• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Pharaoh RutinTutin

Sorry I've been out of touch

Sorry I've been out of touch for the last month.

A lot of little problems just got in the way of getting my internet connextion fixed.  And I'm still not reliably back yet.

Anyhow, I saw a sign in the restaurant that seemed appropriate.

"All our customers make us happy.

Some make us happy when they enter.

Some make us happy when they leave."

I hope I'm still in the "happy when they enter" group.

At 5k years I'd be a bit worried about the alcohol to vinegar balance.let's not for get alcohol ferments to vinegar. Well if it's alcohol and if it's distilled enough (not as hard as you'd think) "rocket fuel" is doable.

35 minutes ago, PSadlon said:

At 5k years I'd be a bit worried about the alcohol to vinegar balance.let's not for get alcohol ferments to vinegar. Well if it's alcohol and if it's distilled enough (not as hard as you'd think) "rocket fuel" is doable.

Anything over 50% alcohol (100 proof) is potentially usable as a fuel in a suitably-designed engine - provided you do not try to mix it with hydrocarbons.

Purifying alcohol to 50% to 80% purity isn't hard or particularly energy-intensive if you have equipment designed for it. I've seen solar-powered still designs that do the job.

If you want to mix the alcohol with hydrocarbons, you need something like 99.5% pure alcohol. That is quite difficult and quite energy-intensive.

57.15% (which is also 12/13ths or 0.923076923 specific gravity) or above using the old gunpowder test as a standard for 100 proof. Most countries the 4/7ths (57.14%) scale for proof because it's close enough to accurate while being easier to calculate than 57.15%. The US simplified it down to proof is twice percentage. By US standard alcohol isn't flammable until it's 114.3 proof.

• 100 proof = 57.15% ABV according to science
  • 100 proof = 57.14% ABV according to the laws of most countries
  • 100 proof = 50% ABV according to the US laws

According to science & and most countries laws, 100% ABV (if it were feasible) would be about 175 proof while in the US it would be 200 proof. Since 100% ABV is not feasible, rectified alcohol achieves a maximum of 95.6% ABV which is about 167.3 proof by science or most most countries laws or 191.2 proof in the US.

Well the values I gave will reduce the risk of it from accidently happening. If he decided to do it on purpose, he's likely use the highest proof he could find or gas or something widely know to be able to do the job.

Beer was frequently brewed and consumed back in pre-dynastic Egypt.  And winemaking showed up in the Old Kingdom about the same time Joseph convinced Pharaoh to allow the other children of Israel to settle in the Nile Valley.  Distilled liquor and purified alcohol didn't play much part in the Two Kingdoms until much later.

So if you find any flammable potables in the Valley of the Kings, it was probably left behind by an archaeologist.

Or maybe an archaeopteryx?

On 13/11/2016 at 8:35 PM, The Old Hack said:

I don't care about proof values. If you guys blow up the Pharaoh or light him on fire, you are in trouble. :demonicduck:

Eh, he'll survive.

I do, regularly.