• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
mlooney

Story Wednesday, May 20, 2020

Here is.

OK now I'm confused.  I'm still half convinced that pizza girl is Smoke, but it's only half now.  I have no clue what clues The Dan is trying to make here.

20 minutes ago, mlooney said:

I have no clue what clues The Dan is trying to make here.

Someone on facebook suggested that Diane has a spell that she doesn't know she has to make her "Magically Convincing" and that pizza girl is Smoke and got the spell from Diane, which is why she is saying she "isn't using it right".  Not sure I buy it, but it makes a fair amount of sense.

16 minutes ago, Illjwamh said:

So Diane has charmspeak and the delivery girl is a wizard. Got it.

Something like that.  Need to have Luke take a look at Diane to see if she has a mark or not.

52 minutes ago, mlooney said:
1 hour ago, mlooney said:

I have no clue what clues The Dan is trying to make here.

Someone on facebook suggested that Diane has a spell that she doesn't know she has to make her "Magically Convincing" and that pizza girl is Smoke and got the spell from Diane, which is why she is saying she "isn't using it right".  Not sure I buy it, but it makes a fair amount of sense.

After this page this seems like best explanation. In fact, I would say that Dan possibly overdid it ... on the other hand, I wouldn't guess it based on previous page alone ... only from hindsight I remembered how weird it was that everyone believed Diane.

And yes, obviously the girl would learn the spell considering she's wizard and was there.

Also, this supports the theory the girl is Smoke, at least in the "there shouldn't be that many wizards around" sense.

Hmmm ... girl who likes gossips having spell which helps her be convincing ... dangerous ...

28 minutes ago, mlooney said:

Need to have Luke take a look at Diane to see if she has a mark or not.

Diane is "half-elf". She should have big magical talent and was around lot of magic recently. She might've awakened.

... wait. There is another possibility. It can be the other way around with Diane being wizard and learning this spell from this girl not even knowing she did. However, in such case Diane would learn another spell soon if she didn't already.

37 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

It can be the other way around with Diane being wizard and learning this spell from this girl not even knowing she did. However, in such case Diane would learn another spell soon if she didn't already.

Like all the spells Tedd has put into the wand and Diane has watched get cast.

1 hour ago, mlooney said:

That is an interesting idea. My theory is Dan is trolling us by having Pizza Girl break the fourth wall and reference Diane's use of the oriental style comic font. In panel three Diane appears to use it correctly, per the theory that Pizza Girl uses it when she is covering up her real motives, but she fails to do so in panel five. On the other hand, panel three is a semi-legitimate reason, and in panel five she is either lying or in denial. Panel 6 & 7, Pizza Girl seems to have no trouble lying, she may have issues with Diane's reluctance to do so. (note the font, again)

But Diane isn't using some spell she isn't aware of to her best advantage fits the story better. We expect Diane has magic, but have not yet seen it. Pizza Girl, if she is smoke and a wizard, may have. Her shallow ethics may foreshadow her being an ongoing antagonist. Her face in panel six and her words seem to express a judgemental nature, which fits with the gossip affinity.

On another tangent, she may have learned the smoke transformation by seeing Camdin use it. (off camera)

Dan's use of that font does not seem at all consistent; to me it's no clue. Even the places he cites using it, the purpose does not seem the same. "<font>Hello</font>, I like your hair." - not getting why 'Hello' gets a font. Like "hello, I really like your hair." maybe? <shrug>

"Hey, Listen" is purely emphasis. "I am a virgin" seems to be as well.

2 hours ago, mlooney said:

Something like that.  Need to have Luke take a look at Diane to see if she has a mark or not.

Just a w.a.g. here, Diane, being the daughter of an elf, 1/4 immortal, may not need a magic mark. I had the impression 'potential vampire hunter' was intrinsic. With out exposure and stress she might have remained oblivious, but she's had plenty of both.

8 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:
2 hours ago, mlooney said:

Just a w.a.g. here, Diane, being the daughter of an elf, 1/4 immortal, may not need a magic mark. I had the impression 'potential vampire hunter' was intrinsic. With out exposure and stress she might have remained oblivious, but she's had plenty of both.

If I understand Luke's ability correctly, he would be able to tell if she had any sort of power, not just marks.   Witness his seeing Grace as uber powerful and the blinding flash he got from Tedd.  I suspect that it's all going to be moot by the time this party is over however.

Further stuff:

Pizza Girl's response to Diane in panel two is interesting, seems a bit more than startled at her suddenly running up, not as much as with Grace previously, but noticeable. But why? She must know more about Diane than anyone; Diane has not yet been that startling.

Thought crossed my mind for panel five, "'Defective female' back at ya, Diane", not being critical of her affinity, just the irony of her attraction to Justin, given her past words. To be fair, she apologized. 

Grace holds her hands weird, hanging down, backs forward; it is a trait. I guess it's squirrel-like. I'm sure everyone has noticed, but I've never seen it commented on. Wouldn't it stand out in, oh, say, a high school, for instance? Kids are mercilessly mocked for lesser traits.

1 minute ago, mlooney said:

If I understand Luke's ability correctly, he would be able to tell if she had any sort of power, not just marks.   Witness his seeing Grace as uber powerful and the blinding flash he got from Tedd.  I suspect that it's all going to be moot by the time this party is over however.

You're right. I don't think he knows how to interpret those results, hence the freak out, but he should still see it. Could Tedd learn to do that by watching Luke and build it into a watch (s)he could use to check people's aura's out?

1 minute ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Pizza Girl's response to Diane in panel two is interesting, seems a bit more than startled at her suddenly running up, not as much as with Grace previously, but noticeable. But why? She must know more about Diane than anyone; Diane has not yet been that startling.

If Pizza Girl is Smoke and if she got a spell for Diane, she now has Grace, who knows magic she can't learn and Diane, a magic user she has learned from in the same place at the same time.  Would not take much to start to think that there was a mage conspiracy going on that she just found.

Just now, Darth Fluffy said:

Could Tedd learn to do that by watching Luke and build it into a watch (s)he could use to check people's aura's out?

We know that Tedd can tell that Luke has that ability, but he learned that before he knew he could make a wand/watch out of spells he watched.  (no pun meant).  I suspect that Tedd will be thinking about making a wand/watch that can do that spell in the near term.

2 minutes ago, mlooney said:

If Pizza Girl is Smoke and if she got a spell for Diane, she now has Grace, who knows magic she can't learn and Diane, a magic user she has learned from in the same place at the same time.  Would not take much to start to think that there was a mage conspiracy going on that she just found.

Awareness of a gathering, ... she''d want in, acquiring spells seems to be a thing for her. Would they be wise enough to put her off?

How would she not know Nanase's spells? At least some of them that Nanase uses around the school? She should also know Nanase is a magic user (I mean, how is that not common knowledge, if she floats down halls), so seeing Nanase show up at the door shortly should cap it for her.

So, maybe Liz's foreshadowing about trouble at the party was about Pizza Girl? Not in an intentional way, more like 'trouble may find you', then here she is.

How would she not know Nanase's spells? At least some of them that Nanase uses around the school? She should also know Nanase is a magic user (I mean, how is that not common knowledge, if she floats down halls), so seeing Nanase show up at the door shortly should cap it for her.

Nanase has slowed down on her public magic use at school, so it's possible that Pizza Girl hasn't had a chance to acquire Nanase's spells yet.

So, maybe Liz's foreshadowing about trouble at the party was about Pizza Girl? Not in an intentional way, more like 'trouble may find you', then here she is.

Oh, good point.  We, and Elliot, were thinking in terms of big bads, not a wizard who just wants new spells, who may or may not be "bad", much less evil.

Just now, mlooney said:

Nanase has slowed down on her public magic use at school, so it's possible that Pizza Girl hasn't had a chance to acquire Nanase's spells yet.

... hmm ... the girl is a gossip, she's heard rumors that Nanase can float down hallways, so even if she only recently became an awakened wizard, if she was desirous of acquiring magic, she'd know to target Nanase. Make sense?

... hmm ... the girl is a gossip, she's heard rumors that Nanase can float down hallways, so even if she only recently became an awakened wizard, if she was desirous of acquiring magic, she'd know to target Nanase. Make sense?

Yes, it does, but Nanase has gotten more "sneaky" about using spells at school.   Note here where she says "used to be about magic", strongly implying that she is more discreet than she was

Oh, good point.  We, and Elliot, were thinking in terms of big bads, not a wizard who just wants new spells, who may or may not be "bad", much less evil.

To misquote Forest Gump, "Evil is as Evil does." Pizza Girl has potential to be a main antagonist. Of course, she could be benign, and just join their group, that was my initial impression, but that doesn't seem to be in the card for her. Panel six; she's not going to be a friend. Not for a while and not with out a change of heart, but in EGS, she might.

2 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:
7 minutes ago, mlooney said:

To misquote Forest Gump, "Evil is as Evil does." Pizza Girl has potential to be a main antagonist. Of course, she could be benign, and just join their group, that was my initial impression, but that doesn't seem to be in the card for her. Panel six; she's not going to be a friend. Not for a while and not with out a change of heart, but in EGS, she might.

I'm not getting an antagonist vibe off of her right now.  I can see why some one would take panel 6 as being that way, but I was just thinking that she didn't like the way that Diane was using the charm spell, assuming that is what it is, not that she was hostile towards Diane or even Grace.

Yes, it does, but Nanase has gotten more "sneaky" about using spells at school.   Note here where she says "used to be about magic", strongly implying that she is more discreet than she was

Yes, and see panel five in your link, it's a work in progress.

Adrian knows about Tedd's mom, taught her, he should know something about her family, so should be aware of Nanase. Especially if she's floated at school, might have noticed her when he locked down the school to fight Abraham, should have 'tasted' her magic, although maybe that was overwhelmed by how much magic was going on, and should have been aware through the aftermath. Although the evidence we've seen is to the contrary; he thought Grace and Ellen were a couple when he interviewed Grace prior to taking her to confront the boar.

I wonder if, during his day to day teaching, in his disguised form, he can taste magic.

2 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:

I wonder if, during his day to day teaching, in his disguised form, he can taste magic.

Given that his day to day form is just an illusion, I suspect he can.  I also suspect that every student that he "likes" is a mage of one sort or another.  Every one we know about him taking a shine to are magic users of one sort or another.

4 minutes ago, mlooney said:

I'm not getting an antagonist vibe off of her right now.  I can see why some one would take panel 6 as being that way, but I was just thinking that she didn't like the way that Diane was using the charm spell, assuming that is what it is, not that she was hostile towards Diane or even Grace.

Whatever she's got going on, it's mild now.

Putting this in perspective, she's a judgemental teen. In a healthy, nurturing environment, she'd grow out of it. But not everyone does; the reinforcing feedback from gossipy friends isn't healthy. The squinting seems to say that in her head, things are festering.

Whatever she's got going on, it's mild now.

Putting this in perspective, she's a judgemental teen.

She's not only a judgemental teen, she's a gossipy teen, which is a worse combo.  That being said, I suspect she more into gathering new spells than engaging is hijinks.  Just my current thought about her.  I'm more than willing to change based on how she acts over the next couple of comics, of course.