• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Tom Sewell

Story Wednestay, March 4, 2020

So being an elitist, self centered, gate keeper is NOT a good thing?

How are we supposed to keep good art on the fringe of popular culture from becoming mainstream if we don't scoff at everyone who does not obsess over it from the beginning?

... didn't realized that Ashley would know exactly what the problem is due to her experience with labels in general. Obvious in hindsight. And should be applied to other labels so clearly someone will certainly suspect Dan is using "nerd" just to not be so obvious about it.

Also, damn this got as far from "party" as possible.

6 hours ago, hkmaly said:

... didn't realized that Ashley would know exactly what the problem is due to her experience with labels in general. Obvious in hindsight. And should be applied to other labels so clearly someone will certainly suspect Dan is using "nerd" just to not be so obvious about it.

Also, damn this got as far from "party" as possible.

What, The Dan be sneaky about stuff?  Say it isn't so!

I suspect the party will kick back off in a few strips, but I could be wrong.

Either that or Susan and Diane will tell their story and/or Elliot and Ellen will tell their story about The Night Everything Changed.  Or both.

I'm curious what kind of bad experiences Diane's had that lead her to associate nerds with elitist jerks, though this moment from "Legend of Diane" (last panel) does come to mind as a possibility. Behaviour such as Chad's can lead to more elitism, and if some of Diane's dates were like that, it could contribute to not only her definition of nerd, but also her jadedness and her own jerky behaviour.

10 hours ago, Scotty said:

I'm curious what kind of bad experiences Diane's had that lead her to associate nerds with elitist jerks, though this moment from "Legend of Diane" (last panel) does come to mind as a possibility. Behaviour such as Chad's can lead to more elitism, and if some of Diane's dates were like that, it could contribute to not only her definition of nerd, but also her jadedness and her own jerky behaviour.

Chad doesn't really look like typical nerd, I think that males in general are less socially observant and may have problems like totally missing that what you talk about doesn't interest the other person ... on the other hand, yeah it's quite possible she dated some nerds (she supposedly tried lot of dates) and found out how hard it is without shared interests ...

There's also the matter that typical homophobic culture being what it is, boys in most places are socially forbidden from becoming too socially observant--you get accused of acting "feminine" for caring too much about "sentimental" things instead of acting like Mr. Tough Guy.

29 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Chad doesn't really look like typical nerd, I think that males in general are less socially observant and may have problems like totally missing that what you talk about doesn't interest the other person ... on the other hand, yeah it's quite possible she dated some nerds (she supposedly tried lot of dates) and found out how hard it is without shared interests ...

Chad's need to show off his skills in a video game is something that a lot of elitist gamers are prone to do, they'll flaunt their ability and judge anyone who don't get on their level. One panel doesn't necessarily mean that Chad is one of those gamers of course, but it does show a symptom and potential for him to be one.

22 hours ago, ijuin said:

There's also the matter that typical homophobic culture being what it is, boys in most places are socially forbidden from becoming too socially observant--you get accused of acting "feminine" for caring too much about "sentimental" things instead of acting like Mr. Tough Guy.

Like, sure, caring too much about "sentimental" things is not socially allowed, but being socially observant is something different, and I would say that boys are totally allowed and even expected to be "soft" on girls.
On the other hand, while not directly forbidden, it's true that boys are not led to being socially observant either, and combined with the fact that until puberty they generally prefer to avoid girls and not try to understand someone so different ...

18 hours ago, Scotty said:

Chad's need to show off his skills in a video game is something that a lot of elitist gamers are prone to do, they'll flaunt their ability and judge anyone who don't get on their level. One panel doesn't necessarily mean that Chad is one of those gamers of course, but it does show a symptom and potential for him to be one.

Well, yes, but "combo" is from fighting game. I would expect nerds playing something where strategy, tactic and experience are more important than speed. But maybe it's just the kind of nerds I didn't met :)