• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
mlooney

Story Wednesday, May 20, 2020

Just now, mlooney said:

She's not only a judgemental teen, she's a gossipy teen, which is a worse combo.  That being said, I suspect she more into gathering new spells than engaging is hijinks.  Just my current thought about her.  I'm more than willing to change based on how she acts over the next couple of comics, of course.

True. Smoke was a bit judgemental as well, see panel six. Appears out of nowhere and intrudes on your conversation, then calls you rude for asking ... it ... to leave? Yeah, also inaccurate.

13 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:

True. Smoke was a bit judgemental as well, see panel six. Appears out of nowhere and intrudes on your conversation, then calls you rude for asking ... it ... to leave? Yeah, also inaccurate.

Like I said, not really tied to the idea the Pizza Girl/Smoke isn't evil, just she doesn't hit me that way so far any way.  Might change in a couple of comics of course.

Just now, Darth Fluffy said:

That is an interesting idea. My theory is Dan is trolling us by having Pizza Girl break the fourth wall and reference Diane's use of the oriental style comic font. In panel three Diane appears to use it correctly, per the theory that Pizza Girl uses it when she is covering up her real motives, but she fails to do so in panel five. On the other hand, panel three is a semi-legitimate reason, and in panel five she is either lying or in denial. Panel 6 & 7, Pizza Girl seems to have no trouble lying, she may have issues with Diane's reluctance to do so. (note the font, again)

I feel the comment of "not using it correctly" means "saying the loud part quiet and quiet part loud" in which case panel 5's dialog should have been where the font got used, or better yet, Diane shouldn't have said panel 5's dialog at all. I feel like Gossip/Pizza girl would have just learned to tell when someone is trying to deflect or attract attention, which would have been the case for both herself in this instance, and when Diane made her announcement in the cafeteria, Diane's "hello" to Tedd may also have been to keep from drawing attention to the fact that Tedd was transformed. Right now though, Diane was clearly distracted by Justin's fem form and failed to.

2 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

On another tangent, she may have learned the smoke transformation by seeing Camdin use it. (off camera)

"May"? Ok, we technically don't know for sure, but it was heavily implied that smoke got the transformation by seeing Camdin use it off panel.

"Hey, Listen" is purely emphasis. "I am a virgin" seems to be as well.

It seemed so at first. However, note how everyone accepted it and noone tried to suggest she's lying. Even DIANE HERSELF didn't believed how well it went.

2 hours ago, mlooney said:

If I understand Luke's ability correctly, he would be able to tell if she had any sort of power, not just marks.   Witness his seeing Grace as uber powerful and the blinding flash he got from Tedd.  I suspect that it's all going to be moot by the time this party is over however.

True, but with him having little experience, he might be unable to decipher it. It's possible Diane as half-elf would be so powerful she would seem awakened even if she isn't ... assuming she actually needs to go through awakening as normal people.

Could Tedd learn to do that by watching Luke and build it into a watch (s)he could use to check people's aura's out?

Yes. And he wouldn't be first to do that - how do you think the analyzer wand used to scare him as child was created?

but he learned that before he knew he could make a wand/watch out of spells he watched

... but yes, he might need to watch Luke little more.

1 hour ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Nanase has slowed down on her public magic use at school, so it's possible that Pizza Girl hasn't had a chance to acquire Nanase's spells yet.

... hmm ... the girl is a gossip, she's heard rumors that Nanase can float down hallways, so even if she only recently became an awakened wizard, if she was desirous of acquiring magic, she'd know to target Nanase. Make sense?

She might even saw Nanase herself BUT that was probably before she became wizard.

1 hour ago, mlooney said:

To misquote Forest Gump, "Evil is as Evil does." Pizza Girl has potential to be a main antagonist. Of course, she could be benign, and just join their group, that was my initial impression, but that doesn't seem to be in the card for her. Panel six; she's not going to be a friend. Not for a while and not with out a change of heart, but in EGS, she might.

I'm not getting an antagonist vibe off of her right now.  I can see why some one would take panel 6 as being that way, but I was just thinking that she didn't like the way that Diane was using the charm spell, assuming that is what it is, not that she was hostile towards Diane or even Grace.

She is not antagonist in a "Big bad" sense and is unlikely to kill anyone, but she CAN become a school-level antagonist and "fight" with our group with gossips.

1 hour ago, mlooney said:

I wonder if, during his day to day teaching, in his disguised form, he can taste magic.

Given that his day to day form is just an illusion, I suspect he can.  I also suspect that every student that he "likes" is a mage of one sort or another.  Every one we know about him taking a shine to are magic users of one sort or another.

Not SPECIFICALLY mage (awakened magic user) but someone with magic talent. And yes he knows very well that Nanase is awakened magic user but either don't want to mess with her family (again) or is directly forbidden from teaching her magic by her mother.

29 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Diane's "hello" to Tedd may also have been to keep from drawing attention to the fact that Tedd was transformed.

Yes. Diane's used the "hello" because she DID noticed SOMETHING weird on Tedd but deliberately decided to not push it and pretend she didn't. It remains open if her detective talent was enough to realize specifically that Tedd is transformed.

23 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

"May"? Ok, we technically don't know for sure, but it was heavily implied that smoke got the transformation by seeing Camdin use it off panel.

Where? All Camdin eating a sandwich said is "This isn't Camdin." The only reason I think she might have copied it is we think Smoke likes to copy spells, and Camdin is the only other person we've seen with this ability. But two people getting the same magic mark isn't that much of a stretch, either.

It seemed so at first. However, note how everyone accepted it and noone tried to suggest she's lying. Even DIANE HERSELF didn't believed how well it went.

So you're saying, it indicates the persuasion spell in use. That fits, fits well, in fact. Kudos. Pizza Gal uses it to cover her lies, and Diane uses it unknowingly to make a point. Mostly fits, 'Hello' is still weird. So Pizza Gal is right, Diane doesn't know how to use it.

True, but with him having little experience, he might be unable to decipher it. It's possible Diane as half-elf would be so powerful she would seem awakened even if she isn't ... assuming she actually needs to go through awakening as normal people.

She seems to have both an affinity for magic and only a rudimentary awareness of it prior to the party. I would say she needs to awaken, she can't yet do magic on her own, but she's likely to have an easier time with it.

Yes. And he wouldn't be first to do that - how do you think the analyzer wand used to scare him as child was created?

The noise and such, but if you are saying that he might have sensed something more about it, that now seems likely. Recall that as an infant, he did not understand it as a mere testing device and resisted it. That seems maybe a little more than just passive.

She might even saw Nanase herself BUT that was probably before she became wizard.

So her earliest appearance as a wizard, assuming all of our conjecture is spot on, is as Smoke. At that point she seems to have a fair handle on what transformation magic is, and that Grace's magic isn't normal for their world - she's not a newbie. That was recent in terms of the current party. What would that level of competence suggest, how many months? How long has Nanase been more circumspect?

She is not antagonist in a "Big bad" sense and is unlikely to kill anyone, but she CAN become a school-level antagonist and "fight" with our group with gossips.

Not a big bad, yet. She has potential. A seeming disregard for others, 'I'm right about everything', more interest in making excuses than in being herself. She'll probably do the second part shortly, whether she develops into a big bad or not.

Not SPECIFICALLY mage (awakened magic user) but someone with magic talent. And yes he knows very well that Nanase is awakened magic user but either don't want to mess with her family (again) or is directly forbidden from teaching her magic by her mother.

Yeah, 'I don't want to intrude on Tedd's life' might apply to Nanase as well.

48 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Yes. Diane's used the "hello" because she DID noticed SOMETHING weird on Tedd but deliberately decided to not push it and pretend she didn't. It remains open if her detective talent was enough to realize specifically that Tedd is transformed.

Uhm, a particularly persuasive 'Hello' still says 'hello'. You'd thing she'd have applied it to the second part, 'I like your hair', for any one of several reasons. Still going to start looking at that font as 'magic in use' and see if it becomes clearer.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

I feel the comment of "not using it correctly" means "saying the loud part quiet and quiet part loud" in which case panel 5's dialog should have been where the font got used, or better yet, Diane shouldn't have said panel 5's dialog at all. I feel like Gossip/Pizza girl would have just learned to tell when someone is trying to deflect or attract attention, which would have been the case for both herself in this instance, and when Diane made her announcement in the cafeteria, Diane's "hello" to Tedd may also have been to keep from drawing attention to the fact that Tedd was transformed. Right now though, Diane was clearly distracted by Justin's fem form and failed to.

Huh. If the font means the same thing regardless of who uses it, Pizza Girl could have learned the spell from Diane's outburst in the cafeteria. In which case, she's kind of right, she's learned to use it more effectively in her conceits than Diane has; but Diane seems honest enough to not have wanted to go that route. Ultimately, Diane wants to be a better person, evidenced by her argument with her twelve year old self in the mirror, whereas Pizza Girl does not seem to give a rat's hind quarters.

2 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Where? All Camdin eating a sandwich said is "This isn't Camdin." The only reason I think she might have copied it is we think Smoke likes to copy spells, and Camdin is the only other person we've seen with this ability. But two people getting the same magic mark isn't that much of a stretch, either.

Do we know of ANY case where two people got the same magic mark?

What you talk about is exactly the heavy implication. Well, what you talk about combined with Chekhov gun of Camdin being established as character before we saw smoke.

So you're saying, it indicates the persuasion spell in use. That fits, fits well, in fact. Kudos. Pizza Gal uses it to cover her lies, and Diane uses it unknowingly to make a point. Mostly fits, 'Hello' is still weird. So Pizza Gal is right, Diane doesn't know how to use it.

Yes. Everything fits. Not sure about exact nature of the spell, but it will be something like persuasion ...

She seems to have both an affinity for magic and only a rudimentary awareness of it prior to the party. I would say she needs to awaken, she can't yet do magic on her own, but she's likely to have an easier time with it.

Hmmm ... I would say that she CAN do magic of her own because she just did ... but it's true that Justin could use illusions before being awakened, so we can't rule out this is similar case.

The noise and such, but if you are saying that he might have sensed something more about it, that now seems likely. Recall that as an infant, he did not understand it as a mere testing device and resisted it. That seems maybe a little more than just passive.

That's not what I was talking about. I meant that some other seer before him analyzed spell like Luke's and created the scary magic analyzer wand by copying it.

Is there some limit on number of quotes? It stopped working so I started another comment ...

So her earliest appearance as a wizard, assuming all of our conjecture is spot on, is as Smoke. At that point she seems to have a fair handle on what transformation magic is, and that Grace's magic isn't normal for their world - she's not a newbie. That was recent in terms of the current party. What would that level of competence suggest, how many months? How long has Nanase been more circumspect?

Actually, her earliest appearance as a wizard would be in Diane's story, that was before the Smoke wasn't it?

Meanwhile, Nanase is likely more careful for longer than half year. In fact, she was burned out for half year and she was definitely more careful afterwards.

She may have few months of experience.

Not a big bad, yet. She has potential. A seeming disregard for others, 'I'm right about everything', more interest in making excuses than in being herself. She'll probably do the second part shortly, whether she develops into a big bad or not.

She has potential but she will likely be "solved" before she fully reaches it. Unless she's supposed to return after Lord Tedd or something.

Uhm, a particularly persuasive 'Hello' still says 'hello'. You'd thing she'd have applied it to the second part, 'I like your hair', for any one of several reasons. Still going to start looking at that font as 'magic in use' and see if it becomes clearer.

Well, she's not using it correctly :)

Also, the effect might be LITTLE different than simple persuasion. But, well, yes I'm also not sure what it could've done, so the "not using it correctly" seems more likely.

Huh. If the font means the same thing regardless of who uses it, Pizza Girl could have learned the spell from Diane's outburst in the cafeteria. In which case, she's kind of right, she's learned to use it more effectively in her conceits than Diane has; but Diane seems honest enough to not have wanted to go that route. Ultimately, Diane wants to be a better person, evidenced by her argument with her twelve year old self in the mirror, whereas Pizza Girl does not seem to give a rat's hind quarters.

Yes exactly what I meant. And yes she learned to use it more effectively because she deliberately trained it, while Diane didn't had that much opportunities to even notice what she's doing.

7 hours ago, hkmaly said:

I'm so used to there being cosmic or magical antagonist if EGS it didn't occur to me that they might have a mundane one, granted one that might have some magical powers.  Strikes me as a bit off brand for EGS.

8 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Good point.  If Diane, in fact, has a spell, this might have been her first time using it, and didn't know she was doing so.  Much like Justin and his kicking of the not-fire dude.

This is also possible, as we know he has problems telling a physical adept (i.e. Justin) who is awakened from one that has a mark.

9 hours ago, mlooney said:

Given that his day to day form is just an illusion, I suspect he can.  I also suspect that every student that he "likes" is a mage of one sort or another.  Every one we know about him taking a shine to are magic users of one sort or another.

Aside from Noah, who is his ward, have we seen any indication that he is teaching magic to students?

8 hours ago, Scotty said:

Diane's "hello" to Tedd may also have been to keep from drawing attention to the fact that Tedd was transformed.

I suspect that Diane knows and her knowledge of Tedd's gender status will be shown in the next few comics.  Or maybe in the next dozen comics, at any rate before the party is over.

7 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Yeah, the "Hello" being in the odd font does present as bit of a puzzle as the why it was used.

7 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Smoke may not be a newbie, but he or she is self trained, or at least Grace thinks that.

3 hours ago, mlooney said:

Smoke may not be a newbie, but he or she is self trained, or at least Grace thinks that.

Other than Susan and Tedd, they are pretty much all self trained; Elliot even has to be frequently prompted to read his spell book. Smoke could be motivated enough to keep up.

9 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Do we know of ANY case where two people got the same magic mark?

No, and from the point of view of bored immortals, that might be sub-optimal entertainment. But there's always a chance of two immortals applying similar effects.

What you talk about is exactly the heavy implication. Well, what you talk about combined with Chekhov gun of Camdin being established as character before we saw smoke.

I wonder if Chekhov owned a gun, which is now on display in a museum with the identifying placard, 'Chekhov's gun'.

Yes. Everything fits. Not sure about exact nature of the spell, but it will be something like persuasion ...

It makes a lot of sense, and fits Dan's "I've given several clues".

Hmmm ... I would say that she CAN do magic of her own because she just did ...

She used a wand. I'm not counting that as 'on her own' because anyone can do that. Several have.

... but it's true that Justin could use illusions before being awakened,  ...

I don't recall he could do that. Do you remember where?

That's not what I was talking about. I meant that some other seer before him analyzed spell like Luke's and created the scary magic analyzer wand by copying it.

Oh. I took it to be Uryuom tech. You could be correct.

Is there some limit on number of quotes? It stopped working so I started another comment ...

There probably is, but it's also probably adequately big. You are probably bumping up against a character limit.

Actually, her earliest appearance as a wizard would be in Diane's story, that was before the Smoke wasn't it?

Meanwhile, Nanase is likely more careful for longer than half year. In fact, she was burned out for half year and she was definitely more careful afterwards.

She may have few months of experience.

If Pizza Girl is Smoke, which is TBD, she appears in Diane's story, during the table standing diatribe, and may have observed Diane, but she is not yet shown to be a wizard at that point. Even what she says is unrelated to wizardly doings, at least at face value. (She could use her magic to enhance her gossip) The timing of Diane and Smoke is close together, given the pace of the comic progression, days apart at most. I'm not seeing it matters which came first.

I think she shows some sophistication in the Smoke segment, (already stated) and would guesstimate several months, maybe even a very few years. Maybe not. Rhoda picked things up quickly. Whatever, she fairly clearly has some by the time Smoke happens; so if they are the same person, which seems likely, she should have been able to copy Diane. Could she then figure out in a week or two how to make better (for her purposes) use of it than Diane in a couple of weeks? Yes, given that she is motivated and into this, whereas Diane is unaware.

The icing on the cake is the current follow-up that caused the cascading speculation, her third appearance if all else is correct.

I'm curious if her persuasion is actually working on Grace, or if Grace is just being polite. Could be a bit of both, or the spell doesn't care how it manifests.

Everything you said about Nanase is true, but 'she floats down the halls' is not something the crowd at large will forget.

She has potential but she will likely be "solved" before she fully reaches it. Unless she's supposed to return after Lord Tedd or something.

I wonder if Dan's writing is evolving, and he is seeing the need for a stable antagonist.

Also, the effect might be LITTLE different than simple persuasion. But, well, yes I'm also not sure what it could've done, so the "not using it correctly" seems more likely.

It seems to be one isolated rather specific bad example, though. And backward, 'Hello' should be normal, and 'I like your hair' should be fonted. No?

Yes exactly what I meant. And yes she learned to use it more effectively because she deliberately trained it, while Diane didn't had that much opportunities to even notice what she's doing.

... and she probably reads her spell book.

2 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

I'm too busy to speculate about fonts, so I'll just say this and leave you folk to it:

But that is where all the action is right now.

I am confuzed

The girl delivering pizza sees some people she recognizes from school, but there may be something different about them?

The only thing that would justify the series of exaggerated reactions is if she went there deliberately expecting to see something, and has seen something else that is very much not expected

I need Pizza Person's Point of View

Taking things to mean more than they do, Pizza Girl's had in panel 2 rises several inches above her head. What phenomenon would cause this? In real life, the wind could do this, but her hat does not blow away, in fact, it flops back down askew. So Dan means this to show she is surprised ... in the EGS universe, surprise causes telekinesis? Cool, I guess.

"Boo!" - Whoosh - Slam - "Oww"

"Sorry, you startled me."

16 hours ago, mlooney said:
On 5/21/2020 at 6:29 AM, hkmaly said:

I'm so used to there being cosmic or magical antagonist if EGS it didn't occur to me that they might have a mundane one, granted one that might have some magical powers.  Strikes me as a bit off brand for EGS.

Melissa, Bad Tom, ...

15 hours ago, mlooney said:

Good point.  If Diane, in fact, has a spell, this might have been her first time using it, and didn't know she was doing so.  Much like Justin and his kicking of the not-fire dude.

Exactly.

This is also possible, as we know he has problems telling a physical adept (i.e. Justin) who is awakened from one that has a mark.

Yes, although I would note that I don't think there is any distinction between "physical adept" and other magic user.

Aside from Noah, who is his ward, have we seen any indication that he is teaching magic to students?

Yes, of course we did. Edward Verres and Noriko. And Nanase's mother.

Oh, you mean recently. No. But does it tells more about how many he is teaching or how secret he is with it?

On 5/21/2020 at 6:32 AM, hkmaly said:

I suspect that Diane knows and her knowledge of Tedd's gender status will be shown in the next few comics.  Or maybe in the next dozen comics, at any rate before the party is over.

If she doesn't know yet, she will realize it before the party is over.

12 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Other than Susan and Tedd, they are pretty much all self trained; Elliot even has to be frequently prompted to read his spell book. Smoke could be motivated enough to keep up.

Even Susan and Tedd are self-trained.

11 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:
21 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Hmmm ... I would say that she CAN do magic of her own because she just did ...

She used a wand. I'm not counting that as 'on her own' because anyone can do that. Several have.

I meant the "persuasion" spell.

22 hours ago, hkmaly said:

... but it's true that Justin could use illusions before being awakened,  ...

I don't recall he could do that. Do you remember where?

I don't need to remember, I have wiki. Here he used it and here it was reminded and declared canon.

12 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Oh. I took it to be Uryuom tech. You could be correct.

Hmmm ... well, it also might be. There are enough similarities between Uryuom tech and magic for Tedd's sight working on them and for Tedd to not realize he's actually researching magic for some time. Third option is it's actually augmented magic and Uryuom technology.

However, I think that the idea you could detect if person awakened wouldn't appear without such spell being analyzed by seer in past. Like, Uryuom don't awaken (they detect as awakened all the time), so they must've used something to calibrate it if it was Uryuom origin.

I think she shows some sophistication in the Smoke segment, (already stated) and would guesstimate several months, maybe even a very few years. Maybe not. Rhoda picked things up quickly. Whatever, she fairly clearly has some by the time Smoke happens; so if they are the same person, which seems likely, she should have been able to copy Diane. Could she then figure out in a week or two how to make better (for her purposes) use of it than Diane in a couple of weeks? Yes, given that she is motivated and into this, whereas Diane is unaware.

Ok. I can upgrade my estimate from few months to several months if you consider it different :)

Everything you said about Nanase is true, but 'she floats down the halls' is not something the crowd at large will forget.

My point was that she knows ABOUT it, possibly even SAW it, but she wasn't able to COPY that spell because she wasn't awakened at that point yet.

I wonder if Dan's writing is evolving, and he is seeing the need for a stable antagonist.

I'm not sure if those two parts of sentence are related.

It seems to be one isolated rather specific bad example, though. And backward, 'Hello' should be normal, and 'I like your hair' should be fonted. No?

Either it's hint that the spell is something little different from persuasion OR it shows how incorrectly she's using it.

I'm curious if her persuasion is actually working on Grace, or if Grace is just being polite. Could be a bit of both, or the spell doesn't care how it manifests.

Good question. Grace is Uryuom AND has quite high magic resistance.

... and she probably reads her spell book.

Actually probably not because where would she get one?

Taking things to mean more than they do, Pizza Girl's had in panel 2 rises several inches above her head. What phenomenon would cause this? In real life, the wind could do this, but her hat does not blow away, in fact, it flops back down askew. So Dan means this to show she is surprised ... in the EGS universe, surprise causes telekinesis? Cool, I guess.

It's possible that it's caused by hair fairies. Or it's artistic license. Hard to say in EGS.

19 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Huh, I meant Sarah, typed Susan, and realizing Susan was trained, too. And Nanase.

Most of the characters are fully self taught, other than their spell books. (Which is actually also training, if you use it).

Sarah did some self discovery, but she had her spell explained to her by Pandora.

Tedd was doing well by himself, but Pandora had a session with him and enlightened him on details.

Susan and Nanase, both had some counseling from the two immortals in France. They gave Susan the item retrieval skill.

Ah. That's still a TBD. You are probably right, but until the reveal ...

I don't need to remember, I have wiki. Here he used it and here it was reminded and declared canon.

Hmm. For having that, he doesn't seem to use it. I wonder why?

My point was that she knows ABOUT it, possibly even SAW it, but she wasn't able to COPY that spell because she wasn't awakened at that point yet.

That is true, but she would still know something was up at the party if she saw Nanase, a third magic user that she already know of, and that was the original point.

Dan has a habit of nerfing antagonists. Not all of them, not aberrations, but many change from hostile to just friendly folks. But an story with no tension is dull. He may be seeing the need for someone with reasonable goals and motivations that don't align with the main characters' goals.

Either it's hint that the spell is something little different from persuasion OR it shows how incorrectly she's using it.

Those notions make sense. I'm holding out for 'Dan changed his mind about what it meant'.

... do most of the magic users not have a spell book? I though they all got one, but we've seen some handed out, so if not that ...

It's possible that it's caused by hair fairies. Or it's artistic license. Hard to say in EGS.

It is indeed.

1 minute ago, Darth Fluffy said:
48 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Huh, I meant Sarah, typed Susan, and realizing Susan was trained, too. And Nanase.

Most of the characters are fully self taught, other than their spell books. (Which is actually also training, if you use it).

Sarah did some self discovery, but she had her spell explained to her by Pandora.

Tedd was doing well by himself, but Pandora had a session with him and enlightened him on details.

Susan and Nanase, both had some counseling from the two immortals in France. They gave Susan the item retrieval skill.

Well, ok, mostly self-trained. One session is not that much training.

1 minute ago, Darth Fluffy said:
49 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Ah. That's still a TBD. You are probably right, but until the reveal ...

Well, yes.

2 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:
49 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Hmm. For having that, he doesn't seem to use it. I wonder why?

Possibly because only thing it can accomplish is to attract attention he doesn't want?

3 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:
50 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

That is true, but she would still know something was up at the party if she saw Nanase, a third magic user that she already know of, and that was the original point.

I agree with that.

4 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:
51 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Dan has a habit of nerfing antagonists. Not all of them, not aberrations, but many change from hostile to just friendly folks. But an story with no tension is dull. He may be seeing the need for someone with reasonable goals and motivations that don't align with the main characters' goals.

That's not "nerfing" but yes ... Dan has habit of adding motivation to characters and in this often ends up "disabling" antagonist as an antagonist.

In this sense, antagonist with motivation not in conflict with him being antagonist might be seen as evolution of Dan's writing.

6 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:
54 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Those notions make sense. I'm holding out for 'Dan changed his mind about what it meant'.

Too recently. It's obvious that when he wrote the "hello" he already had this in mind.

Now, regarding what happened in Diane's story ...

7 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:
54 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

... do most of the magic users not have a spell book? I though they all got one, but we've seen some handed out, so if not that ...

IMHO most magic users are eventually found by DGB or similar organization, OR older magic users like Adrian, and get a spell book from them. Or they can get it from immortal who marked them.

However, only one who got spell book from Pandora is Rhoda, and she presumably marked LOT of people.

It's possible that Moperville specifically is an exception to general rule that most of the magic users have a spell book.

Note that even from main eight, just half do have spellbooks. Justin doesn't because Edward had total brain fart about not testing him, Sarah doesn't because she's keeping her spell secret, Grace doesn't because noone knew until recently Uryuom might need one, and Tedd doesn't because he keeps his abilities secret and probably doesn't need it as he can't get spells of his own anyway.
Now, DGB knows about Ashley being wizard. If she doesn't get a spellbook, we can assume that wizards are not expected to need one. But she is also very weak so they may wait with that. Or maybe they MUST wait for her to awaken ...

3 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Melissa, Bad Tom, ...

OK, point.

Yes, although I would note that I don't think there is any distinction between "physical adept" and other magic user.

Sorry TTRPG gamer speak.

Oh, you mean recently. No. But does it tells more about how many he is teaching or how secret he is with it?

I tend to follow the idea that unless it shows in the comic, it's not canon.  So there is no canon reason to assume that he is teaching magic to any one other than Noah.

15 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:
19 hours ago, mlooney said:

But other than Tedd, none of them are Wizards.  And it seems that wizards must be trained to be functional.