• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
hkmaly

Story Monday, May 4, 2020

https://www.egscomics.com/comic/party-151

Ok, so which reader complain is Susan voicing? Oh. It's in the commentary. '"Multiple". Right.

Also, Sarah leaning against the sofa like that might be interesting but it also suggest that they are standing suboptimally.

Personally, I didn't have problem with previous version but I totally agree that English is bad for this. In fact, it's already bad for trans people and this is another level. Also for non-binary people. And yes, it would be problem with most if not all human languages.
Another thing which human languages are ill-equipped to dead with is time travel. Technically, English has more than enough tenses for that, but it still doesn't work correctly. Hopefully, when time travel becomes as common as trans and non-binary people today, we will manage to extend English more logically than we now do with non-binary people. Seriously, singular they is NOT the best option, the precedent of replacing thou with singular you notwithstanding ... (of course, seems most people who use it prefer it to alternatives so we likely end with it ...)

Personally, I would say that "man" and "woman" refer to self-identity, while "male" and "female" refer to the body, but everybody has their own preferred terminology. What matters is making clear the distinction between body and identity.

I'd go with the "masculine" and "feminine" terms for body forms and leave male and female for gender.  Of course being a cis-het male it had not dawned on me that we needed a separate set of terms to deal with body form vs your gender.  Once it's been mentioned to me I can see the point and agree that English, like most languages, is missing an important set of words for dealing with this.

7 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Ok, so which reader complain is Susan voicing? Oh. It's in the commentary. '"Multiple". Right.

The commentary also names Maplestrip as having made the suggestion, I don't think they frequent the forums anymore, but they are active on discord.

Also, Sarah leaning against the sofa like that might be interesting but it also suggest that they are standing suboptimally.

Dan calls it leaning, but she's probably more semi-seated on the arm of the sofa, I don't think you could properly lean on something like, she certainly could if she was half scale again.

Personally, I didn't have problem with previous version but I totally agree that English is bad for this. In fact, it's already bad for trans people and this is another level. Also for non-binary people. And yes, it would be problem with most if not all human languages.
Another thing which human languages are ill-equipped to dead with is time travel. Technically, English has more than enough tenses for that, but it still doesn't work correctly. Hopefully, when time travel becomes as common as trans and non-binary people today, we will manage to extend English more logically than we now do with non-binary people. Seriously, singular they is NOT the best option, the precedent of replacing thou with singular you notwithstanding ... (of course, seems most people who use it prefer it to alternatives so we likely end with it ...)

This pretty much goes back to the idea of labels being too much of a catchall and not properly describing individuals, like Dan said in the commentary even addressing it this way isn't going to make everyone happy because not everyone has the same preference for how they'd like to be called and such, and at the same time, you can't fault Dan for not knowing who all prefers what.

Sarah should not be leaning on the couch

Sarah should be throwing the couch

It has been too long, Sarah

We need more couch throwing

I comment on the couch because I know more about throwing couches than I do about how to change English adjectives and pronouns

24 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

We need more couch throwing

I comment on the couch because I know more about throwing couches than I do about how to change English adjectives and pronouns

Couch throwing needs to be an Olympic  event.

And yeah, I've really go nothing for English, other than I now see the need for a different term for form vs identity.

8 minutes ago, mlooney said:

Couch throwing needs to be an Olympic  event.

This year's Olympic Games are scheduled for Tokyo

IF they manage to hold the games this year, the traditional Japanese Futon is quite a throwable object

Imagine thousands of Futons, overused from months of Couch Potato Isolation, being thrown into a live volcano by athletes from all over the world...

Should points be strictly awarded for distance, or should this include artistic impression as part of the throw?

1 minute ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

IF they manage to hold the games this year, the traditional Japanese Futon is quite a throwable object

Imagine thousands of Futons, overused from months of Couch Potato Isolation, being thrown into a live volcano by athletes from all over the world...

Should points be strictly awarded for distance, or should this include artistic impression as part of the throw?

I thought that they were put off until 2021 regardless.

As to the sport of couch throwing, there will be, of course, several versions. Biggest couch.  Distance thrown. Most artsy toss...

Just rereading today's comic and noticed something I missed on the first pass.  Tedd's "I am a genus" statement didn't sit well with Susan.

9 hours ago, Scotty said:

and at the same time, you can't fault Dan for not knowing who all prefers what.

Well, technically, he COULD make a poll and at least find out HOW MANY prefers what ... but I don't really fault him for not doing it.

9 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

... didn't stopped me :)

8 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

... I don't think it would be fair to assume that making the volcano explode in nice way is a skill one can acquire and not just dumb luck ...

2 hours ago, mlooney said:

Just rereading today's comic and noticed something I missed on the first pass.  Tedd's "I am a genus" statement didn't sit well with Susan.

Well, her idea wasn't exactly genius-level.

3 hours ago, mlooney said:

Well, considering that she was taking Susan's suggestion and declaring herself a genius for it...

Just now, Don Edwards said:

Well, considering that she was taking Susan's suggestion and declaring herself a genius for it...

Yeah, that's not cool.

Susan and Tedd have annoyed each other for as long as they have been aware of each other

No matter how many mutual friends they have or how much they may grudgingly respect each other, annoying each other will still come first

Is there some way we can prove they are actually siblings?

16 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

"Fire futon torpedos!"

6 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

"Fire futon torpedos!"

\me makes a note on The List.  We will have  none of that dude.

4 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Well, technically, he COULD make a poll and at least find out HOW MANY prefers what ... but I don't really fault him for not doing it.

Even a poll wouldn't account for new readers that come along later.

He did do a poll asking how people would feel about using feminine/masculine instead of female/male, the majority was cool with it, but there were some against and many were indifferent.

35 minutes ago, Scotty said:

He did do a poll asking how people would feel about using feminine/masculine instead of female/male, the majority was cool with it, but there were some against and many were indifferent.

I don't recall that poll.  Where did he do it?

5 hours ago, mlooney said:

I really should start using twitter...

51 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Words I never thought I'd see ...

There are just enough people that use it that I sorta want to follow that I should log on every day or so.

1 hour ago, mlooney said:

There are just enough people that use it that I sorta want to follow that I should log on every day or so.

I'm not judging. It just, well, boggles my mind, I guess. But I get what you're saying. I tend to read it now and then. And get sucked in like I used to do Facebook.

True story, I gave up Facebook a few years ago, and family have been  nagging me to get on. So I finally did it, and Facebook made it oh so painful that I'm probably not going to follow through. 'For security reasons' you must jump through this hoop. Now, for 'more security reasons' you must jump through this hoop that we didn't tell you about previously. Orly? You need my photo because you'd recognize me out of a crowd, is it? Don't go away mad, Zucky, just #uC% off.

17 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Susan and Tedd have annoyed each other for as long as they have been aware of each other

No matter how many mutual friends they have or how much they may grudgingly respect each other, annoying each other will still come first

Is there some way we can prove they are actually siblings?

It's funny that those two are exactly the two we know most about history of, so can be most certain they are not siblings.

9 hours ago, Scotty said:

8 hours ago, Scotty said:

... or for people who are not on twitter like me.

1 hour ago, Darth Fluffy said:

True story, I gave up Facebook a few years ago, and family have been  nagging me to get on. So I finally did it, and Facebook made it oh so painful that I'm probably not going to follow through. 'For security reasons' you must jump through this hoop. Now, for 'more security reasons' you must jump through this hoop that we didn't tell you about previously. Orly? You need my photo because you'd recognize me out of a crowd, is it? Don't go away mad, Zucky, just #uC% off.

Yeah, "for security reasons". Having privacy goes against security - especially against THEIR security.

Also, yes, facebook is identifying people in crowd on photos. At least for now it's just on photos.

5 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Also, yes, facebook is identifying people in crowd on photos. At least for now it's just on photos.

If I ever get so desperate to use that abomination that I actually am willing to put in a photo, I believe I'll borrow one from a friend...

maybe this friend...file.php?avatar=905_1588432270.jpg

or this one... file.php?avatar=24358_1432843782.png

17 hours ago, Don Edwards said:
23 hours ago, hkmaly said:

If I ever get so desperate to use that abomination that I actually am willing to put in a photo, I believe I'll borrow one from a friend...

maybe this friend...file.php?avatar=905_1588432270.jpg

or this one... file.php?avatar=24358_1432843782.png

Slack insisted on upgrading my profile with my photo taken with camera. I decided to use this face:

monchichi-vintage-blue-bunny-raccoon_360
(Technically, this is stock photo, my own monchichi looks bit differently, mostly less clean, but you get the idea.)

For google+, I actually used my own photo. Taken from like hundred meters, with camera already not top spec back then. I think my face had about five pixels on height. Good luck with identification.