• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
hkmaly

Story Monday, Mar 30, 2020

https://www.egscomics.com/comic/party-138
Yes, you sounded sarcastic. Luckily, Grace seem to still have problems recognizing it. Still, it's not win unless it helps with Ashley. Also, you are still trying too hard to get Ashley's approval.

Also, I hope Dan wouldn't be working on weight loss too long. If the recent writer's block issues are caused by hunger ...

Note: Anybody knows where that hu-mon thing is from? I know mispronouncing human was used for Ferengi in Star Trek but that's unlikely to be first case.

4 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Yes, you sounded sarcastic. Luckily, Grace seem to still have problems recognizing it. Still, it's not win unless it helps with Ashley. Also, you are still trying too hard to get Ashley's approval.

Yeah it sounded sarcastic.  However it is likely to work, unless Grace has low blood sugar, in which case it's not going to really work.

2 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Grace needs to drink about fifteen Dr Peppers

Good way to

1. Hear your hair growing
  2. Have a big ass sugar crash

10 hours ago, hkmaly said:

https://www.egscomics.com/comic/party-138

Also, I hope Dan wouldn't be working on weight loss too long. If the recent writer's block issues are caused by hunger ...

Note: Anybody knows where that hu-mon thing is from? I know mispronouncing human was used for Ferengi in Star Trek but that's unlikely to be first case.

TV Tropes distinguishes between Trope Makers, " the first unambiguous example of a particular trope", Trope Namers, "widely known for the trope, so much that it is referred to as an example" (condensed and paraphrased), and Ur-Examples, predate the Trope Maker, but were not known for the trope, which may not have been recognized as such. Trope Codifier is in a similar vein as trope Namer, but is cited for usage and structure, rather than as an example; a work could be both.

The Ferengi saying 'hu-mon' would be the trope maker for me; I can't think of an earlier example, and when I first heard it used in conversation, that is the use I thought of. I had a boss that would say "We hu-mons don't do things that way." whenever upper management had a particularly unempathetic cranial flatus.

2 hours ago, Scotty said:

I only remember Hu-mon being a Ferengi thing. This isn't the first time for Grace either, back when Justin suggested that Grace apply for a job at Salty Crackers she asked if being a "Wo-man" would be a problem.

It's a bit wierd that that is the first time it came up in Star Trek, how many years into the franchise? Why didn't the Vul-cons Rum-u-luns, and Kilng-ons have similar issues? If you say "Universal Translator", why didn't that work with the Ferengi?

13 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:

It's a bit wierd that that is the first time it came up in Star Trek, how many years into the franchise? Why didn't the Vul-cons Rum-u-luns, and Kilng-ons have similar issues? If you say "Universal Translator", why didn't that work with the Ferengi?

That's why I don't think it's an actual translator deal, but more of a tone the Ferengi use when referring to humans, like they feel humans are inferior to them so they intentionally say it like that. There was a few cases where Quark said human normally but those cases were either when talking about humans in general conversation or in the rare occasion where he's showing actual respect. The "Hu-mon" way usually comes out when expressing more negative opinions.

8 hours ago, Scotty said:

This isn't the first time for Grace either, back when Justin suggested that Grace apply for a job at Salty Crackers she asked if being a "Wo-man" would be a problem.

That MIGHT be less this and more reaction to him saying they need someone to man the register.

5 hours ago, Scotty said:
6 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

That's why I don't think it's an actual translator deal, but more of a tone the Ferengi use when referring to humans, like they feel humans are inferior to them so they intentionally say it like that. There was a few cases where Quark said human normally but those cases were either when talking about humans in general conversation or in the rare occasion where he's showing actual respect. The "Hu-mon" way usually comes out when expressing more negative opinions.

According to https://scifi.stackexchange.com/questions/63716/why-do-the-ferengi-pronounce-human-the-way-they-do HooMon means "Poor Negotiator" or "Bad Merchant", which matches what Ferengi thinks about humans, so it may be sort of a pun for them.

In any case, I would say that there is intention behind this and the fact the Universal Translator is able to pick the difference is not a bug but proof of how good it is.

10 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

TV Tropes distinguishes between Trope Makers, " the first unambiguous example of a particular trope", Trope Namers, "widely known for the trope, so much that it is referred to as an example" (condensed and paraphrased), and Ur-Examples, predate the Trope Maker, but were not known for the trope, which may not have been recognized as such. Trope Codifier is in a similar vein as trope Namer, but is cited for usage and structure, rather than as an example; a work could be both.

The Ferengi saying 'hu-mon' would be the trope maker for me; I can't think of an earlier example, and when I first heard it used in conversation, that is the use I thought of. I had a boss that would say "We hu-mons don't do things that way." whenever upper management had a particularly unempathetic cranial flatus.

I'm not arguing against that, but I'm still interested in those older examples. I would be willing to believe if it first appeared in ST:TOS, but I'm sure it happened sooner than TNG.

Also, I got the feeling the first - or at least earlier - case should be related to "romance" ... I remember it was parodied in other comic with this relation ... oh right found it: http://www.errantstory.com/2008-02-11/768
This obviously was parodying something different than Ferengi, but what?

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

Also, I got the feeling the first - or at least earlier - case should be related to "romance" ... I remember it was parodied in other comic with this relation ... oh right found it: http://www.errantstory.com/2008-02-11/768

Perhaps not. The comicis newer than the ST episode. BTW, thanks for the link, the comic looks interesting.

1 hour ago, Darth Fluffy said:
2 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Perhaps not. The comicis newer than the ST episode.

It's newer, but the direction is too different.

1 hour ago, Darth Fluffy said:

BTW, thanks for the link, the comic looks interesting.

Of course it does :)

Want some more links? :)

Of course it does :)

Want some more links? :)

A few at a time is better. I have some I picked up this week, will add errant story.

Not necessarily, both are refering to races that are alien in context, and the author is probably geek enough to know the reference.

11 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:
15 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Not necessarily, both are refering to races that are alien in context, and the author is probably geek enough to know the reference.

But it's practically opposite. Ferengi use it because they despise humans, this case is supposed to show admiration.

2 hours ago, hkmaly said:

..., this case is supposed to show admiration.

That detail I missed. I did not get the impression from what I read that was even the case, but I'll check out the comic.

47 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:
3 hours ago, hkmaly said:

..., this case is supposed to show admiration.

That detail I missed. I did not get the impression from what I read that was even the case, but I'll check out the comic.

It's not said directly, but seems pretty obvious that the line "teach me of this thing, strangely appealing hu-man" is either direct quote or heavily inspired by quote from play, which likely features human male lead and female elf lead who ends up having romance with lot of sex, possibly even not just implied.
Anyway, "strangely appealing" is admiration by itself. Not from Sarine of course, she speaks sarcastically, but from the one saying the original quote.

10 hours ago, hkmaly said:

It's not said directly, but seems pretty obvious that the line "teach me of this thing, strangely appealing hu-man" is either direct quote or heavily inspired by quote from play, which likely features human male lead and female elf lead who ends up having romance with lot of sex, possibly even not just implied.
Anyway, "strangely appealing" is admiration by itself. Not from Sarine of course, she speaks sarcastically, but from the one saying the original quote.

Well, yes, I got the sarcasm part.