• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
mlooney

Story Friday March 6 2020

Here is.

I like that Diane understands that her use of the term "Nerd" as an term of insult was insulting to people she didn't think it applied to. 

Now can we get back to magical hijinks?  :-)

Diane, as you grow in you understanding of yourself and in your empathy towards others there is one result you are very likely to discover...

You will NEVER run out of things for which you believe you should apologize

And remember, apologizing is only the first step

First, not everyone you may have wronged will be as ready as Justin to accept an simple heartfelt admission of guilt and then get on with life

You must next change your behavior to keep from doing or saying the offensive thing again, and then you must find some way to make amends or restitution and undertake a suitable act of penance or punishment

Any failure to accomplish these things will just be that much more for which you need to apologize

11 hours ago, mlooney said:

Here is.

I like that Diane understands that her use of the term "Nerd" as an term of insult was insulting to people she didn't think it applied to. 

Well, everyone's talking about the nerd;

Nerd, nerd, nerd is the word. ....

11 hours ago, mlooney said:

Well, Ashley seems ready to. And Diane would likely prefer it as well.

10 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Diane, as you grow in you understanding of yourself and in your empathy towards others there is one result you are very likely to discover...

You will NEVER run out of things for which you believe you should apologize

And remember, apologizing is only the first step

First, not everyone you may have wronged will be as ready as Justin to accept an simple heartfelt admission of guilt and then get on with life

You must next change your behavior to keep from doing or saying the offensive thing again, and then you must find some way to make amends or restitution and undertake a suitable act of penance or punishment

Any failure to accomplish these things will just be that much more for which you need to apologize

Depressing. Luckily she doesn't realize it yet.

I wonder if any of this will affect Susan, as she's pretty much as guilty of judging someone by label, and by that I mean cheerleaders . Seriously, we've seen 2 negative reactions to Diane being a cheerleader, and just like Ashley suggested that Diane's idea of what a nerd was could have come from a bad experience, we have an idea of where Susan got her idea about the kind of people cheerleaders are, either the woman Susan caught her dad with was a cheerleader herself, or Susan's mom called the woman a cheerleader as an insult, either way it would have had an impact on how Susan viewed cheerleaders in general.

Of course Susan also saw men in general negatively, but she's since dropped the "all men are pigs" attitude so I wouldn't doubt that she'd also eventually get over the idea that all cheerleaders are homewreckers.

18 hours ago, Scotty said:

I wonder if any of this will affect Susan, as she's pretty much as guilty of judging someone by label, and by that I mean cheerleaders . Seriously, we've seen 2 negative reactions to Diane being a cheerleader, and just like Ashley suggested that Diane's idea of what a nerd was could have come from a bad experience, we have an idea of where Susan got her idea about the kind of people cheerleaders are, either the woman Susan caught her dad with was a cheerleader herself, or Susan's mom called the woman a cheerleader as an insult, either way it would have had an impact on how Susan viewed cheerleaders in general.

I think there is difference, but maybe not so big ... and, well, Susan might be affected regardless.

Note that I don't see why would Susan's mom called the woman a cheerleader as an insult, but maybe she voiced her opinion on some cheerleaders comparing them to her.

18 hours ago, Scotty said:

Of course Susan also saw men in general negatively, but she's since dropped the "all men are pigs" attitude so I wouldn't doubt that she'd also eventually get over the idea that all cheerleaders are homewreckers.

Well, she only changed her opinion on men after knowing some. Diane has good opportunity to show her.

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

I think there is difference, but maybe not so big ... and, well, Susan might be affected regardless.

The circumstances around how each came to define the terms may be different, but how they applied that definition wouldn't be much different, in Susan's case she's held back on being vocal about it but that doesn't lessen her attitude towards cheerleaders.

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

Note that I don't see why would Susan's mom called the woman a cheerleader as an insult, but maybe she voiced her opinion on some cheerleaders comparing them to her.

This is mainly how I've seen some cases on TV, but it's probably not much of a stretch to have Mrs Pompoms saying something like "I go away for a few days to visit my sister only to come back and find out you've been sleeping around with some cheerleader!?", now we don't know how old the woman was but I'm guessing she wasn't in the same age range as Susan's parents and even a college aged woman could still be or get compared to a cheerleader.

I think at least part of Susan's prejudice against cheerleaders derives from people trying to make her name define her. As evidence: the fact that "Susan" is actually her middle name.

On 3/8/2020 at 2:24 PM, ijuin said:

Yes, she likely faced a lot of people teasing her about her name as a kid.

In 1969, Shel Silverstein wrote...

Some gal would giggle and I'd get red
And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head
I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named "Sue."

On 3/8/2020 at 7:24 PM, ijuin said:

Yes, she likely faced a lot of people teasing her about her name as a kid.

Of course she did. Who didn't?

I'm pretty sure there is not a single name completely immune to teasing.