• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
mlooney

Story Monday April 13 2020

Here is.

Some nice world building today, or as I say some times, lots to unpack.

Chief points or questions are

1) Tedd can forget spells.

2) Why does Elliot want a wand with his own spell on it?

I can read a book and enjoy it
Tomorrow I could probably tell you quite a bit about the book
But I would not remember every detail

Apparently Tedd's ability to analyze magic is in some way similar

And what would the advantage be to have a wand with a spell similar to what Elliot is already using?
Unless...

Elliot wants to use this ability on other people

12 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

That seems to be the case here.  That actually makes me feel better about Tedd's abilities 

13 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

And what would the advantage be to have a wand with a spell similar to what Elliot is already using?
Unless...

Elliot wants to use this ability on other people

OK, why would he want to do that?  Is he still thinking about the trans person that contacted him?

He's asking for a variant of his spell where what he has to think about is different and presumably either less complex or more in tune with the way his thought processes naturally run - or perhaps a bit of both.

4 hours ago, mlooney said:

1 hour ago, Don Edwards said:

He's asking for a variant of his spell where what he has to think about is different and presumably either less complex or more in tune with the way his thought processes naturally run - or perhaps a bit of both.

https://twitter.com/elgoonishshive/status/1249756966286757888

We're going to have Elliot explain next comic anyway, but yeah seems like this would be the reason Elliot would like a wand.

5 hours ago, mlooney said:

I'm a little less certain after reading Scotty's latest post, but my guess is he wants it for Ashley - either for him to use on her with her permission, or for her to use for herself.

Just now, ChronosCat said:

I'm a little less certain after reading Scotty's latest post, but my guess is he wants it for Ashley - either for him to use on her with her permission, or for her to use for herself.

That might be the case, and makes the most sense of the various reasons he might want it.

7 hours ago, mlooney said:

I think this has to do with his concern about loosing the ability to transform.

Just now, Darth Fluffy said:

But Elliot knows that's not possible now, at least the "Magic Change" threat is no longer a factor, dunno any other way Elliot would lose the ability to use magic. Even if areas with low ambient energy, Elliot's own energy should provide enough to transform a few times a day before he needs to rest.

48 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:

44 minutes ago, Scotty said:

But Elliot knows that's not possible now, at least the "Magic Change" threat is no longer a factor, dunno any other way Elliot would lose the ability to use magic. Even if areas with low ambient energy, Elliot's own energy should provide enough to transform a few times a day before he needs to rest.

I'm not seeing Elliot wanting a wand because he thinks he might lose the ability to gender swap.  The best answer as to why is so he can let Ashley change form until she becomes a wizard with enough power to do it herself.  Of course we are dealing with The Dan, who has a 3rd reason lined up for us...

18 minutes ago, mlooney said:

The best answer as to why is so he can let Ashley change form until she becomes a wizard with enough power to do it herself.  Of course we are dealing with The Dan, who has a 3rd reason lined up for us...

The tweet I linked earlier referenced the comic where Elliot is explaining how tricky it can be to tweak some features without going overboard with others, and there was also the problem certain features defaulting to "FV5" at bad times, so it would seem like Elliot's asking for a wand with a spell that won't default to an "FV5" figure if Elliot only wants to change face/hair/eyes/etc.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

You are thinking logically. I hear Elliot reacting from his gut. But maybe it is about Ashley.

6 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:

You are thinking logically. I hear Elliot reacting from his gut. But maybe it is about Ashley.

I just don't see how a twitter thread where Dan wonders if he ever had Elliot explain why he chose something a simple as blonde hair for being able to differentiate from Ellen and the need to elaborate about it in an upcoming comic as "he totally wants a wand for Ashley".

Elliot reacting from his gut would more likely be "a spell with little chance of messing up? I'll take it!"

21 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Elliot reacting from his gut would more likely be "a spell with little chance of messing up? I'll take it!"

I'm running both ways on this as I can see both options as being why Elliot would want a wand.  That being said, I still think that there will end up being a 3rd option which we haven't considered as to why.

9 minutes ago, mlooney said:

I'm running both ways on this as I can see both options as being why Elliot would want a wand.  That being said, I still think that there will end up being a 3rd option which we haven't considered as to why.

Yes, the glass is too big.

9 hours ago, mlooney said:
10 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

That seems to be the case here.  That actually makes me feel better about Tedd's abilities 

Yes, it would actually be weirder if Tedd remembered every detail of every spell he saw. Apparently, what he knows about spells is subject to the same memory abilities as everything else he remembers.

Note that he probably WOULD be able to make the wand with Elliot's spells as he remembers it, but he consider safer to look again than to make imperfect copy.

... hmmm ... the technologies around his gauntlet, they would be able to store spells verbatim, wouldn't they?

1 hour ago, mlooney said:
1 hour ago, Scotty said:

I'm actually seeing it like this:
"Why you want your own spell ... You want it for Ashley right?"

"Oh, that would be also good idea ... but I was actually thinking about it being easier to not end up looking as Ellen"

53 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Yes, the glass is too big.

At least is not bottom-half-empty. That combination is dangerous.

2 hours ago, hkmaly said:

I'm actually seeing it like this:
"Why you want your own spell ... You want it for Ashley right?"

"Oh, that would be also good idea ... but I was actually thinking about it being easier to not end up looking as Ellen"

Why does this make me giggle?

On 4/15/2020 at 10:55 AM, mlooney said:

It's too bad it's almost impossible to set up that as a real experiment.

Many videos. I liked this quick one.

Water hammer can burst plumbing. Good plumbing design incorporates trapped air 'springs' to absorb the shock to mitigate breakage. My parent's home had that, two coiled copper tubes with trapped air, capped, one for hot and one for cold. The coiling was to save space, not for function. We did not have a water hammer problem there, unlike other places I've lived.

Just now, Darth Fluffy said:

Water hammer can burst plumbing

Not arguing that water hammer isn't a thing, it is.  What I meant was it was very hard, if not impossible to create a vacuum that was "half a glass" in size with water on top of it.  Sorry for any confusion I may have causes.

It would require some cleverness. Maybe  a wax plug or ice plug, something that could hold a vacuum and then melt away. You'd need to drill a port to evacuate the bottom half, either in the plug or in the glass.

You could simulate it with a small pine board with a groove to fit the top of a glass, a hole for a column of water, a valve on the column and a port on the board for a vacuum pump. You'd grease the lip of the glass, fit on the board, fit the pipe on top of the board, with the valve near the bottom of the pipe. Suck out the air, cap off the port, then (with due care, and safety glasses and gloves, open the valve. It wouldn't work exactly the same, but it would be close enough.

9 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:

It would require some cleverness. Maybe  a wax plug or ice plug, something that could hold a vacuum and then melt away. You'd need to drill a port to evacuate the bottom half, either in the plug or in the glass.

That might work.  I suspect that a wax plug would work better than ice as it has a higher melting point, but one that is low enough that it could be done from the outside of the "glass".

14 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

You think small (granted, may be more practical).

Instead, you should put the glass and the vax/ice plumb inside bigger container, evacuate whole container, put vax/ice plumb inside the glass, open the container, pour water on the plumb.

Hmmm ... alternative to vax/ice would be something like salt or sugar which the water will simply dissolve. Harder to time, though.