• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
mlooney

Story Wed April 8 2020

Here is.

Elliot takes the easy way out.  Says the there was a change, but it didn't change any thing you can currently do, but added some other things back in.  Susan tosses it into the "talk about much later" pile.

Looks like I get a cookie.

Though still certain it will come up again before the party's over, nooooooo... I'm not basing this on what the commentary says.

28 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Though still certain it will come up again before the party's over, nooooooo... I'm not basing this on what the commentary says.

Yeah, that would seem to be the case, both on the cookie and it coming up before the end of the party.

49 minutes ago, Scotty said:

When I said I don't believe Elliot is able to say that, I totally underestimated how he can weaponize his incompetence.

He actually managed to confuse Susan with his explanation enough she didn't get more from him before she realized she doesn't actually want to talk about it.

Also, yes: meta reasons say this party can't end without everything being said, but seems Dan wants to wait for even better opportunity.

11 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

He actually managed to confuse Susan with his explanation enough she didn't get more from him before she realized she doesn't actually want to talk about it.

He did get the "nothing you can do has changed, but there are some other changes out there.  Tedd knows more, but it's about The Night In Question".  Once she heard that she was willing to wait.  I don't thinks she was confused.

17 minutes ago, mlooney said:
31 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

He did get the "nothing you can do has changed, but there are some other changes out there.  Tedd knows more, but it's about The Night In Question".  Once she heard that she was willing to wait.  I don't thinks she was confused.

I present following counterpoint: "Other things?"

He's deliberately more vague than he would normally be, and pretends the reason is that he's that incompetent.

Just now, hkmaly said:

Which he gave the thumbnail description of.  She might not know everything about the change in magic, but she knows almost as much as Elliot does at this point and I don't think after the whole of the exchange between her and Elliot she was confused.  Unless you are equating confused with "knows she doesn't know the whole story and has decided that knowing the whole story can wait".  

3 minutes ago, mlooney said:
7 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Which he gave the thumbnail description of.  She might not know everything about the change in magic, but she knows almost as much as Elliot does at this point and I don't think after the whole of the exchange between her and Elliot she was confused.  Unless you are equating confused with "knows she doesn't know the whole story and has decided that knowing the whole story can wait".  

I don't believe Elliot knows as little as he said. Just the stuff he though about in all those panels is more info!

And yes, I didn't meant she ended confused, just that she realized it's related to stuff she doesn't want to talk about before her confusion cleared.

32 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

When I said I don't believe Elliot is able to say that, I totally underestimated how he can weaponize his incompetence.

1 minute ago, hkmaly said:
16 minutes ago, mlooney said:
30 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Elliot calls this method "incompetence" but it's actually a really smart way of handling this, as I said before, Elliot knows that Susan doesn't want to get into detail about what happened that night so she said just enough to ease Susan's fear of losing her magic, but at the same time letting Susan know "there's more to it but it involves stuff you don't want to talk about yet so we'll leave it at that."

6 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

I don't believe Elliot knows as little as he said. Just the stuff he though about in all those panels is more info!

The only thing he knows that he didn't tell her about was that the change was due to Pandora's final act, which he sorta touched on any way.

I really don't get why Elliot is calling this "incompetence". Unless you're teaching, telling a long story, or have been asked for a detailed explanation, summarizing the most important points is usually the best way to go (and even in those cases, it's a good place to start).

About the only incompetent thing about this is him calling the magic change "weird", which combined with the "Tedd can explain it better" makes it sound like he doesn't understand it; in his head this is probably playing dumb, while in my mind it's not the best choice because whether it's weird (or Elliot understands it) is not an essential point.

On 4/9/2020 at 3:18 AM, Scotty said:

Elliot calls this method "incompetence" but it's actually a really smart way of handling this, as I said before, Elliot knows that Susan doesn't want to get into detail about what happened that night so she said just enough to ease Susan's fear of losing her magic, but at the same time letting Susan know "there's more to it but it involves stuff you don't want to talk about yet so we'll leave it at that."

The method is to PRETEND incompetence. He pretends he's even more incompetent than he is, which is believable because he's quite incompetent in many regards.

And, yes, it's actually quite clever. Not speaking about the fact that it worked.

On 4/9/2020 at 3:24 AM, mlooney said:
On 4/9/2020 at 3:16 AM, hkmaly said:

The only thing he knows that he didn't tell her about was that the change was due to Pandora's final act, which he sorta touched on any way.

He also knows the books changed, for example. And I think that they did talked about it with Tedd already and that he did understood more from it than he pretends to.

9 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

About the only incompetent thing about this is him calling the magic change "weird", which combined with the "Tedd can explain it better" makes it sound like he doesn't understand it; in his head this is probably playing dumb, while in my mind it's not the best choice because whether it's weird (or Elliot understands it) is not an essential point.

Exactly, he's playing dumb and he's not even that good in it.

2 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

He also knows the books changed, for example.

I forgot about that.  I would think that Susan would be checking her book more often, now that she knows that it can change with out her knowing it.

17 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

I really don't get why Elliot is calling this "incompetence". Unless you're teaching, telling a long story, or have been asked for a detailed explanation, summarizing the most important points is usually the best way to go (and even in those cases, it's a good place to start).

About the only incompetent thing about this is him calling the magic change "weird", which combined with the "Tedd can explain it better" makes it sound like he doesn't understand it; in his head this is probably playing dumb, while in my mind it's not the best choice because whether it's weird (or Elliot understands it) is not an essential point

His use of the word 'incompetent' is incompetent, so it's true.

11 hours ago, mlooney said:
11 hours ago, hkmaly said:

He also knows the books changed, for example.

I forgot about that.  I would think that Susan would be checking her book more often, now that she knows that it can change with out her knowing it.

Maybe she does. Which would mean she will realize it's likely to be connected quite fast after already knowing that something DID happened.

On the other hand, maybe she WAS checking her book more often exactly UNTIL the events at mall. Maybe checking the book would only remind her what happened so she's avoiding it. It would be especially true if she would suspect she got some combat spell from that.

4 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Maybe checking the book would only remind her what happened so she's avoiding it. It would be especially true if she would suspect she got some combat spell from that.

Hand not thought of that aspect. Makes sense.

13 hours ago, mlooney said:

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

Maybe she does. Which would mean she will realize it's likely to be connected quite fast after already knowing that something DID happened.

On the other hand, maybe she WAS checking her book more often exactly UNTIL the events at mall. Maybe checking the book would only remind her what happened so she's avoiding it. It would be especially true if she would suspect she got some combat spell from that.

Dan has stated that Susan hasn't been in the mood to check her spellbook (and probably hasn't even used her magic) since that night, so it's fair to say she doesn't know it's changed yet.

https://twitter.com/elgoonishshive/status/1248046611818831875

Of course, the week before the incident Susan was just made aware that she had to check her book to see if she got any new spells or how they worked, so she's really only had like 5-6 (if she happened to check it the day of the incident) days where she'd be most likely to read her spellbook.

39 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Dan has stated that Susan hasn't been in the mood to check her spellbook (and probably hasn't even used her magic) since that night, so it's fair to say she doesn't know it's changed yet.

While not saying this is right in Susan's case, The Dan has also said that unless it happens in the comic, it's not canon.

10 minutes ago, mlooney said:

While not saying this is right in Susan's case, The Dan has also said that unless it happens in the comic, it's not canon.

I think the fact that it is canon that Susan hadn't felt like checking her spell book due to awakening being cause by an emotional breakdown, it wouldn't be a stretch at all to believe than another emotional breakdown would cause her to lapse.

Oh also, I think this page probably confirms she'd checked her spellbook after getting her new dolls.

5 minutes ago, Scotty said:

I think the fact that it is canon that Susan hadn't felt like checking her spell book due to awakening being cause by an emotional breakdown, it wouldn't be a stretch at all to believe than another emotional breakdown would cause her to lapse.

Oh, no question about that, I was just commenting on The Dan's stated policy on what is or isn't canon.  Death of the Author and all that.

Just now, mlooney said:

Oh, no question about that, I was just commenting on The Dan's stated policy on what is or isn't canon.  Death of the Author and all that.

I added another line to my post that you might have missed while responding.

18 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Oh also, I think this page probably confirms she'd checked her spellbook after getting her new dolls.

She also confirmed that she had read her spellbook when Justin was talking to her about Diane.  Granted that was a read right after she found out she should read it from time to time.  The spell for a magical weapon designed to work vs aberrations that you reference would be new. 

17 minutes ago, mlooney said:

She also confirmed that she had read her spellbook when Justin was talking to her about Diane.  Granted that was a read right after she found out she should read it from time to time.  The spell for a magical weapon designed to work vs aberrations that you reference would be new. 

Both instances were the same week though, between Playing with Dolls and the aberration attack, she must have looked at her book right after getting home from Tedd's or else how would she have found out she could summon multiple fairies.

Just now, Scotty said:

Both instances were the same week though, between Playing with Dolls and the aberration attack, she must have looked at her book right after getting home from Tedd's or else how would she have found out she could summon multiple fairies.

It's possible that both spells were in the book when she read it.