• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
mlooney

Story Friday Feb 28 2020

Here is.

I'm not sure if I like the idea that being a nerd means you have ADHD.

Granted I have ADD among my set of issues, but I know geeks and nerds that don't.  Of course I'm not quite sure I could come up with a definition of  nerd or geek that would fit.  Geek culture, in the main, in mainstream nowadays.  I'm not sure if this a good thing or not.

This comic, before it shifts focus to ADHD, addresses what I consider the true difficulty with defining "nerd" and "geek": traditionally (or at least when I was growing up in the 80s & 90s)  one of the defining factors was interest in genres (sci fi, fantasy, superheroes) and subjects (like computers) which are now mainstream. As such it could be argued that almost everyone is a nerd/geek, rendering the terms outdated. Alternately, the definition Justin was using is outdated - but the problem is many people still use that definition.

I suppose one way to preserve something close to the traditional nerd/geek definition would be: someone who seeks out and enjoys something because it's sci-fi/fantasy/superheroes/etc is a nerd, while someone who could care less about those genres and only checks the stuff out because it's popular and/or they've heard it's good is not a nerd. But on the other hand, it probably would make more sense to just call the people in the first group "fans" of whichever genre rather than "nerds".

Tedd's reaction to the ADHD definition resembled my reaction to learning about Asperger's

Just a reminder, you do not need a mental illness to be a nerd
It is quite possible to be socially incompetent or obsessed with a narrow range of subjects and still be "Sane"

I think it’s less talking about the topics than it is being unable or unwilling to acknowledge that other people don’t want to hear about it endlessly. It’s the difference between say, Sheldon Cooper and his roommate Leonard Hofstadter.

18 minutes ago, ijuin said:

it’s less talking about the topics than it is being unable or unwilling to acknowledge that other people don’t want to hear about it endlessly.

I recall a line from the Musical "Camelot" when Lancelot admits that he is a bore because he is a fanatic and all fanatics are bores

Of course, it is one thing for a Knight like Lancelot to call himself a bore
It is a different matter if someone who is not equipped with sword and armor would make such a comment about the King's Champion

12 hours ago, mlooney said:

I'm not sure if I like the idea that being a nerd means you have ADHD.

Granted I have ADD among my set of issues, but I know geeks and nerds that don't.  Of course I'm not quite sure I could come up with a definition of  nerd or geek that would fit.

It's not that every nerd has ADHD. It's just that people with ADHD are naturally included to became nerds, because ADHD prevents them to focus on something in average way: it's either no focus or hyperfocus.

8 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

my reaction to learning about Asperger's

Just a reminder, you do not need a mental illness to be a nerd

Similarly, asperger helps because neurotypical people are occupied with social interaction while aspergers skip that. However, neurotypical people can CHOOSE to ignore social interactions ...

12 hours ago, mlooney said:

Geek culture, in the main, in mainstream nowadays.

Is not. What changed is that there were whole topics reserved for nerds and geeks, while today they went mainstream. Still, there are subtopics only geeks care about ... like, IT went mainstream, kernel hacking didn't. Cyberpunk went mainstream, but for most people that's Matrix, not Ghost in the Shell, Neuromancer or The Diamond Age: or A Young Lady's Illustrated Primer .

I was already talking about how the DEPTH is important in discussions about previous pages.

7 hours ago, ijuin said:

I think it’s less talking about the topics than it is being unable or unwilling to acknowledge that other people don’t want to hear about it endlessly. It’s the difference between say, Sheldon Cooper and his roommate Leonard Hofstadter.

... so, vegetarians and Jehovah's Witnesses are nerds?

7 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Of course, it is one thing for a Knight like Lancelot to call himself a bore
It is a different matter if someone who is not equipped with sword and armor would make such a comment about the King's Champion

I feel quite safe making such comment. After all, Lancelot is dead for thousand years, his sword and armor likely rusted and he wouldn't be able to find me anyway, without modern knowledge. Presumably. If he somehow survived, I'm ready to apologize the moment he finds me.

On 2/28/2020 at 7:09 PM, hkmaly said:

... so, vegetarians and Jehovah's Witnesses are nerds?

My mother and sister are vegetarians, and they generally only bring it up if someone is going to be buying or preparing food for them (and isn't already well aware of the fact). I personally haven't encountered anyone obnoxiously campaigning for vegetarianism; if you have, please don't judge all vegetarians by them.

As for Jehovah's Witnesses, they're just following the directives of their religion. I don't know if that disqualifies them for the "obnoxious nerd" category, or if it just means that the religion promotes obnoxious nerddom.

10 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

My mother and sister are vegetarians, and they generally only bring it up if someone is going to be buying or preparing food for them (and isn't already well aware of the fact). I personally haven't encountered anyone obnoxiously campaigning for vegetarianism; if you have, please don't judge all vegetarians by them.

Looking back it was just vegans and not vegetarians.

1 minute ago, mlooney said:
11 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Could be worse.  Could be vegans who do cross fit and use Arch Linux.  

You mean vegan superheroes who just lost a bunch of weight on some fad diet, come back from vacation, found out she's pregnant, do cross fit and use Arch Linux?

Just now, hkmaly said:

You mean vegan superheroes who just lost a bunch of weight on some fad diet, come back from vacation, found out she's pregnant, do cross fit and use Arch Linux?

Maybe.

52 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

I do hope "vegan superheros" refers to Todd Ingram in Scott Pilgrim vs the World.

35 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:
1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

I do hope "vegan superheros" refers to Todd Ingram in Scott Pilgrim vs the World.

You think he's pregnant? :)

4 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

Nope, chickens are omnivores.

It's a quote from the movie. Hence the quote marks. In context, Todd Ingram is asking the question, as he's getting busted by the vegan police. Also, he;s asking if eating chicken is vegan, not if chickens are vegan. Yes, he's that dumb. "I don't know the meaning of incorrigible!" Narration text pops up: "He doesn't."