• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
mlooney

NP Saturday, May 23, 2020

18 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:
19 hours ago, hkmaly said:

I'm sure you can light it even faster with FOOF. Also, it will probably burn down completely. Along with the grass below it.
Now, question is if you find anyone crazy enough to try.

While lighting a grill with LOx borders on insanity, maybe even climbs over the fence, LOx has legitimate uses, such as the heavier part of launching the Saturn V to the moon. FOOF, on the other hand, you have to dwell in that yard to even prepare it. (Which I did not know before I read the article. I did not know this was a thing. But in hindsight, it makes some limited sense.) Gotta love that store below the boiling point of liquid nitrogen.

Just because you don't know what's something good for doesn't mean it's useless. That said, you probably do need to be crazy to work with it. Or at least to be near it - working with it remotely might be reasonably safe.
PS: Do you know about the other two? ClF3 and Azidoazide azide?

2 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Just because you don't know what's something good for doesn't mean it's useless. That said, you probably do need to be crazy to work with it. Or at least to be near it - working with it remotely might be reasonably safe.

Oh, no doubt you could think of legitimate uses for something that energetic, then as the Nazis found out, it's not worth the risk. Which is sort of what you're saying; not useless exactly, just so impractical that you be a fool to use it.

2 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:
6 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Oh, no doubt you could think of legitimate uses for something that energetic, then as the Nazis found out, it's not worth the risk. Which is sort of what you're saying; not useless exactly, just so impractical that you be a fool to use it.

1 minute ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Oh, wanted to mention, that 'store below minus 300 degrees F is a real sticking point, jacks up the cost enormously. Your conventional cryogenic fluids don't work as coolant.

1 minute ago, Darth Fluffy said:
8 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

I read CIF3. I got busy on some of his other articles, like the snake oil series.

His whole 'Things I won't work with' series is about stuff like this.

Still thinks these three are best. I've also had list "what made Azidoazide azide explode" (ending with "And my favourite - ABSOLUTELY NOTHING") ... but can't find it outside of this video ...