• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
mlooney

NP Tues April 7 2020

21 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:
21 hours ago, ijuin said:

A good point--we do not have any information that Elves are resistant to mundane forms of death other than the kind that comes from Old Age. They might succumb to disease, accidents, etc. much like Mortal humans, barring any magic-based protection.

Tedd has mentioned (s)he doesn't like using magic for medical-ish reasons, but never explained why. It could be something like Bilbo and the One Ring, his life is lengthened, but at a cost; it was described like stretching what life he had, rather than adding to it.

I find that unlikely, but it's true we can't rule it out based on (lack of) information in comic.

So genetically, immortals can breed with humans. This does not exactly say that they were once human, but it kind of leads that way; like they might be some sort of ascended human, awakened ++.

Not necessarily. It's possible immortals were created from human imagination and therefore based on humans. It's possible they intentionally mimic humans up to the ability to breed with them - it can be something original immortals did and then forgot (it's quite likely that every immortal currently living went through forced reset sometime in past).

I'm guessing that Dan will decide on a canon backstory if and when it's necessary.

I'm guessing Dan wouldn't decide even if someone would make HIM immortal.

Also, I suspect that he will avoid the question of medical application of magic, because his reason why it doesn't work is that if it would work it would be nasty from DGB to keep that secret ... but there is no in-universe reason why that couldn't work, or why can't Sarah use her 17-year old saved form to live forever. As-is, he can just avoid the topic by not having any character hurt or old enough for the question to appear in comic.

If I would be writing the comics, I would say that it didn't worked before the reset but works now, because generally magic should be working more logically without the explicit changes Will of Magic was doing to keep it secret. But I'm not, so ...

21 hours ago, hkmaly said:

You don't know what sex between two immortals produce.

Did you see the question, "If so, can they have sex without involving a mortal?" ?  Not only do we not know what sex between two immortals produces, we don't know that they can or do have sex with each other. Canon is they are aware of each other, but mostly avoid each other as a threat, don't treat each other particularly well (what we would call low social skills) and occasionally hang out as a couple, which could be like spousal, or could be sibs, or something else? So even if it is possible, it may be something they generally do not desire.

If not for Helena and Demetrius, we could assume they live alone, but with them, there is question about whose behaviour is more common. I even raised question if Voltaire isn't targeting Pandora because she's his ex.

But yes, even if they are not siblings in traditional sense, it's possible that fairies see each other as siblings and don't develop romantic feeling for them.

Or they consider each other too dangerous to get intimate with.

It might be something like they have to become physical, and very vulnerable, to have sex.

That would be true even for sex with mortal :)

What they produce, if anything, should be not human, and not an elf, since how those are made is defined in canon. So I'm guessing, another immortal, or a different kind of elf that was overlooked.

Yes, it's either another fairy or something not named yet, which may be even more dangerous than Elf.

Or maybe an aberration. That would fit, low ethical standards and such, but seems unlikely.

Very unlikely, also it was explicitly said that aberrations used to be humans.

AFAIK, the prime argument against using magic to "fix" medical issues was that any given transformation could potentially terminate at a bad time (i.e. whenever the person or device powering it runs out of energy), which would be VERY BAD if you were depending on the transformation in order to stay alive--it's like having a pacemaker with a battery, only you have no idea of when the battery will die. Let's say for example that Sarah uses her seventeen-year-old form to remain young for 200 years. If the transformation were to wear off for even a moment, then she would be in a 220-year-old body, which might not be capable of surviving long enough to recast the transformation.

18 hours ago, ijuin said:

AFAIK, the prime argument against using magic to "fix" medical issues was that any given transformation could potentially terminate at a bad time (i.e. whenever the person or device powering it runs out of energy), which would be VERY BAD if you were depending on the transformation in order to stay alive--it's like having a pacemaker with a battery, only you have no idea of when the battery will die. Let's say for example that Sarah uses her seventeen-year-old form to remain young for 200 years. If the transformation were to wear off for even a moment, then she would be in a 220-year-old body, which might not be capable of surviving long enough to recast the transformation.

That's good argument against using enchantments for healing ... but you are missing one detail: Tedd already mentioned he knows how to make permanent transformations, based on her ability to permanently change gender.

15 hours ago, Haylo said:

Maybe "encouraging" healing? A ninety-year-old Sarah with a broken hip still having to heal normally, but at 17-year-old rates?

That would be another option, yes.

11 hours ago, hkmaly said:

That's good argument against using enchantments for healing ... but you are missing one detail: Tedd already mentioned he knows how to make permanent transformations, based on her ability to permanently change gender.

There's also the possibility that holding onto a transformation too long could make it permanent too. I think Dan said that transformations don't effect things like injuries though, like you can't just morph away a broken leg or stab wound.

Pandora had implied once that Ashley could be given a spell that healed papercuts, I suspect there are more powerful versions that a person could get, Dan might just prefer to go that route which is more realistic, in terms of being in a world where Magic exists that is.

8 hours ago, Scotty said:
20 hours ago, hkmaly said:

There's also the possibility that holding onto a transformation too long could make it permanent too.

I think that this is only true about different kind of enchantments than what Tedd is currently using, but yes it would be relevant ...

I think Dan said that transformations don't effect things like injuries though, like you can't just morph away a broken leg or stab wound.

Why not? I mean, sure, we don't know how transformation works in first place, but it's seem it's even more arbitrary than the general transformation safety unless you are Vlad.

Pandora had implied once that Ashley could be given a spell that healed papercuts, I suspect there are more powerful versions that a person could get, Dan might just prefer to go that route which is more realistic, in terms of being in a world where Magic exists that is.

Yeah, of course, there would be specific healing spells too (instead of using enchantments).

What if the magical aspect of healing were controlled by a group of immortals, elves, and wizards that kept this information separate from the larger community of magic users?

Perhaps they are bound by some sort of ancient oath?

Such a healer would be reluctant (if not prohibited) from casting healing spells in public lest a wand maker like Tedd copy that spell, especially if there is a chance that the wand maker might get some part of it wrong

I swear by Apollo Physician, by Asclepius, by Hygieia, by Panacea, and by all the gods and goddesses, making them my witnesses, that I will carry out, according to my ability and judgment, this oath and this indenture

1 hour ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

What if the magical aspect of healing were controlled by a group of immortals, elves, and wizards that kept this information separate from the larger community of magic users?

Perhaps they are bound by some sort of ancient oath?

Such a healer would be reluctant (if not prohibited) from casting healing spells in public lest a wand maker like Tedd copy that spell, especially if there is a chance that the wand maker might get some part of it wrong

What would be motivation of that limitation?

1 hour ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

I swear by Apollo Physician, by Asclepius, by Hygieia, by Panacea, and by all the gods and goddesses, making them my witnesses, that I will carry out, according to my ability and judgment, this oath and this indenture

I think they should've left this part in.