerd.

I'm not sure that Ellen doesn't have some nerd about her, but I can't think of what she might be a nerd of.

Maybe, but I don't think she FEELS like nerd.

3 hours ago, ijuin said:

In that case, Diane should have paid more attention to Grace when she started at MSHS—Grace was quite socially uneducated before the summer timeskip.

She seem she would take care of her if she didn't had Ellen to handle her to.