• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
mlooney

NP Sat March 21 2020

So they jumped past awkward hand holding straight to kissing largely because the artists does not like drawing hands?

A lot of artists have expressed similar views on hands over the years

Except, of course, for MC Escher
He could get his hands to draw themselves
DrawingHands.jpg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/ba/DrawingHands.jpg

It's a good thing Dan didn't go with the hand holding part or else he'd have to censor it on the website and flag the HD version on patreon as Adult Content. ;)

For context, the EGS discord has a running gag going that hand holding is considered extremely lewd.

D'aaaawww ...

... goood, they managed to do it before Susan got here.

14 hours ago, mlooney said:

Awww, they are kissing.  Big damn kiss.  Young Love, it's so Awwww.

Now can we get on with the plot?

You should be glad they moved so fast.

11 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

So they jumped past awkward hand holding straight to kissing largely because the artists does not like drawing hands?

I wonder if the same is true for other relationships in EGS ...

8 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Well, not quite. Though it was certainly the case for Elliot and Ashley. I mean, I'm not sure if the reasoning was because drawing hands is hard, I was more pointing out the skipping of holding hands before kissing in general.

12 hours ago, Scotty said:
22 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Well, not quite.

Oh. Whole five strips between holding hands and kiss. And only one closeup. And not exactly good looking ...

Yay for sunburst/starburst background in panel three!

On 3/21/2020 at 8:42 AM, mlooney said:

I suppose that depends on if Dan has figured out the next part of the plot in enough detail to start in on it. Based on tweets and commentaries, several of the recent strips have been written last minute, and Dan has been suffering from a lot of writer's block. He hasn't said so outright that I can recall, but I think this Catalina+Rhoda romance sub-plot has been mostly filler (at least in the sense that Dan has been using it to stall for time).

On 3/23/2020 at 6:14 PM, ChronosCat said:
On 3/21/2020 at 1:42 PM, mlooney said:

I suppose that depends on if Dan has figured out the next part of the plot in enough detail to start in on it. Based on tweets and commentaries, several of the recent strips have been written last minute, and Dan has been suffering from a lot of writer's block. He hasn't said so outright that I can recall, but I think this Catalina+Rhoda romance sub-plot has been mostly filler (at least in the sense that Dan has been using it to stall for time).

That, and also I suspect that he LIKES drawing it, in a "it's relaxing" way. I think there was some tweet about it or something, considering I don't see it in any commentary ... I remember I was wondering if Dan ever gets to the point where he would be drawing more and more gracious fanservice just to relax :)

(Wait ... is gracious the right word? Alternative spellcheck offers would be gratuitous, but that can't be it as it's definitely called for.)

On 3/25/2020 at 0:35 AM, hkmaly said:

That, and also I suspect that he LIKES drawing it, in a "it's relaxing" way. I think there was some tweet about it or something, considering I don't see it in any commentary ... I remember I was wondering if Dan ever gets to the point where he would be drawing more and more gracious fanservice just to relax :)

(Wait ... is gracious the right word? Alternative spellcheck offers would be gratuitous, but that can't be it as it's definitely called for.)

I think you mean gratuitous. That means free, but is also used to mean putting it out there or excessive, depending on your tone. Gratuitous fan service would be boldly displaying fan service, and/or using it a lot.

Gracious means full of grace, kindness would be in the same vein.

6 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:
On 3/25/2020 at 5:35 AM, hkmaly said:

I think you mean gratuitous. That means free, but is also used to mean putting it out there or excessive, depending on your tone. Gratuitous fan service would be boldly displaying fan service, and/or using it a lot.

Gracious means full of grace, kindness would be in the same vein.

Ok. So google's dictionary is wrong.

9 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Ok. So google's dictionary is wrong.

No. Meaning two is the verbatim meaning, "it's free, no cost". Meaning one is an application, in line with "putting it out there or excessive, depending on your tone". I understand what they are saying when I read it, it's not out of line, but the degree, "Uncalled for; lacking good reason; unwarranted" has to do with the tone in which it is said.

If you said some web comic had gratuitous fan service, you might mean it is boldly displaying it, you would more likely mean it is excessive. You probably wouldn't mean uncalled for unless either the site was meant for children or you had a prudish outlook. But all would be possible meanings.

55 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:

If you said some web comic had gratuitous fan service, you might mean it is boldly displaying it, you would more likely mean it is excessive. You probably wouldn't mean uncalled for unless either the site was meant for children or you had a prudish outlook. But all would be possible meanings.

Hmmmm ... and when I don't want to say it's excessive?

9 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

If it  is fan service you want, check out this fan-art for Mark Stanley's Freefall

http://freefall.purrsia.com/abyother/Flofanservice2.jpg

50 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Doc of The White Board did similar fan service strips for April Fools day for a couple of  years.  Here is an example  and here is one.

12 hours ago, mlooney said:
23 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Strangely, TV Tropes makes no mention of HVAC repair on their Fanservice page.

Well, they should.

... noone here has account on TV Tropes?

12 hours ago, hkmaly said:

I used to have one, but I haven't logged in in years. Actually, I generally try to avoid the site these days, as the last few times I visited both their advertisements and their attempts to prevent you from using an add-blocker were intrusive and obnoxious.

On 4/1/2020 at 3:42 PM, ChronosCat said:
On 4/1/2020 at 3:10 AM, hkmaly said:

I used to have one, but I haven't logged in in years. Actually, I generally try to avoid the site these days, as the last few times I visited both their advertisements and their attempts to prevent you from using an add-blocker were intrusive and obnoxious.

... my adblocker must be magic. (Adblock Latitude)

6 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Websites are detecting ads being blocked and popping up warnings, some block contents. Does your ad blocker spoof past that? I think it should be fairly easy to do so, to make it seem from across the Web that you are rendering ads that you are discarding.

On 4/3/2020 at 0:32 PM, Darth Fluffy said:
On 4/3/2020 at 5:50 AM, hkmaly said:

Websites are detecting ads being blocked and popping up warnings, some block contents. Does your ad blocker spoof past that? I think it should be fairly easy to do so, to make it seem from across the Web that you are rendering ads that you are discarding.

I don't know, I didn't wrote it, I'm just using it.

But, I can confirm that I'm not getting warnings about blocking ads on tvtropes, nor any ads. Although according to list of blockable elements, only thing it's blocking is facebook and twitter.

So, like, where exactly do you see ads on tvtropes?