• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
mlooney

Story Wed April 8 2020

Just now, mlooney said:

It's possible that both spells were in the book when she read it.  

I suspect her spell book isn't loaded with a lot of spells anyway, we know she got the hammers, and likely the spell for summoning things out of specified storage, and I wanna believe that the fairies are it's own spell that hooks into the summon from storage spell, rather than it being a subspell, though if weapons summoned have added features, then maybe fairies aren't that different and it may just be those two spells, and she saw the part about the weapon aura as she was looking for the fairy stuff.

Just now, Scotty said:

I suspect her spell book isn't loaded with a lot of spells anyway, we know she got the hammers, and likely the spell for summoning things out of specified storage, and I wanna believe that the fairies are it's own spell that hooks into the summon from storage spell, rather than it being a subspell, though if weapons summoned have added features, then maybe fairies aren't that different and it may just be those two spells, and she saw the part about the weapon aura as she was looking for the fairy stuff.

I'm thinking that the magical aura spell is a new spell vs the generic summon something from the box spell.

1 minute ago, mlooney said:

I'm thinking that the magical aura spell is a new spell vs the generic summon something from the box spell.

that would suggest that Susan cast 2 spells simultaneously though, summoning the sword, and applying the aura. even my limited D&D knowledge tells me that should take 2 separate actions.

3 hours ago, Scotty said:

that would suggest that Susan cast 2 spells simultaneously though, summoning the sword, and applying the aura. even my limited D&D knowledge tells me that should take 2 separate actions.

I'm thinking she has "thing from the box" and "magic sword" as separate spells.

7 minutes ago, mlooney said:

The thing is, any weapon summoned from the box is magic already, I think mainly what the aura means is that the sword should last longer when fighting aberrations, because normally a summoned weapon would go poof after hitting someone/thing but during the mall fight, Susan took out one vampire and Adrian took out 2 more and the sword remained. that kind of an effect doesn't really require a whole new spell, especially if the fairies are still considered "summon from box" entities and yet she could potentially use them like Nanase's fairy avatar.

5 hours ago, Scotty said:
5 hours ago, mlooney said:

I wonder if the difference between spell and subspell is some objective truth or just how Nanase read the book :)

Yes, it's possible she has two spells - hammers and summoning from the storage, with both fairy and the sword aura being subspells of summoning from storage. On the other hand it may also be four spells. Or maybe she has dozens spells, with most being just special variant of the basic summoning from storage and are not really notable.

Remember Ellen.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:
1 hour ago, mlooney said:

The thing is, any weapon summoned from the box is magic already, I think mainly what the aura means is that the sword should last longer when fighting aberrations, because normally a summoned weapon would go poof after hitting someone/thing but during the mall fight, Susan took out one vampire and Adrian took out 2 more and the sword remained. that kind of an effect doesn't really require a whole new spell, especially if the fairies are still considered "summon from box" entities and yet she could potentially use them like Nanase's fairy avatar.

It's possible there are other effects but yes, the durability enhancement would be main one.

5 hours ago, mlooney said:

Both instances were the same week though, between Playing with Dolls and the aberration attack, she must have looked at her book right after getting home from Tedd's or else how would she have found out she could summon multiple fairies.

It would be more likely than getting another spell in the exact week she started reading the book, on the other hand she also used her magic more during that week ...

D&D rules are totally irrelevant for EGS.

16 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Remember Ellen.

Yeah she's got a lot a different beams, but also each of them has conditionals in terms of hand gestures, I don't think she'd have duplicate spells for each gesture.

It'd make just as much sense if Susan could summon a fairy, and then choose to inhabit it without having to dismiss and use a different summoning spell that specifically allows it. Also doing spells like that would make other spells obsolete, like if she can summon weapons that last longer or are more effective, and fairies that have more features available, as completely different spells, then it kinda makes the "summon stuff from a box" spell obsolete. Having 1 spell that adds features the more it gets used works just as well if not better because at least the caster doesn't have to worry about things like "oops I meant to use the spell that summons the more powerful sword, not the original one"

46 minutes ago, Scotty said:
1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

Remember Ellen.

Yeah she's got a lot a different beams, but also each of them has conditionals in terms of hand gestures, I don't think she'd have duplicate spells for each gesture.

Probably not, but logically, I would expect all those beams would be variant of single spell, not multiple spells. Meaning, it's not divided logically, or possibly there is something we don't know which makes the division of spells more logical.

48 minutes ago, Scotty said:

It'd make just as much sense if Susan could summon a fairy, and then choose to inhabit it without having to dismiss and use a different summoning spell that specifically allows it.

It would make more sense, but we are not sure if "sense" is something taken into account when forming the spells.

49 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Also doing spells like that would make other spells obsolete, like if she can summon weapons that last longer or are more effective, and fairies that have more features available, as completely different spells, then it kinda makes the "summon stuff from a box" spell obsolete.

Not completely, as the new enhanced "summon weapon" spell may not work on tools.

50 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Having 1 spell that adds features the more it gets used works just as well if not better because at least the caster doesn't have to worry about things like "oops I meant to use the spell that summons the more powerful sword, not the original one"

Yes it would make sense but that doesn't necessary means it actually works that way.